1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Could a USB device drain my CMOS battery?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by erocker, Oct 31, 2007.

  1. erocker

    erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Messages:
    41,643 (10.98/day)
    Thanks Received:
    17,144
    I just got home from work, and when my computer booted up, everything was back to default, and now it will no longer save. This obviously sounds like a dead battery to me, however they ususally don't just drain that fast. One thing that I did that I don't normally do is I left my HD-USB anttena plugged into the USB port. There was absolutely no power going to the PSU when I turned the machine off last nite as usual. So, can it drain the battery?
     
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Thermopylae_480

    Thermopylae_480

    Joined:
    May 27, 2005
    Messages:
    3,685 (0.88/day)
    Thanks Received:
    401
    Location:
    Little Rock Arkansas, United States
    No, it can't.
     
    erocker says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. erocker

    erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Messages:
    41,643 (10.98/day)
    Thanks Received:
    17,144
    Crap. I hope that the battery socket isn't screwed up...
     
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. patton45

    patton45

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2007
    Messages:
    179 (0.05/day)
    Thanks Received:
    11
    i had a similar problem with my dfi lanparty board it would not save the cmos and i actually tried three new batteris ulike you my mobo was new out of the box. well it ended up being a short circuit and so effective no power could be used from the battery cause the terminal was shorted i would use a volt meter to see if the mobo has current through your battery terminal
     
  5. tigger

    tigger I'm the only one

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2006
    Messages:
    10,211 (2.61/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,423
    If its an oldish board,clean the connectiors on the battery socket,they may have tarnished or corroded a little making a slightly iffy connection to the battery.
     
    10 Year Member at TPU

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)