• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CPU Temperature High even idle :(

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, IceMan DD block
Memory G.SKILL F5-7200J3646F24GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
It is possible to have a faulty sensor, but unlikely.

thats good, then the issue is resolved. 53c Max is a good temp.

Glad it worked out, im off to make breakfast.

I don't know how this works i mean solved.
That screw i loose amd tight to do with it something or bios reverse?

You are fine, stop mucking with it

What stop Fu** with it :D hahaha joke bro... Oky :)

Thanks to all of you guys for helping me. I think this problem still not solved i will get back to you tomorrow untill then bye...

Inrun some test and see if there any issues then come back tomorrow bye thanks again all of you... :) your names hard to remember so all of guys meant all of you

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Did you guys rule out the cooler being faulty(i.e. dead/dying pump)? That was my first thought that came to mind when reading the first post. Was going to suggest popping a different cooler on it and see what happens but it looks a little too late for that now.

Cupla added thoughts ....

A. One thing to not going forward is that CLC type water cooling loses its efefctiveness over time. This is inevitable. Unlike OLC type AIOs and cusrtom loops, the CLC folks violate the 1st rule of water cooling ... "Never mix metals in a cooling loop" . This sets up a galvanic corrosion cell due to the wide difference in galvanic potential between the 2 metsls"

Nickel = 0.30
Copper = 0.35
Brass / Bronze = 0.40
Aluminum = 0.75 - 0.95

With "real water cooling", we are typically dealing with small differences in galvanic potential... typically at worst, 0.05 - 0.10. With aluminum, we are looking at 0.45 - 0.65. In a galvanic cell, the "less noble" metal "aluminum" will shed electrons which cause deposits to from on the "more noble" metals to which those electrons are drawn. Anyone who has ever owned a boat is familiar with this process as that's why you attach sacrificial zinc anodes

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/articles/marine-corrosion.asp

The problem created is two fold. 1) your radiator, especially at soldered joints will start to corrode away ... this will likely not be readily observable right away and is usually hidden by paint... 2) is that the biuld up or deposits in the blocks reduces air flow and insulated the heat movement from the copper baseplate to the coolant. If you monitor temps over time, this will usually be the first indication that things are changing. You can the effects of 4 years of usage here .... warning nerds and geeks my experience physical discomfort when viewing these photos:

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/

The issue is significantly exacerbated on CLC type sealed systems as being "no maintenance", you can not augment the initial corrosion inhibutors which have a useful life of only 18 - 24 months. In a custom loop or open CLC which allows the user to add additional inhibitors, you can perform "recommended maintenance" just as you do on your automobile's cooling system/. Such inhibitors do have anegative effect on thermal efficiiency and while we are generally willing to give up a few degrees on our cars, PC enthusiasts are generally less willing so smaller dosages are used which is why the recommended interval is 18 - 24 months.

So in the end, if using a CLC cooler like the Corsair's (basically anything OEM'd by Coolit and Asetec), Id recommend collecting data under specific loadings (i.e. RoG Real Bench), recording ambient as well as all pertient tpay more attention. If you want to avoid this situation on next build and don't want to do a custom loop, I'd recommend the AIOs from Swiftech (all copper) or EK (all copper or all aluminum). In addition to no dissimilar metals, you can add additional blocks (MoBo, GFX card, etc) additional radiators, reservoirs and anything else. The EK is real simple if ordered prefilled, tho I prefer to install myself when doing user builds.

Another little trick is to place a valve or at least an elbow w/ cap on the radiator drain port. 1) It allows you to easily drain and replace coolant... or 2) add more corrosion inhibitor at some point. Simply turn off the system, take the cap off the elbow, add a few drops of inhibitor and reapply the cap.

B. The CLC's typically have very low volume pumps ... the H100i was measured at 0.11 gpm... whereas custom loops and the OLCs mentioned above are 10 times that. As such, when you get any buildup, the pump does not have the ability to 'push' past it. You should also watch pump rpm and see if that's changing over time.

C. Never read temps in BIOS because you are not in fact "at idle" ... Idle, by definition, is when your system is at no load and Windows power saving measures have kicked in. If you load HWiNFO at startup and look at CPU speed, it will often remain at full OC multilier ... it won't drop down to 800 MHz till after about 5 minutes

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Cupla added thoughts ....

A. One thing to not going forward is that CLC type water cooling loses its efefctiveness over time. This is inevitable. Unlike OLC type AIOs and cusrtom loops, the CLC folks violate the 1st rule of water cooling ... "Never mix metals in a cooling loop" . This sets up a galvanic corrosion cell due to the wide difference in galvanic potential between the 2 metsls"

Nickel = 0.30
Copper = 0.35
Brass / Bronze = 0.40
Aluminum = 0.75 - 0.95

With "real water cooling", we are typically dealing with small differences in galvanic potential... typically at worst, 0.05 - 0.10. With aluminum, we are looking at 0.45 - 0.65. In a galvanic cell, the "less noble" metal "aluminum" will shed electrons which cause deposits to from on the "more noble" metals to which those electrons are drawn. Anyone who has ever owned a boat is familiar with this process as that's why you attach sacrificial zinc anodes

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/articles/marine-corrosion.asp

The problem created is two fold. 1) your radiator, especially at soldered joints will start to corrode away ... this will likely not be readily observable right away and is usually hidden by paint... 2) is that the biuld up or deposits in the blocks reduces air flow and insulated the heat movement from the copper baseplate to the coolant. If you monitor temps over time, this will usually be the first indication that things are changing. You can the effects of 4 years of usage here .... warning nerds and geeks my experience physical discomfort when viewing these photos:

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/

The issue is significantly exacerbated on CLC type sealed systems as being "no maintenance", you can not augment the initial corrosion inhibutors which have a useful life of only 18 - 24 months. In a custom loop or open CLC which allows the user to add additional inhibitors, you can perform "recommended maintenance" just as you do on your automobile's cooling system/. Such inhibitors do have anegative effect on thermal efficiiency and while we are generally willing to give up a few degrees on our cars, PC enthusiasts are generally less willing so smaller dosages are used which is why the recommended interval is 18 - 24 months.

So in the end, if using a CLC cooler like the Corsair's (basically anything OEM'd by Coolit and Asetec), Id recommend collecting data under specific loadings (i.e. RoG Real Bench), recording ambient as well as all pertient tpay more attention. If you want to avoid this situation on next build and don't want to do a custom loop, I'd recommend the AIOs from Swiftech (all copper) or EK (all copper or all aluminum). In addition to no dissimilar metals, you can add additional blocks (MoBo, GFX card, etc) additional radiators, reservoirs and anything else. The EK is real simple if ordered prefilled, tho I prefer to install myself when doing user builds.

Another little trick is to place a valve or at least an elbow w/ cap on the radiator drain port. 1) It allows you to easily drain and replace coolant... or 2) add more corrosion inhibitor at some point. Simply turn off the system, take the cap off the elbow, add a few drops of inhibitor and reapply the cap.

B. The CLC's typically have very low volume pumps ... the H100i was measured at 0.11 gpm... whereas custom loops and the OLCs mentioned above are 10 times that. As such, when you get any buildup, the pump does not have the ability to 'push' past it. You should also watch pump rpm and see if that's changing over time.

C. Never read temps in BIOS because you are not in fact "at idle" ... Idle, by definition, is when your system is at no load and Windows power saving measures have kicked in. If you load HWiNFO at startup and look at CPU speed, it will often remain at full OC multilier ... it won't drop down to 800 MHz till after about 5 minutes

Sometimes the AIOs aint any better than air only heatsinks.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.

Most of the time they aren't... a noctua NH-15D performs better than most AIO - the AIO value comes from convenience and mounting options.

Im seriously considering putting my gtx 1080ti on the Corsair H105 exausting hot air and then getting a thermalright grand macho sucking in fresh air for the cpu.

Reverse the case airflow on the S340 and put dust filters on the back openings..

I have yet to see an AIO that outperformed a comparable priced air cooler. The H100i for example can just about match the thermal performance of a Noctua NH-D15 ($90), Cryorig R1 ($90), Scythe Mugen Max ($37) or Scythe Fuma ($45) but the H100i is 12 times as loud and costs more than all of those.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I have yet to see an AIO that outperformed a comparable priced air cooler. The H100i for example can just about match the thermal performance of a Noctua NH-D15 ($90), Cryorig R1 ($90), Scythe Mugen Max ($37) or Scythe Fuma ($45) but the H100i is 12 times as loud and costs more than all of those.

Heck mine is a slim cooler and handles this 2011/12 arch cpu at 5.0, idle is 43, gaming is 55.

zimilaci

Processor i7 7700k (soon to be replaced by 8700k)
Motherboard Asus Z170 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair AIO H110i GTX / Noctua
Memory Kingston DDR4 Hyper 3000 4x4GB Kit
Video Card(s) MSI GAMING X 1080TI
Storage SAMSUNG NVMe 950pro 512GB + 4TB WD Green + Some backup External disks
Display(s) Acer Predator XB321HK
Case Obsidian 750D
Power Supply Corsair RM750i 80+
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Rapoo
I have use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for my CPU Die and IHS and i test it back then Idle temps like 33c 35c
Max Temp like 56c 60c

and i have monitor it sometimes
no changes found. same as before.
no problem but lately i have updated my Motherboard BIOS

so few days later,today i though just check temp for make sure it is fine.
but i just found it i saw it
Temp is way to high
it go up to 72c
It stay between 60c, 70c temp

and my cooler going crazy
I have Corsair i115 liquid cooler
Fans just speed up automatically
It never do that before.

Can you please tell me whay this happens?

Now Idle stay like 40C :(

I really need you help bios update can do that?

Hi There,

I noticed exactly the same problem around the same time when you had the issue (after windows update/bios update . Since then I cleaned everything/changed the Thermal Compound twice, reinstalled windows, but nothing has solved my issue. Sometimes its working fine if I manually set the pump to performance, and the fans to 40% ...that does the job for a while... but still I am not sure where the problem is.

My Idle is sometimes at 60-70 and sometimes 30-33..... so yeah I have no clue but I can easily reach 100 Celsius :(((

I have an asus z170 Deluxe, I will try to rma the AIO Corsair... the same what you have as well....

I don't want to delid cause of warranty reasons....

Have you solved the issue already?

System Name TBeast
Processor Intel® Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA
Cooling TT Riing Floe 360 Rgb
Memory G.Skill 16384 MB 4000mhz cl18
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (GP102)
Storage SPCC M.2 PCIe SSD 512GB + T-FORCE 1TB
Display(s) LG 24GL600F (DisplayPort) 144hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply Corsair HX750I
Mouse Corsair Glaive 16k dpi
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapid Fire RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for my CPU Die and IHS and i test it back then Idle temps like 33c 35c
Max Temp like 56c 60c

and i have monitor it sometimes
no changes found. same as before.
no problem but lately i have updated my Motherboard BIOS

so few days later,today i though just check temp for make sure it is fine.
but i just found it i saw it
Temp is way to high
it go up to 72c
It stay between 60c, 70c temp

and my cooler going crazy
I have Corsair i115 liquid cooler
Fans just speed up automatically
It never do that before.

Can you please tell me whay this happens?

Now Idle stay like 40C :(

I really need you help bios update can do that?
Hello bro, something similar happens to me but in my case it is the cpu package that was previously between 35 40c and after an update of bios for asus maximus x formulated with my i9 9900k the cpu package increased from 55c 60c in idle and the truth is that it is quite uncomfortable to see those temperatures without doing anything, I want to know if you could solve or if any new update solved your problem, I dislike my English I am using translator. The version of bios I installed was 2203.

System Name Dark Flash Phantom
Processor i9-9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Z390 AORUS MASTER
Cooling RBG 2000 to 6000 rpm Fans
Memory 64Gb DDR4 3800Mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Super
Storage 5 Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Drives
Display(s) 55 inch Sony
Case Darkflash Phantom
Power Supply 1300 Watt
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 / Linux Duel Boot
Benchmark Scores https://www.gpumagick.com/scores/show.php?id=34679 https://valid.x86.fr/cs4dc6
I had the same issue with my i7-6700k rig, it ended up being air in my H115i which is three years old, they do loose water over time even in a sealed loop,so i cut one line at the radiator and filled it all they way up again and zip tied it back on and the problem went away. I can now push my delidded i7-6700k to 5 Ghz after refilling the aio cooler with temps staying below 70C. I used liquid metal on the die and heat spreader and used Grizzly Conductonaut on the H115i block.

Attachments

• Stress Test Temps.PNG
    Stress Test Temps.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:
System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 150W PPT limit, 79C temp limit, CO -9~14
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F37h, AGESA V2 1.2.0.B
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 with off center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MHz 1.42V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:288, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~465W (390W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.4.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR1000, VRR on
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v23H2, OSB 22631.3155)
Hello bro, something similar happens to me but in my case it is the cpu package that was previously between 35 40c and after an update of bios for asus maximus x formulated with my i9 9900k the cpu package increased from 55c 60c in idle and the truth is that it is quite uncomfortable to see those temperatures without doing anything, I want to know if you could solve or if any new update solved your problem, I dislike my English I am using translator. The version of bios I installed was 2203.
Are you familiar with BIOS settings? Maybe the new BIOS change some settings about idle states of the CPU. Did you do any BIOS setup months/years ago that maybe you dont remember? ...and you have to do them again...
CPU speed(MHz) and Volts are the same before and after the BIOS upgrade? The Windows power plan is the same?

System Name TBeast
Processor Intel® Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA
Cooling TT Riing Floe 360 Rgb
Memory G.Skill 16384 MB 4000mhz cl18
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (GP102)
Storage SPCC M.2 PCIe SSD 512GB + T-FORCE 1TB
Display(s) LG 24GL600F (DisplayPort) 144hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply Corsair HX750I
Mouse Corsair Glaive 16k dpi
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapid Fire RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yes, the bios are perfectly handled and the configurations are the same as I have always used, I have a photo of the hwinfo64 of October 13 and the package was 35-40c in idle, after that update to the bios of the asus maximus x formula version 2203, and after this I began to notice the increase in temperature of the cpu package

look at the temperatures even when the clock is at 1000mhz in all cores the package remains the same between 56-60c
4258754.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_121.png
    Screenshot_121.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Sin título556.jpg
    Sin título556.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 131
System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 150W PPT limit, 79C temp limit, CO -9~14
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F37h, AGESA V2 1.2.0.B
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 with off center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MHz 1.42V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:288, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~465W (390W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.4.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR1000, VRR on
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v23H2, OSB 22631.3155)
I cant come to a speculation let alone conclusion because the photos are not taken at the same load conditions.
At first pic the CPU is idle and the other below (556) is after load... so...