1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crossfire+physics (havok)

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Lazzer408, Jan 31, 2007.

1. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Hmm so basically it wont benefit from older games... Beh maybe I'll just get my x1950 and get another one later...

My main issue game right now is GR:AW and sooner or later will be Rainbow6 Las Vegas...

See what happens I guess. But ya that sounds cool I'll look into it a bit more for sure and see what I can / can't do.

Thanks!

2. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I was under the impression it take a 1000 series card for physics. It does not have to be used with an already crossfire enabled system. I believe I can even take my cards off of crossfire and actually use one for graphics and one for physics. Both my cards are matching btw. x1950pros.

To answer someone elses comment, I don't believe the 3rd physics card handles shaders. I believe shaders are a part of rendering not physics and will be calculated on the main rendering gpus, crossfire in my case.

I just bought this board, d975xbx2, not even considering the 3rd pcix slot for physics. I got a great deal on my 2 x1950s so that justified a motherboard upgrade to support crossfire. I wound up with new ram and a new cpu in the process but hey, I'm not complaining. :) I don't have alot of information on physics now but in the future I bet I could upgrade to a qx6800 and dual r600s in crossfire and keep an x1950 for physics... :respect: ...untill I get my electric bill! :twitch:

3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I think they were referring more to the fact that the shaders in the X1k series cards are programmable. The drivers will "reprogram" the shaders to run physics calculations. Much the same way that special versions of Folding@Home are programmed to be run on X1900 series cards.

4. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Oh that reminds me. I head someone mention once that there is an MP3 compression utility that is lightening fast because it uses the GPU. Have you heard anything about that? I bet that's the same thing it's doing... reprograming shaders and maybe using Avivo? :confused:

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    No I haven't heard of it, but I'm sure as hell interested if you find it. lol

6. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    x1k cards have highly programable shader units, these units can be used to do ANYTHING you can program to run on them.

as to mp3 encoder, no thanks if it was for ogg/flak or the like i would be intrested but mp3 format sucks.

if you want lightning fast conversions try dbpoweramp using the latest encoders i can get encode 48min audio file from flac to mp3 in under 3min, to ogg aotuv(lancer sse3 version) in just over 2 min, i use ogg because size for quility it KILLS mp3.
    i however do use mp3 for my old panasonic mp3 cd player, tho its kinda blah, my real audio player that played 5 formats got stolen :(

im considering getting a palm pc like the one my buddy got, its bit large for a pocket audio player but its quite capable and has TONS of power, has good sound and VERY good eq, also would let me play some RPG games my buddys got like everquest for the palm pc :)

should be fun if i deside to go that way.

7. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I hope ATi are smart enough to allow a 1+1 configuration like nvidia are supposed to be doing as well as allowing a 2+1 config.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    iirc, they did mention a 1+1 configuration in either a press release or one of their events. I also hope they allow 1+1. My X1800XT would make a great physics card, then throw in a nice dx10 card for gfx and I'm set.

9. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Ditto Mp3 is OLD!!! And now that Hollywood thinks they "OWN" MPEG format....

Because I guess its their team of programmers that built it so they have the right to copyright it...

Ogg/Flac For Life! Besides it just sounds soo much better..

10. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I use mostly lossless m4a's(Apple Lossless), due to the fact that I have an iPod. If Rockbox gets their firmware working on the 5.5gen iPods, I'll probably go back to flac. I just want the mp3 encoder mentioned above to experiment with.

EDIT: And although mp3 is old, it is still the most compatible. The average person can't tell the difference between a 320kbps mp3 and a flac file anyway. Only audiophiles pick up on the small differences. mp3 is probably here to stay.

Anyway, back on topic. Are there any current titles that will support Havok?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  11. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    That was my next question :)

Ya mp3 will stay... But I am an audiophile, so needless to say I don't even like output from my sound card in comparison to my home system. I haven't tried M4A thanks for bringing that up maybe I'll have to check that out.

12. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    makes scence. ill bet a decent dx10 card + something like an x1800xt for physics would return scores right in line with what 3x X1950xtx cards could do too. GPUs are way too CPU limited even with C2D chips. i forsee it not being long before it becomes mandatory that GPUs work exactly like they do for consoles due to bottleneck issues. that, or AMD release some super chip - thats not far fetched by any shot before anyone chimes in, now that amd have ati.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'm an audiophile, too. Regular m4a puts mp3 to shame. And I can't tell the difference between Apple Lossless m4a and flac, even with headphones and high volume.

14. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    They just need to start dropping C2D's on vid cards :)

Or multi processor mainboards have to become more popular for regular use...

I was so highly considering building a dual Xeon system before I remembered that I play computer games.... Not sure but the old Xeon's didn't do games very well...

15. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    What will encode M4A on a pc? Is it smaller than Flac? I have a flac encoder.

16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    iTunes is the only thing that I know of that does lossless m4a's, and they are usually around the same size as flac, maybe just a little smaller, but not by much. They're really handy if you own an iPod, but if you don't, flac is just fine. The non-lossless m4a's are far better than mp3's tho in terms of sound quality.

17. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good thanks, I'll probably keep using Flac then for now. I rip ALL my cd's onto my hard drives and re-burn them to dvds... I need bigger hard drives.. I never would have even used 60gigs in my life, but now I use my computer as a media storage device, and I use it for mixing my own music, video editing.... List goes on and my hard drives are always full....

18. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    x1300xt is a x1600pro not x1650pro btw :)

19. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    look at the perf charts mullered07 the x1300xt gives almost exectly the same perf as the 1650pro i know what i was saying, its best to keep it simple around some people, they get confused easly.

and the x1650pro and x1600pro are basickly the same card, just diffrent clocks :)

20. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I mainly use mp3 because I can burn a bunch to a cd and play in in my car. So I'll take every floyd album and stick them all on one disk. I had a set of electrostatics once but that was the end of my audiophile days. I don't even have a home theater system in the house yet because I really don't watch alot of TV. I did the whole house home theater at my sisters including building the inceiling subwoofer. That worked out very well. I couldn't for the life of me talk her into a media center pc though.
    As far as the ATI physics. Does it HAVE to be 2 ATI cards or will a 8800 with ATI physics actually work? Anyone know about this? I'll be talking to ATI Monday and I'll try to remember to ask them about the future of Havok and XF physics and compatability with other manufactures.

21. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Why wouldn't they do games very well? Every workstation board has whatever you need to play games. In fact Asus and Iwill have several boards aimed at enthusaists like us. Dual Xeon boards using i875, standard non-reg non-ecc RAM and AGP. There aren't any newer boards that use standard RAM, though there is no rule that forbids gaming using ECC/REG RAM. At least half the boards do have PEG slots, some even 2. Trust me, gaming on a Xeon machine works like a charm.
    Same goes for Opterons btw, in fact Opterons using NUMA can boast sick memory bandwidth :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    im not sure, but if i where amd i wouldnt make it so that you could use an nvidia card for video and amd card for ppu, just because it would be undermining market share to do so.

also their could easly be driver issues when using amd and nvidia in the same box, could be a realy PITA for amd to try and deal with nvidia driver issues, and knowing nvidia they would try and prevent that from working anyway, they im SURE plan their own gpu ppu solution, eventuly anyway.

23. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    I have to make this clear:
    X1600Pro = X1300XT (500/400Mhz DDR2)
    X1600XT=X1650Pro(600/700?Mhz DDR3):respect:

I guess somebody else mention it already. LOL

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  24. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:

I knew Opterons did... But in the past Xeons were horrible for gaming, it would be like running your favorite game on a ATI FIRE-GL... But I guess after really looking at them they have all the 3d acceleration stuff now... Hmm maybe I'll built a dual core / dual chip Xeon system :)

25. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Why the hell are those fireGL cards so damn expencive if there not that powerfull? I believe you I'm just wondering.