• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CS: Source, newb wants to build maps and server

System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus Prime z490-A
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
Hello All,

I think the time has come. I want to start a CS: Source server of my own for a few friends of mine and a LAN party or so.

What the hard part is finding good resources. I've hit google, and seen many guides. However, there are almost so many I don't know where to begin.

I guess I just need some help from you all. I know there some here on TechPower know a good place for someone like me to begin.

For a server, I heard you can use an old computer just to run a server for a few friends. I don't plan on making a server for more than 12 people or so. Mainly for my college campus. I'm going to hell for this statement, we're going to use an old Dell desktop for the server. Windows most likely, but Linux is a 10% possiblility.

Other than that, I'm in the water. I know I'll need Hammer.

Thank you for all your help, and this will be a fun project in the coming weeks. Who knows, I may make a Wiki to help others later on.

-Andrew

Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
12 people? You're going to need at least a 1Mb upload.

I'm currently running a CS Source Dedicated 16 player server on a 1Mb up/20Mb down and I get no problems. However before our upgrade when we were running 512kb up, I could barely handle 8 people.

If you run a dedicated server you don't need a hugely powerful server. Mine's running an old Athlon XP 1400 and half a Gb of RAM and it works fine.

The guides do help, but its a lot of work to setup a server.
I have never done that, but I know many people who did.
A good resource i usually use is FPS banana (www.fpsbanana.com/) for CS:S stuff.

Hey if you are ever looking for a server to play on I have a 24/7 one from gameservers.com
Yes it costs some money, but they setup everything for you.
Here is the info for the server:

Server Name: 27/7 Aztec/Dust2/Office || Team [PiL] Pub ||
IP Address: 66.55.149.43:27015

Also here is our website: http://pil.clanservers.com/

Sorry dont mean to hijack the thread.