• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dear Intel, If a Glaring Exploit Affects Intel CPUs and Not AMD, It's a Flaw

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel tried desperately in a press note late Wednesday to brush aside allegations that the recent hardware security-vulnerability are a "bug" or a "flaw," and that the media is exaggerating the issue, notwithstanding the facts that the vulnerability only affects Intel x86 processors and not AMD x86 processors (despite the attempt to make it appear in the press-release as if the vulnerability is widespread among other CPU vendors such as AMD and ARM by simply throwing their brand names into the text); notwithstanding the fact that Intel, Linux kernel lead developers with questionable intentions, and other OS vendors such as Microsoft are keeping their correspondence under embargoes and their Linux kernel update mechanism is less than transparent; notwithstanding the fact that Intel shares are on a slump at the expense of AMD and NVIDIA shares, and CEO Brian Kraznich sold a lot of Intel stock while Intel was secretly firefighting this issue.

The exploits, titled "Meltdown," is rather glaring to be a simple vulnerability, and is described by the people who discovered it, as a bug. Apparently, it lets software running on one virtual machine (VM) access data of another VM, which hits at the very foundations of cloud-computing (integrity and security of virtual machines), and keeps customers wanting cost-effective cloud services at bay. It critically affects the very business models of Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and Alibaba, some of the world's largest cloud computing providers; and strikes at the economics of choosing Intel processors over AMD, in cloud-computing data centers, since the software patches that mitigate the vulnerability, if implemented ethically, significantly reduce performance of machines running Intel processors and not machines running AMD processors (that don't require the patch in the first place). You can read Intel's goalpost-shifting masterpiece after the break.

Intel Responds to Security Research Findings
Intel and other technology companies have been made aware of new security research describing software analysis methods that, when used for malicious purposes, have the potential to improperly gather sensitive data from computing devices that are operating as designed. Intel believes these exploits do not have the potential to corrupt, modify or delete data.

Recent reports that these exploits are caused by a "bug" or a "flaw" and are unique to Intel products are incorrect. Based on the analysis to date, many types of computing devices - with many different vendors' processors and operating systems - are susceptible to these exploits.

Intel is committed to product and customer security and is working closely with many other technology companies, including AMD, ARM Holdings and several operating system vendors, to develop an industry-wide approach to resolve this issue promptly and constructively. Intel has begun providing software and firmware updates to mitigate these exploits. Contrary to some reports, any performance impacts are workload-dependent, and, for the average computer user, should not be significant and will be mitigated over time.

Intel is committed to the industry best practice of responsible disclosure of potential security issues, which is why Intel and other vendors had planned to disclose this issue next week when more software and firmware updates will be available. However, Intel is making this statement today because of the current inaccurate media reports.

Check with your operating system vendor or system manufacturer and apply any available updates as soon as they are available. Following good security practices that protect against malware in general will also help protect against possible exploitation until updates can be applied.

Intel believes its products are the most secure in the world and that, with the support of its partners, the current solutions to this issue provide the best possible security for its customers.
==END==

Linus Torvalds wrote an interesting comment on one of his Linux kernel mailers.
From Linus Torvalds <>

Date Wed, 3 Jan 2018 15:51:35 -0800

Subject Re: Avoid speculative indirect calls in kernel

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 3:09 PM, Andi Kleen wrote:

> This is a fix for Variant 2 in https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html

> Any speculative indirect calls in the kernel can be tricked to execute any kernel code, which may allow side channel attacks that can leak arbitrary kernel data.

Why is this all done without any configuration options?

A *competent* CPU engineer would fix this by making sure speculation doesn't happen across protection domains. Maybe even a L1 I$ that is keyed by CPL.

I think somebody inside of Intel needs to really take a long hard look at their CPU's, and actually admit that they have issues instead of writing PR blurbs that say that everything works as designed.

.. and that really means that all these mitigation patches should be written with "not all CPU's are crap" in mind.

Or is Intel basically saying "we are committed to selling you shit forever and ever, and never fixing anything"?

Because if that's the case, maybe we should start looking towards the ARM64 people more.

Please talk to management. Because I really see exactly two possibibilities:

Intel never intends to fix anything

OR

these workarounds should have a way to disable them.

Which of the two is it?

Linus

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Meltdown = Intel, and ARM
Spectre = Intel, AMD, ARM, and Power
Spectre is synonymous to Speculative Execution

https://spectreattack.com/

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
AMD EPYC CPU sales will be going through the roof for any new startup companies I imagine. I know I will be doing Ryzen 2 and Vega 2 for my next build, even if I have to take a performance hit. Just tired of all the crap. AMD was my first ever rig when I was a wee lad because it was all I could afford, and they served me well. It's time to go home and say goodbye to the crappy treatment of the gamer community, telemetry baked in, and login requirements for geforce experience.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Unfortunately, AMD processors are affected by "Spectre", as biffzinker noted. I was wrong earlier in assuming reading those registers would trigger a reboot everytime, as aparently, someone found a way to do all sorts of things with them...

Processor i7 4930k
Motherboard Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Memory 4 X 4096 MB G.Skill DDR3 1866 9-10-9-26
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GV-N780OC-3GD
Storage Crucial M4 128GB, M500 240GB, Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
Display(s) Planar PX2710MW 27" 1920x1080
Case Corsair 500R
Power Supply RAIDMAX RX-1200AE
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Meltdown = Intel Processors
Spectre = Intel, AMD, and ARM
Spectre is synonymous to Speculative Execution

https://spectreattack.com/
Some ARM processors are also vulnerable to Meltdown
Source:https://developer.arm.com/support/security-update
Unfortunately, AMD processors are affected by "Spectre", as biffzinker noted. I was wrong earlier in assuming reading those registers would trigger a reboot everytime, as aparently, someone found a way to do all sorts of things with them...
The point is that AMD processors are apparently not vulnerable to Meltdown and the performance hitting PITA patch is for Meltdown not Spectre, so the conspiracy theory is still there; Why the initial PITA patch flags all X86 machines instead of intel only?

System Name Xbox Series S
Processor AMD Zen2 8 core 3.6 GHz
Memory 10GB GDDR6
Video Card(s) RDNA2 with 20 CUs
Storage 512Gb SSD NVMe Internal + 8TB WD Black USB External
Display(s) Acer VG270U P 2k
In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society!

off topic... sorry! :D

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
The point is that AMD processors are apparently not vulnerable to Meltdown and the performance hitting PITA patch is for Meltdown not Spectre, so the conspiracy theory is still there; Why the initial PITA patch flags all X86 machines instead of intel only?

I didn't claim otherwise.

Note there is no patch for spectre, but given it's nature, when they find a way to handle it it will either be a.) very clever or b.) too expensive to performance to even consider. Frankly, I hope they come up with something extremely clever.

In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society!

off topic... sorry! :D

As if I needed another reason to hate Jar Jar... He allowed that. ;)

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Just got an update KB4056892, is this supposed to fix the meltdown flaw? I thought it was gonna take a lot longer?

:pimp:
9420c2869596c68a83f9dfe6b7091082fc32f52eec3a3fdf08140d95e18c2d3e.jpg

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

Uh, Spectre is the one without the fix, and it too affects all OSes (and linux, under default kernel settings)... It's by nature a hardware issue.

Who the heck made that chart? He doesn't know anything. I think both spectre 1 and 2 affect pretty much all known speculative execution processors atm. Maybe I'm mistaken here, but this article I read from a decently respectable publication suggests otherwise:

Read:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...odern-processor-has-unfixable-security-flaws/

In the meantime, let me help you fanboy:

Intel has spectre too!!!1!! AMD does NOT have MELTDOWN!

Last edited:
Processor i7 4930k
Motherboard Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Memory 4 X 4096 MB G.Skill DDR3 1866 9-10-9-26
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GV-N780OC-3GD
Storage Crucial M4 128GB, M500 240GB, Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
Display(s) Planar PX2710MW 27" 1920x1080
Case Corsair 500R
Power Supply RAIDMAX RX-1200AE
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I didn't claim otherwise.

Note there is no patch for spectre, but given it's nature, when they find a way to handle it it will either be a.) very clever or b.) too expensive to performance to even consider. Frankly, I hope they come up with something extremely clever.

As if I needed another reason to hate Jar Jar... He allowed that. ;)
In earlier thread you replied to someone claimed AMD processors were also affected so the patch is required. Now it turns out you're wrong but the point stands, AMD doesn't need PITA patch.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
In earlier thread you replied to someone claimed AMD processors were also affected so the patch is required. Now it turns out you're wrong but the point stands, AMD doesn't need PITA patch.

Ah yes. Earlier I did claim they weren't affected at all other than a reboot issue. I was wrong there. And either way you are right it's unlikely we'll get a "average-joe" PITA patch but we still are left with security issues, is my point. That's a major "datacenter PITA"

Granted, they aren't any better off with Intel...

...Or arm...

MIPS64, anyone?

...no?

PowerPC?

Alpha? :(

Halp, I just want a CPU that works.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Not seeing any performance penalty by quick synthetic benchmark. Will let you know later this week when I run another batch of RNASeq analysis. That is some pretty memory I/O heavy workload.
test.JPG

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Not seeing any performance penalty by quick synthetic benchmark. Will let you know later this week when I run another batch of RNASeq analysis. That is some pretty memory I/O heavy workload.View attachment 95524

I look forward to your report, resident cat geneticist.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
So what all is broken now? Everything? Cause that is how I am reading this.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P

Time to dig up some old Pentium II or K6-2

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Time to dig up some old Pentium II or K6-2

That is kind of how this is reading. hmmm or I could just YOLO it. That seems more realistic for my life.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Not much beyond very specific workloads that have optimized instruction sets, but the fact the vulnerability is there and has to be patched disallows a few very specific workload instruction sets taht gave Intel a leg up in performance, ARM too for that matter.

Its goes something like this from what I understand.

Program A is assigned to XX memory space on core 0, it issues instruction Y to prefetch or look up data in another memory location that it doesn't have access to, but the lookup is allowed, as, the instruction increases performance. The patch will result in performance loss on programs written to take advantage of this prefetch, it may be a parent thread looking up the results of a child threads outcome for a deterministic factor.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Not much beyond very specific workloads that have optimized instruction sets, but the fact the vulnerability is there and has to be patched disallows a few very specific workload instruction sets taht gave Intel a leg up in performance, ARM too for that matter.

Its goes something like this from what I understand.

Program A is assigned to XX memory space on core 0, it issues instruction Y to prefetch or look up data in another memory location that it doesn't have access to, but the lookup is allowed, as, the instruction increases performance. The patch will result in performance loss on programs written to take advantage of this prefetch, it may be a parent thread looking up the results of a child threads outcome for a deterministic factor.

Ok so I saw that in the other thread, but now there are issues with all CPU's in it, which is what I apparently missed somewhere. I am just going to stick with everything is broken and have another beer.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
The Registers interpretation of Intel's PR issued on Wednesday.
Based on the analysis to date, many types of computing devices — with many different vendors’ processors and operating systems — are susceptible to these exploits.

Translation: We weren't the only one. And if we're going down, we're taking every last one of you with us.

Chipzilla doesn't want you to know that every Intel processor since 1995 that implements out-of-order execution is potentially affected by Meltdown – except Itanium, and the Atom before 2013.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/04/intels_spin_the_registers_annotations/

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Applications accessing other application's memory is a normal thing, at least on Windows. All applications do it to access kernel features like mouse and keyboard inputs. Any application that uses an overlay does it to apply the overlay. Debuggers do it to debug hooked applications. Of course Cheat Engine, keyloggers, and trainers do it too. An environment like Singularity where cross application access is almost strictly forbidden is not an environment most people want to use.

The above, of course, is on one machine. Virtual machines, on the other hand, should be totally gated from each other. If I understand correctly, AMD properly gates virtual machines where Intel doesn't. This makes virtual machines in an Intel enterprise environment no more secure than running all the software in one machine.

If you're not the NSA or running a service like Azure or AWS, I'm not entirely sure you'd care about virtual machines being completely gated because you're careful about what you run in the first place.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Applications accessing other application's memory is a normal thing, at least on Windows. All applications do it to access kernel features like mouse and keyboard inputs. Any application that uses an overlay does it to apply the overlay. Debuggers do it to debug hooked applications. Of course Cheat Engine, keyloggers, and trainers do it too. An environment like Singularity where cross application access is almost strictly forbidden is not an environment most people want to use.

The issue is when you use this to gain access to kernel mode memory, which almost no application process should have the ability to do outside of strictly defined calls with limitations.

If you're not the NSA or running a service like Azure or AWS, I'm not entirely sure you'd care about virtual machines being completely gated because you're careful about what you run in the first place.

Well, this could be used for priviledge escalation of malware, is the easiest example I can think of. Suddenly a user account can basically wreck the whole machine.

@nem..
So, AMD is only affected by Spectre1 and even that ONLY under Linux. Windows is not even affected.
Any info if AMD's software fix for Spectre1 also degrades performance in any significant way?

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
@nem..
So, AMD is only affected by Spectre1 and even that ONLY under Linux. Windows is not even affected.
Any info if AMD's software fix for Spectre1 also degrades performance in any significant way?

Time to go RyZen 2 my man, or Threadripper 2. Your choice, 5820K may need to rest. :D