• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Decision to buy a GPU (2070/2080)

System Name Silent, BUT DEADLY!
Processor Intel i5 13700k
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-H GAMING
Cooling Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce® RTX 4080 GAMING X TRIO 16GB
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 S27AG50 IPS QHD 165Hz
Case Fractal Define Meshify 2 + 1x Silent Wings 3 140MM PWM (back) + 2x Silent Wings 4 (Front)
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet Pure Power 12M 850W
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB Cherry MX Red
Just want to say that I've bought a RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio:) . I've caught a promotion on the card, it was 120€ cheaper so I didn't even think twice, was totally worth it.

Now, playing with this baby is being great, I got a clear huge fps boost compared to the 1070 I had, I feel the games way more smooth thanks to 144hz and Gsync of my monitor and the extra fps, she's very silent and beautiful.

In the end, if it has the best price/quality ratio? No, but I'm super happy with the card, and it's all that matters to me now :peace: thanks a lot everyone for the help, was very important, I was going for the 2070 but that discount made my mind.

Just want to say that I've bought a RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio:) . I've caught a promotion on the card, it was 120€ cheaper so I didn't even think twice, was totally worth it.

Now, playing with this baby is being great, I got a clear huge fps boost compared to the 1070 I had, I feel the games way more smooth thanks to 144hz and Gsync of my monitor and the extra fps, she's very silent and beautiful.

In the end, if it has the best price/quality ratio? No, but I'm super happy with the card, and it's all that matters to me now :peace: thanks a lot everyone for the help, was very important, I was going for the 2070 but that discount made my mind.
Well nice that! Enjoy your new high frame rate monster!

Reactions: ppn
Friendly advice (after many years of testing and some basic classes in computer graphics): turn those shadows down a notch. Shadows and stuff like god-rays are absolutely murderous at their highest settings and turning them down one level is virtually undetectable to the naked eye. Depending on the title, you can sometimes turn the shadows all the way down to medium settings before you start to notice differences in rendering.
Ymmv, of course, but I'd always give those a chance before replacing the hardware.
Not in this game, from High or Ultra to Extreme there is a difference, on High the shadows are like a splotch of shadow and on Extreme they are actual shadows :)
I agree, in other games like Destiny 2, the difference is minimal between Low and Ultra, it depends on the game. I still have time to ponder the RTX 2070 until next week.

bolijaker

hola yo ahora tengo la 2080 ti y he tendo o he probado la 2080 y tambien en su momento he tendo la 1080 ti etc. para esa resolucion es buena idea la 2070 , pero si quieres esta mas olgado yo te recomendaria la 2080

Given the numbers, I'd think you'd enjoy 144 Hz more if you turned off G_Sync and switched to ULMB. Of the 29 games in TPUs test suite, I'd prolly play 22 of them with G-Sync off and using ULMB ... 2 would definitely be played w/ G-Sync and the other are a tossup.

- G-Sync functions from 30 fps on up but the impact of syncronization starts to tail off after 60 Hz and by the time you pass and can maintain 70 fps, most gamers feel that Motion Blur Reduction (MBR) provides a better experience. G-Sync monitors include a hardware module which provides the strobing necessaryto provide MBR. So most of the time, I prefer to turn off G-Sync and enable ULMB.

- FreeSync functions from 40 fps on up but again the impact of syncronization starts to tail off after 60 Hz. Freesync has no coparable technology tho it is someetimes offered by the monitor manufacturer (at additional cost).

So my thought is ... since you paid the $150 premium for the MBR hardware in your monitor, take it out for a spin and see if ya like it any better. Unfortunately, with the panel used in the Dell 2716DG the uniformity is not up to the IPS panels from AUOptronics, but from the review, they were pleased with the Dell's results using ULMB.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm#ulmb