• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell E6540 GPU Power throttling issue

throttleplsstop

Hello,

after reading lots of threads here about dell laptop issues/overheating/throttling, I finally decided to give it a try and describe my my problem here. Recently I have replaced my e6530 with e6540, mostly for better gpu peformance (it is equipped with i7-4810mq + intel hd 4600 + radeon 8790m). At first glance, laptop was hot as hell and was throttling due to PROCHOT. Did some cleaning, applied fresh thermal paste (grizzly kryonaut) and managed to have stable temperatures (at high load gpu around 81 celsius and cpu around 75 celsius). Unfortunantely, whenever laptop is under high load for minimum 10-15 minutes, it starts to throttle with GPU POWER (details provided in screenshots). I have managed to log the benchmarking process with ThrottleStop (running idle Resident Evil HD). CPU clock can go down to around 0,4 GHz, which makes it unusuable. Things I have tried so far:

- replaced original AC adapter (dell 130w) with another one, nope
- disabled HT and Turbo boost (I dont need these to be honest, this also helped in lowering temperatures),
- testing HDMI output instead of DisplayPort (via dell docking station),
- CPU undervolting via ThrottleStop (just managed to lower temperature by few celsius),
- lowered cpu + gpu load by FPS cap via Radeon driver software, but still no luck (also just managed to lower temperatures further),
- adding "IGPU = 32" option to ThrottleStop config file, but still no luck,
- benchmarking laptop with the battery unplugged, nothing,
- enabled power saving mode for Intel HD GPU (just to lower the clocks),
- tried to enable powercut option, but looks like it is not working for me (PKG Power is not locked)

Few notes from me raised during observations:
- there is no problem with dedicated GPU, it is operational at 100% power during throttling,
- I made a fresh installation of Windows 10, so any potential malware/crappy soft should not be a problem here,
- I am using external display connected to laptop, but this also is not a case here (throttling still appears without any usb/hdmi devices plugged in),
- looks like temperature is not a case here

Log:
- 2021-05-07 17:08:15 - cpu starts to throttle (gpu power limit in red)
- 2021-05-07 17:10:57 - stopped benchmarking, cpu cools down...
- 2021-05-07 17:29:59 - cpu recovered, no more throttling

I would really appreaciate your help here, because I am running out of options to test at this moment. I don't really understand why iGPU starts to complain without obvious reason, since it is not really used during gaming.

Attachments

• CPU FIVR.PNG
    CPU FIVR.PNG
    108.5 KB · Views: 337
  • Intel 4600 HD Sensors GPU-Z.PNG
    Intel 4600 HD Sensors GPU-Z.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 342
  • Throttling starts.PNG
    Throttling starts.PNG
    536.1 KB · Views: 366
  • throttleStopLog - 2021-05-07.txt
    126.5 KB · Views: 86

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
which makes it unusable
This seems to be a common problem for many Dell laptops when trying to use the CPU and GPU.

In the FIVR window try setting the Non Turbo Ratio to 1. This alone might be enough to fix your CPU throttling problem. Do not check the Lock option near this setting. Run another log file after you do this.

If you are still having problems, on the main screen, check the Set Multiplier option and press the Turn On button. After you do this, it should not say the word Monitoring in the title bar. There is no need to do this if the first solution works for you.

Run another log file after you make this change.

In the ThrottleStop Options window try checking the Disable Chipset Throttle option if that option is available to you. Press OK and do another test.

The Dell E6500 series is a throttling mess as delivered from Dell. Hopefully one of these tricks allows you to use all of the hardware that Dell sold you. It is almost like Dell had two separate engineering teams working on the CPU side and the GPU side. They both work OK. Just don't try doing something crazy like running both the CPU and GPU at their rated speeds together at the same time.

throttleplsstop

Looks like setting Non Turbo Ratio to 1 and Set Mutliplier option fixed main issue. Tested while killing zombies for about 30 minutes. CPU doesn't throttle. I am still getting GPU POWER limit, but I don't care anymore. Thanks a lot!

Low quality post by Atomic77
System Name DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO / HP 17 ca1065cl
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz / Ryzen 5 3500u
Memory 16GB /12GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MX 330 / Radeon Vega 8
Storage 1TB +SSD
Display(s) 23.8 inch touch screen 17.3 touch screen
Case DELL AIO / HP LAPTOP
Mouse Dell Wireless /LOGITECH
Keyboard Dell Wireless / HP LAPTOP
Software WINDOWS 11
Wow so I see I'm not the only one with a Dell branded computer on here. :) I also have no idea why it would do what ever we are talking about here.

Hello,

after reading lots of threads here about dell laptop issues/overheating/throttling, I finally decided to give it a try and describe my my problem here. Recently I have replaced my e6530 with e6540, mostly for better gpu peformance (it is equipped with i7-4810mq + intel hd 4600 + radeon 8790m). At first glance, laptop was hot as hell and was throttling due to PROCHOT. Did some cleaning, applied fresh thermal paste (grizzly kryonaut) and managed to have stable temperatures (at high load gpu around 81 celsius and cpu around 75 celsius). Unfortunantely, whenever laptop is under high load for minimum 10-15 minutes, it starts to throttle with GPU POWER (details provided in screenshots). I have managed to log the benchmarking process with ThrottleStop (running idle Resident Evil HD). CPU clock can go down to around 0,4 GHz, which makes it unusuable. Things I have tried so far:

- replaced original AC adapter (dell 130w) with another one, nope
- disabled HT and Turbo boost (I dont need these to be honest, this also helped in lowering temperatures),
- testing HDMI output instead of DisplayPort (via dell docking station),
- CPU undervolting via ThrottleStop (just managed to lower temperature by few celsius),
- lowered cpu + gpu load by FPS cap via Radeon driver software, but still no luck (also just managed to lower temperatures further),
- adding "IGPU = 32" option to ThrottleStop config file, but still no luck,
- benchmarking laptop with the battery unplugged, nothing,
- enabled power saving mode for Intel HD GPU (just to lower the clocks),
- tried to enable powercut option, but looks like it is not working for me (PKG Power is not locked)

Few notes from me raised during observations:
- there is no problem with dedicated GPU, it is operational at 100% power during throttling,
- I made a fresh installation of Windows 10, so any potential malware/crappy soft should not be a problem here,
- I am using external display connected to laptop, but this also is not a case here (throttling still appears without any usb/hdmi devices plugged in),
- looks like temperature is not a case here

Log:
- 2021-05-07 17:08:15 - cpu starts to throttle (gpu power limit in red)
- 2021-05-07 17:10:57 - stopped benchmarking, cpu cools down...
- 2021-05-07 17:29:59 - cpu recovered, no more throttling

I would really appreaciate your help here, because I am running out of options to test at this moment. I don't really understand why iGPU starts to complain without obvious reason, since it is not really used during gaming.
u can try pop the back cover off when gaming if u want even lower temp(a 10 degrees drop from mine).