• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DELL G5 5587 (i7 8750H, 1060MaxQ,16GB RAM) problem , CPU throttling

oneheart

Hello everyone!
I might need your advice with my recent problem.

I was using my DELL laptop for mage for almost two years now. After tuning it with Throttlestop it really turned out as a great machine.

But I have a problem lately when my CPU speed drops mid-game to ~base speed.
I have undervolted CPU for -160mV , it's stable whole time. I have also capped my turbo ratio limits, so I can keep my temps down (all six cores max 3GHz)
Using Ultimate performance power mode and Ultimate Performance Dell mode.

Just few days ago I started to notice fps drops and stuttering and notice in MSI Afterburner, that mys CPU periodically drops to base speed or EVEN lower ( I saw 1400MHz as well)

Can you help me resolve this, please?
Here's my TS settings:
1595519214665.png

1595519230053.png

1595519255070.png

Win10 PRO , Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

here's TS log file:

Why is my CPU with TDP 45W eating 35W at the most, but usually far less ?
During load?

thanks you very much for you assistance, Martin

Ah, forgot to include crucial info about my temps. It shouldn't be the problems. Due to my settings I have peak maximum temps <82C on CPU and <75C GPU.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
If you look at the log file, when you have this throttling problem, power consumption is being capped at exactly 15W. In the Options window turn on the Add Limit Reasons to Log File option so this is easier to see. Someone at Dell thinks that it is OK for your 45W - 6 core CPU to be limited to a netbook power level of 15W. This is not the first Dell that I have seen with this "feature" / problem.

I am not sure what is triggering this. Perhaps a temperature or power sensor has started to fail and this is telling the CPU to limit itself to 15W. I do not know of any simple solution but here are a few things you can try.

Instead of the Dell Ultimate performance mode, try using the standard Windows High Performance mode. Open a command prompt and enter this command to make sure you get the default Windows high performance power plan.

powercfg /s SCHEME_MIN

Try using the ThrottleStop FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature.

If your computer has the DPTF driver installed, try disabling it. Search Google to see how you can disable or remove this driver and prevent it from being reinstalled by Windows.

If you have Core Isolation enabled, try disabling this and reboot.

Sadly, I do not think any of this is going to work. There is a third set of turbo power limits controlled by the EC and for whatever reason, if the EC wants to limit your CPU to 15W, there is nothing that any software can do about it.

Hello everyone!
I might need your advice with my recent problem.

I was using my DELL laptop for mage for almost two years now. After tuning it with Throttlestop it really turned out as a great machine.

But I have a problem lately when my CPU speed drops mid-game to ~base speed.
I have undervolted CPU for -160mV , it's stable whole time. I have also capped my turbo ratio limits, so I can keep my temps down (all six cores max 3GHz)
Using Ultimate performance power mode and Ultimate Performance Dell mode.

Just few days ago I started to notice fps drops and stuttering and notice in MSI Afterburner, that mys CPU periodically drops to base speed or EVEN lower ( I saw 1400MHz as well)

Can you help me resolve this, please?
Here's my TS settings:
View attachment 163206

View attachment 163207

View attachment 163208

Win10 PRO , Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

here's TS log file:

Why is my CPU with TDP 45W eating 35W at the most, but usually far less ?
During load?

thanks you very much for you assistance, Martin

Ah, forgot to include crucial info about my temps. It shouldn't be the problems. Due to my settings I have peak maximum temps <82C on CPU and <75C GPU.

I think I may know what's your problem, since your TS settings seem ok. I would suggest using the Windows Balanced power mode, with Better performance selected (not Best). Most importantly, Dell has a software called Dell Power Manager, which you can download directly from their site. Once downloaded and installed, go to Thermal Settings, and choose Ultra Performance mode, not Optimized or any other (depending the work you are doing too), because Ultra Performance lets the CPU work at its rated speed or the one you have selected, and that way, power consumption is free to move all the way up to the 45W TDP your CPU has. I know this, because I have the very same laptop you do, except with a 1050Ti.

I hope this solves your problem.