• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Motherboard Dell v6 G1CNH
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Video Card(s) Onboard currently
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Well the T5810 arrived. Some thoughts on the machine.. The case isn't as high quality as the T5500/T7500 series but the components on the motherboard look just as good.

Here is the geekbench 4 run as purchased with I think.. the slowest CPU that can be put in the machine.. It's still actually very snappy to use as is.

I remembered that I ordered a couple of E5 2620 V3 six cores on aliexpress a while ago when they were very cheap (15 dollars).. just in case I ever build a dual X99 machine and needed something to boot it up with. Those CPU's should arrive soon so I will run one of those in this machine for now. As I will only have a Rx 480 GPU for this machine I'll be GPU limited even with the cheap 6 core so for now I'll run that. When the faster 8 core or 12+++++ cores drop in price I can pick one of those up, but being sensible.. there is no point right now.

Expected performance vs the current 4 core is here

For now I will sink all my coins into ram sticks. It's currently running 2x4 gig sticks but with only 8 ram slots onboard if I stick to 4 gig I'm limited to total ram of 32gig.. That wont be enough for the 5 years I plan to keep this machine running. So I will start again with 8 gig sticks. At first I'll order 4 x 8 gig sticks so I can get the full 4 channel ram bandwidth and I'll order 2400 mhz ddr4 ram so that I am ready for the V4 Xeons once they drop in price.

The power consumption on this machine should be next level for me. At the moment the cpu idles around using windows at 10 watts... ! and only makes it to 38 watts under full load all 4 core turbo.. It can't pull more power than that despite being a 140 watt TDP. Very impressive. It's also a basically silent machine so no regrets on this purchase. Now it's just matter of waiting around for some parts to arrive before I can test it on some games.

Just for fun here's the T5810 with the basic 4 core versus my sons T5500 which is running the average E5649 core, there's a X5675 on the way for my sons machine but it plays games at 1080p above 60 frames no problem with the E5649 and a RX 570. Sons machine is running 24gig of ram in triple channel these days so marginally faster than in this benchmark.

Update: Ordered 2 x 8 gig sticks of 2400mhz ECC ram, I want to see if the machine will happily run these with the 2 exsiting 4 gig sticks in quad channel or not before I buy all 8 gig sticks.

Those are some interesting results, I need a way better video card before I can try and see my performance.

And now I am attempting to repair that pin, it seems loose but I think I fixed it, here is a current pic.

Attachments

• 20200821_101345.jpg
    20200821_101345.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 131
System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Looks good to me.

Looks like its finally working, OMG... I have rebooted several times and no errors on boot. all ram and cpus are recognized. Yahoo. thank you everyone.

One question i have now is which way to put the main cpu cooler and fan?

20200821_123427.jpg

Attachments

• Dell_T5500.png
    Dell_T5500.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

20200821_123427.jpg
On one of my T3500s that have that heatsink I've got it in that configuration with an 80mm fan attached using metal tape pulling[sucking] air through toward the back of the case. A 2000rpm fan will do the job well without much noise. See picture below;
T3500-HeatSinkFanCombo01.jpg

It should be noted: the drive tray the swings down from in front of the CPU location can be removed if not in use. I don't use that tray on any of my T3500's.

unoproph

Looking at the image of the fan above. What tape and fan would you specifically recommended and since I really haven't cracked open my mobo where does the fan plug into on the Mobo headers? Will I need some kind of splittter?

Sorry I'm not the most versed on this machine yet.

where does the fan plug into on the Mobo headers?
None. I use molex to 3pin fan adapters for all non-Dell brand fans. There are 4 total in that system and they are all plugged into the molex to 3pin fan header adapter.
Will I need some kind of splittter?
Yup. You can use a cable similar to one of the ones below:
For fans a generic fan would be good enough but you can get quality fans for cheap;

But there is currently a 3 pack with adapter on sale for $10;
Apevia is actually a decent fan brand so that is a good deal. There's also a 5pack on the same page.

Looks like its finally working, OMG... I have rebooted several times and no errors on boot. all ram and cpus are recognized. Yahoo. thank you everyone.

View attachment 166263

Yes the main body of the heatsink facing the front of the machine as you have it here is the correct way around, we can tell this because the T7500s optional big heatsink can only be installed that way (there's holes in the shroud for the heat pipes). Very cool that you have the machine working ! Susquehannock has done hero's work seeing that.

GPU next ?.

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Seems to me those modules should work. They show on the Intel 5520 comparability list. <

Have also confirmed in my T5500 boards (see link in signature below) the IBM #49Y1415 modules work regardless of re-brand. If used/refurbished modules are an option for you they typically sell for $11 - $15 on Ebay. Shipping and price may vary by location of course.

I would Buy more ram, but as far as I know I'm maxed out. I have 72gb 9x8gb right now.

But thank you so much finding the pin error. My system is working so far and has for hrs. Currently running prime95.

Yep even a RX 570 is 7 times faster than the FX3800. You wouldn't know yourself :)

I've pretty much moved on from that single cpu T7500 I got a few weeks ago (going to turn it into a hacknitosh now) but I made a video of it running a game just as I bought it. Got lucky that it had a reasonable Quadro K2200 in it. Even a K2200 is no where near as fast as a RX 570.. Very low power consumption though (60 watts) and can still play some games. Was a pretty good deal at 160 usd shipped for that entire system. I don't have more than 48 gig in any of my machines, the most I ever have used is about 30 gig and thats with a couple thousand browser tabs open.

It should be noted: the drive tray the swings down from in front of the CPU location can be removed if not in use..

But that tray forms part of the Air Duct for incoming from front case fan, thereby directing more airflow to CPU Heatsink, also keeps HDD cooler.

In my case I use three 3.5 inch HDDs, 2 on the tray and one mounted in area below Optical Drive. The 2 HDDs on tray are 4-5 Celcius cooler than HDD in the area below Optical Drive.

The top half of the fold out drive tray on T5500 can be removed btw, you need to do that to fit most full sized GPUs in it. You don't need to take the whole thing out to make enough space for a big GPU.

The top half of the fold out drive tray on T5500 can be removed btw, you need to do that to fit most full sized GPUs in it. You don't need to take the whole thing out to make enough space for a big GPU.

Yes Correct! for longer GPUs you need to do that. There are 2 types of Drive Trays. In certain systems top half of the fold out drive is removable (as in your case), in other systems you will have to remove the entire tray as top half of the fold out drive tray is not removable.

I have 2 T3500 systems. Both have different kind of Drive Trays.

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Yeah, you're good with RAM. I would focus on a GPU next. That FX3800 is older than the system it's in...

Thats will be the next buy, only problem is will be finding the best 1 slot style, a double fit video card wont work, I have too many cards. lol

Thats will be the next buy, only problem is will be finding the best 1 slot style, a double fit video card wont work, I have too many cards. lol
Maybe move something that doesn't need much bandwidth to a USB-Pcie? I have my raid card on one of the x16 slot and the GPU on the other x16.

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Now I just need to make sure my fans are good, I have 2x 80mm in the back, the two front ones, the 80mm on the main cpu and the 2nd cpu fan, that's it so far. Does anyone know if I can put in more fans?

Maybe move something that doesn't need much bandwidth to a USB-Pcie? I have my raid card on one of the x16 slot and the GPU on the other x16.

I have my raid card and video card on the x16 slots, but then I have two pcie quad nic cards, plus a pci-x quad nic card. lol. for labs.

Right now I am running prime95 and the highest is 70c.

I do want to thank everyone who has helped, I finally have it running good so far.

But that tray forms part of the Air Duct for incoming from front case fan, thereby directing more airflow to CPU Heatsink
It's A LOT less effective than you might think. It's really just a drive tray mounted sideways in the case and put on a hinge.
also keeps HDD cooler.
Again not really. And if you are mounting your drives in the 3.5" and/or 5.25" bays, the tray is useless.
only problem is will be finding the best 1 slot style, a double fit video card wont work, I have too many cards. lol
There's only one card I know of that is decent but it's impossible to find.
but then I have two pcie quad nic cards, plus a pci-x quad nic card. lol. for labs.
You'll have to make a choice then, solid GPU or one of the PCIe NICs. To me the choice is simple, but then again, I don't know what your use-case scenario is.

Last edited:
System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
It's A LOT less effective than you might think. It's really just a drive tray mounted sideways in the case and put on a hinge.

Again not really. And if you are mounting your drives in the 3.5" and/or 5.25" bays, the tray is useless.

There's only one card I know of that is decent but it's impossible to find.

You'll have to make a choice then, solid GPU or one of the PCIe NICs. To me the choice is simple, but then again, I don't know what your use-case scenario is.

Right now I'm not much of a gamer or need good video. I'm mostly using ot for ccna/mcsa labs, etc. Once I get a 2nd server then I can get a better video.

Apparently the Newest Dell Systems are not as ROBUST as the Good Old 5,7,10 years old Dell Systems used to be ........ one more reason why to buy old Used Vs New System.

No doubt the quality is going downhill but it's happening with HP also. Then again a build your own is going to end up just as nasty unless you spend several grand. All this is why going forward to more modern machines I'll buy Lenovo Workstations.. They are still legit

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I have myself a Dell Aurora R5 that I got from a friend for building his PC. It has a i5 6400 in it and 16gb of RAM. While it is a pain to work in due to how cluttered it is, it isn't all that bad either. I have replaced the stock PSU with a basic 650w cooler master PSU, replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and put in a GTX 970 currently. After cleaning it and putting on new thermal paste, it runs a lot quieter as it runs cooler. The motherboard proprietary connections do suck but oh well.

Don't take to heart what a lot of these youtubers say.

After many hours of self debate in my budget vs performance mind I have decided on upgrade plans for the T5810.

E5 1660 V3 3.0ghz 8 core (will be running the E5 2620 V3 6 core for the first couple months)
Either 4 x 8 gig sticks for 32 gig of DDR4 2400 (Running at 2133) or 2 x 8gb (2400@2133) and 2 x4gb (2133) for 24gb (if this works I will go with this option)
128gb M.2 boot drive
RX 480 GPU

I will slowly gather all these things over the next couple of months. Most are on the way.

Last edited:
Just a quick update on the T5810, first upgrade is in.. This cpu wont be in it long term but the E5 2620 V3's I ordered in case I felt like building a dual X99 machine one day arrived.. So I put one of them in the 5810.

Here's the benchmark comparason between the 4 core E5 1603 V3 which the machine shipped with vs the 20 dollar E5 2620 V3 6 core.

Not a bad little upgrade. The machine feels much better to use.. Next step is the ram sticks so I can run quad channel. ps.. This 6 core CPU uses only 46 watts at full load.