• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Design analysis discussion of Nvidia-supplied 12VHPWR connectors

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
The hot-button (ha!) issue of the moment is melting 12VHPWR adapters provided with RTX 4090 graphics cards. Many of us (hi!) downplayed the trouble to begin with, chalking the furor to new-launch hype and anti-NV sentiment. Turns out there is a real issue, and I'd like to discuss it specifically, and hopefully rationally. Igor's Lab has an excellent teardown of the connector, and goes top-level into what the problems with it are. Please read that first.

I'd like to dive a bit further into why the connector is designed the way it is, and fill gaps in my own understanding, of which there are many. I don't have any credentials in electronics engineering, and am in fact an EE dropout. What I do have is a reasonable grasp of DC circuit fundamentals (P=I*V, V=I^2*R, etc.) and a strong analytical bent. Anyway, based on Igor's article, I drew a crude block diagram in MS Paint of how Nvidia's PCIe-to-12VHPWR connector is configured, and it doesn't make a lot of sense at first blush:

1666909342387.png

The questions that pose themselves include:
1) Why 4-14ga rather than 6-16ga, including two 1-into-2 nodes?
2) Why a monolithic contact array instead of individual contacts?

To the 14ga question, there are some conflicting pro/con factors. 4-14 can carry as much or more current than 6-16. The draw back is that it is thicker, and thus necessarily less flexible. One of my hopotheses is that the extra bending resistance encountered when routing cabling is putting more strain on weak solder joints than 16ga would, increasing risk of broken joints. The existence of only four 12V leads helps answer a question I didn't list above, which is why soldered rather than crimped. Well, because you can't crimp one wire onto two connectors, also soldering is faster and cheaper to implement. The other is that given the adapter draws from four 8-pins, combining those four groups of three wires (twice, once for hot and once for ground) into six leads rather than four is unnecessarily complicated given that it's all going to one node anyway.

The contact array/block is honestly my biggest question. Something I originally typed up in this post but deleted was something about the GPU not knowing that a connection had been lost when one or more 12V leads breaks, since all current is running through the same node. I deleted it due to a lack of knowledge of how things work on the GPU side. Igor posted a block diagram of the connector that indicates that all 12V leads run to the same node by design. Why would this be? If a graphics card isn't treating each 12V connection as an individual circuit but all together as a single node, what's the point of a 12-pin connector? It would be just (or almost) as space-efficient to implement a two- or four-pin with nice robust contacts. Two pins is maybe optimistic because it would require 50A capacity, but 25A for a four-pin seems like it would be doable. If, by contrast, those separate circuits are meaningful, why run all the supply circuits through a single node?

This is meant to be a technical discussion. Do not flame, complain, troll, or hijack. Report button will be employed without hesitation or remorse.

ir_cow

Staff member
The questions that pose themselves include:
1) Why 4-14ga rather than 6-16ga, including two 1-into-2 nodes?
2) Why a monolithic contact array instead of individual contacts?
I figure its cost saving for both.

This is meant to be a technical discussion. Do not flame, complain, troll, or hijack. Report button will be employed without hesitation or remorse.
Yeah.. you aren't going to get a lot of replies because the fear of being report just for having a opinion.

About the 14gx4 vs 16gx6, my opinion is at it's purely a cost saving thing. Less required wire, soldering required.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
14 gauge is rated at 24 amps, 16 gauge at 15 amps, these are recommended max ampz, any higher and insulation melts.. Size matters, insulation thickenss is based on wire gauge, Also, the number of cores (strands) matter, more strands mean more flex in the wire without breaking a strand. That also means when you bend a higher strand count wire, it should not hold the shape it was bent into, so to keep a shape you'll need to heat and cool it.

Four 14 gauge wires would carry 96 amps max, well over the 900watts (originally reported). Six 16 gauge wires carry 90 amps max but run a higher risk of melting at over 900watts. As @ir_cow said this would come down to cost.

As for the contact block, I assume its for a distribution of incoming power. I'd even say there was maybe an optional deisgn for there to be 6 wire input.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
If a graphics card isn't treating each 12V connection as an individual circuit but all together as a single node, what's the point of a 12-pin connector?
You gain some redundancy. One or two pins may become bad over time, and I don't mean complete failure here, just an increased resistance. As a consequence, those pins carry less current and other pins take up more, and everything still works in the long term. The total resistance of all six parallel circuits remains low.

In connectors discussed here, two or three pins lost contact completely, for a wrong reason - moderate (but maybe repeated) mechanical strain. What followed was a chain reaction of ever increasing resistance and temperature. The pin(s) that apparently survived it intact were those which lost contact first.

14 gauge is rated at 24 amps, 16 gauge at 15 amps
Is that for single wires in free air? Bunches of wires? In a sleeve/tube? For mains power installations, ratings depend somewhat on things like that (but I'm not familiar with any details). Anyway, it's not the wires and their insulation that melted here. In the worst case they made a small contribution to high temps in the connector.

Last edited:

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Yeah.. you aren't going to get a lot of replies because the fear of being report just for having a opinion.
All people have to do is deliver their opinion without doing those things which frankly, should be across most threads. For this instance, in his thread, it's his rules and I welcome it, far too much sensationalist toxicity, complaining, hijacking and trolling going on for my taste all over these forums lately. Someone had to be told to stop those attitudes by Mods in the 4090 Owners club for goodness sake. Some serious axe grinding going on.

Now, on topic.

My 2c so far about the adapter, Nvidia themselves didn't really think too hard about it (hindsight is 20/20), it's likely made by a 3rd party not them internally (obviously could be very wrong on that, but it's my current feeling), and Nvidia gave them a spec to build it to, 4x8pin, to 1x12VHPWR capable of 600w. They ordered those in quantity, tested them when they received them, had no issues in testing and rolled them out to the customers, I'd wager they didn't dissect one or thoroughly evaluate the internals of it, just validated that it did the job they wanted, when used the exact way they wanted. After all they'd recently gone through a very similar exercise without significant issue.

Obviously with the ensuing fiasco comes lessons learned, which there will be multiple, I'm sure they're not at all happy that a $10 adapter is generating massive negative press for an otherwise blockbuster product.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Eisbaer XPX
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080 10GB w/ Vector TUF
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Having solder joints on a connector meant for 600W is unbeliavable. Why they didn't put the wires to the connectors like in classic PCIe connectors?

Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Video Card(s) 2080 Ti WINDFROCE OC
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
Having solder joints on a connector meant for 600W is unbeliavable. Why they didn't put the wires to the connectors like in classic PCIe connectors?
Because it would mean the wires on the PSU side would be cramped together to just one pin on the card but there is not enough space to do that.
And it would need 6 by 8 pins, too complicated. 3 of them take care of 3 by 12V

Last edited:
System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Keyboard Logitech G410

I'm willing to take that risk.

You gain some redundancy. One or two pins may become bad over time, and I don't mean complete failure here, just an increased resistance. As a consequence, those pins carry less current and other pins take up more, and everything still works in the long term. The total resistance of all six parallel circuits remains low.

In connectors discussed here, two or three pins lost contact completely, for a wrong reason - moderate (but maybe repeated) mechanical strain. What followed was a chain reaction of ever increasing resistance and temperature. The pin(s) that apparently survived it intact were those which lost contact first.

Is that for single wires in free air? Bunches of wires? In a sleeve/tube? For mains power installations, ratings depend somewhat on things like that (but I'm not familiar with any details). Anyway, it's not the wires and their insulation that melted here. In the worst case they made a small contribution to high temps in the connector.

Let's presume two pins go bad. Your six hot terminals that handled (up to) 16.7A 8.3A per have become four responsible for 25A 12.5A each. Are they rated for that? (EDIT: Yes, just; see below) Can't find that spec at the moment. I still wonder about the GPU side, though: on non-12VHPWR cards, are individual 12V circuits monitored for integrity or in some way treated individually, or are all 12V conductors joined to a single node basically right at input, much the way the Nvidia adapter does it?

Now, was it the pins that lost contact, or the solder connection failing? I'd interpreted it as the latter.

You're correct that it's not the wires that melted, but one of the questions I had was about 4x14 instead of 6x16. Charts differ on how many amps solid core wire can handle, but agree that 7-24 core wire is 10A and 7A for 14ga and 16ga respectively. That supports 480W and 420W. Neither of those numbers is 600W. I'm clearly missing something.

My 2c so far about the adapter, Nvidia themselves didn't really think too hard about it (hindsight is 20/20), it's likely made by a 3rd party not them internally (obviously could be very wrong on that, but it's my current feeling), and Nvidia gave them a spec to build it to, 4x8pin, to 1x12VHPWR capable of 600w. They ordered those in quantity, tested them when they received them, had no issues in testing and rolled them out to the customers, I'd wager they didn't dissect one or thoroughly evaluate the internals of it, just validated that it did the job they wanted, when used the exact way they wanted. After all they'd recently gone through a very similar exercise without significant issue.

You're probably correct on all of this. The chances these were made in-house is as close to zero as makes no nevermind.

Because it would mean the wires on the PSU side would be cramped together to just one pin on the card but there is not enough space to do that.
And it would need 6 by 8 pins, too complicated. 3 of them take care of 3 by 12V

PSU side doesn't seem like it would have anything to do with it. The adapter connects to four 8-pin leads, each with three 12V pairs. For each 8-pin, those three pairs are combined into a single 14ga 12V pair. These four pairs are then merged at the 12VHPWR connector. But there are two problems: the 12VHPWR is 12-pin, and you're trying to connect 8 conductors. You can merge them outside the connector and back into 12, or do what the mfr did and feed them in as-is. Second problem: The connector is based (I believe) on the Molex Micro-Fit+ system, which employs crimp connectors, and only supports up to 16ga wire. Even if you wanted to, you couldn't feed 14ga into the system as designed. The system also treats all conductors as individual circuits; the type of block connector that NV is using isn't in their catalog AFAICT, nor are solder terminals, so it looks to be something custom-designed.

EDIT: Micro-Fit+ maxes out at a rated 13A per connection. 6 * 13A = 78A, 78A * 12V = 936W, so the system hypothetically has headroom.

Last edited:
Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
Here is a possible solution, solder 2 leads on 3 pads and this should make it harder to break off the outlier pad.

1666929067840.png

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Is that for single wires in free air?
yes.

Anyway, it's not the wires and their insulation that melted here. In the worst case they made a small contribution to high temps in the connector.
I imagine if this was a single wire supply there wouldnt be such an issue with the connector.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The problem with Nvidia's adapter is that all 12V inputs from the seperate 8-pin adapters get merged into a single bus bar which is made of woefully inadeqate material amounting to nothing more than some thin foil as a base for the solder pad.

The solution is to just beef up this thin foil bus bar into a substantial piece of steel and then the cracking/weak/overheating connections go away.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Keyboard Logitech G410
The problem with Nvidia's adapter is that all 12V inputs from the seperate 8-pin adapters get merged into a single bus bar which is made of woefully inadeqate material amounting to nothing more than some thin foil as a base for the solder pad.

The solution is to just beef up this thin foil bus bar into a substantial piece of steel and then the cracking/weak/overheating connections go away.

Bus bar. That's the jargon term that's been eluding me this whole time.

Even if the bus bar is beefed up and all the connections solid, is that an acceptable solution? I so far haven't gotten/found an answer to circuit topology on the GPU side. Does a GPU always see the aggregate of the 12V leads as a single source, or if the contacts were true discrete connections (at the connector level, anyway; they obv. all merge back at the PSU), is there any sort of integrity monitoring per connection?

Maybe I'm the only person that's this interested in these questions...

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Bus bar. That's the jargon term that's been eluding me this whole time.

Even if the bus bar is beefed up and all the connections solid, is that an acceptable solution? I so far haven't gotten/found an answer to circuit topology on the GPU side. Does a GPU always see the aggregate of the 12V leads as a single source, or if the contacts were true discrete connections (at the connector level, anyway; they obv. all merge back at the PSU), is there any sort of integrity monitoring per connection?

Maybe I'm the only person that's this interested in these questions...
Yes, Igor's lab basically looked at the solder pad foil bar and said that the ends that the outside pins are connected to are snapping internally under the strain of bends.

By itself, that "bus bar" breaking changes nothing about the poor design of that foil-based common rail, but the problem is that the end pins on the HPWR connector take a whole 150W (12.5A) load from one of the 8-pin cables all by themselves. Rather than 100W per pin with the 6 pins taking 600W between them, it's now dealing with 150W for those snapped-off, isolated end pins. 12.5A is too much for a thin piece of foil that has already been damaged enough to snap away from the rest of the solder pad. That 13A rating is valid for the steel pins of the microfit+ connector. There's no way in hell the thin little piece of foil is going to handle 12.5A at sensible temperatures, and clearly it's getting hot enough to melt the plastic. I'm not particularly pleased that the foil pad is being asked to carry 10A on average even when the adapter is undamaged.

Distributing the four incoming 8-pins more evenly between the 6-pins of the HPWR connector is one fix, but a better fix is to solder to something more substantial than foil. Honestly, there's no place for foil in a connector with this much current going through it so that's the idiotic decision that needs to be rectified, IMO.

Last edited:
Processor E5-2690 v4
Motherboard VEINEDA X99
Storage NE-512 KingSpec
Display(s) G27Q
Case DAOTECH X9
Power Supply SF450
It never even occured to me to ever use the adapter included with any card, just buy a compatible power supply or modular cable.
And on the subject of single 12V, yes it has become known that the card oonly sees one 12V source, to the extent that the PCIe slot is not even connected as a source at all. Imagine the disaster if it did.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
Overall, I feel it is just a bad design that comes from the space of cost savings as opposed to reliability. As someone else noted, for a $10 adapter to cause this seems really bad "falling through the cracks" of a top end product.

If you look at the 30 Series plug, it is a one to one as far as pins to ground. 6 12V pins to 6 GND pins. There is not a bus bar for splitting off an input. They should have kept that same plug for this card. Don't fix what isn't broken. In this case you have a 12-pin connector being fed by 32 pins of input. If you look at a proper 12VHPWR cable, all 4 sense pins are used and not just 2. Looking at Igor's diagram, if done properly and not cut corners, the far left two pins of 12V and GND would talk to the Sense IC and communicate with the card and power supply. Again, the power supply needs to have the proper configuration for this communication to take place.

Having done this, you would have 24 pins going into the 12-pin connector and the other 8 pins going into the 4-pin sense connector on top.

Remember, you don't have the sense pins on the 30 series cards and adapters. I would say most power supplies on the market currently don't meet the PCIe 5.0 spec.

This reminds me of when PCIe first came about, there were those two Molex to one 6-pin adapters. I had issues with Molex pins being pushed out or sometimes just falling out of the connector. I would never trust a cheap adapter, let alone on a top end product. I would consul my power supply manufacturer for the appropriate cable and avoid the adapter at all costs.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

It should never have been a buss bar in the first place, that's ridiculous and stupid. ..... .

And definitely, absolutely, positively Dangerous Even with 1000x the material. ,..... .

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Has anyone... made their own cable??? :rockout::fear:

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
In short: This adaptor is ugly and a fire hazard as far i have seen now. I value my hardware, life and home. So i am not going to use this garbage for much longer.

Solution for me at least: i just ordered a replacement cable from Cablemods.

End of this sad story for my part.

Has anyone... made their own cable??? :rockout::fear:
nope not made my own. But just ordered one from cablemods. I dont trust this adaptor one bit.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Gene
Cooling Full Custom Water
Memory 48GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen5 SSD
Display(s) Asus PG27AQDM
Case Primochill Praxis WetBench
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro
Power Supply SeaSonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Ducky MIYA Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/pcm10b/1944567
Coming soon RGB Fan's on the cable for cooling,..

FgLBYmXXgAAQvDm.jpg

I'll wait for the water cooled version. :laugh:

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
It appears it's not just nVidia cables causing this: i've just spotted a post @ AnandTech forums where a 2ND PSU with non-nVidia cables had the problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ymq9x5
It always seems to be the outer left pins (looking at the GPU connector) which is always the ones under the most tension from the natural cable bend towards cable management channels at the front of almost any PC case.

Either these connectors simply CANNOT handle common stresses and bends of modern PCs because they're too small to hold the pins straight, or there's another problem on the GPU-side - perhaps the connection from the socket to the PCB has uneven-length traces so one set of pins in the socket has lower resistance and more current flows through that side?

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
When I raised the topic organically last month he downplayed the whole thing though. Even the experts are clueless!
Scietist revised his stance in light of new evidence, must be clueless! /s

It probably didn't help his opinion that WCCF was drama farming by outright fabricating parts of their stories on the matter.