1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Determining if I can use my product key for new build

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Andynor91, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Andynor91

Thanks Received:
    So I currently have a Windows 8 Pro key that I bought in 2012 at Microsoft's official store for €30 (promotion for eligible people who had xp, vista, or win 7 - I had win 7), which further down the line gave me the free upgrade option to windows 10.

It's only been used on the computer I am using now (so only 1), and when I do "slmgr -dli" in cmd, the prompt shows: "Windows(R) Professional Edition, Description: Windows(R) Professional Edition, RETAIL channel, Partial Product Key: XXXXX, License Status: Licensed".

Question is: can I deactivate the key on this computer, and reactivate it on my to-be new build? Also, do I need my new windows 10 product key (if there is one - can't seem to find it on my computer), or do I just use the Win 8 Pro key that I have when I reactivate windows 10 for the new build?

Found an insane amount of conflicting information regarding this questions when I googled it, so I got no clue what website or article to believe.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

2. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    If it don't work, call MS and have them do it. Honestly I'd install the proper OS for that key and do the Win10 upgrade.

Inb4 people tell me that doesn't work when I can install my keyed Win7 and Win10 stays activated when installed. Never failed.

psyko12 and Andynor91 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Andynor91

Thanks Received:
    By "proper OS" do you mean I should install Windows 7 and then upgrade to windows 10 from that? Or can I just download win 10 from Microsoft's website, put it on a usb-stick, and install it directly?

4. MrGenius

MrGenius

Thanks Received:
  5. Norton

Norton Moderator & WCG-TPU Captain Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just did a motherboard upgrade this morning on my Win10 install and used this guide:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

It ended up getting stuck but I was able to open up a chat session with MS support and they took care of it for me in about 15 minutes. Have your product key and a picture of your motherboard receipt or of the box serial #/label ready before you initiate the chat session

psyko12 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    I mean use your 8.1 key and plop 10 on. I'm sure someone else has a better idea.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    It will work if you have tied it to your ms account.

I've been in this situation due to platform swap -- worked without issue, installed windows 10 and if it asked for a key say activate later, and then log in with your ms account, do activation > use troubleshooter and state you changed hardware.

Also due to AM4 mobo bios not mature enough when my giga board released a bios with a lot of revisions/improvement my win 10 deactivated, I did the troubleshooter again and used the "changed hardware option" it took a while but with the same MS account I've used it activated itself.

Norton says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    The chat session and their support is very fast! Kudos to MS on this one! I had to engage them on another computer about it! Without any other information other than mobo receipt and old legit win 7 key. It was sorted out very quick!

Norton says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure about that key working on W10 (try it) but "deactivating" a previous install isn't something that you ever have to do for Windows. If the key works on W10, but internet actvation fails, then calling MS will get it activated. Microsoft then relies on the user to wipe the previous install, which remains activated.

Andynor91 and psyko12 say thanks.
  10. Andynor91

Thanks Received:
    So reading through this it seems to me that it will only work if I specifically only change the motherboard of the build I'm using now? In my case, I'm building a whole new computer. Will it still work?

11. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    It should work if it's legit and follow what @MrGenius linked you.

It's considered as a major hardware change.
    My situation came from AM3+ combo to a new ryzen build and it worked.

Andynor91 and Norton say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    If it has been long enough since you upgraded from 8.1 to 10, like over a year, you can just install Windows 10 fresh and when it asked you for a key, just put in your Windows 8.1 key. The Windows 10 installer will continue without an issue, and I can pretty much guarantee you Windows will activate once it is installed.

psyko12 and Norton say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD