• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you think cryptocurrencies are the future?

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
First off, ad hominems? Really? Where? Can you please quote me on something where I attack your character or motives rather than discuss the matter at hand? Yes, I "accuse" you of derailing the discussion and using rhetorical devices to distract from the matter at hand - but I also clearly show what I mean by this, and quote you directly. I also ask you to please not project your insecurity onto me. I suppose you could read that as a personal attack given that I don't know you at all and don't have anything beyond your posts on which to have an impression of whether you are insecure about something, but again, that was a statement directed specifically at you accusing me of somehow "forcing my opinion on you". Given that there is no way whatsoever for me to force my opinion on you through the internet, I'd say reading that as projection of insecurity is really not that big a leap. If you have another explanation, I'd love to hear it, and I'll gladly apologize if you can somehow argue that I was actually in the wrong. Still, neither are personal attacks, but rather calling you out on behaviour and rhetoric that I find objectionable on a forum. Your behaviour and rhetoric is not your character or person - it's a choice. I explain how your way of arguing makes you come off to someone on the other side of the discussion. Was I a bit harsh? Perhaps, but considering that (as shown above) you were going to quite some length to shut down me asking questions, I feel that was warranted. As I said: if you're tired of the topic, you don't need to participate. That doesn't give you the right to tell me to stop asking questions. If you wanted to actually make me stop asking questions, you could link me to something that you feel answers them. After all, you've been a part of the discussion far longer than me (and from your "Cryptocurrency Expert" badge, I take it you're well-versed on this topic), and should thus have a much better overview of it than I could possibly get even if I spent days reading both old and new topics here. I'm not saying you have to, but that would be the pragmatic and productive way of handling this. Your approach is instead hostile and domineering.

Also, you keep underscoring how you're unwilling to discuss a topic with someone who has a diametrically opposite view of yours. That is, again, your right, but also too bad. I'd like to hear what you have to say. An exchange of differing opinions is how we can learn and develop our views, after all. If you view a discussion of a topic only as worthwhile if it is an opportunity to "convince each other", then that's a rather fatalist view. I hope you'll consider revising that. As for my more general political views, it's good to see that you also see how approaches to specific subjects reflect larger views, but again, seeing significant disagreement as a reason to stop talking is ... depressing to me. I personally find libertarianism both naive and paradoxical in a significant number of ways, but that doesn't mean I'm unwilling to talk politely and on-topic to libertarians, nor that I refrain from on-topic discussion of their arguments.

Also, when did I walk into a conversation and ridicule someone? My initial post here was a general statement (mostly in tune with the tone and direction of the discussion at the time) aimed at nobody in particular (outside of the thoroughly corrupt and enormously harmful financial industry, which being an industry is not any one member (or group of members) on this forum). The point when you seemed to take serious issue with my reasoning was a while later when I took the time to present an argument at greater length and with my reasoning expanded upon, around post #191. You said the reason for this was that I quoted you directly, which ... is kind of what you do on a forum? Also, that quote was an entirely on-topic response to an argument you presented that I disagree with. My argument presented an example of why. You refused to respond, instead focusing on that you couldn't be bothered. You also said those arguments had already been discussed, yet I still can't find anything resembling a fleshed-out discussion of that topic in this thread, nor references to it existing anywhere else (besides repeated claims that it's been done before). I don't have any doubt whatsoever that the topic has been covered before - and it'll probably arise all over again every few days or week on this forum (not to mention everywhere else!) for the foreseeable future. Still, though, that doesn't in any way mean that the topic is "done". You have every right to be tired of it, or "done with it" personally, but you don't have the right to ask me to stop asking questions.

Look... you started off your conversation in this thread quoting me directly, and taking a HUGE liberty with what I said. Moreover, you had a condescending and dismissive tone about it. ("Oh the old argument. .... ")

You're perfectly free to discuss what you wish, in this thread or wherever you like. I've never said you couldn't or shouldn't. But once again, YOU quoted ME. YOU are talking directly to ME. You are demanding answers of ME. So I'll tell you again, I'm personally tired of reiterating the same thing over and over. If you want someone else to do that, go right ahead. I've no problem with you discussing what you will. But now, you've called my intelligence into question simply because I refuse to answer your questions. So don't call ME hostile and domineering. You are demanding something of me, and calling me stupid for not answering you. Scroll all the way back to the first part of our conversation:

I agree completely. You're free to discuss as you please. I don't see the discussion as finished at all. But you quoted me directly, right after I had said that we were going to go back to the beginning of the conversation. I simply said that I was correct in the assumption.

Never once did I attempt to stop you from discussing any subject or nuance you wished. In fact, I made that very clear from the beginning.

So yea, continue rocking on your little plastic horse about how high it is.

First off, ad hominems? Really? Where? .... Also, when did I walk into a conversation and ridicule someone?

are you having issues with people questioning the foundations of your convictions?
Ah, yes. The classic "regulation and laws are pointless as people are far too corrupt to ever uphold them" argument
insecurity
meaningless rhetorical trick
closed-minded and domineering

The second quote there about regulation and laws, shows me you aren't interested in hearing my opinion at all, but only in misinterpreting it and ridiculing it. By first off quoting something I never said and attributing it to me, then characterizing it as a tired and clearly-debunked theory, you have characterized me as unlearned through your rhetoric. This is the basis of an ad hominem, though sly and eloquent was its delivery.

Once again, we can talk about it all we want... but you don't want to talk. You never did, not from the beginning. You either misunderstand, or mischaracterize what I say. You're still doing it, even as we argue this nonsense. You're more interested in making me look bad.

You want what's already been discussed from my point of view? Here's the cliff-notes version:

A currency controlled by its users is not susceptible to manipulation by an oligarchy, as it can be cast off by those who support it, and alternatives adopted.
Crypto can evolve to better suit users and the market, whereas a government controlled currency cannot. It can only serve the whim of those who control it.
Those who wish to regulate and control crypto have no inherent right to do so. Any attempt to do so is aggression and use of force.
To directly answer the question in the OP: Crypto CAN be the future. It must be adopted as a currency and not only as a speculative gambling tool. This is a conundrum, as in order for that to happen, it needs stability, and in order to have stability, it must be adopted.
Crypto, as it is today, is NOT the future.
Crypto, evolved to better suit the market and its use, is, as long as statists do not consolidate force in order to stop it (unless individualists consolidate force to keep it alive, which is highly unlikely. )

You'll of course have all sorts of reasons why that's all wrong. And once again... we will be back to page 2... as I said all along.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Frankly, I still like the idea of cryptocurrency, and believe a peer to peer currency like that controlled by the masses to be a good thing. It's present implementation just has some (fairly major) issues.
Ah, he comes out and says it!

Those "issues" will never be fixed. There's no way to build enough intelligence into the blockchain to automatically correct for all the factors a currency needs to correct for. Blockchain can only serve as a means to an end (like any technology), not a means and an end.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum

Those "issues" will never be fixed. There's no way to build enough intelligence into the blockchain to automatically correct for all the factors a currency needs to correct for. Blockchain can only serve as a means to an end (like any technology), not a means and an end.

For the record, RTB has maintained for quite a while the current implementations of crypto flawed....nearly every crypto thread.

Like everyone else, said if you were here earlier, discussion would have been much better. However, while energy consumption is real, I still dismiss it as a cause for hating crypto because I would imagine that gaming is nearly on par with wasteful energy use.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
For the record, RTB has maintained for quite a while the current implementations of crypto flawed....nearly every crypto thread.
Well, yeah, but he's also believes in this fantasy that cryptocurrency will replace fiat currency. It won't. Fiat will continue to get more digitized but exchanges will mostly occur via trusted servers, not peer to peer.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I don't think many people believe it is going to replace it, that is asinine. Best case is to supplement.

Edit: On a side note, I would not be surprised if crypto went digital someday - in its officially supported forms, of course. If we don't blow our selves up first.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

I've always said it.

Those "issues" will never be fixed.

I really don't agree that the outlook is that pessimistic. You should know better than to be that certain, for that matter.

Well, yeah, but he's also believes in this fantasy that cryptocurrency will replace fiat currency.

No, not really. I believe it has the POTENTIAL to some day do so. Being certain is another matter entirely.

It's more a pipe dream utopian vision at this point than a attainable thing, but I hold out hope.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
@Valantar did make one good point against cryptocurrency, which even I as a crypto supporter will admit to. The fact that it is controlled by the people, that is, your general average person, is both a good and a bad thing. The private sector isn't all rainbows and sunshine... and I believe crypto is likely manipulated by a few power players. It has been and will continue to be as long as it exists in the current model. Sure, the little guy like you or me can still find it useful, but the true ideology of cryptocurrency can never see the light of day as long as it exists in its current state, and it may never, so long as any one person, or group of people, can own a large enough amount of it on their own to shift the market their way.

I've admitted many times I jumped in it when I was aware I could use it as a way to make some extra money. My thought process at the time was little else beyond "mine cryptocurrency and get paid". Sure, I'd love to see crypto become what it was meant to be from the start, but I don't see it happening. Not as long as it can be controlled by any official institution such as a government, or by people in general. Of course, the idea was for it to be controlled by the people instead of the government, but I believe for it to be anything close to what it was meant to be, it still has to be controlled by one person, or a small group. Of course, the problem with that is, a lot of powerful people probably won't like that, and no matter how trustworthy those people may be, they can still be influenced in one way or another, or the system itself could be attacked...

Call me a pessimist, but I think the idea of this currency that's controlled by the people instead of the government is doomed to fail, no matter which way you spin it. And that's not the fault of any technology or ideology. You can trace that one straight back to plain old human greed. It's a very difficult thing to beat...

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Look... you started off your conversation in this thread quoting me directly, and taking a HUGE liberty with what I said. Moreover, you had a condescending and dismissive tone about it. ("Oh the old argument. .... ")

You're perfectly free to discuss what you wish, in this thread or wherever you like. I've never said you couldn't or shouldn't. But once again, YOU quoted ME. YOU are talking directly to ME. You are demanding answers of ME. So I'll tell you again, I'm personally tired of reiterating the same thing over and over. If you want someone else to do that, go right ahead. I've no problem with you discussing what you will. But now, you've called my intelligence into question simply because I refuse to answer your questions. So don't call ME hostile and domineering. You are demanding something of me, and calling me stupid for not answering you. Scroll all the way back to the first part of our conversation:

Never once did I attempt to stop you from discussing any subject or nuance you wished. In fact, I made that very clear from the beginning.

The second quote there about regulation and laws, shows me you aren't interested in hearing my opinion at all, but only in misinterpreting it and ridiculing it. By first off quoting something I never said and attributing it to me, then characterizing it as a tired and clearly-debunked theory, you have characterized me as unlearned through your rhetoric. This is the basis of an ad hominem, though sly and eloquent was its delivery.

Once again, we can talk about it all we want... but you don't want to talk. You never did, not from the beginning. You either misunderstand, or mischaracterize what I say. You're still doing it, even as we argue this nonsense. You're more interested in making me look bad.
First off: I'll gladly apologize for this post. I obviously went a few steps to far there. Not that it's an excuse, but I was rather pissed off about your response to a clear and concise argument being utterly dismissive and condescending. I guess we can both do that. I still shouldn't have let that knee-jerk reaction be posted, though. You say you were tired of arguing the same points over and over again at that point. That's fine. My issue is that you didn't actually react until I tried to take the discussion to an actually productive level, presenting actual arguments. I understand that seeing a post like that for you might trigger the "here we go again..." response. Still, your response was neither productive or polite, nor did it serve to bring the discussion forward in any way. Sadly, I can't find anything related to the arguments I presented there on page 2 of this thread - or any page, really.

The problem is, you said you never tried to stop me discussing anything. What, then, was the point of this post?

Also, you're right that I quoted you first. I quoted this post and responded with a simple, entirely on-topic counterargument. You responded to that with, essentially, "here we go again." Is it any wonder that I take issue with that?

I'll also gladly admit that
Ah, yes. The classic "regulation and laws are pointless as people are far too corrupt to ever uphold them" argument.
is rather flippant, and I could have used a much better tone there. But for the remainder of that post, I explain exactly why I disagree with you and that line of argumentation. Once again, you never address that afterwards. Of course, this does boil down to our seemingly diametrically opposed political views, which could easily lead the entire discussion off-topic. It's still entirely possible to keep it on-topic while responding to my arguments, though, yet you haven't until now.

Seriously? Wow. Okay then.

But back to the core of your argument here:
But now, you've called my intelligence into question simply because I refuse to answer your questions. So don't call ME hostile and domineering. You are demanding something of me, and calling me stupid for not answering you.
Have I called your intelligence into question? No. I've said that your tone and wholesale dismissal of even the possibility of discussing this subject is a bad approach to this (and any) discussion. I probably did use the word "stupid" about it, but if so, that's not a characterization of you but your way of arguing. Those are not the same thing. Saying "your tone and way of arguing is stupid" is not the same as saying "you are stupid." I have also questioned your motivations to some degree, but we've pretty much cleared that up by now: you were tired of doing what to you is rehashing the same old arguments. As for me "accusing you" of projecting your insecurity onto me when describing arguing against you as
you want to force your opinions on others.
I'd still call that a reasonable reading of that response to my post. Outside of personal insecurity, I really can see no reasonable way that me arguing against you can be read as "forcing my opinion on you" (unless I were to ... say, stalk you in real life while yelling arguments at you, it would be exceptionally hard for me to force an opinion on you). If you still disagree, I'll gladly hear why, and of course I'll accept any other reasonable explanation for using that formulation.

You want what's already been discussed from my point of view? Here's the cliff-notes version:
Well, at least I'm happy we're more or less back to actually discussing the matter at hand.

A currency controlled by its users is not susceptible to manipulation by an oligarchy, as it can be cast off by those who support it, and alternatives adopted.
How, exactly, is it not susceptible to manipulation? Can the oligarchy not simply become users, or pay multitudes of people to become users? And unless there are very specific checks to power involved (including monitoring systems and some sort of "police" to enforce sanctions on abusers), do they not generally have the resources/means to become very significant users, at least if ownership of a good (cryptocurrency in this case) is the key/sole determinant of who has power? Unless the system is arranged so that you only have one vote no matter how much currency you hold (which is a fundamental principle of democracy, even if it's been significantly undermined in the US), it's fundamentally antidemocratic and a red carpet invitation to the oligarchy. Some would argue that that would be an illiberal system (as it forces a form of equality onto users), but is not the alternative significantly more illiberal, telling users their vote counts less than others' simply due to their lack of wealth/resources (which is again largely determined by where and when you were born and to whom)? This, as I see it, is one of the key paradoxes of libertarianism: that most libertarians refuse to see that without checks on accumulation of power, power will be accumulated by those with the means to do so - and this will inevitaby lead to less freedom for those with less means.
Crypto can evolve to better suit users and the market, whereas a government controlled currency cannot. It can only serve the whim of those who control it.
You're not factually wrong, but miss a key point: "Those who control it" are, in a functioning democracy, the people. Of course, various forms of democracy have various in-between stages (representatives and hired government officials of various kinds) but ultimately, in a well-functioning system what these intermediates decide is an attempt at an optimal interpretation of the will of the voters (who rarely agree, so compromise is necessary), informed and regulated by experts in the field. A key thing here is that - at least in a reasonably non-corrupt society - greed (or, to be nice, "profit motivation") does not play a part in government reasoning. The government does not exist to make a profit, but to ensure a stable and functioning society. To the contrary, any "free market" (as in an unregulated one) is dominated by profit-seeking forces, which makes greed and personal/corporate profit the chief determinant of the direction of these markets. That only benefits those in power - and unlike democratically elected officials, the people have no means whatsoever to remove these people from power if they're hurting them. You can't vote a greedy CEO out of office, after all, even if he makes a living by harming other people.
Those who wish to regulate and control crypto have no inherent right to do so. Any attempt to do so is aggression and use of force.
That is a very interesting argument, which, again, boils down to your fundamental view of how to best organize a society for the optimal well-being of its people. I would counter that in any society, a governing body elected by the people seeking to ensure the well-being of the populace has the right to regulate and control more or less anything that has the potential to destabilize any significant part of that society. I'd even say that this is one of the key prerogatives of government: regulating and curbing forces that individuals can never hope to control themselves. Economics is a significant part of any society. As for calling it "aggression" and "use of force" simply shows that you view the government purely as an adversary, and doesn't really add to this argument, outside of underlining your denial of the possibility of a non-adversarial government. Which is another matter entirely.
To directly answer the question in the OP: Crypto CAN be the future. It must be adopted as a currency and not only as a speculative gambling tool. This is a conundrum, as in order for that to happen, it needs stability, and in order to have stability, it must be adopted.
I agree completely with the second sentence if cryptocurrencies (and not blockchain tech) is ever to have any real utility. The issue is that achieving that alongside the existence of largely-deregulated global investment banks is ... well, impossible. Investors speculate (i.e. gamble) in anything and everything. Commodities trading literally amounts to buying and selling (virtually, without it ever moving or changing hands) whatever stuff you can get your hands on at a mind-boggling pace to eke out profits by serving as an intermediary in the otherwise necessary movement of these commodities. If something is for sale, it is likely already being speculated on. The only thing that can curb this is regulation of the financial sector, as telling them "can you please not speculate in Bitcoin" isn't going to help much. Of course, for cryptocurrencies, that aren't actually goods that need to move around and change hands for reasons relating to their own existence (say, factories needing supplies to produce things, or people needing food to live) can simply say "our currency is not available to buy and sell". Of course, that would be regulation, and would require some sort of system to uphold it. And it would cause serious trouble for the actual use of this currency (if you can't buy it, how do you obtain it? If you can't sell it, how do you buy anything with it?). There's also the issue of mining and proof-of-work: is that a necessary component of cryptocurrencies, and if it is, how can we maintain crypto while avoiding doing lasting harm to our planet? What good is a deregulated currency if we're enduring a global extinction event that threatens the ecosystems that we rely on to live?
Crypto, as it is today, is NOT the future.
Agreed.
Crypto, evolved to better suit the market and its use, is, as long as statists do not consolidate force in order to stop it (unless individualists consolidate force to keep it alive, which is highly unlikely. )
I doubt "statists" will do any such thing (as that would imply some sort of trans-ideological grassroots movement among people who believe in government oversight (which is common to the vast majority of ideologies, just in various ways), which is highly unlikely), but (over?)protective national governments (through their officials) might. Given the volatility of global markets (ironically largely caused by lack of oversight and adversarial/protectionist stances by said governments), letting a supranational economic structure gain significant power in a society is something most people are wary of. As they ought to be, really. It can be quite easily argued that wide-spread adoption of crypto in commerce and day-to-day economics would be fundamentally antidemocratic, as it would a) remove voting rights for non-property holders (at least in this field), b) mean that people all over the globe have power over places they don't live, work or have any other relation to, and c) open the door to corporate, for-profit control of the economic building blocks of said society.

For the record: I'm actually quite a proponent of a global, supranational currency - it comes with my belief that we need a global, supranational government (democratically elected, of course, the specifics of which I do not even have the slightest clue of how would work) to avoid conflict and exploitation and ensure an effective and fair society in as many places as possible. I just don't believe that cryptocurrencies have the potential to be this, as they don't seem to be built with the necessary structures to avoid consolidation of power from wealth, and thus for-profit abuse.

You'll of course have all sorts of reasons why that's all wrong. And once again... we will be back to page 2... as I said all along.
Well, yes, as you have probably seen already, I do indeed. However, isn't that what we call a discussion? And no, we aren't back to page 2 - the only real similarity I can find between that post where you first said that, now, and page 2 (and thereabouts) is that they're generally related to the topic of this thread. As such, I suppose you're kind of right, but isn't that also where this discussion ought to be?

I don't think many people believe it is going to replace it, that is asinine. Best case is to supplement.
This is indeed a common misconception, though one that affects pretty much any tech that rises to significance in society: that people think it will supplant (and thus remove) whatever came before it. Outside of ... Betamax and HD-DVD?, I can't really think of a single case where this has actually happened. Digital documents haven't replaced books or paper documents, but supplemented and nuanced their use. While cell phones have almost entirely replaced landlines (at least here in Norway), they're still phones. One could argue that texting and IM of various kinds has taken over, but those haven't in any way removed voice calls. And so on, and so on. Generally, all inventions supplement each other, and outright replacement is very rare indeed.

Last edited:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
wow "14 Quotes" and The great wall of China of Text
Guys get a Room and use Crypto to pay for it or Take it to PM's
IS someone going for post QuoteMaster badge

System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
First off: I'll gladly apologize for this post. I obviously went a few steps to far there. Not that it's an excuse, but I was rather pissed off about your response to a clear and concise argument being utterly dismissive and condescending. I guess we can both do that. I still shouldn't have let that knee-jerk reaction be posted, though. You say you were tired of arguing the same points over and over again at that point. That's fine. My issue is that you didn't actually react until I tried to take the discussion to an actually productive level, presenting actual arguments. I understand that seeing a post like that for you might trigger the "here we go again..." response. Still, your response was neither productive or polite, nor did it serve to bring the discussion forward in any way. Sadly, I can't find anything related to the arguments I presented there on page 2 of this thread - or any page, really.

The problem is, you said you never tried to stop me discussing anything. What, then, was the point of this post?

Also, you're right that I quoted you first. I quoted this post and responded with a simple, entirely on-topic counterargument. You responded to that with, essentially, "here we go again." Is it any wonder that I take issue with that?

I'll also gladly admit that

is rather flippant, and I could have used a much better tone there. But for the remainder of that post, I explain exactly why I disagree with you and that line of argumentation. Once again, you never address that afterwards. Of course, this does boil down to our seemingly diametrically opposed political views, which could easily lead the entire discussion off-topic. It's still entirely possible to keep it on-topic while responding to my arguments, though, yet you haven't until now.

Seriously? Wow. Okay then.

But back to the core of your argument here:

Have I called your intelligence into question? No. I've said that your tone and wholesale dismissal of even the possibility of discussing this subject is a bad approach to this (and any) discussion. I probably did use the word "stupid" about it, but if so, that's not a characterization of you but your way of arguing. Those are not the same thing. Saying "your tone and way of arguing is stupid" is not the same as saying "you are stupid." I have also questioned your motivations to some degree, but we've pretty much cleared that up by now: you were tired of doing what to you is rehashing the same old arguments. As for me "accusing you" of projecting your insecurity onto me when describing arguing against you as

I'd still call that a reasonable reading of that response to my post. Outside of personal insecurity, I really can see no reasonable way that me arguing against you can be read as "forcing my opinion on you" (unless I were to ... say, stalk you in real life while yelling arguments at you, it would be exceptionally hard for me to force an opinion on you). If you still disagree, I'll gladly hear why, and of course I'll accept any other reasonable explanation for using that formulation.

Well, at least I'm happy we're more or less back to actually discussing the matter at hand.

How, exactly, is it not susceptible to manipulation? Can the oligarchy not simply become users, or pay multitudes of people to become users? And unless there are very specific checks to power involved (including monitoring systems and some sort of "police" to enforce sanctions on abusers), do they not generally have the resources/means to become very significant users, at least if ownership of a good (cryptocurrency in this case) is the key/sole determinant of who has power? Unless the system is arranged so that you only have one vote no matter how much currency you hold (which is a fundamental principle of democracy, even if it's been significantly undermined in the US), it's fundamentally antidemocratic and a red carpet invitation to the oligarchy. Some would argue that that would be an illiberal system (as it forces a form of equality onto users), but is not the alternative significantly more illiberal, telling users their vote counts less than others' simply due to their lack of wealth/resources (which is again largely determined by where and when you were born and to whom)? This, as I see it, is one of the key paradoxes of libertarianism: that most libertarians refuse to see that without checks on accumulation of power, power will be accumulated by those with the means to do so - and this will inevitaby lead to less freedom for those with less means.
You're not factually wrong, but miss a key point: "Those who control it" are, in a functioning democracy, the people. Of course, various forms of democracy have various in-between stages (representatives and hired government officials of various kinds) but ultimately, in a well-functioning system what these intermediates decide is an attempt at an optimal interpretation of the will of the voters (who rarely agree, so compromise is necessary), informed and regulated by experts in the field. A key thing here is that - at least in a reasonably non-corrupt society - greed (or, to be nice, "profit motivation") does not play a part in government reasoning. The government does not exist to make a profit, but to ensure a stable and functioning society. To the contrary, any "free market" (as in an unregulated one) is dominated by profit-seeking forces, which makes greed and personal/corporate profit the chief determinant of the direction of these markets. That only benefits those in power - and unlike democratically elected officials, the people have no means whatsoever to remove these people from power if they're hurting them. You can't vote a greedy CEO out of office, after all, even if he makes a living by harming other people.

That is a very interesting argument, which, again, boils down to your fundamental view of how to best organize a society for the optimal well-being of its people. I would counter that in any society, a governing body elected by the people seeking to ensure the well-being of the populace has the right to regulate and control more or less anything that has the potential to destabilize any significant part of that society. I'd even say that this is one of the key prerogatives of government: regulating and curbing forces that individuals can never hope to control themselves. Economics is a significant part of any society. As for calling it "aggression" and "use of force" simply shows that you view the government purely as an adversary, and doesn't really add to this argument, outside of underlining your denial of the possibility of a non-adversarial government. Which is another matter entirely.
I agree completely with the second sentence if cryptocurrencies (and not blockchain tech) is ever to have any real utility. The issue is that achieving that alongside the existence of largely-deregulated global investment banks is ... well, impossible. Investors speculate (i.e. gamble) in anything and everything. Commodities trading literally amounts to buying and selling (virtually, without it ever moving or changing hands) whatever stuff you can get your hands on at a mind-boggling pace to eke out profits by serving as an intermediary in the otherwise necessary movement of these commodities. If something is for sale, it is likely already being speculated on. The only thing that can curb this is regulation of the financial sector, as telling them "can you please not speculate in Bitcoin" isn't going to help much. Of course, for cryptocurrencies, that aren't actually goods that need to move around and change hands for reasons relating to their own existence (say, factories needing supplies to produce things, or people needing food to live) can simply say "our currency is not available to buy and sell". Of course, that would be regulation, and would require some sort of system to uphold it. And it would cause serious trouble for the actual use of this currency (if you can't buy it, how do you obtain it? If you can't sell it, how do you buy anything with it?). There's also the issue of mining and proof-of-work: is that a necessary component of cryptocurrencies, and if it is, how can we maintain crypto while avoiding doing lasting harm to our planet? What good is a deregulated currency if we're enduring a global extinction event that threatens the ecosystems that we rely on to live?
Agreed.

I doubt "statists" will do any such thing (as that would imply some sort of trans-ideological grassroots movement among people who believe in government oversight (which is common to the vast majority of ideologies, just in various ways), which is highly unlikely), but (over?)protective national governments (through their officials) might. Given the volatility of global markets (ironically largely caused by lack of oversight and adversarial/protectionist stances by said governments), letting a supranational economic structure gain significant power in a society is something most people are wary of. As they ought to be, really. It can be quite easily argued that wide-spread adoption of crypto in commerce and day-to-day economics would be fundamentally antidemocratic, as it would a) remove voting rights for non-property holders (at least in this field), b) mean that people all over the globe have power over places they don't live, work or have any other relation to, and c) open the door to corporate, for-profit control of the economic building blocks of said society.

For the record: I'm actually quite a proponent of a global, supranational currency - it comes with my belief that we need a global, supranational government (democratically elected, of course, the specifics of which I do not even have the slightest clue of how would work) to avoid conflict and exploitation and ensure an effective and fair society in as many places as possible. I just don't believe that cryptocurrencies have the potential to be this, as they don't seem to be built with the necessary structures to avoid consolidation of power from wealth, and thus for-profit abuse.

Well, yes, as you have probably seen already, I do indeed. However, isn't that what we call a discussion? And no, we aren't back to page 2 - the only real similarity I can find between that post where you first said that, now, and page 2 (and thereabouts) is that they're generally related to the topic of this thread. As such, I suppose you're kind of right, but isn't that also where this discussion ought to be?

This is indeed a common misconception, though one that affects pretty much any tech that rises to significance in society: that people think it will supplant (and thus remove) whatever came before it. Outside of ... Betamax and HD-DVD?, I can't really think of a single case where this has actually happened. Digital documents haven't replaced books or paper documents, but supplemented and nuanced their use. While cell phones have almost entirely replaced landlines (at least here in Norway), they're still phones. One could argue that texting and IM of various kinds has taken over, but those haven't in any way removed voice calls. And so on, and so on. Generally, all inventions supplement each other, and outright replacement is very rare indeed.

I say that you force your opinion on others, not in this thread, but through your belief in regulation in general. The fact that you want to interfere in a consensual transaction between myself and another person, using the force of aggressive government, IS inherently you forcing your opinion on me. If I want to participate in a marketplace and use a currency that could result in whatever bad result you want to prevent, that is my prerogative.

If I want to buy apples from Bill, and Bill wants to sell me apples, and we want to use rocks as our currency, neither you nor anyone else has an inherent right to interfere with that transaction. The fact that you want regulation means you are necessarily infringing upon what amounts to a consensual transaction. THAT is what I mean by you forcing your opinion on me. That is why I say "If you don't want to use crypto, don't. Leave the ones who do alone." It has nothing to do with this thread, or whether I think we should discuss it. We want an unregulated, user-controlled currency system, for various practical and ideological reasons. Crypto enables this in a way that has never been feasible before. It's in its infancy yes. But that doesn't change the fact that you disagreeing with whether an unregulated currency is good or not is absolutely, 100% irrelevant. It does not involve you. What I do involves me, and the persons with whom I deal. If you think crypto is bad, or won't work, or whatever... then don't use it. That's your prerogative. But it gives you absolutely no right to govern what I do, as long as those dealings are with others who consent to the transactions.

This is why I said the question in the OP is flawed. It's not a rhetorical trick, you just don't understand the nuance that I'm getting at. Crypto can be the future for those that want it. I am not saying that to shut down discussion. I am saying that, because I believe that consent is the basis for all human interaction. If I do something involving another person, and that person does not consent, I have committed a crime, and am now under purview of society and government. But if I am dealing only with myself and consenting parties, you and society as a whole, have no dominion, nor right to interfere.

You disagree, obviously. You believe that society has a right to intervene. This is a violation of consent, and an aggression. Bill and I consent to our apples and rocks deal. We do not consent to Bob the Mayor telling us we cannot use rocks, or that we can only use specific rocks, or that the rocks have to be polished to a smooth surface so that nobody gets cut by a rock. Our deal has nothing to do with Bob, or Sally, or the rest of the town. If I sell Bill fake apples and defraud him, then it becomes the domain of government and society because I have violated consent.

This of course, leads into my next point (that I've made several times already, but like I said... here we are again.... this sub-forum, being made up of a small group of users mainly, has much context that cannot be gleaned from this single thread, I will admit. But that doesn't change the fact that mostly everyone here actively in discussion except you already has this context. You admittedly refuse to do the reading required to gain it. This is why I am generally irked by your tirade about how I refuse to debate you. I've paid my dues to this group here, and the conversation. You have not.)

Anyway... next point... crypto (and any distributed system, really) is inherently resistant to control, even in the case that a group of users become the dominant forces, *because* of consent. If manipulation occurs by a de-facto oligarchy of users with a large amount of power... other users can simply leave to an alternative. This is unlike a government-backed currency, which is forced upon us. Those group of people who control the federal reserve and other national banks like it, the economies are their playthings. There is no consent involved. It is the definition of an oligarchy (which is why I made the joke at Ford's expense... I can't speak for Ford, but we have a long history of disagreeing on everything, and I fancy we have established a rapport that that's the way it is... You and I, not so much...)

If the "whales" as the oligarchy is called in crypto, become too entrenched for the masses of users to tolerate, we can leave to alternatives. This is happening as we speak. Bitcoin will die soon, as the arbiter of crypto in general. The signs are there, we're just in the growing pains of it. The hope is, of course, that users move to better evolved alternatives, and not out of crypto completely. This may or may not happen. We are near the crossroads of crypto dying or being revived. We can speculate as to which it will be, but nobody knows for sure. But the point is that we CAN. This cannot be said for state-backed currencies. And I say that in the colloquial sense, as crypto is also state-backed, in the purest sense of a state being a group of people aligning. But crypto is backed by a non-aggressive state.

I just don't believe that cryptocurrencies have the potential to be this, as they don't seem to be built with the necessary structures to avoid consolidation of power from wealth, and thus for-profit abuse.

This statement describes fiat currency, backed by a state that is the very epitome of consolidation of power from wealth, and for-profit abuse, not crypto. The ONLY system that has a built-in potential to resist this, is one that is necessarily voluntary. Crypto is that. Your arguments assume that a government, literally built upon the consolidation of power from wealth, can somehow spawn a tool that resists such itself. This of course spawns from your faith in democracy, yet another example of a consolidation of power in the hands of a collective, with the express purpose of curtailing the actions of minorities.

How you justify that logically, I'll never understand. But I have to remember that this is what they teach in school, and most people will never question those basic assumptions.

Sigh... I said I wasn't going to do this... and here I am again.

Last edited:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
No I don't. I was surprised that the 2014 toy money craziness wasn't the last.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED

Dorset, with all due respect, real discussion on this is a good thing and no one is forcing you to read it...

No I don't. I was surprised that the 2014 toy money craziness wasn't the last.

Honestly, I’m very much betting we’ll see it again soon. Mark my words.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Honestly, I’m very much betting we’ll see it again soon. Mark my words.

I'm hoping we do. My little stash of BTC isn't helping me at all right now. I wanted to use it to pay for some new computer parts, but that's gonna be hard when the price of BTC keeps going down. Of course I'm not new to this game and I know it could very well shoot back up...

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Guys get a Room and use Crypto to pay for it or Take it to PM's
IS someone going for post QuoteMaster badge

I would agree with you if it was off topic but generally, it is on topic and mostly civil. I am honestly floored there were people that up-voted that....what the heck is the point of the forum if people are told to take it to PM. Double post, get yelled at, quote - get yelled at. Damned if you do and damned if you don't some days, I guess.

It's future. Before starting any investment you should learn the crypto market and trace it's unstable mood.

System Name Box
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI Meg Ace Max 570S
Cooling Corsair h150i Elite Capellix 360 white
Memory 16 GB Teamforce DDR 4 4500 (2x8) CL18
Video Card(s) Aorus 1080ti
Storage NVMe: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, WD_BLACK SN770 2TB, Crucial P5 Plus 2TB, spinners: 3TB, 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 1080p
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic white - fans: 2x140mm, 7x120mm
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply EVGA G2 850
Mouse Razor DeathAdder 3.5G
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win10 pro
Benchmark Scores later
If you have money you can afford to lose, go ahead and invest a bit into crypto. Worst that will happen is you lose that amount of money. Best that can happen is you will make several times that amount of money. At the very least you will enjoy the ride. Well probably enjoy the ride. At least I have. As always only invest what you can afford to lose.

This is new technology. As such no one really knows where it will go. And that's half the fun. I got into it for the tech. And that was in 2011. Nowadays it seems most people into it for the profit. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but that's not what this is really about in my opinion. It's the great experiment and I am enjoying being part of it.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
It's future. Before starting any investment you should learn the crypto market and trace it's unstable mood.
crypto is not an investment, its a piece of technology that a few people turned it to in a gambling style investment.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
crypto is not an investment, its a piece of technology that a few people turned it to in a gambling style investment.

Don't those both kinda contain the word "investment?"

I don't think anyone believes it's a safe or predictable one, for sure..

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..

bitcoin has just pushed above $7000 again and gold just above $1200.. i can remember reading not all that long ago that one bitcoin was worth more than an ounce of gold.. :)

bitcoin dosnt look too bad if the silly manic highs are ignored..

trog

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard

Lots of people believed that in was some kind of investment so they put lots of their money into it. And a lot of them lost big time and others gained.
I meet about a dozen people in person who told me that it would always increase. A few of them invested into ASIC machines and got rid of their GPUs for cheap to me. I bought them and started mining alt-coins with them.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
bitcoin dosnt look too bad if the silly manic highs are ignored..

Every serious investor would cringe if they would hear, "Hey, this is pretty good, just ignore the manic highs."

And that's why crypto will just sort of hang in there, ostracized from other investments. I heard lot of rich man say that they are not interested in crypto whether it was at a high or when it plummeted, either it's all a conspiracy so they can get rich unbeknown to us or they know better.

I've been thinking, what if crypto is mostly used by the average Joe looking to get rich and most don't have a damn clue as to what they're doing. It would explain a lot, including the manic highs. I no longer think crypto is an bad investment inherently, ironically what seems to make it a bad is actually the people screwing with it.

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Memory 32GB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro

I don't mean this to be mean, and it's not directed at you, but more just directed at the general public... but if you think that ANY stock investment of any kind is not a gamble to some extent, then you probably shouldn't invest.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
I don't mean this to be mean, and it's not directed at you, but more just directed at the general public... but if you think that ANY stock investment of any kind is not a gamble to some extent, then you probably shouldn't invest.
The stock market can also be gambling but not all stocks are like that. Most stocks are backed up by companies with history of growth or decline and over 100 years of research.
Most crypto coins turned out to be in the order of some kind of fraud. Overall I think crypto is pure crap but the technology behind crypto is going to be the real magic.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Lots of people believed that in was some kind of investment so they put lots of their money into it. And a lot of them lost big time and others gained.
I meet about a dozen people in person who told me that it would always increase. A few of them invested into ASIC machines and got rid of their GPUs for cheap to me. I bought them and started mining alt-coins with them.

You never heard the phrase "high risk investment?"

It should be treated as such.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard