• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive for Most Devices [USB Supported]

SharpBlue

I've been trying to get this to work for a few hours now but it's obvious I'm out of my league and I don't understand enough about how it works to know how to get this software functioning with my system.

I followed the instructions in post #1, restarted my computer and now when I select "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)" as the output device in Windows sound settings, sound still comes out of my analog speakers which are connected to the standard analog jack. No sound comes out of my Sony receiver as it did previously. Also, now the passthrough function in VLC no longer passes through DTS, DD, etc and instead the receiver tells me that it's just receiving a 48k stereo signal, but it does play stereo sound through the receiver that way. However, in the Windows sound control panel, the DTS and Dolby Digital tests still play correctly, prompting my receiver to display and play DTS or DD respectively during the test.

My goal is to be able to play two channel audio from music and YouTube, and also surround sound/multi channel audio from games, through my Sony receiver via SPDIF, because that's the only option I have to connect the two.

Things of note:
The DTS APO4 service is installed but did not start automatically. I started it manually but the above described situation did not change.
The Realtek Audio Console (which I did not have before) says "Can not connect to RPC service." I have a service called RPC Endpoint Mapper which is running (not sure if that's the one it's looking for though).
The DTS:X Ultra app is now installed but it gives the message: "Please connect external speakers to use DTS audio controls. Please connect a Headphone to use DTS audio controls." But I do have speakers connected, a powered pair of analog speakers and a powered analog subwoofer, as well as the SPDIF cable.
I have an MSI X79A-GD45 with a Realtek ALC892 using driver version 10.0.19041.264. Included is a screen shot of my drivers because... well, there is a long story behind the drivers and these are what's working.

Also attached is what my FX Configurator currently looks like. I thought it had more fields populated when I ran it the first time, now it only has data in the fields showing in the screen shot. I could be mistaken though.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

*Edit: I just noticed that my volume level has decreased significantly. In a game I used to have the Windows volume level at 12 for quiet playing, now 12 is nearly inaudible and I have to have it on 28 to get the same output from my speakers. To hear YouTube videos I have to turn it up to 90 where before 35 was plenty sufficient. Not sure what caused this since I didn't change drivers.

Screenshot 2022-03-11 180617.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-11 181011.jpg

Last edited:

zais

hi, tx for unlocked driver and further colaboration with mutual member, may we have unlocked driver for logitech g560 which support dtsx, tx

Clibanarius

Hey, Ferather, got a few typos that might make some difference in the reg files.

Line 234 in register.reg, What should be D16DEBE9 is DD16DEBE9.

And, and I don't know if this is the same for anyone else, but when installing fresh, with no RtkApi64U.dll present in system32, the entire setup fails because {CE93F536-D2FB-4E8F-8193-F57AD8BC90D5} exists. If I delete that out of the registry, works fine. And seems to work fine IF I've got my Realtek mobo stack onlined at boot and the drivers installed. Kinda weird, but maybe wanna look at that for compatibility.

Also, any instance of \\ in the file is... causing problems, I dunno if it's just on my end or what, but doing a replace-all of them into regular single-backslashes made them stop being bad.

Hope any of this helps!

Noted. Sorry I am still very busy, and will help with TeamViewer hopefully Monday.

SharpBlue

Noted. Sorry I am still very busy, and will help with TeamViewer hopefully Monday.
If you're really busy you don't have to take time to do TeamViewer, I'm also going to be pretty busy myself this week. But maybe you could give me some direction on how to get it working correctly in the meantime?

Previously I noted that my volume was significantly lower than before, but it's actually not just lower but the volume varies wildly. Some things like Youtube videos are incredibly low, but system notifications are very loud in comparison. Previously everything pretty much sounded comparable to each other at any given volume. I switched to using my usb DAC with my computer speakers, but the problem appears there too, though not as bad. Could something have been changed in how Windows processes sound?

I apologize for my busyness, is this with the provided preset? Stop the two audio services, 'Audio Service' and 'Audio Endpoint Builder'.
Once they stop, find and stop all services related to sound APO's, such as DTS, Realtek, Creative, and so on.

Once every possible audio service and task has been stopped, restart the computer.
Let me know if that makes any difference, else I need to look into it.

====

Another method

Using 'FX Config', on the right panel, press 'Rebuild Audio Endpoints', this will hard reset all audio devices to their native driver settings.
This should eliminate a number of issues, but may not apply to you, the rebuild will generate a new GUID for each device.

You will need to re-edit the 'Stereo.reg' or the multichannel ones, with the new GUID, apply then restart.

Last edited:
Can someone explain how to add DTS 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1 over SPDIF Digital Optical for Windows & Games on a ASUS Xonar DG PCI Sound Card?

Which exact files do I need to download?

I am not sure this pack will work natively on a PCI device, not without converting it to HDAUDIO, if one is present on the system.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, IceMan DD block
Memory G.SKILL F5-7200J3646F24GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
I am not sure this pack will work natively on a PCI device, not without converting it to HDAUDIO, if one is present on the system.
1. How to 'convert'?
2. Not sure I understand the 'if HDAUDIO is present'.

Part 2 of this post, I used an onboard Realtek device which is already HDAUDIO, but it can be any HDAUDIO device.
My AMD GPU, is also a HDAUDIO device, so you should be able to use that if you have one.

Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, IceMan DD block
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
Part 2 of this post, I used an onboard Realtek device which is already HDAUDIO, but it can be any HDAUDIO device.
My AMD GPU, is also a HDAUDIO device, so you should be able to use that if you have one.

OK, but that is not the question.

How does one 'convert' a PCI soundcard to HDAUDIO?

@Ferather
can you help me Via team viewer I tried to install your driver from first post but I end up with broken system and I had to reinstall windows.
I use analogue 5.1 audio and I really want the up-mixing to work with DTS.
thank you in advance.

Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
How to convert a device to HD Audio (and unlock Ultra).

In this example, I am using a virtual device, but for devices that still don't work after you have done the setup .reg, such as USB, do the following:

Open 'FX Config' and select the device you want, then on the right press the 'Jump to Properties Key', this will open 'Regedit' at the device.
Find a 'HDAUDIO' device on the system (left side in Regedit), it can be anything that says 'HDAUDIO', I used Realtek 'Speakers'.

Find and copy the value of '{b3f8fa53-0004-438e-9003-51a46e139bfc},2', replace the value on the virtual device (USB).
Next, replace '{a45c254e-df1c-4efd-8020-67d146a850e0},24', with 'HDAUDIO', no '', then restart your PC.

HDAUDIO.png
Virtual.png

----

@druboo_666, message me a good time for tomorrow evening.

SharpBlue

I apologize for my busyness, is this with the provided preset? Stop the two audio services, 'Audio Service' and 'Audio Endpoint Builder'.
Once they stop, find and stop all services related to sound APO's, such as DTS, Realtek, Creative, and so on.

Once every possible audio service and task has been stopped, restart the computer.
Let me know if that makes any difference, else I need to look into it.

====

Another method

Using 'FX Config', on the right panel, press 'Rebuild Audio Endpoints', this will hard reset all audio devices to their native driver settings.
This should eliminate a number of issues, but may not apply to you, the rebuild will generate a new GUID for each device.

You will need to re-edit the 'Stereo.reg' or the multichannel ones, with the new GUID, apply then restart.
Hello, you don't have to apologize for being busy, this is the way of life sometimes.

I finally got around to trying your suggestions and I only found services labeled "DTS APO4 Service" and "DTSAudioSvc" then in the task manager there was a "Logitech Surround Sound Service" and an "HD Audio Background Process" and I ended both of them. I restarted the computer after that but now my Realtek is missing from available output devices in Windows sound settings, though it does still show up in the device manager as seen in the screen shot here. When I restarted the computer all of the sound services that I stopped or ended have come back and started themselves again but the Realtek is still gone from the sound settings.

How do I get the Realtek audio to show up under output devices again? As of now I can't use the onboard sound at all and have to rely solely on my USB DAC for sound.

1648310355840.png

Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
How to convert a device to HD Audio (and unlock Ultra).

In this example, I am using a virtual device, but for devices that still don't work after you have done the setup .reg, such as USB, do the following:

Open 'FX Config' and select the device you want, then on the right press the 'Jump to Properties Key', this will open 'Regedit' at the device.
Find a 'HDAUDIO' device on the system (left side in Regedit), it can be anything that says 'HDAUDIO', I used Realtek 'Speakers'.

Find and copy the value of '{b3f8fa53-0004-438e-9003-51a46e139bfc},2', replace the value on the virtual device (USB).
Next, replace '{a45c254e-df1c-4efd-8020-67d146a850e0},24', with 'HDAUDIO', no '', then restart your PC.

View attachment 241405
View attachment 241406

----

@druboo_666, message me a good time for tomorrow evening.
What is 'FX Config'?

Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
@SharpBlue, message me also. @Arctucas, its a tool provided with the package (in the unzipped folder), which you see in post 1.

The DTS-X Ultra7z>SETUP>FX Configurator>?

Which file to use? FX Configurator exe, FX bat, Launch bat all result in command prompt window with 'Active code page: 65001.
fx.JPG

Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
When I run the Install shortcut I get this:

dts error 1.JPG

dts error 2.JPG
dts message.JPG

Contents of the System32\DTS\PC\APO4x folder:

dts pc apo4x folder.JPG

What is wrong?

Very odd I don't know, Windows certainly can be problem. I see the files so I am not sure, they are copied before the register.
You will have the manually register them, but it seems like you might get an issue if you do.

What Windows version are you using?

Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
Tried both W7 & W10.