• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editing Windows 10 Start Menu

Right when it comes to software I'm worse than a newbie. Where do I get open shell as I would dearly like to change my start menu? Thanks in advance.
You can get it from Majorgeeks, one of my very favorite software repositories;
Or from the GitHub page directly;
The current version being 4.4.131;
This version is compatible with all current versions of Windows.

Last edited:
Most computers, by far, only have a single drive.

Context ...Most computers may have a single hard drive .... but when asked to do a system build, how many of your proposed builds or anyone's proposed buils here on TPU do not include an SSD ? We have not built, nor been asked to build, a single drive system in over a decade. Every build has had components chosen with the provision for 2 drives or the addition of a 2nd drive when budget allows. But why avoid the main point, why the assumption of multiple uses when ,,, to borrow a phrase "by far" most PCs have a single user ? Why the forced hard to find placement of user and application specific files inside a "user" folder ? If I have 5 Adobe products, why must i search for these files in my operating system folder instead of application specific folders ? Why is there no sensible file structure like ?

E:\Adobe
Adobe Common
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Premiere

Two points here. First, those invasive tricks and subterfuge tactics were dictated by marketing weenies and misguided C-Level execs. Not the developers. And note Microsoft knows very well (in hindsight) that was a huge mistake.

And second, why did they want everyone to upgrade? That is just simple and good business sense to be able to concentrate its resources on 1 product than it is on many. This is in almost any industry. Ford is discontinuing making cars (except the Mustang) to concentrate on SUVs and F-series pickup trucks. The best restaurants have the smallest menus.

This distinction is relevant to consumers in no way that i can possible imagine. To borrow your restaurant analogy . I go into a restaurant, I order, the food arrives .... It's not what I ordered, it's cold, the chicken is raw and my pregnat wife's "virgin" cocktail contains alcohol. I have no interest in who scrwewed up, the server, the chef, the waitress. My only concern is that I spoke to the Owner the last time we came in about the problems and he problems continue. What difference does it make to the consumer what the developers wanted to do if it didn't get done ? I don't care if the chef rushed out the uncooked chicken or that the bartender put alcohol on my wife's frozen cocktail because they are times on order completion and the boss says, every order must be on the table in xx minutes. They new after their 1st attempt, after the 2nd and after each successive attempt. In no case did the negative feedback affect the decision making process because they had a contracts to provided mined data to their partners with minimum use targets that increased month to month as adoption rates increased.

When they failed to meet these targets, there were financial implications. The payment schedules which said "We'll pay you X million dollars for the 1st quarter provided that you provide user data from y million boxes " means that, with the dismal adoption rate it was costing MS gazillions. Each level of management doesn't care what excuses you have, so te onerous / sneaky stuff was going to continue until Win10 finally passed Win 7 as the dominant Windows version at the end of 2018.

The wanted everyone to upgrade for one reason ... cash flow. Your multiple reasoning is just another component of that and it's flawed. How does MS carrying costs for windows 7 change as the result of market share. Their costs are pushing out patches and updates. That does not change to any significant extent whether Win 10s market share is 10, 20, 30, ... or today's 41.7% .... Win 7 is 37.31%( per netmarketshare) ... Others sources have it at 58.63% / 31.22% but whatever the number is, it's totally meaningless. How does MS's cost for development of support materials vary whether it's downloaded ... for the sake of argument, let's say there's 1 billion Windows licenses. How would MS's expenses associated with Win 7 change if it's downloaded 350 million times or 1 million times ? If I charge $100,000 to design a water treatment facility, expecting 5 bidders to ask for plans that I have placed in dropbox ... if they have 30 bidders, how much would you be willing to pay because more people downloaded the files ?

The other analogies fall flat ... is Ford refusing to honor warrantees for the current model lines ? I worked in the restaurant business, so did my wife, 2 of my sons, my brother-in-law is a high end chef and I have 3 friends who own restaurants. The menu thing has no basis in fact. Is White Castle the world's best restaurant ?

Great thread, but... This is what I do on all my Win10 pcs:

I remove all junk from stock start menu.
I add the programs I use daily.
I make groups for these programs (Office-System-Benching-Games-Multimedia-Internet is the most common deployment I make, but it's up to you.)
I put the most used program group close to the lower left corner where my pointer already is so I do not have to move it a lot.
Ah, and I have classic Control Panel in my Taskbar, with most used parts "pinned".

You want Microsoft to bend over backwards and cater to just those few "elite" enthusiasts.
To counter that point, I give you Apple. Catering to the elites is the Apple business model. They are currently one of the richest and most successful companies on the planet.
While I understand and would also like greater flexibility, it is just unrealistic to expect any company to cater their products to the elite few. For that reason, IMO, it is unreasonable to be so critical of Microsoft for not catering to your elitist viewpoint. That's not good business.
When you cater to the elites of any group you will win over your market sector because the general audience looks up to the knowledgeable experts for guidance. Right now, Microsoft isn't doing that and they are faultering.
Great thread, but... This is what I do on all my Win10 pcs:

I remove all junk from stock start menu.
I add the programs I use daily.
I make groups for these programs (Office-System-Benching-Games-Multimedia-Internet is the most common deployment I make, but it's up to you.)
I put the most used program group close to the lower left corner where my pointer already is so I do not have to move it a lot.
Ah, and I have classic Control Panel in my Taskbar, with most used parts "pinned".
Those are good work around's.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
but when asked to do a system build, how many of your proposed builds or anyone's proposed buils here on TPU do not include an SSD ?
Lot's. Hard drives are still the predominant mass storage device. And they will remain so until price per gigabyte with SSD levels out with hard drives.

For the record, all of my builds in the last couple years have been either SSD only, or SSD for the boot, and HD as secondary. But what you and me and everyone else on TPU build is minutia compared to the totals by Dell. Add in HP, Acer, and Lenovo and its not even a drop in the ocean.

None of that raw chicken analogy applies or makes sense here. This discussion has nothing to do with kitchen or bar staff screwing up orders. For the vast majority of users, Windows works just fine. Identified bugs are fixed as soon as possible. There is no "policy" to serve raw chicken or alcohol in virgin drinks in that restaurant or by Microsoft.

To counter that point, I give you Apple. Catering to the elites is Apple business model. They are currently one of the richest and most successful companies on the planet.
IMO, that does not counter, that supports. Do your homework. MacOS holds less than 10% of the market share. Windows almost 90%. Apple is the richest company because of their smart phone business. Not only that, your analogy is totally flawed because if any computer maker regularly stifles that flexibility you keep demanding, it is Apple.

When you cater to the elites of any group you will win over your market sector
No argument there. But you are assuming there's profit in winning over tiny niche markets. Typically, there isn't and that is why most who try, fail, or they have big investors willing to pour money into losing ventures in the hopes some day down the road, it will pay off - after they have secured the patents and copyrights.

You guys can keep arguing with me all you want. But you are barking up the wrong tree. I have repeatedly said, over and over again, I too want more flexibility. I want Netflix to offer BBC America and CBS All Access but they won't do it. Those are not bugs, those are just the way it is.

Back to Apple. How many iPhone users ("elite" and regular) do you supposed pleaded with Apple to get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack? How many do suppose where happy Apple force them to buy new headphones or get an adapter? Millions and millions? 100s of 1000s? 1000s? 100s? 10s? 1?

I bet closer to, if not 0.

Last edited:
IMO, that does not counter, that supports. Do your homework. MacOS holds less than 10% of the market share.
I wasn't talking about MacOS, I was talking about Apple as a company. The context is valid.
Not only that, your analogy is totally flawed because if any computer maker regularly stifles that flexibility you keep demanding, it is Apple.
Again, you missed the context. I was talking about a company listening to elite users. Unfortunately Apple users are generally a bunch of narrow minded nitwits.
No argument there. But you are assuming there's profit in winning over tiny niche markets.
Again, Apple has proven repeatedly that there is BIG business in niche markets as they make a habit of turning niche markets into mainstream markets..
How many iPhone users ("elite" and regular) do you supposed pleaded with Apple to get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack? How many do suppose where happy Apple force them to buy new headphones or get an adapter? Millions and millions? 100s of 1000s? 1000s? 100s? 10s? 1?
Actually, that is an example of the "upper cream" types leading in directions the masses don't want to go. They want their wireless prim and proper devices that make them look good while they do their "thing", they care more about style than functionality. While I detest that mentality, it is a good example of elite leading. Just the wrong type of elites.

My point is, Microsoft used to listen to us "power-user" types. They stopped doing that in 2011(ish). This is a bad thing and has resulted in convoluted rubbish like the UI of Windows 8/8.1 and 10.

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
The very first time I was confronted with the Windows 8 Start screen and then tried to navigate around the tiles in order to find the rest of my PC or even to restart it, I knew Microsoft had made a serious mistake. Which is why they couldn't rush 8.1 out quick enough. The Start Menu is so fundamental to Windows that breaking it served no purpose whatsoever.
Mobile devices are one thing, but PCs are very different beasts.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
How does MS carrying costs for windows 7 change as the result of market share.
:confused: Nobody said it did.

What I said is it takes resources to develop, test and maintain updates for W7, as well as W8 and W10. And the problem there is there are $0.00 returns on any of those expenditures for the obsolete, superseded operating systems.

It's the same thing as HP or Brother refusing to develop, test, and post W10 drivers for 15 year old printing devices. They surely want consumers to buy their new products that are currently under production where they can make some profit. But of course, who gets blamed for HP and Brother choosing and failing to make compatible drivers? Microsoft.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Doesn't that require the user to compile the code themselves? Maybe I missed something?
Nope, no compiling required if you click the first link in my post.

Last edited: