• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ethereum Mining Wipes Out Radeon Inventory, AMD Stock Rallies

Crypto currencies should be banned by law. This crap is the most useless thing humanity has done right after the fidget spinners. Computing some useless numbers, wasting gigawats of power on it for what exactly? Go and do compute on cancer and HIV research, but crypto currency? WHY!? No to mention it fucks up the graphics market yet again.

Its a waste of resources as compared to what?

At least quarter billion people working directly or supporting the banking system all around the world?

Now that's a waste of resources and those people could be far more useful to humanity.
Let the machines crunch the numbers and use the human creativity for Cancer or HIV research.

PS: i never mined, and I don't own any digital currency.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
the world works in strange ways but money for nothing for the masses has to have a bad ending.. crypto mining which equates to money for nothing to me cant end well..

at least in my old fashioned way of thinking.. he he..

trog

ps.. i did read somewhere that 10.000 put into bitcoin back in 2010 would be worth over 30 million now.. okay for a lucky few but when the world and his dog get in on the act who the f-ck knows.. :)

Last edited:
Entertainment, relaxation, trainig motoric and cognitive skills. Games are already ahead with its purpose.

How to spot a butthurt miner. Just say mining is crap and they'll lash at you like hardcore vegans. Stop being cultists mkay?

So, having an opinion over certain thing being retarded is not allowed anymore. Wiu wiu wiu wiu thought police incoming!

Nothing like an idiot crying for freedom of speech while being offensive to others.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
So, having an opinion over certain thing being retarded is not allowed anymore. Wiu wiu wiu wiu thought police incoming!

Well calling something "retarded" as a means to insult is morally not allowed, so there is that.
And well an opinion is always allowed, but is only worth something through arguments.

And while I have no clue what all this is about I do also want to add that many times people dont seem to understand what an opinion is, for example saying that in your opinion the Statue of Liberty is 2 meters tall is just plain wrong.

EDIT, read it a bit and well about you just being wrong I guess we need to refer back to @killa007 's post which while admittingly comes across way too hostile and therefor a little childish, they make a lot of points towards what makes it actually useful.
So stating its useless is simply wrong.

and to the hostility, I feel sadly that this website has also been consumed in the maelstrom of negativity these days.
Idk what is going on in the world, but man people sure are angry these days and everywhere...well atleast everywhere on the internet.
Sad stuff.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x16 GB (64GB) DDR4-3600 C18
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX500 500GB
Case Fractal Define C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-550
Isn't "Etherium" supposed to be spelled "Ethereum"?

Nothing like an idiot crying for freedom of speech while being offensive to others.

Because that's LITERALLY what freedom of speech is. It's you who is apparently offended by my opinion that crypto currencies are retarded. What the hell you even wanted to say with this line, because it's an oxymoronic.

Well calling something "retarded" as a means to insult is morally not allowed, so there is that.
And well an opinion is always allowed, but is only worth something through arguments.

And while I have no clue what all this is about I do also want to add that many times people dont seem to understand what an opinion is, for example saying that in your opinion the Statue of Liberty is 2 meters tall is just plain wrong.

EDIT, read it a bit and well about you just being wrong I guess we need to refer back to @killa007 's post which while admittingly comes across way too hostile and therefor a little childish, they make a lot of points towards what makes it actually useful.
So stating its useless is simply wrong.

and to the hostility, I feel sadly that this website has also been consumed in the maelstrom of negativity these days.
Idk what is going on in the world, but man people sure are angry these days and everywhere...well atleast everywhere on the internet.
Sad stuff.

I'm calling the CRYPTO CURRENCY retarded, not you or any [insert person]. Learn a god damn difference.

System Name Warranty Void Mk.IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus X470-I Strix
Cooling Arctic Freezer 240 + 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm / Silverstone 120mm Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz 2x8GB CL16 - Tightened Sub-timings
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Storage WD SN550 / MX300 / MX500
Display(s) AOC CU34G2 / LG 29UM69G-B - Auxilary
Case CM NR200p / Silverstone RVZ03-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220+SupremeFX
Power Supply Corsair CX550M 550W / Silverstone SX650-G 650W
Mouse Logitech G302/G502/G203 / RPG: Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard CM Masterkeys Pro M / Asus Sagaris GK100
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - LTSB
Welp, it's a desert in Europe for a month I think, now if I wanted a GPU, I would be forced to buy a GeForce card. And I just got this fresh Freesync capable monitor, whhhyyyyy?!

Or maybe I can wait a year and pick up an RX 580 for almost half or the price a year later, by then VEGA should be out I guess.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Because that's LITERALLY what freedom of speech is. It's you who is apparently offended by my opinion that crypto currencies are retarded. What the hell you even wanted to say with this line, because it's an oxymoronic.

I'm calling the CRYPTO CURRENCY retarded, not you or any [insert person]. Learn a god damn difference.

Hence I said something and not someone...learn 2 read.
And did I not just make a remark about all the negativity? no need to start lashing out like a child yourself now as well.

Lastly, I think @mistme was making a point about how many people seem to hate on other people for calling them out on bad behavior, claiming they have a right to freedom of speech, yet then ignore the same right of those people to criticize them for it.

Crypto currencies should be banned by law. This crap is the most useless thing humanity has done right after the fidget spinners. Computing some useless numbers, wasting gigawats of power on it for what exactly? Go and do compute on cancer and HIV research, but crypto currency? WHY!? No to mention it fucks up the graphics market yet again.
Oh, someone ignorant is bashing cryptocoins again.

There are gridcoin (BOINC), curecoin (Folding@Home) , foldingcoin (Folding@Home) for you to choose from if you want to help science in the process.

I agree with @RejZoR - it would be a lot better if we had a "paid" computation project for HIV cure or something like that.
Well, they already exist and are listed above.

Last edited:
Its a waste of resources as compared to what?

At least quarter billion people working directly or supporting the banking system all around the world?

Now that's a waste of resources and those people could be far more useful to humanity.
Let the machines crunch the numbers and use the human creativity for Cancer or HIV research.

PS: i never mined, and I don't own any digital currency.
You know there's stupid & then there's this :rolleyes:

So you think people who walk a mile or two to work, in a bank, or commute 2~4 hours to/from work are a waste of resource? As compared to what - slobs sitting in a chair mining bazillions of BTC/LTC/ETH spending literally tons of fossil fuel in the process! The ones putting multi billion $ bets on stocks, not their money of course, are a different kind of <insert cute insult> & not worth debating, for what happened in 2008, but the regular joe is just as hard working as any other person out there.

Yeah there's an argument that the current financial system in place is inefficient, then again there are digital wallets out there which are just as efficient as any crypto currency, though not as untraceable as them. There is a reason why it's in demand, & no it's got more to do with shadiness than just anonymity or security!

Also apart from ETH, which still needs to be proven that it can do what R-T-B is saying, which other currency is doing anything for humanity? While we're at it why don't we ask everyone employed in the banking system to sit on their fat asses at home & mine ETH, that'll teach them! Then again next time you go to a hospital why don't you furnish BTC or whatever as a mode of payment, NO so how come your crypto currency needs to be converted into real money for it to be useful?

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
And as far as freedom of speech and low tpu standards, Rejzor, go kill yourself you fucking piece of shit.

So, nobody ever taught you proper debate skills, huh? :rolleyes:

System Name Avell old monster - Workstation T1 - HTPC
Processor i7-3630QM\i7-5960x\Ryzen 3 2200G
Cooling Stock.
Memory 2x4Gb @ 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) HD 7970M \ EVGA GTX 980\ Vega 8
Storage SSD Sandisk Ultra li - 480 GB + 1 TB 5400 RPM WD - 960gb SDD + 2TB HDD
ETHEREUM. -_-

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Anybody deciding to tell members to go kill themselves can direct themselves towards the forum guidelines to avoid getting banned. This is a topic for debate, not a poo slinging match. Put your big boy pants on and talk like adults.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
ETHEREUM. -_-
Pointless arguing spelling on an international website. There is no one universal way to spell things (yet).
I'm waiting for someone to make an Asic that can mine Etherium, that way GPU's will be freed up for their original intended use.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Entertainment, relaxation, trainig motoric and cognitive skills. Games are already ahead with its purpose.

How to spot a butthurt miner. Just say mining is crap and they'll lash at you like hardcore vegans. Stop being cultists mkay?
there isnt a need for that type of attitude either...So toxic....

A cult? Wth???!!!

Its also offensive when you say something is retarded. Are you 10 years old or simply prefer to use zero discretion and show no class when speaking? Shame on you.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
You know there's stupid & then there's this :rolleyes:

So you think people who walk a mile or two to work, in a bank, or commute 2~4 hours to/from work are a waste of resource? As compared to what - slobs sitting in a chair mining bazillions of BTC/LTC/ETH spending literally tons of fossil fuel in the process! The ones putting multi billion $ bets on stocks, not their money of course, are a different kind of <insert cute insult> & not worth debating, for what happened in 2008, but the regular joe is just as hard working as any other person out there.

Yeah there's an argument that the current financial system in place is inefficient, then again there are digital wallets out there which are just as efficient as any crypto currency, though not as untraceable as them. There is a reason why it's in demand, & no it's got more to do with shadiness than just anonymity or security!

Also apart from ETH, which still needs to be proven that it can do what R-T-B is saying, which other currency is doing anything for humanity? While we're at it why don't we ask everyone employed in the banking system to sit on their fat asses at home & mine ETH, that'll teach them! Then again next time you go to a hospital why don't you furnish BTC or whatever as a mode of payment, NO so how come your crypto currency needs to be converted into real money for it to be useful?

Speaking as an experienced miner, it is not a "sit on your ass all day" job by any means. Your house will burn down if you try this.

And a lot of mining is done in the energy rich hydro powered Puget sound region and surround, by the way.

Pointless arguing spelling on an international website. There is no one universal way to spell things (yet).

Actually, for something with a governing body and registered name (which Ethereum has) there most certainly is.

Speaking as an experienced miner, it is not a "sit on your ass all day" job by any means.

And a lot of mining is done in the energy rich hydro powered Puget sound, by the way.
That was slightly hyperbolic on my part, just to highlight the point that a quarter of a billion people are doing real work out there as compared to say miners who're letting the GPU do whatever it is doing. ETH & some alternative currencies are interesting but wouldn't it be fair to say that the vast majority of power/resources spent on mining crypto XYZ would be better spent elsewhere?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
ETH & some alternative currencies are interesting but would it be fair to say that the vast majority of power/resources spent on mining crypto XYZ would be better spend elsewhere?

I honestly believe if people weren't getting paid, you wouldn't have this network elsewhere. It simply would not exist. It would be in peoples PCs churning out FPS. Very few people do distributed compute, certainly not on the scale of mining now. It's sad but that is what we have.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Stupid -> Stupider -> Most stupeder? Is that better way of classifying something instead of just calling it retarded? Why are you all so butthurt over me expressing opinion that cryptocurrencies are so stupid they are literally retarded? It's just a word, damn it.
Just saying there is a way to get your point across without the insults, flamebait, and use of offensive words.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Just saying there is a way to get your point across without the insults, flamebait, and use of offensive words.

We all need to try and remember this.

System Name Avell old monster - Workstation T1 - HTPC
Processor i7-3630QM\i7-5960x\Ryzen 3 2200G
Cooling Stock.
Memory 2x4Gb @ 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) HD 7970M \ EVGA GTX 980\ Vega 8
Storage SSD Sandisk Ultra li - 480 GB + 1 TB 5400 RPM WD - 960gb SDD + 2TB HDD
I'm waiting for someone to make an Asic that can mine Etherium, that way GPU's will be freed up for their original intended use.

No way, that's not going to happen. Ether team will not allow.

What can happen is to adopt the POS pattern.

I honestly believe if people weren't getting paid, you wouldn't have this network elsewhere. It simply would not exist. It would be in peoples PCs churning out FPS. Very few people do distributed compute, certainly not on the scale of mining now. It's sad but that is what we have.
Not sure there'd be thousands of GPU's running games 24/7 :shadedshu:

Central banks have/are adopting cryptocurrency. Super, ultra, mega, faiiiiil posts. Good work, bub.
Central banks are adopting cryptocurrencies because this system needs regulation, not because cryptocurrencies are great.
The idea here is that people could be persuaded to use a "FEDcoin" instead of a Bitcoin (or other variants).
The minimal requirement for a stable currency is being able to control the amount of money - something that we don't have with the non-state cryptocurrencies. Another point would be to track the coins, which can be done (some BTC wallets do this). A cryptocurrency stored on a server in central bank would not be anonymous and hence hard to use for illegal transaction.

This could be simply solved by paying people for taking part in distributed computing. With real money.

We know that there will be 21 mln bitcoins - that's under 60 bln USD at current quote.
Ransomware attacks are expected to cost billions USD each year, so it's not like there isn't a way to gather funds. :)

Plus, there isn't really any guarantee that Ethereum network will ever be used for something useful. Personally, I really don't believe this will happen with Ethereum or any other mining network, but I'd love to be wrong.