• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Extremely Quick Thermal Paste Degradation, 15°C Increase - Bad Batch?

System Name Main | Second PC
Processor 12900K (P-only 5.1Ghz static)| 5800X (4.625Ghz Static)
Motherboard ASUS Z690-F | X570 Unify
Cooling 420mm + 120mm + D5 | NH-D15S
Memory DDR5 2x32GB 6200Mhz CL30| 4x8GB 3800Mhz CL16 1:1
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 (450W/1000W)| MSI RTX 3060 (190W)
Storage 2x 980 Pro 2TB | Micron 3400 1TB OEM
Display(s) ASUS PG32UQ (32" 4K 155Hz) + Samsung G7 27" | Acer Nitro XV273K (4K 144Hz 10bit)
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow| Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Custom HD600 (4.4mm BAL Pentacon, sheepskin pads) + Fiio Q3 | Audio-Technica MSR7b + FiiO Q1 Mk.II
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i | SilverStone SX1000 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G303 SE | Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman | Custom w/ thick white PBT keycaps, Kaihl Copper & BOX Black switches
Maybe the distilled water you added?
These small "re-fill-ments" that i did couldnt have been more than 100ml over the whole time, usually even 5ml was enough to fill it back up. Plus over time as i added new radiators they were also pre-filled with their liquid so the effect of the added distilled water should be even smaller. But as far as i can remember the liquid in it was pure and looking like water, even before i did anything with it as the reservoir has quite huge window.

If its copper then try using ketchup and a toothbrush. Ketchup cleans copper really well. Of course, clean the ketchup off with first soap and water and lastly isopropyl.
Thanks for the advice, ill remember this for future events but im really not looking to "fix" the old waterblock, the pump is almost dead and the "fins" barely covered half of the IHS.

Im really just trying to find out if i should look more into it for some extra protection, i checked the technical details of the 360mm rad and 280mm, both state copper but the XT45 120mm radiator seems bit odd as the site describes it as "Material internal: Mostly copper ". I really dont know what to think after seeing that to be honest. I dont want the same thing to happen to my Supremacy MX block.
Source: https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...acool-nexxxos-xt45-full-copper-120mm-radiator

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2

Sorry i couldn't resist
It cleans copper really well, trust me.

You could use Antifreeze and distilled water mixture that was used back in the day, I believe the automotive antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors in addition to polyethlyene glycol, I think it was 20% PEG antifreeze to 80% distilled water mixture but I could be wrong. This was from like 15 years ago when I fooled with watercooling.

Last edited:
System Name The Banshee
Processor Ryzen 5 5600 @ 4.45GHz
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling CM Hyper 212 Plus
Memory 16GB 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z 3600 CL16 1.35V
Video Card(s) RTX 3060M 6GB @ 1750-2000MHz Core / 1875MHz Mem
Storage 1TB Kingston NV2 & 1TB Mass Storage HDD
Display(s) LG 25UM57-P @ 75Hz OC
Case Fractal Design Arc XL
Audio Device(s) ATH-M20x
Power Supply Evga SuperNova 1300 G2
Mouse Evga Torq X3
Keyboard Thermaltake Challenger
Software Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
but the XT45 120mm radiator seems bit odd as the site describes it as "Material internal: Mostly copper ".
The majority of radiators use copper fins and tubes with brass end caps or just copper fins and brass tubes & end caps. Though I believe the XT45's are all copper.

Display(s) ASUS PG32UQ (32" 4K 155Hz) + Samsung G7 27" | Acer Nitro XV273K (4K 144Hz 10bit)
Audio Device(s) Custom HD600 (4.4mm BAL Pentacon, sheepskin pads) + Fiio Q3 | Audio-Technica MSR7b + FiiO Q1 Mk.II
Keyboard Razer Huntsman | Custom w/ thick white PBT keycaps, Kaihl Copper & BOX Black switches
The majority of radiators use copper fins and tubes with brass end caps or just copper fins and brass tubes & end caps. Though I believe the XT45's are all copper.
After further inspection i found out that the 120mm radiator isnt exactly the same as the one on their site. It has only one "hole" with plastic screw-in plug, dimensions and appearence are exactly the same. I couldnt find anything like this anywhere on their site.

If all parts are made from copper then the corrosion cant happen, right?

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
Last edited:
It's hard to tell from the pic as the plate appears to block view of the channels. Here's a pic of an extreme case

https://martinsliquidlab.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/copperaluminumcorrosion.jpeg

On aside note, the owner of Mayhems can tend to be a bit explosive and has agressively commented on the quality of Alphacool post production QC... they have a "Blitz Kit" that is recommended for acid cleaning radiators before use with Mahems products.... my Mayhmes red pastel changed from red to purple to black over time.

Bronze is "mostly copper". The above link is exerpted from martin's article here. So no, it's not all copper but it's perty down close.

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/

So when we talk corrosion, we have three major issues to discuss between CLCs and custom loops:

1. We are looking at a galvanic potential of any bronze parts of 0.35 for the copper block and 0.40 for the copper/ brass radiator which thereby has a galvanic corrosion potential of 0.05. With a CLC and aluminum rad, those numbers are 0.35 and 0.75 which has a a galvanic corrosion potential of 0.40 ... 8 times greater. The higher number acts as the electron donor or 'sacrificial anode" and it corrodes away, the electrons comining with any impurities to form the gunk you see in the channels of the water block.

2. So ya already starting out in a condition that has 8 times the rate of corrosion. On top of that, all systems would (should) have a corrosion inhibitor present in the coolant. These have an effective useful life of 18 - 24 months. Much like today's political scene, this disadvantage, is proclaimed as a "feature" ... "no maintenane required".

The automotive equivalent would be no drain in ya car's oil pan. Crud builds up in the system reducing performance... sometimes so much so that they system explodes from over pressure due to restriction. But the bean counters have calculated that failures during the warranty period won't be that great and the cost of replacing those that fail is part of the purchase price. With a custom loop or an OLC type AIO, you have access to either change out the system with resh coolant or just adding a few drops of inhibitor every 18 monthsor so.

3. The CLCs weak pumps generally about 10% of the flow of a custom loopl or OLC model are a bit better at keeping any settled out particles in suspension.

It's hard to tell from the pic as the plate appears to block view of the channels. Here's a pic of an extreme case

https://martinsliquidlab.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/copperaluminumcorrosion.jpeg

On aside note, the owner of Mayhems can tend to be a bit explosive and has agressively commented on the quality of Alphacool post production QC... they have a "Blitz Kit" that is recommended for acid cleaning radiators before use with Mahems products.... my Mayhmes red pastel changed from red to purple to black over time.

Bronze is "mostly copper". The above link is exerpted from martin's article here. So no, it's not all copper but it's perty down close.

https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/

So when we talk corrosion, we have three major issues to discuss between CLCs and custom loops:

1. We are looking at a galvanic potential of any bronze parts of 0.35 for the copper block and 0.40 for the copper/ brass radiator which thereby has a galvanic corrosion potential of 0.05. With a CLC and aluminum rad, those numbers are 0.35 and 0.75 which has a a galvanic corrosion potential of 0.40 ... 8 times greater. The higher number acts as the electron donor or 'sacrificial anode" and it corrodes away, the electrons comining with any impurities to form the gunk you see in the channels of the water block.

2. So ya already starting out in a condition that has 8 times the rate of corrosion. On top of that, all systems would (should) have a corrosion inhibitor present in the coolant. These have an effective useful life of 18 - 24 months. Much like today's political scene, this disadvantage, is proclaimed as a "feature" ... "no maintenane required".

The automotive equivalent would be no drain in ya car's oil pan. Crud builds up in the system reducing performance... sometimes so much so that they system explodes from over pressure due to restriction. But the bean counters have calculated that failures during the warranty period won't be that great and the cost of replacing those that fail is part of the purchase price. With a custom loop or an OLC type AIO, you have access to either change out the system with resh coolant or just adding a few drops of inhibitor every 18 monthsor so.

3. The CLCs weak pumps generally about 10% of the flow of a custom loopl or OLC model are a bit better at keeping any settled out particles in suspension.

Woah that was a lot of information. I didnt know that alphacool is that bad but yeah the radiators have been flushed 2 times so that should be taken care of, i hope. Isnt the Mayhems X1 corrosion inhibitor? Or are there some special ones needed? If so, which one do you recommend?

Ive read about issues with Mayhem's products but as far as i know its only related to those fancy ones, the X1 was marketed as anti-algea and anti-corrosion, it was also the cheapest one. When i had the loop opened i didnt notice any "gunk" in radiators or the tubes, thats why i was shocked when i saw what was inside the coldplate.
Is there any way of being able to tell that stuff is going bad before it goes as bad as it went with the alphacool waterblock?

Woah that was a lot of information. I didnt know that alphacool is that bad but yeah the radiators have been flushed 2 times so that should be taken care of, i hope. Isnt the Mayhems X1 corrosion inhibitor? Or are there some special ones needed? If so, which one do you recommend?

Ive read about issues with Mayhem's products but as far as i know its only related to those fancy ones, the X1 was marketed as anti-algea and anti-corrosion, it was also the cheapest one. When i had the loop opened I didnt notice any "gunk" in radiators or the tubes, thats why i was shocked when i saw what was inside the coldplate.

Is there any way of being able to tell that stuff is going bad before it goes as bad as it went with the alphacool waterblock?

I didn't say they were... Mayhems did :)

I like Alphacool rads .... screw protectors, 7 connections, great performance. But I do acid treat and flush them before using ... as i would any rad.

You can take the block apart and clean it ... I use a solution of vinegar and hot water, or you could use the Mayhems Blitz Kit. An Aquarium gravel cleaner suction kit makes great flushing device.... close the suction port to use in "fill mode".

https://www.marineandreef.com/Python_Aquarium_Gravel_Vac_python_no_spill_clean_and_fill_s/174.htm

1. Flush rads with tap water in kitchen sink or tub.... 2 minutes hot / 2 minutes cold / 2 minutes hot
2. Fill with vinegar water solution, let sit 2 hours. (or use Blitz Kit as per instructions)
3. Repeat Step 1.

For the water block....

1. Disassemble and wipe clean with towelette to remove grease on O-rings and points of contact.
2. Disassemble and place parts in bowl with vinegar solution for 2 hours.
3. If any remaining crud, dip toothbrush in solution and scrub clean.
4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 with new solution, till satisfied ... usually won't be needed to repeat and 10 minutes should suffice.
5. Give them a water bath in distilled water....
6. Let dry, lubricate O-Rings with a food grade silicone grease such as Trident LP20 and reassemble.

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/how-to-clean-water-blocks/

If desired you can also flush an entire system using that fish tank thingie before doing any of the above... . Without connecting to faucet as yet, I connect the end to the top radiator and fill the aquarium tool tube to avoid air pockets before connecting to faucet. I then connect a 2nd tube I made from the same tubing with a QD fitting which connects to a QD drain port on the bottom rad. I start the faucet slow flow rate and then the pump with a small 12v power supply w/o stating up puter.

After disassembling and blocks and treating / cleaning rads ....

1. Fill the system with DW and run for an hour using 12v power supply so system remains off
2. Repeat step 1
3. Fill with coolant
4. Bleed system thru reservoir top port leaving small air gap at top (1") to observe any changes in water level.
5. To the tilty thing to shake loose any trapped air bubbles.
6. I use a fill tube attached to the top port on the top rad with a 40mm brass riser which extends rad port to just below top case grille, then 12" acylic tube riser, valve and funnel.
7. With say 6" of water in the 1/4" riser tube, will let it run 24 hours after which level in tube will drop. Fill as necessary to make sure water level can be seen in tube.
8. Once satisfied that no air remains in system, will crack the valve on the resrrvoir top just a hair so that remaining coolant in riser tube gradually drops then close reservoir valve so that fill tube is empty and water level is just below the top of the 400mm brass riser. Shut down and remove the acrylic riser and cap the brass riser. At this point will be visible 15 - 35mm air gap in 250mm reservoir which can be monitored with a glance over time. Air will continue to 'outgas' from th coolant in small amounts over time. This will get trapped in the 40mm riser9s) on top of the rad and the void replaced by the coolant which was occupying that space. You can check it every 6 months or so and 'top off' witha squeeze bottle .