• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Facebook is watching you...download your data file.

D

Deleted member 178884

I wouldn't call them fools.. people are just tempted by connecting with old friends and family. It's a temptation, especially when they see others do it. And facebook has this innocuous image about it.. very drab and not in your face.. like an old telephone company (that, of course, just means it's all the more insidious).
Fools being the people who whine about data being sold.

I wouldn't call them fools.. people are just tempted by connecting with old friends and family. And facebook has this innocuous image about it.. very drab and not in your face.. like an old telephone company (that, of course, just means it's all the more insidious).
If your connecting with friends and family this is of no importance, If it were you would've changed to something else.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Fools being the people who whine about data being sold.

They've been misled.. it's not entirely their fault.

People are told facebook is a "social networking" company (whatever that is). Just like they're told that Google is a technology/Search engine company.

But a company is defined by their main product... which these two didn't want to outright tell anyone.

D

Deleted member 178884

They've been misled.. it's not entirely their fault.

People are told facebook is a "social networking" company (whatever that is). Just like they're told that Google is a technology/Search engine company.

But a company is defined by their main product... which these two didn't want to outright tell anyone.
Correct - But it's their fault for agreeing to the terms, facebook has done it for years why whine now? Talk about being slow.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Correct - But it's their fault for agreeing to the terms, facebook has done it for years why whine now? Talk about being slow.

Fair enough. That's everyone else's responsibility.

BTW..

"If if it were, you"

I don't know if you mean "you" in general, or me specifically. I'll tell you though that I only had a facebook account briefly 10 years ago. Not for me.. and just an all around uncomfortable experience. I'm not trying to defend myself here when you said the word "fool". :)

But then again, who isn't. MS didn't charge for Win10 cause the tracking data is woirth way more ... Google / Yahoo ... and most news sites wnat you to accept coookies and ads or you can't view. Your usage is tracked, taking hard note of what you clicked on so they can feed you more of the same.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
But then again, who isn't. MS didn't charge for Win10 cause the tracking data is woirth way more ... Google / Yahoo ... and most news sites wnat you to accept coookies and ads or you can't view. Your usage is tracked, taking hard note of what you clicked on so they can feed you more of the same.

They do charge. That was only a brief deal, to move people away from Windows 8. But I just paid for a Pro retail license..and paid once for a Home as well awhile back.

They're more a tech company than the likes of Facebook.. or even Google. Google's main goal is advertising, and not just some side-scheme. And even their most used tech product is some hand-me-down Linux that's "just good enough", meant to snuff out competition (i.e. Windows phone). Yet Google themselves know it's crap and are already preparing Fuschia to take over. It shows that even they don't take their own product very seriously. It served it's purpose already.

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I would leave facebook but am hooked onto the sales and interest groups. really not interested so much in the share everything of your life with your friends and mark zuckerberg thing.

The reason why Windows 10 and onwards is so heavy on telemetry is because MS fired most of the QA team and are now relying on telemetry to d their job. People call it spying, but really it's just heavy telemetry so they spot things QA people would otherwise.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Saying "Facebook is watching you / Facebook is spying you" is a pleonasm.

Well, I learned a new word today. :)

I have to wonder though. Did Zuckerberg have this in mind to begin with or or was he being a creep even without getting paid?

I have to wonder though. Did Zuckerberg have this in mind to begin with or or was he being a creep even without getting paid?

I was about to write something about jews that like to make everything profitable but I guess it's just how capitalism works.

Glad to have make you learnt it! :p I still have ptsd from highschool.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Im getting closer and closer to using a vpn full time.

I rock my VPN 24.7 and don't use any social media besides these forums. I also reformat every 3 months with random hardware addresses. I also run ublock origin with all items checked 24.7, including leak prevention checked and blocking CSP reports. Zuckerberg got nothing on me bruh

Zuckerberg was just a horndog who couldn't get laid in college because lack of social skills, and so attempted a hot or not type site that has blossomed into what it now is.