• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fan RPM splitter cable needed

Pinksteady

Hi all,

I am looking for a RPM splitter cable that will allow one fan RPM lead to be split into 2, so that one can go into the motherboard fan connector, and the other into my additional fan controller (Thermaltake Hardcano 13), that sits in a CD-drive bay.

This is because currently the fan on my CPU (Arctic Cooling Freezer64) is plugged into the fan controller, and therefore every time my PC boots, I get a CPU fan error because the motherboard thinks the fan isn't working/plugged in. I need to be able to plug the fan into both, just to shut the motherboard up and allow the fan controller to continue to do its job.

I have looked on a lot of sites and still can't find this lead. There are many which are similar, but not exactly as I specified. I am sure lots of people must have had this problem too, can anyone help me find where to buy some of these leads?

Cheers all

Anarion

Processor amd HAMMER SERIES 62% oc
Motherboard epox 8NPAJ
Cooling Active, Noisy , air
Memory gSKILL 2gb
Video Card(s) 2900 xt 1g
Storage diamondmax+
Display(s) 215TW HDCP 95%+! color accuracy
Case aluminium sHOW CASE BP
Audio Device(s) Behringer dj pro hpx4000
Power Supply acBel Ai iS
Software xp pro sp2
owm , is it owm joke or somtin, use yellow wire! for pin 3! ...

Pinksteady

no it's not a 'owm' joke, whatever that is, and your solution wasn't very clear!

The yellow wire is in use, and I need, effectively, another yellow wire. So that would mean a splitter which on one end you plug the yellow wire, and splits into 2 yellow wires.

System Name Onus
Processor E8500 @ 3.95ghz ~1.25v
Motherboard ASUS P5E Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Orochi cpu, 5x 120mm Zalman red LED case fans, stock GPU coolers
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G.Skill PC8000 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) 2x ASUS 3870x2s
Storage 4x160gb RAID 0 Main, 2x 500gb RAID 0 media storage.
Display(s) LG W2600H
Case Lian Li PC-A70B, painted black and other modded aspects :)
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker. Klipsch RF-3II fronts, Yamaha NS-A222 rears, Klipsch RC-3II center, Klipsch SUB12
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, lots of games, photoshop n stuff.
Your bios may be different than mine but I know in mine atleast you are able to turn that alarm off. Check about that first.

If that is not an option, take the 3 pin connection off some old useless fan. Cut the power cables completely off of the plug, but leave a good ammount of the yellow wire remaining and extend it if necessary. Then splice that into the RPM sensing wire of your Silencer's RPM wire.

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
You can also buy a 3pin header plug like that from any electronics store. Just splice the yellow wire onto the new connector's wire corresponding to the yellow RPM wire. Tada! You have a dual RPM sensing machine! ;)

Pinksteady

Have switched off all motherboard sensing options, still does it.

Other alternative would be to find a space for a spare fan and plug that into the CPU connector. Hang it off the side panel or something!

Can someone go into a little more detail on how to 'splice' the wire, I've never done that sort of stuff, but I'm going to go and get a soldering iron and a few bits and bobs, and start experimenting, I've got a few fans lying around.

intel igent

System Name old school / new school
Processor 3.0e C0 @ 3.6 / e5200
Motherboard p4p800e-dlx / p5q-DLX
Cooling custom water see sig / air
Memory 2x1g oczPC4000EbPl / 2x2g ocz2rpr1066
Video Card(s) 3850AGP / 4890vaporX
Storage 36g raptor+120g wd / wd 1001fals 1tb
Display(s) BenQ / sharpAQUOS LC-37D64U
Case modded antec plusview / generic
Audio Device(s) audigy 2zs / ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3
Power Supply fan/cable modded powerstream 520 / OCZ 700mxsp
Software Xp pro SP2 / VISTA ultimate OEM
you should have some splitters/connectors in the box that your hardcano13 came in? i know in the box with my hardcano12 i got all kinds of splitters/connectors

Pinksteady

I'm such a muppet, there was an option in the BIOS to turn it off. I checked so many times before and it didn't look like an option that could be changed, just said CPU fan N/A as some text, didnt look like a switchable option!!

Sorry for wasting your time guys (although wiring and splitting yada yada is interesting to me!) and thanks for the help