• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Benchmarks, CPU-Z Screenshots of AMD Ryzen Threadripper 32-core CPU Surface

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
4GHz on all 32 cores is very impressive. Yet the 250W TDP is also something that will require exotic cooling methods which average users can't afford.
Average user doesnt know about Threadripper, let alone buys it or worry about cooling. People who buy stuff like this know what they are getting themselves into.

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX
Dead on, if we as consumers start losing single threaded performance in exchange for cores we all lose, just look at the xeon phi 64 core (not as a future hedt cpu but as an anology for what the car war could turn into). No one wins when single core starts going down as most apps would take 8 cores with higher clocks/ipc than having a 28 cores (intel) that are mission impossible to power at high speeds, if intel/amd made a new uArch for high core count that has immensely more ipc then having lots of cores is actually doable because you wont have to aim for high overclocks which makes heat output and power usage go exponentially higher (intel again)

Again this CPU is in no way aimed at gamers or mainstream consumers; its a EPYC-cpu released for HEDT at a premiumprice (at least compared to 8700K/2700X prices.) Im pretty sure AMD understand that IPC is key in games, thats also why the ryzen 2 is said to improve on not cores but IPC :) (and properbly clock since the fab is 7nm)

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Last edited:
Well is quite nice, but is only cinebench, real world performace is a other story, clock speed is to low.

Hate this Core War,16 cores is the perfect sweetspot, give us 10-16 Cores @ 4.8Ghz out of the box instead.

Working on "3D benchmarking" is understandable, but calling that "real world performance" for this cpu is ridiculous. I'm definitely getting this cpu and for my uses of development and rendering (which I guess is well among its intended uses), Cinebench IS (well, very close to in many cases) real world performance. It is also much more power efficient than 16*4.8GHz.

mumar1

My hobby is overclock and benchmarking, BUT i dont Want to go minus C, i like to stay over The ambait temps, I have played with LN2, but The other is more Fun to see What you Can Do with normal “water” cooling. Im just saying, i wish We could Get cpus that are higher clocks. Not that it would happen right now, maybe with amd 7 nm, or intel next gen, We Can only wait and see :)
Then you will like this water cooler, water direct on the IHS of the CPU

Attachments

• waterdirect1.jpg
    waterdirect1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 355
  • waterdirect2.jpg
    waterdirect2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 261
Guys, developer here. We are approaching an inflexion point where many core programming and hardware becomes the new rule. When you need 3+ Ghz today it means either the software is not properly multithreaded or the task itself is not suited for paralleling. Well you have to admit that today everything can be multithreaded, even rendering a webpage. But still, developers need new tools new softwares and frankly speaking multithreading is f. hard even for senior developers in financial IT.

Go for a quad core @4,5Ghz or a 32cores@ 2Ghz. Really 32 cores @4ghz is non sense for me, just an elegant way to produce heat. Now you say gaming, alright but which game do support more than 6or 8 cores ? And even it was, linux or windows are not designed for many cores. Both AMD and Intrl try to put a lot of core but really software needs to keep up with this.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Guys, developer here. We are approaching an inflexion point where many core programming and hardware becomes the new rule. When you need 3+ Ghz today it means either the software is not properly multithreaded or the task itself is not suited for paralleling. Well you have to admit that today everything can be multithreaded, even rendering a webpage. But still, developers need new tools new softwares and frankly speaking multithreading is f. hard even for senior developers in financial IT.

Go for a quad core @4,5Ghz or a 32cores@ 2Ghz. Really 32 cores @4ghz is non sense for me, just an elegant way to produce heat. Now you say gaming, alright but which game do support more than 6or 8 cores ? And even it was, linux or windows are not designed for many cores. Both AMD and Intrl try to put a lot of core but really software needs to keep up with this.

It's for rendering. Content creators are going to buy this instantly if they have a brain. Time spent waiting on effects and encoding have just shrank, again. And if they only want one rig to work on then they can do multiple jobs at once and each one is still faster than on their currently used, overpriced, Intel hedt.

I could put such baby's to work on hosting scale for example. Rent our pure AMD powered VPS servers with scalable cores for users.

Linus Tech tips did a build with 4 or 5 water cooled Nano's just to have 5 different workstations all hooked onto one mother machine.

Those who really need the computing power can put such baby's to work. There is market for it. And no, consumers dont need a 32 cores / 64 threads CPU. It would be idle for 9/10th of it's life.

But this is a cheaper approach to a system with multiple chips in it. Remember that some licences need to be paid for per psysical processor and not core count.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Then you will like this water cooler, water direct on the IHS of the CPU
Nah, stupid idea.
Even using a sealed unit increases risk, the oops factor with that unit = $$$$$

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
Nah, stupid idea.
Even using a sealed unit increases risk, the oops factor with that unit = $$$$$

It looks like a spin-on oil filter for a car engine.
Those don't leak if properly installed, but I wouldn't consider it for my multi-thousand dollar rig either.
As a matter of fact, I wouldn't use it on any PC in my house.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
What are you so angry over? I just Want less cores with more clock speed. But fair, you gave me a laugh. Im not a intel fan, but your clearly a amd fan boy wich you Cant have a Real talk with.

Idd it is, i just thing this have go to far, they are only putting more cores In there cpus to fight, instead of incresse clock speed.
(been busy, late getting back to this)

I no fan boy for either side, I own what I own good or bad. I asked you legit questions and you blew them off and have the nerve to accuse me of being angry? LOL I admit I was trying to be sarcastic but someone left this brick out and I tripped over it in a time of need.

You are right about one thing, Software developers need to step their game and learn to do more multi-thread programming. There are a few games that do some multi-core, not a lot. Game Developers are not trained well enough to do that kind of performance work, most prolly never went to school and just did internships to learn.

well,we all know amd.

intels 24.core beat TR2 32.core for sure. and intel have much mower TDP.

..also where you need more than 6-core gpu?? its waiste of money,heat and power.
...also #2, you need for must with that watercool,and its out of this days.

rendering,cinbench and so you must use intels cpu,they are much powerfull,and support much higher mes and lower timing.

all 3dmarks done intels cpus, not seen there amd cpus...few only,bu not top 25.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
well,we all know amd.

intels 24.core beat TR2 32.core for sure. and intel have much mower TDP.

..also where you need more than 6-core gpu?? its waiste of money,heat and power.
...also #2, you need for must with that watercool,and its out of this days.

rendering,cinbench and so you must use intels cpu,they are much powerfull,and support much higher mes and lower timing.

all 3dmarks done intels cpus, not seen there amd cpus...few only,bu not top 25.
You remind me of one dude from Finnish IT forums, who just had to diss AMD with more or less shitty arguments. When AMD finally has hardware which isn't crap instatly when it was released (like the FX CPU series), still some people just need to complain about something with more or less trolling. And what's a bad thing about watercooling? I myself just started moving into the world of custom watercooling (some modifying with my Alphacool Eisbaer).

edit: I'm pretty sure that you're exactly that dude, since that avatar of yours seems too familiar. It's hard to understand what you're saying, doesn't matter is the text in Finnish or English.

/ot

Last edited:
Processor Core i5 3470 (3.20 GHZ)
Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5670
Storage Seagate - 500GB | 7200RPM | 32MB Cache | Sata-3G
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply Corsair 600w
I can totally use this. May be a good time to start my small business of personal genome sequencing and analysis.

This 10c20t is totally maxed out. Time to go big

View attachment 102651

*Rubbing my eyes* Am I seeing things or do you really have 128 GB of RAM...

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P

Nkd

Well is quite nice, but is only cinebench, real world performace is a other story, clock speed is to low.

Hate this Core War,16 cores is the perfect sweetspot, give us 10-16 Cores @ 4.8Ghz out of the box instead.

What you need to understand is this isn't just for gamers. This is more for people that need more cores, such as content creation etc. So slow clock speed is only relative to what you are using it for. For the purpose i stated its plenty and its a beast and hits home run where it matters. Wait for 7nm and you will likely get your wish of 16 cores at 4.5ghz+ with an OC.

System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard MSI X370 Pro Carbon
Cooling Air
Memory G-skill Flare x 16GB 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Storage Intel 600p NVMe 512GB for OS , 1TB WD Black and a 4TB Toshiba
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Logitech G403 wired
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
4GHz on all 32 cores is very impressive. Yet the 250W TDP is also something that will require exotic cooling methods which average users can't afford.

My guess is , if one can afford this cpu they can surely afford a cooler for it.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
250W TDP is for the stock 3.0 or 3.4 GHz. That thing running at 4.0 or 4.12 GHz is somewhere in the (usable) OC Intel range of power consumption :)

Edit:
For some theorycrafting, Zen's power consumption is a known figure and so far it has scaled linearly with the amount of cores for Threadrippers. GamersNexus has a table/graph for the R7 2700X (alongside the slightly less efficient R7 1700): https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3290-exponential-ryzen-voltage-frequency-curve
Both from my own experience as well as results in reviews and forum threads, it's accurate enough.
4 such dies in the 32-core threadripper will use 4x as much power.
4.0 GHz: 10.5 A@12 V - 126 W *4 = 504 W
4.1 GHz: 12.9 A@12 V - 154,8 W *4 = 619,2 W
Definitely not precise and will have variance for each CPU but should be close enough for the range.

Last edited:
Well is quite nice, but is only cinebench, real world performance is a other story, clock speed is to low.
Hate this Core War,16 cores is the perfect sweet-spot, give us 10-16 Cores @ 4.8Ghz out of the box instead.
That depends on your usage model. While some might do a bit of gaming on this CPU, such an activity will not be the primary focus and use for a CPU like this. And for the record, I'll take 32 core at 4ghz over a 16 core at 4.8ghz any day. While price is a thing, if the need for that much CPU power is there...

What you need to understand is this isn't just for gamers.
It isn't at all for gamers. No games need 32 core. Most game barely even need 4 cores. This is number crunching CPU and while can run games, easily, that is not the purpose of this CPU.

Average user doesnt know about Threadripper, let alone buys it or worry about cooling. People who buy stuff like this know what they are getting themselves into.
Exactly correct. Even elitists are going to look at this CPU and drool, then get something else. I could be wrong on that though, especially if AMD releases it for an affordable price.