• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

First SSD

System Name Small ATX Desktop
Processor Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5 GHz /1.25 volt
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H with Beta Bios F20e
Cooling PHTC12DX CPU + MK-13 VGA, 1xDelta EFB1212VH, 2xYate Loon 140 PWM, 2xCorsair 120 PWM
Memory Samsung 30nm Green MV3V4G3D DDR3 16 GB (4x4GB) @ 1800 MHz CL9 1.35 volt
Video Card(s) PNY Geforce GTX 770 XLR8 2GB @ Core 1254 MHz / Ram 1800 MHz
Storage Seagate 600 240GB SSD (Boot) + 2xWD Caviar Blue WD10EZEX 1TB Data
Display(s) Asus PB258Q 2560x1440 + Asus VH242H 1920x1080
Case Lian Li PC A05 (Inverted Mobo)
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATH M50X, Antlion Mod Mic 4, SYBA SD-CM-UAUD USB Audio Dongle
Power Supply Seasonic SS-660XP2 660 Watt Platinum
Mouse Zowie EC2A, Corsair MM600, inateck 900mm x 300mm Mat
Keyboard Filco Majestouch II Ninja TKL and Goldtouch GTC 0033 Ten Key (Cherry Browns)
Software Win7 64 Pro
Benchmark Scores Wprime 32 5.758 http://www.wprime.net/Scores/19988/View
Thanks, $15 is Nice.

I hope Amazon will honor the price or cancel the order tho, because chargeback (here in the EU) sometimes takes weeks if not months, and I just ordered three of these :>
You might not want to tell anyone else about this, or maybe just delete the post in this thread because amazon frequently will cancel orders when its widely abused.

You might not want to tell anyone else about this, or maybe just delete the post in this thread because amazon frequently will cancel orders when its widely abused.
Nah, it's already one of the top selling computer hardware on Amazon, so it would be too late by now, (and I love to share with my fellow enthusiasts anyway :p).

edit: I just talked to Amazon, and they are going to physically inspect the item in their stock and will mail back to me on this one, but the support representative assured me that it a legit and genuine Samsung 250GB SSD for sure.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 950 @ 3.2GHz
Motherboard ASUS P6X58D-E
Cooling Corsair H50 push/pull
Memory Kingston HyperX 1600 8GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7970 OC
Storage Plextor M5P 128GB/WD Black 2x1TB,1x6TB/Seagate 1TB
Display(s) Panasonic TC-L32U3
Case Antec DF-85
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371 AVR
Power Supply XFX 850w Black Edition
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Good points. However, I have not heard of recent advances in Sandforce being unreliable.
And you're not likely going to hear it from review sites that merely test short term. No matter how much you stress test an SSD, you can't really get an idea of how well it will hold up like you can torture testing a PSU. What you linked to are overall performance charts, not specifically reliability charts based on 1yr + use.

I basically look at review sites for performance and design (because the better ones tear them apart, detail all the hardware and software features, and have the means to test thoroughly), and customer feedback from those whom have owned and used them quite a bit for reliability. Between the two you get a good idea of what features they have to keep them running reasonably fast and trouble free, and whether those features work in real world performance and reliability over time. Those charts aren't going to tell you the latter.

I've come to find the uber fast SSD drives are a bit of a gamble on longevity. On something like a drive that is going to run the OS and store regularly used programs, I feel reliability is every bit as important as speed. So I feel it's best to look for a balance of the two.

Last edited:
And you're not likely going to hear it from review sites that merely test short term. No matter how much you stress test an SSD, you can't really get an idea of how well it will hold up like you can torture testing a PSU. What you linked to are overall performance charts, not specifically reliability charts based on 1yr + use.

I basically look at review sites for performance and design (because the better ones tear them apart, detail all the hardware and software features, and have the means to test thoroughly), and customer feedback from those whom have owned and used them quite a bit for reliability. Between the two you get a good idea of what features they have to keep them running reasonably fast and trouble free, and whether those features work in real world performance and reliability over time. Those charts aren't going to tell you the latter.

I've come to find the uber fast SSD drives are a bit of a gamble on longevity. On something like a drive that is going to run the OS and store regularly used programs, I feel reliability is every bit as important as speed. So I feel it's best to look for a balance of the two.
The v300 series are good to go.

Kingston is known for their compatibility and XMP profile testing in system RAM, beyond that I don't think they're really doing anything miraculous regarding SSDs. SandForce controllers may have gotten better since the high failure rate days, but they still don't seem to be as reliable as other controllers built specifically FOR reliability. SF is still used with the impress with the initial speed spec marketing angle, but even the new ones can and have failed within a year or less.
Nowadays, the sandforce's reliability is un-questionable & I can see many happy users associated with this. According to me, the performance has never dropped except for few rare cases which could have been influenced by other non-sandforce parameters. The good news is the wrong perception which was pervalent earlier on is gradually fading out!

Case Antec DF-85
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Sorry, I go by testimonials from customers that have owned them a while, and across the board I see more complaints about the SF drives than others, even with the latter gens of the controller. Nothing that's been posted here proves any long term reliability or performance consistency in them whatsoever.

OP, just saw the Plextor M5P 128GB on Newegg's email promo deal for $100 btw. I have that drive and it's very good, and you'll see the same feedback from pretty much every customer and site that reviews it.

That's because controller wise, SF sold more drives. It only makes sense that you will hear about more issues from SF because more are floating around.

Just try to get one with 25nm IMFT or 19nm Toshiba / SanDisk flash. You don't really want a 20nm flash drive.

Case Antec DF-85
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
That's because controller wise, SF sold more drives. It only makes sense that you will hear about more issues from SF because more are floating around.
I'm not talking more in general, I'm taking more complaints per number of people reviewing them. For something as critical as an OS drive, I see no sense in taking any unnecessary chances, and the Plextor drives just don't exhibit that level of complaints.

You guys buy whatever you want, but for now I'll steer clear of anything SF.