• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

flashing x800 pro vivo to x800 xt

pythagoras

I have a sapphire technology limited radeon x800 pro 256MB VIVO card PCI-E (part number N82E16814102465). I have read in the articles on this site and on the forums that it can be flashed with an XT bios to open up 4 more pipelines. I got this card specifically because the reviewers on newegg said they had successfully flashed their cards. But when I tried to flash mine it didn't work.

First I used atiflash and flashed the modified ATI x800pro 256MB vivo 16pipeline PCI-E bios that Samsung wrote. I got the bios from tech power up's bios collection. The card worked, but the catalyst drivers didn't recognize it as a 3D card. I got errors saying it was not the correct card for the drivers. Also, atitool said is was still 12 pipelines.

Then I tried to flash an X800 XT 256MB PCI-E bios from the bios collection on tech power up. This time the card did not function properly. It would not put a picture on the screen, even at boot up. Luckily the computer booted up anyway and I was able to type in the command to flash back to my original bios even though I couldn't see what I was doing. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I think part of the problem may be that you're supposed to do this with cards that have the R420 chip. Atitool says my card has the R423 chip. The reviewers on newegg might have been mistaken. Thanks.

All the storys for flashing of PRO VIVO's to XT are valid for AGP but not for PCIX. The only way for success is Sapphire GTO2 or the new PwerColor GTO16 with R480 and unlocked 16 pipes.