• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FPS in Oblivion/Oblivion Tweaking (w/ Optimized Oblivion File from Ketxxx! Pg. 20)

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
thanks, there's hope for me yet!
my 1950pro and dual core pD at 3.6 disappoints me... my framerates are horrible!
tell me, what optimizations do you use?

Well, I sure can help you with that, There are lots of optimizations made by many TPU members on this very thread, try reading it from the beginning of the thread to get some nice tweaking ideas.

Here are some tweaks I posted here before:

Ok, here are the tweaks needed for ppl with Dual Core/HT Procs, remember, these are only for ppl with those kind of systems, and will cause instability on non-HT/single core systems:

bUseThreadedBlood=1
bUseThreadedMorpher=1
bUseThreadedTempEffects=1
bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1
bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
iNumHavokThreads=5
iThreads=9
iOpenMPLevel=10

Look for these strings in your .ini file and use the values I quote here. As always, remember to make a backup of your original .ini file before making any changes

Here are some tweaks for ppl with more than 1GB of RAM, these may help reduce stuttering while playing in these systems, ppl with 1 GB of RAM should stick to Ketxx original tweaked .ini file:

uInterior Cell Buffer=
uExterior Cell Buffer=

Systems with 2GBs of RAM should have these set at 16 and 102 respectively, ppl with 1GB of RAM should have these set at 6 and 72 respectively, ppl with more than 2GBs of RAM may try even higher settings than the ones I quote.

iPreloadSizeLimit=

Ppl with 2 GBs of RAM should have this value set at 104857600, and the max recommended value should be 262144000, once again, the recommended setting for ppl with 1GB of RAM is 52428800.

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=

This setting must be changed if you apply any of the previous memory tweaks I mentioned for them to work correctly, you must change its value to 0 if you use any of the tweaks above, otherwise, Oblivion wont take advantage of any of those tweaks.

bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=

This will unload all unnecessary data from memory when you use fast travel, set it to 1 to reduce stuttering after fast traveling

Thanks to Koroush Ghazi for providing these tweaks in his great Oblivion Tweak Guide

Remember to backup your .ini file before changing any settings

Try these tweaks:

iShadowMapResolution=

Should be 1024, try to lower to 256 or even 128

fSpecualrStartMax=

Lower it from its original value to get some extra FPS in outdoor areas

bAllowPartialPrecision=

Enable it by setting it to 1, will provide some more FPS, but at the expense of a neglegible loss in IQ.

uGridDistantTreeRange=
uGridDistantCount=

You may experiment decreasing these values, may help in forest areas, find a setting with the right balance of IQ and performance for your system in particular.

iMinGrassSize=

As I mentioned before, setting this to 120 0r even 150 will greatly increase the FPS in outdoor areas, at the expense of having less grass on scren, look for the low poly grass mod I posted in the first pages of this thread for even more performance gains with no loss of IQ.

iTreeClonesAllowed=

Increase its value to a higher number to get more FPS and less stuttering in outdoor areas.

iCanopyShadowScale=

Use 128 or 64 for more FPS but at the cost of reduced IQ in forest areas.

Hope this helps :)

But above all, remember reading this whole thread, I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful tips by many TPU members, and you can make Oblivion run like a dream (well... almost :p)

DaMulta: A new card is a great present for father's day, I wish once I have kids they give their old man something that nice, a quad processor wouldn't be such a bad present either ;)

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
DaMulta: A new card is a great present for father's day, I wish once I have kids they give their old man something that nice, a quad processor wouldn't be such a bad present either ;)

i think he means card as in hallmark, lol:roll:

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
i think he means card as in hallmark, lol:roll:

Darn! Well, that's a nice present too, that's what I gave to my dad back in the day as well :p

Sorry about the confusion :p Du'h :banghead:

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
I bougth my dad the Naked Gun DVD collection :p still hasn't arrived though (thanks alot Play.com and Royal Mail, you RUINED CHRISTMAS!... Urm... father's day)

Going to try those dual-core and 2GB RAM tweaks, hadn't seen them before, this thread is huge, and even with 50 posts per page, it takes ages to read, even when just skimming

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
Wow, thanks Warlock! I had to reinstall Oblivion (a while ago), and you summarized most of the tweaks on the last page. Thanks!

archmage

hi all,
frame rate issues? ok so don.t laugh at me! running pent 4 dual 2.6mhz agp nvidia 6800 xt with 1 mb ddr2.
frame rate is average 40 though i have got to 70 in dungeons but heres the but. . . i love magic, and when i get in a mage fight and theres lots of spells flying around my frame rate drops to . . 5 -(ok i said dont laugh). turned off all lighting effects and frame rate in magic battle is a pretty constant 12!!!!! ok so i've got to upgrade- but what? i LOVE the game but just wish it both played good and looked superb at the same time- or is that being greedy?
. . . . . . . . hungry for battle !

BTK

i max oblivion 1280x1204 hdr

a64 4000+ @ 3 GHz

7900gs @ 610/1,740

25-30 fps outside

40-60 cities

60-150 inside

i like hdr>aa

aa gets a few more fps than hdr

Necrofire

System Name Chuck
Processor Core i5-2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard msi P67A-C43
Cooling hyper 212, 2 120mm fans
Memory 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX 6870
Storage 60GB sata3 sandforce ssd, 1TB samsung hdd
Display(s) Yamakazi Catleap
Case Possibly Antec, not sure
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 600W
I just started playing this game after a VERY long break. I thought I would contribute a screenshot...

BTW, I get about the same as BTK @ 1680 x 1050 with grass on and everything up except AA. I keep grass off and shadows to a minimum, because 25fps is unplayable to me.