1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[FUD] Fermi 512 shaders & Fermi cancelled

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by qubit, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    [*NON* FUD] Fermi 512 shaders & Fermi cancelled

Fudzilla

I'll be very interested in this card when it comes out. Assuming it performs well and is worth buying, I'll have to figure out a way to afford it. :laugh:

Fudzilla

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, just bring it on nvdia, I want HD 5850 cheap

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    with a die shrink, i'd be surprised if they DIDNT release a 512 shader card

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes quite, Mussels.

I always had the impression that the Fermi GPU was just that little bit beyond what the 40nm technology it's built on could deliver. Of course, it's not a hard limit, so the kind of performance problems and design compromises we've seen here just get worse as you push it further into the red.

And while nvidia go about implementing it in a smaller technology, why not optimise the architecture further? Hence, "Fermi v1.1" reported by Fudzilla.

I'm gonna bet that this new version is gonna storm the graphics card world like the 8800 GTX did! There goes Qubit's reputation. :laugh:

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  6. qubit

Thanks Received:
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    What is it with fudzilla and semi accurate with the extremely dodgy news updates:confused:

8. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I still can't trust fudzilla just the name of it makes me ignore then FUD(fear, uncertainty, doubt)zilla.

9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    The name is just a sarcastic joke about FUD in the industry. This shouldn't be the thing to put you off them. Same thing with Semi Accurate.

Anyway, it's the graphics card news here that's important. :)

10. erocker

Thanks Received:
    FUD stands for Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. Fudzilla knows they are dodgy. It's a kind of half rumor half news site. Take it as that and it's somewhat entertaining for hardware enthusiast geeks.

Lionheart says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Are we still not expecting die shrinks until next year or have they miraculously fixed the manufacturing problems early?

12. F1reFly

F1reFly New Member

Thanks Received:
    Engadget once stated, talking about how they deal with info, is that they have to trust those who are telling them these stories, they sort through their stories and weigh in what they think is true or not. some sites will just go with it to get the news which grabs readers which grabs advertisment revenue, but theres rarely ever a way to be sure if any given story like this is true or not.
    its a catch22 business, get the news to get the readers and risk being labled an untrustworthy site or get reliable news sources and risk not having the latest breaking news and leaks and having no readers therefore less advertisers want to pay them.

Lionheart says thanks.
  13. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    Well its the way the news reports are worded in the OP links it said no 512 GF100 will be produced. In the next link posted by erock it states that the 512 Fermi will be on the GF104 core. Theres no contradictions its just worded very funny.

14. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, tbh i really don't trust fudzilla but somehow my inner geek, always tell me to read it, maybe its some kind of geek instinct to look every possible rumor about new hardware lol

15. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    same here. The good thing about fudzilla is that you know that the true specs are going to be there... somewhere, lost in a miriad of wrong info. In the 3 months since they started talking until the card is released next month, they'd have said every posibility already: 256 SPs, 384SPs, 336SPs... :laugh: they can't go wrong since they claimed it all! Brilliant!

FACT: Fudzilla is the first tech site I read everyday, second I open TPU for some serious news. :roll:

16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I don't see why people have it in for Fudzilla. :confused:

News of upcoming products always starts off as rumours. They report this, so you get the info sooner and they tell you that it's rumour. When some hard facts come in, they report this too and also tell you.

This makes Fudzilla quite a compelling source of news.

17. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Its the tabloid of the tech world :D

Lionheart and yogurt_21 say thanks.
  18. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Ok, whoever was the bright spark who put [FUD] in my thread title please take it out. The thread title was fine as it was. :rolleyes: I'd appreciate some notice first and this addition just puts a negative slant on it, reflecting the bias of whichever naughty mod is guilty of this.

Incidentally, Fudzilla isn't the only site to report this news.

I'll bet erocker is the guilty one... lol :laugh:

19. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ha, I thought it was confirmed false from the title lol.

20. erocker

Thanks Received:
    It wasn't a moderator. The person who did it has every right to do so. I also agree with them, FUD is FUD and the title is misleading and false.

Personally I don't understand why people post stories from places like Fudzilla. Most of us know who they are and what they do, but we choose to come to TPU for our news and don't need or want Fudzilla here. Oh, Fudzilla has a comments section now too.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
    10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Athlon2K15

Athlon2K15 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    +1 i think all fudzilla "articles" should be labeled this way..that way we know its bullshit

[Ion] says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  22. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Just seen your post, erocker.

Ya know how you come across? As somone with a chip on their shoulder about a competing website. :shadedshu

- Changing my thread title like that was pretty and rude and doesn't show TPU in a good light
    - Having a mod then justify this in public, because himself or this mystery "non-mod" doesn't like it, makes TPU look that little bit worse

So who's this mystery non-mod then? Can only by W1zzard, right?

Fudzilla is a tech news site. As well as mainstream "verified" news, they also post "early" news, which by its very nature is rumour and will be inaccurate to various degrees. They then flag it as such and there's nothing wrong with this. These stories are interesting to me, so I like to share them with the tech community I like hang out with the most ie this one.

How about instead of slagging off the competition, TPU also brings us this early news and makes their website more interesting to read? We all benefit, then.

Just because you or others with mod powers here are biased against a particular website, doesn't give TPU staff the right to abuse your mod powers and skank someone's thread, like has been done here. It's kinda easy when I can't change the thread title back, init? :rolleyes:

In the end, all I want to do is post threads to share stuff I find interesting and not have to deal with crap like this. Thanks.

23. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Right.

So I can't share an opinion either. You must have quite a chip on your shoulder.. especially to revive a thread like this.

10 Year Member at TPU