• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Future Microsoft Office Versions Look to be Subscription Only

System Name Eric's Battlestation
Processor Core i7 6700k
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Mech 6750 XT
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Intel 660p 2TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Power Supply EVGA G2-XR 80 Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home
It's always been a subscription, even if you only had to pay for it once every 5 or 10 years. I don't think this is a big deal either way. There are plenty of office applications out there and if M$ messes it up too bad, they'll lose business. Trust the market.

I know I'll prolly be THE-ODD-ONE, but if MS offers newest Windows (Home/Pro) + newest Office (Home/Pro) + 1TB OneDrive space for $4,99, I'll definitely sub.

Of course the capigtalist scum would want to get your money monthly instead of 1-time.

We'll be getting Office 2019 and be set for 10 years. Hopefully by then we'll be on Linux only.

See you around M$.

I have no problems with the move to subscription for Office 365. It's not like it is a yearly subscription requirement. Pay for office when you need to use it and cancel it when you no longer need it. You get the latest updated version no matter what. This is a godsend model for college students on a budget. They only need it active during school. And you are getting more than just word, excel, and powerpoint with this. You also get an outlook email account, publisher, access, and 1 terabyte of cloud storage for your account. And that storage is based on per user as well. So if you go with the family plan known as office 365 home. You get a total of 6tb of storage for all 6 accounts combined. The storage alone pays for the subscription cost imo.
2018-12-18_0945.png
2018-12-18_0949.png

well anything as a service is a money safer since I would put simply 0 cent into such things.
I can't name a single one which ever worked.
Funny to see how Nadella ruins the company for the endusers. Looks for similar to IBM.
No problem, gaps are mist times filled ASAP by other companies then.
The way of life.

I have no problems with the move to subscription for Office 365. It's not like it is a yearly subscription requirement. Pay for office when you need to use it and cancel it when you no longer need it. You get the latest updated version no matter what. This is a godsend model for college students on a budget. They only need it active during school. And you are getting more than just word, excel, and powerpoint with this. You also get an outlook email account, publisher, access, and 1 terabyte of cloud storage for your account. And that storage is based on per user as well. So if you go with the family plan known as office 365 home. You get a total of 6tb of storage for all 6 accounts combined. The storage alone pays for the subscription cost imo. View attachment 112841View attachment 112842

For that money you could easily assemble a domain name, hosting and personal email account, not under the supervision of MS storage. Get a copy from office 2003 or so and launch this within Linux using Wine. GG.

The subscription thing is bullshit. Half the world is already paying subscriptions all over the place:

- Netflix
- Spotify
- PS4/PS3/XBOX

A subscription for an OS or mandatory "Office" software? Where where the days that you pay a one time fee for a CD with unique & personal key (license) ? The things you buy these days you do not longer own.

Haven't used Office in over a decade. However, if I had been, I'd be moving to something more worthy like LibreOffice or OpenOffice. Luckily I'm already there and have no intention of ever touching MS Office again. Certainly not alone in that.

Processor i7-14700k
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi
Cooling DeepCool LS720
Memory 32gb GSkill DDR5-6400 CL32 Trident Z5
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 LE
Storage 990 Pro 1tb, 980 Pro 512gb, WD black 4tb
Display(s) 3 x HP EliteDisplay E273
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitec MK520
Keyboard Logitec MK520
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi 35805
I don't see this happening with Windows itself, but Office 365 is already subscription based and for what it includes its well worth it.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I wonder if they're even allowed to go on subscription for an OS? The EU would likely argue it to be unfair under competition law given most store bought PC's come with an OS by MS. Until games (and all other software) is 100% transferable to other OS, I can't see it being allowed (if to use software 'X', you need to also pay MS a monthly fee).
Or in other words, they could effectively hold your PC, your property, to ransom. Good point.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Next time, Ford will charge you for using your car.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
We are still using pirated Office 2010 here.
Shove your subscriptions, Ms.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
We are still using pirated Office 2010 here.
Shove your subscriptions, Ms.
hahaaa.. i still run 2007
new office got bugs that hold me to use that
if they lower the price and fix that bugs i consider to use their new stuff

For that money you could easily assemble a domain name, hosting and personal email account, not under the supervision of MS storage. Get a copy from office 2003 or so and launch this within Linux using Wine. GG.

The subscription thing is bullshit. Half the world is already paying subscriptions all over the place:

- Netflix
- Spotify
- PS4/PS3/XBOX

A subscription for an OS or mandatory "Office" software? Where where the days that you pay a one time fee for a CD with unique & personal key (license) ? The things you buy these days you do not longer own.

I just saw your reply. I don't disagree with anything you said if the user who has the knowledge to do so, but you are not taking into account the general populace and their knowledge base on this subject. I've been called in to help our users setup mouse and keyboards. It is a plug and play device. I've had users who thought every time they had a problem with a pc that the modem was the problem....."Yes, she thought a modem controlled the entire pc." I had a guy lock himself out of our domain due to 10 incorrect password entries in a 5 minute time frame, come to the IT room, and tell us how we are not doing our jobs appropriately. I had a user who said he could not print. The reason being that he was not hitting the print button. My favorite was a CFO who called me over to fix his PC. He said it no longer worked. His monitor was turned off. There was nothing wrong with it.....And those are just generic tickets. Don't expect the average person to have the same knowledge that you do. So people will pay to get the features automatically thrown at them.

Other then that, I completely agree that all the subscriptions suck. We will get to the point where subscriptions to Netflix, Spotify, etc will eventually reach the point of paying for cable if people are not careful. Everyone subscribes and forgets about autopay.