• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition "A Disaster" in DX12!

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I've been some threads here and there, while NVidia cards do have some hiccups, the game is quite playable. Those using AMD cards have reported corrupted image, and stutter fest......and please bear in mind that I'd pointed it out or theorized (since, well, I'm a conspiracy theory guy as I'd said), I don't think I'd asserted it. Whatever the case, you have to admit that something, some would call shenanigan, is going on behind the scene. The only time I'd asserted anything is with regards to M$, ain't gonna touch any DX12 game released by them.

Given the fact that it seems (from the mixed gpu results of recent testing) that microstutter is back with DX12 (on both camps), I think we can safely say, MS is in the dock here. The MS store is the walled garden of doom that is at fault. If Nvidia's stuff is causing problems in most other games - you simply turn it off. No physx, no hbao+, no problems. MS have denied that to the consumer by grinding it into the bones of the API/MS store abomination. We can all agree that Gameworks when implemeted by lazy dev's is a catastrophe but Gameworks itself is not the problem. Even WCCFTech have published on it to suggest NV have eased up on it's 'black box' nature. You are not meant to drop the dll's into the code and off you go. It requires understanding to utilise and encode with. Yes, big problem is that Nvidia wont care too much if it's not coded in properly because it generally wont adversely affect them. But really, if I was creating game code it'd be damn well made to suit all my consumers.
If we blame this on NV, then MS will think everything's okay with their walled garden approach. If we blame MS, they shoulder the blame for poor implementation of a proprietary code that needs end user selection and 'deselection'.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Gal Civ 3 is a mere shadow of its former self, and is an obvious 'sell you DLC that was base content' cash grab. You should have seen it on release, it looked like you were going back 10 years, including simple string errors in text and all sorts of graphical glitches. If thát is Stardock release quality, I'd run away fast. And even still, GalCiv 3 is surpassed by virtually every other good space 4X that is currently out there, even the largely unfinished ones. It's bland, it's boring, it has no soul and most mechanics seem to work until you dive deeper into them. The positivity here and in reviews regarding this game stems from that good ol' nostalgic feeling of GalCiv 2 and the hope that someday the sequel may get to its level. Trust me it won't. I'm honestly having more fun with Civ:BE and that says a lot because that is another 4X that is a shadow of its former self.

Fallen Enchantress sure wasn't that bad. But overall, Stardock isn't a great developer, they are a great publisher - Ironclad is the real hero here because they developed Sins, which is a really solid RTS. If anything, Stardock is good at long term support and finishing what they started.
I'm not sure I agree with any of that, but to each their own.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
So anyone tried editing out the blur yet?

System Name DaBeast! DaBeast2!
Processor AMD AM4 Ryzen 9 5900X 12C24T/AMD AM4 RYZEN 9 3900X 12C/24T
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme/Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 360/Thermalright PA 120 SE
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16/2x 16GB Patriot Elite II DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX 24GB/Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT 16GB
Storage 500GB Crucial P3 Plus NVMe PCIe 4x4 + 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe PCIe 4x4 + TG Cardea Zero Z NVMe PCIe 4x4
Display(s) Samsung LC49HG90DMEX 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2/Acer XR341CK 75Hz 21:9 Freesync
Case CoolerMaster H500M/SOLDAM XR-1
Audio Device(s) iFi Micro iDSD BL + Philips Fidelio B97/FostexHP-A4 + LG SP8YA
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum/Enermax MAXREVO 1500
Mouse Logitech G703/Logitech G603 WL
Keyboard Logitech G613/Keychron K2
Software Win11 Pro/Win11 Pro
Given the fact that it seems (from the mixed gpu results of recent testing) that microstutter is back with DX12 (on both camps), I think we can safely say, MS is in the dock here. The MS store is the walled garden of doom that is at fault. If Nvidia's stuff is causing problems in most other games - you simply turn it off. No physx, no hbao+, no problems. MS have denied that to the consumer by grinding it into the bones of the API/MS store abomination. We can all agree that Gameworks when implemeted by lazy dev's is a catastrophe but Gameworks itself is not the problem. Even WCCFTech have published on it to suggest NV have eased up on it's 'black box' nature. You are not meant to drop the dll's into the code and off you go. It requires understanding to utilise and encode with. Yes, big problem is that Nvidia wont care too much if it's not coded in properly because it generally wont adversely affect them. But really, if I was creating game code it'd be damn well made to suit all my consumers.
If we blame this on NV, then MS will think everything's okay with their walled garden approach. If we blame MS, they shoulder the blame for poor implementation of a proprietary code that needs end user selection and 'deselection'.
I do blame both NVidia and the game developer for the Gamework debacle on AMD cards. While it does affect NVidia cards to a certain extend, still NVidia cards' performance looks sweet compared the clusterEFF that is AMD cards' performance. Don't you think it rather strange that HBAO+ (a GW feature) is suspiciously labelled as plain HBAO in the game? Who's idea was that? Why is hardware PhysX enabled by default, and NOT be allowed to be turned off? Again, who's bright idea was that? One can argue that the game dev was at fault, but I find it a tad weird that they would insert NVidia GW features that cripple the performance of AMD cards all on their own. If these features can be disabled, I'd not be so suspicious, that they are not is quite........disturbing. Again, I stress that these are just suspicions, conjectures and theories, not assertions which implies I'm sure of my stance/suspicions.

As for M$, I don't like their 'walled garden' approach as well. Hence my asserting/stating that I'd NEVER buy any AAA DX12 (or any other DX API) games till they allow more transparency. If the game is a M$ exclusive and can't be bought elsewhere be it via online digital download or physical discs, then I'd give such M$ game a pass.......with a middle finger to boot. As I'd mentioned, such 'features' like online cut scene streaming sound like a bad joke, and has been likened to a sort of anti-piracy measure that hurt legit consumers more than pirates.

I look back fondly to the early days of gaming where AA and other features work right off the bat on whichever card you use......

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Also, are there games where multiple NPCs have tressFX hair on screen at the same time?

Last edited: