• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

General questions

iam814

I bought a dell laptop, which has a 10300h and a 1660ti. I read 10300h ran hot, so I used throttlestop as instructed by a youtube video. To be specific, I went to the tpl setting and lowered the two values- PL1 and PL2 to 35, from 100 and 85 and clicked turn on. So the questions are:
1. How do i know if what i set are in effect? That is, if it's working at all?
2. Are the inputs thatI entered the correct step, or value for exclusively gaming? I played 7d2t and it reached 92C, which was alarming..(It was on ultra-ish)
3.if i enable alienware high performance mode, which I always do, does that cancel what I've done?(It gets really hot without turning it on)
4. Does clicking Turn Off and saving it reset the whole thing?

Any help would be appreciated as this is my first gaming laptop.I will attach pics if that's needed.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I will attach pics
That would be very helpful.

If you adjust the PL1 and PL2 power limits in ThrottleStop and you check the Clamp options, these power limits will be enforced. Run a stress test on your computer and you will see these power limits in action.

Open Limit Reasons and watch for PL1 or PL2 turning red and watch the package power consumption data. This CPU normally runs at 5000 MHz so it is easy to see that it has been slowed down significantly because it is being power limit throttled so it does not exceed 45W. ThrottleStop makes testing like this easy. I am using the built in TS Bench to create some load.

1624145662080.png

The 10300H has a 45W TDP rating. A properly engineered laptop should be able to run a 10300H at 45W indefinitely without any thermal or power limit throttling. That is the performance level that you paid for. You should not have to use ThrottleStop to lower the performance of your CPU.

The Turn On Turn Off button does virtually nothing. It only controls the Clock Mod feature and the Set Multiplier feature and those are rarely used or needed on most modern 10th Gen CPUs.

it reached 92C
Most gaming laptops run at over 90°C. Sky high temperatures like this are now considered to be normal operating temperatures. I have no idea why people love these ovens. If a laptop is this hot when it is brand new, guess how it is going to perform 6 months from now.

If you are using Alienware software to manage your CPU and you are using ThrottleStop to manage your CPU then I have no idea what program is going to be in control. There is only one CPU. You are creating a situation where two different programs are writing different values to the same CPU control registers. The result of this is unpredictable.

Do you have access to CPU voltage control in the ThrottleStop FIVR window or has this feature been locked out by Dell? Reducing the CPU core and cache voltage offsets by approximately -75 mV can help reduce heat. Sadly, many Dell laptops have disabled this useful feature.

iam814

That would be very helpful.
Thank you for the information. I added two pics, one idle and gaming. And unfortunately , the FIVR section is completely locked for me :( Also, I noticed it barely reaches 30W, so I guess I've been doing quite nothing after all. I tried without throttlestop, and no surprise it made no difference so I apologize for wasting your time.

For the aliemware performance mode, it added like 300mhz, and 10more W. And the "Limits" was indicating a flashing red PL2. Which seems odd, as I had thought PL1 was for extended load.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    512.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    536.4 KB · Views: 58