• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got a new 1080 but 0 FPS change???

I am in desperate need of help. Basically I just got a new GPU and PSU so that I could start streaming while playing games. I got and Asus GTX 1080 8gb and the EVGA G3 650w. I have an i7 - 6700k that is at stock speeds. My motherboard is the MSI b250m bazooka. I have tried OCing my CPU but my BIOS will only let me change the speed to 4.2ghz. The problem that I am having is that I get almost the same fps in Fornite and Overwatch with the my new GTX 1080 as I did with my old 1060 3gb, I don't know how this could be possible, and when I try to stream, my fps in Fornite drops to 80-120. I used DDU to delete all old drivers before installing the 1080. I have posted twice on reddit and have gotten 0 help both times. I will run any stress tests that you guys ask for and answer all questions about my PC specs. I really hope SOMEBODY can help me so that I did not just waste $600 on a GPU for nothing.

(p.s sorry for grammar)

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You can't OC on B250, you should still see a fps increase tho. Try reinstalling Windows

You can't OC on B250, you should still see a fps increase tho. Try reinstalling Windows
I reset my pc completely, reinstalled windows and new drivers. 0 change

i have been reading up on lots of forums and
I have a bad feeling about my ram being the problem.

Somebody posted this *not my writing below*
CPU is nearly always at 100% usage with the 970 or the 1070 at 60% usage, how often i was told it was a CPU bottleneck, and how so many are proved wrong below.
I’ve always played this game with low settings across the board, zero anti ailising, 75% render resolution (@1080p), and nvidia control panel putting performance above quality (forcing AF off, performance > quality etc)

With this setup I avg around 170-190 fps. When it’s calm and chill on my screen im at 300fps, teamfights etc im as low as 150/170. Random dips BELOW 120fps.

I’ve been in the school of thought that RAM speed has negligible effects on gaming. This is and has been the case for pretty much forever. Maybe it’s just Overwatch in particular, but RAM speed has a direct correlation to FPS when attempting to push and maintain 200+ FPS.

From what I can tell, no matter the system, your RAM frequency is the bottleneck when attempting to push high frame rates, possibly in any and all games as well.

I recently acquired a gtx 1070 to put into my machine. To my disappointment, I saw at most, a 10-20 fps increase in regards to my minimums/dips and avg. Utter bullcrap, SO MAD.

I overclocked my DDR3 1600 to 2133. My lowest FPS dips went from 120 to 150.
My avg fps went from 170-190 to 190-220, and i was maintaining 240+ in many situations that i wasn’t even getting 200.

Due to the positive results of my testing, I went and bought 8gb (2x4) of DDR3 2400 C11 Corsair Vengeance Pro. I slapped it into my machine, good lord the results.
My MINIMUM FPS/DIP POINTS are now 190-200. My avg is easily 240+. I decided to do a little more testing, I just now overclocked my ddr3 2400 c11 to 2666 c12. I have yet to see my FPS drop below 240. I maintain 280+ more often than not. Im sure the FPS gains/avgs/minimum will and can continue to improve.

Im not 100% sure if this is the same for ddr4. But as far as i know and can prove, ddr3 ram speed is DIRECTLY related to maximum fps for high end machines.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Fornite is not that GPU intensive , I often get over 100 fps with a 1060 , the main limiting factor is the CPU. I am sure that if you were to run it at 4K with DSR you'd see a bigger improvement of sorts.

I really hope SOMEBODY can help me so that I did not just waste $600 on a GPU for nothing.

Well , dropping 600$ for a high end GPU just to play games like Fortnite and Overwatch when you already had a 1060 was not a very inspired decisions in the first place. I'll repeat it again , these games are not that demanding.

1080p.png

Notice how a 1080 and a Titan X gets you the same fps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178884

Check thermals - Is your graphics card/cpu thermal throttling?

If not reinstall nvidia drivers then attempt to push up the settings as it should reduce cpu load, you can get a cheap "z" motherboard nowadays which will work well - try ebay?

I play competitive overwatch and very very aware of any small changes that can happen during the game. RAM has little to no effect on my experience. I have RAM ranging from 2133 all the way to 3600.

Fornite is not that GPU intensive , I often get over 100 fps with a 1060 , the main limiting factor is the CPU. I am sure that if you were to run it at 4K with DSR you'd see a bigger improvement of sorts.
It does not make sens because there are multiple streamers with similar specs as me. But for one example, there is a fortnite streamer that has the same GPU and CPU as me yet they get more fps while streaming than I do without even streaming. I might add I am using single chain of 8gb ram 1600

System Name Illidan
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Scythe Mugen 4
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3000MHz 14CL
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Storage Crucial P1 1TB + Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung EVO Plus 970 2TB + F3 1TB + Toshiba X300 4TB
Display(s) Iiyama G-MASTER G4380UHSU-B1
Case Corsair 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sony WH1000-XM4
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Couple years back, an upgrade from slower DDR3 to better really upped the frame rate on older CPUs, comparable to a decent CPU OC. The story of the guy easily checks out.
However, you have a new platform with DDR4, so you cannot compare those results.

Anyway, assuming you play on 1080p, I think you are more CPU bound (that's my experience with UE4) and it's normal not to have a decent increase in fps by upgrading to a better GPU. Add streaming to that and you tax the other cores of your CPU. This will probably make your max clockspeed lower and when in a cpu limited scenario, this makes your frame rate drop...

D

Deleted member 178884

I play competitive overwatch and very very aware of any small changes that can happen during the game. RAM has little to no effect on my experience. I have RAM ranging from 2133 all the way to 3600.
Definitely, I'm putting it down to the cpu - being at stock speeds it wouldn't handle 1080p too well as it would overclocked

D

Deleted member 178884

It does not make sens because there are multiple streamers with similar specs as me. But for one example, there is a fortnite streamer that has the same GPU and CPU as me yet they get more fps while streaming than I do without even streaming. I might add I am using single chain of 8gb ram
I'd highly recommend a cheap z170/270 motherboard - You can overclock the cpu for more performance
Check your GPU core clocks during gaming...
Go away, gpu core clocks are irrelevant.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It does not make sens because there are multiple streamers with similar specs as me. But for one example, there is a fortnite streamer that has the same GPU and CPU as me yet they get more fps while streaming than I do without even streaming. I might add I am using single chain of 8gb ram

I edited my comment with a benchmark of the game , these games are simply more CPU bound than GPU , once you go past a certain level of graphics power it makes little difference.

Check thermals - Is your graphics card/cpu thermal throttling?

If not reinstall nvidia drivers then attempt to push up the settings as it should reduce cpu load, you can get a cheap "z" motherboard nowadays which will work well - try ebay?
-My thermals are fine
-I already reinstalled nvidia driver multiple times and it did nothing, I also slowly upped my settings which did increase my GPU usage but my fps stayed the same or lower.

Well , dropping 600$ for a high end GPU just to play games like Fortnite and Overwatch when you already had a 1060 was not a very inspired decisions in the first place. I'll repeat it again , these games are not that demanding.

View attachment 103357

Notice how a 1080 and a Titan X gets you the same fps.
These benchmarks were on high settings, my fps is bad when I am running all low

D

Deleted member 178884

-My thermals are fine
-I already reinstalled nvidia driver multiple times and it did nothing, I also slowly upped my settings which did increase my GPU usage but my fps stayed the same or lower.
Then your likely to be cpu limited, playing at 1080p means the cpu is utilised much more than the gpu - I'd highly recommend a "z" motherboard to get your cpu to around 4.7 where it should eliminate some stutter / lag

-My thermals are fine

Try running high settings? It will use the gpu more and might reduce those fps dips.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

That makes it even worse. You are reducing the GPU load to an absolute minimum , therefore making the CPU an even bigger limitation. Think for a moment , if a Titan X which is roughly 2.5 times faster than a 1060 is only 50% faster in Fortnite on high , if you reduce the settings the gap will close even further.

Couple years back, an upgrade from slower DDR3 to better really upped the frame rate on older CPUs, comparable to a decent CPU OC. The story of the guy easily checks out.
However, you have a new platform with DDR4, so you cannot compare those results.

Anyway, assuming you play on 1080p, I think you are more CPU bound (that's my experience with UE4) and it's normal not to have a decent increase in fps by upgrading to a better GPU. Add streaming to that and you tax the other cores of your CPU. This will probably make your max clockspeed lower and when in a cpu limited scenario, this makes your frame rate drop...
So you recommenced me getting a new MB

That makes it even worse. You are reducing the GPU load to an absolute minimum , therefore making the CPU an even bigger limitation. Think for a moment , if a Titan X which is roughly 2.5 times faster than a 1060 is only 50% faster in Fortnite on high , if you reduce the settings the gap will close even further.
I tried Medium settings and Epic settings which increased my GPU usage, but had no effect on fps

D

Deleted member 178884

So you recommenced me getting a new MB
I'd highly recommend it, I would never pair a "K" cpu with a locked chipset - with the "z" series motherboard you can push your cpu performance further and that will help massively at 1080p

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard Asrock X470 Master sli/ac
Cooling Raijintek Themis Evo
Memory Team Dark Pro 3200 cl14
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 850W
Run games/benches at max settings with 1060 and try with 1080, you might see a difference.

I'd highly recommend it, I would never pair a "K" cpu with a locked chipset - with the "z" series motherboard you can push your cpu performance further and that will help massively at 1080p
Ok,
So these are the specs of a streamer that can run fornite at 200-240 while streaming
CPU: i7 6700k
GPU: GTX 1080
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8x2 gb
SSD: Samsung 840 pro

And I can run fornite at 130-200 while not streaming
If I get the same MB MY FPS will be fixed?

D

Deleted member 178884

Ok,
So these are the specs of a streamer that can run fornite at 200-240 while streaming
CPU: i7 6700k
GPU: GTX 1080
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8x2 gb
SSD: Samsung 840 pro

And I can run fornite at 130-200 while not streaming
If I get the same MB MY FPS will be fixed?
Like i said a z motherboard - his cpu is probably overclocked, are you using a ssd for the os?

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I tried Medium settings and Epic settings which increased my GPU usage, but had no effect on fps

The fps should go down if anything. This game will never run any faster than it already does on your machine which is what I am trying to explain to you , you have a lot of spare GPU power which isn't used in a game like this. Sure you can change the motherboard and OC the CPU but a stock 6700K is already pretty decent , you wont see a massive difference.

Unless you run some other GPU intensive game which still does not yield any improvement I see nothing wrong with your system. You expected too much I am afraid.

D

Deleted member 178884

I have no ssd does that really matter though?
Issue is he doesn't have the same specs as you, he has an ssd which should increase fps minimally and he has a z motherboard which has oc support - his cpu is probably overclocked. It shouldn't matter too much, what monitor are you using?

The fps should go down if anything. This game will never run any faster than it already does on your machine which is what I am trying to explain to you , you have a lot of spare GPU power which isn't used in a game like this. Sure you can change the motherboard and OC the CPU but a stock 6700K is already pretty decent , you wont see a massive difference.

Unless you run some other GPU intensive game which still does not yield any improvement I see nothing wrong with your system. You expected too much I am afraid.
Well can you explain to me how my fps is so much lower than someone with similar specs. Think about it your telling me my fps cannot drastically get higher with the hardware I currently have yet someone with very similar hardware gets 100fps more. What is the flaw here?

Issue is he doesn't have the same specs as you, he has an ssd which should increase fps minimally and he has a z motherboard which has oc support - his cpu is probably overclocked. It shouldn't matter too much, what monitor are you using?
144hz Acer gn246hl

Well can you explain to me how my fps is so much lower than someone with similar specs. Think about it your telling me my fps cannot drastically get higher with the hardware I currently have yet someone with very similar hardware gets 100fps more. What is the flaw here?

144hz Acer gn246hl
I tried streaming earlier and was getting 110 fps yet he gets 210-240
So lets review
-New MB
-Consider ssd

D

Deleted member 178884

Sorry but that frame rate is normal - he is using a ssd so will have slight more fps.