• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU usage spikes to 100% them to 0% and screends go freeze and them go black

Stikut

Hello , recently i upgraded my PC and got a problem i didnt have before , sometimes both my screens freeze for a second and them go black , after ward when i checked on task manager i noticed that GPU usage would always spike them drop to 0 , this manly happens when watching videos online ( youtube . netflix , twitter , ext. ) also it happens pretty much always after a couple minutes of playing a game called Hearthstone , also after this happening the screens of the video go full green like a green screen and the game window goes blank , i think this might be GPU or HHD problem but it weirdly doesnt happen on harder to run games like Rainbow 6 Siege or Warframe , i mainly think this is a GPU problem because i am normaly getting graphical glithches on videos , again weirdly not on any games , by graphical glitches i mean the video being pixelated for a bit , only the video not the full screen , also another problem is in games when something is loading and there is audio it cuttes out for a second frames drop , i also have to say i dont know to much about tech but i have learned some thing doing research try to fix these problems , if i where to guess i would say it is a GPU or an HDD problem .
My specs :

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
MB : ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS
RAM : 16 GB
PSU : Corsair CX 450M
HDD : ST1000m003-1er162 , says so in task manager

Almost forgot to mention about the upgrade , the only thing i keept from the old pc was the GPU which is about a year old and the HDD which is about 4 years old .

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Does the fan spin on the GPU?

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Check your ram is on the manufacturers QVL list. secondly test the 1050 in a different PC if you can. lastly I really dont like corsair CX series power supplies - They might work for some people but i think they are absolute junk.

Check you got your chipset and GPu drivers installed with the latest and greatest too.

Last edited:

petey pitbullz

dont know if u are running a windows insider build but builds 18908 and build 18912 had this problem with the screen blanking out then returning, build 18922 corrected this problem. build 18922 was just released a few days ago.

Stikut

First i want to thank you guys for responding , also not sure if it matter but i use Windows 10

1. yes , my GPU fan is spinning and all the others are too , on my CPU , PSU , case fans too .
2. checked the QVL list and it is compatible with my CPU , i checked my driver on GeForce experience and it said they are up to date , also on a program called driver booster ( free version ) and same , updated my BIOS , also would it be ok i instead i tried a diffrent GPU in my system , i cant put the current one in another one too
3. bruh , honesty dont have a clue what you are saying , as i said dont know alot about tech and this stuff

System Name Iglo
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 32 gigs - 3600hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 GAMING
Storage NvmE x2 + SSD + spinning rust
Display(s) BenQ XL2420Z - lenovo both 27" and 1080p 144/60
Case Fractal Design Meshify C TG Black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z-2300 2.1 200w Speaker /w 8 inch subwoofer
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 550w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair k100 Air Wireless RGB Cherry MX
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores Super-PI 1M T: 7,993 s :CinebR20: 5755 point GeekB: 2097 S-11398-M 3D :TS 7674/12260
Go to setup then system, then press the about colon its the lowest line in system, there you can check your numbers of your windows build

Stikut

it says it 1803 , thanks for the tip , good to know , also update windows in updates and security but it didnt change

Last edited:
The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
You should test with only one display connected to exclude the dual monitors configuration as part of the issue. Completely disconnect one monitor from the video card and do whatever you do to cause the issue.

Stikut

You should test with only one display connected to exclude the dual monitors configuration as part of the issue.
Still happened but a lot later , except after it happend this time the screen didnt return it just stayed black , tried to unplug/plug in the cables to the monitor them the second on too but it didnt help , had to press the switch on my PCU
I can test my GPU in what was my old pc if it happens on there too , this problem only started happening after i got the upgrade

ok , i just plugged in some old GPU i found my dad had , will try to force the same thing to happen with this GPU , also just noticed that my disk is running at 100% very often , makes me think the HDD might be the problem , hope so tbh , GPUs are more expensive them drivers
will post an update after the test

oh , a funny little thing about this old GPU , it doesnt seem to show it in task manager
i was wondering , is there a program that would let me check my power usage , i did caclulate before i got the upgrade but it might have been inaccurate