• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Guide on how to enable DTS 5.1 Connect/Interactive for Motherboard with onboard Realtek USB Audio

Would you happen to have a link to the DTS Ultra Pack your talking about above?

This is from the thread "DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive for Most Devices" in the forum.

I am assuming you are using a Realtek USB based solution and not HDAudio.

Once you have installed, did you go into FX Configurator ?

You don't need a modded one (in fact i use the vendor drivers from Asus).

To enable DTS Interactive over SPDIF for Realtek USB Audio (using the new simpler method) :
  1. Download and Install the DTS Ultra Pack from the thread "DTS:X APO4 + DTS Interactive for Most Devices".
  2. Go to the folder "\DTS-X Ultra\SETUP\FX Configurator" and open FX Configurator.
  3. Locate your SPDIF output from the drop down list (for me it's "[Active] Realtek Digital Output (Realtek USB Audio) {xxxxxx-xxxxx-xxx-xx-xxx-xxx}" and select it.
  4. It's the xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx ID that you need, and you copy it by clicking "Copy GUID".
  5. Go to the folder "\DTS-X Ultra\SETUP\HDA" and open the file "Multichannel [Interactive].reg" in NOTEPAD.
  6. There are two registry keys :
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{DEVICE-ID}\FxProperties]
    • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{DEVICE-ID}\Properties]
  7. Overwrite both of the "{DEVICE-ID}" with the GUID you copied from Step 4 including the parenthesis {curly brackets}.
  8. Save
  9. Double click the "Multichannel [Interactive].reg" to apply it to the Registry
  10. Reboot (it's easier than restarting all the services).
  11. Go to the Sound Control panel and open the "Realtek Digital Output" and you should be able to select DTS Interactive instead of 2 channel.
  12. Done
When Windows does a major update, it rebuilds the audio endpoints and the GUID changes, so you have to repeat this.

I am working through Ferathers instructions to make this permanent, but my IQ isn't quite as high, so it's taking me some time.

In answer to your other questions :
  • I don't play Watchdogs, so I can't answer that. But it does work correctly for me in Forza Horizon 5 (full 5.1), but not in FS2020 as that game appears to be Stereo, so I get DTS Encoded 2.0 output to my Z906. 2 channel / Stereo playback works fine for me in all cases.
  • If you are using Realtek Modded Driver, this is not needed for Realtek USB solutions using this method. So if you are using an HDA based driver (versions 6.0.xxxx instead of 6.3.xxxx), you shouldn't be using this method and this thread isn't the right thread for you.
  • My config is very vanilla, basic driver, no mods, only DTS Interative enabled using the above.
  • When I check the Sound Control Panel, I can see 6 channels are enabled
1696931790142.png
1696931725625.png
1696931773998.png

Last edited:

qzack

Thanks for the detailed instructions Kraven.
To confirm and to get you on the same page I am using USB Audio and not HDAudio.
I was able to get those registry keys imported and I have the exact same screenshots as you are showing on my audio panel in Windows 11 Pro 22H2.
I also have the 6 Channels showing and they look the same as yours.

The issue that remains for me to fix everything is this....
FS2020 as that game appears to be Stereo, so I get DTS Encoded 2.0 output to my Z906. 2 channel / Stereo playback works fine for me in all cases.
This is not working for me on the game that needs 2.0 Stereo Audio, in this case Prototype (PC) Version
If I run a game that needs or supports DTS Interactive everything works as it should, just like it did before
but if I run Prototype I get no sound. My "Decode" light does come on. I think we have the same speaker setup as mine are the

Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System - THX​

In the past with my older non-USB audio motherboard I would just go into the sound properties and switch the audio from DTS to 2-Channel.
This would get me sound in the Prototype Game or any other (Watch Dogs) that would not work natively with DTS Interactive.
With this new setup I am not able to do so. It says "format not supported" and the only sound that works is "DTS Interactive".

Is there a way to add in another sound support channel per say or somehow fix DTS so it routes audio for games that don't have sound or require 2.0 over DTS..?
Hopefully I'm making sense. I do appreciate the instructions and help so far as I was able to uninstall the DTS APO, install my MSI USB Audio Drivers and just do the reg keys to
add in DTS. Much easier than the longer old method.

@qzack

Hmm very odd, I compiled the files and installer, so all technical questions should be posted to me. I also have Z906, and have done for years.

It's unusual for decode to come on, but no audio, however the app might be reading the current format key which could be the reason, I don't actually know without the game.
If you edit the Stereo.reg in the setup with your SPDIF {GUID}, you can switch between DTS Interactive 6 channel, and 2 channel PCM, by double clicking.

I would create a new folder, copy both Interactive and Stereo.reg files, and edit both with your SPDIF {GUID}, for easier usage.

----

I also suggest you enable 'Stereo Mix', in recording (show disabled), and enable 'listen to'. The stream and decode will always be on, also fixes response.

If I run a game that needs or supports DTS Interactive
There we clearly have a difference, my setup is not dependent on DTS support within ANY app, in fact I wasn't even aware that any games are DTS aware, they simply send either 2 or 6 channel audio and it's left to the PC to encode it as needed (such as PCM, DD, DTS, AAC, etc....). The only apps which would be DTS aware are those which have audio passthrough such as VLC, but they can only passthrough any raw (static) audio tracks they have.

As for switching between 2 channel and DTS, I have never had to do this, it has always just worked. All that needed to happen was for the app/game to output to the appropriate channels available (either L/R or L/R/C/LS/RS/SW).

All apps should be sending PCM, but it sounds like in this case its sending an empty stream. And yes there is such thing as an empty stream (I was debugging 'listen to' the other day).
I use 'Stereo Mix' to constantly have an active stream on SPDIF (and also HDMI), which fixes stream start-stop popping, other. Anyhow I found empty streams exist.

In PCM mode, if Stereo Mix is muted (in the control panel), it outputs an empty stream, whereas unmuted (with speakers unplugged), it contains PCM.
The Z906 will show no stream when muted, and enter PCM mode when unmuted, even though there is no audio in the PCM.

In DTS mode, the decode light comes on, with Stereo Mix muted or unmuted. In short there is a difference between containing PCM with no audio, and no PCM at all.

Attachments

• Stereo Mix - Stream.png
    Stereo Mix - Stream.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

qzack

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try this suggestion which sounds like will give me that second sound choice.
If you edit the Stereo.reg in the setup with your SPDIF {GUID}, you can switch between DTS Interactive 6 channel, and 2 channel PCM, by double clicking.

I would create a new folder, copy both Interactive and Stereo.reg files, and edit both with your SPDIF {GUID}, for easier usage.

For the issue with sound, I found this steam support thread that goes into a little more detail. Maybe it will help you understand the issue from a "technical" standpoint
or maybe not but it specifically mentions users running SPDIF audio setups and not getting any sound within the game when playing it. Everyone was blaming Ubisoft for the issue
and claiming they didn't encode the sound files properly. I have not tested but it is suppose to work with 3.5mm Audio Cables but I'm not switching from (optical) SPDIF to that just for a game.

Watch Dogs Sound Issue (PC)

The issue happens in Prototype, FarCry 3 & Far Cry 4 as well.

It would be nice if it would just switch automatically but in the long run I have a fix for now.
I have not added that Stereo.reg file as of yet but I will test this and report back.

Noted. @qzack, also since you might have to use stereo, you can disable Windows Store auto-updates, and install the provided DTS Sound Unbound.
Sound Unbound spatial is specifically for stereo setups, not multichannel, the DTS decoders do apply to multichannel setups.

You may or may not be able to use the DTS:X Ultra app, if there is no 'External speakers', it will run in automatic mode (ignore the app).
If you do need to check its running anyway, open Ultra, minimise the app, then restore it, it should show music.

When in multichannel mode (does not require 'External speakers'), Ultra will show 'Multichannel mode', which is automatic (you don't select modes).

Also note the Z906 can upmix incoming stereo streams to 5.1. Also spatial processing (additional processing) can add a delay.

----

Here are two images, one without any APO's (audio processing object), the second is Equalizer APO, DTS and Realtek (plus encoding to DTS, SPDIF):

No APO's - Playing Music.png All APO's - EAPO-DTS-Realtek.png

S1220A, with DTS DCH drivers, so S1220A Pro. No hardware offload, 100% software.

----

I also purchased a legitimate license for DTS Sound Unbound, which is added to my Microsoft account, and valid on 10 computers.
DTS deserve some money for their work and code, and to make sure it gets funded updates and advertising.

DTS Ultra, you can not buy on the store, its bundled with licensed devices only (normally).

You may need to use the OEM files on USB, to get control of the Ultra app in stereo mode, I am not 100% sure.

Last edited:

qzack

Thanks I will read into this over the weekend and see if I can do anything, but I doubt it, the pack just adds files to the system and registers them.

@qzack, you might the top part of this post a more usable situation than changing registry data, up to you.

Last edited:

qzack

Went looking this past week and bought a sound card. I haven't had to do this in a long time but given the issues I was having I thought it can't hurt to
try one with a generous return policy available.

I grab this one and installed it last night.
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus

After getting the sound card installed I did the following:
- Disabled On Board Sound in Bios
- Uninstalled Realtek Drivers
- Downloaded and installed Sound Blaster Drivers
- Ran threw a shit-ton of updates for the software
- 3hrs later I'm up and running

I have the choice to encode Dolby Digital or DTS with this card.
I am using SPDIF in Windows 11 Pro 22H2
It is interesting in the sound configuration as everything shows as 2CH, there is no DTS Interactive or anything like that listed as a choice.
I see two entries available for sound now as it shows as physical sound choices. Sound Blaster Speakers & Sound Blaster SPDIF.
The sound needs to be set to Speakers and it just passes the sound to the SPDIF port.
I have also noticed that my encode light is on 24-7 with my Logitech's Z7906 where as before it would only come on when sound was happening.

This is the best part. The PC game Prototype just works now. I have sound. No issues now.
I'm willing to bet that Watch Dogs and some of those other troubled games that I mentioned before will now just work.

With the sound working fully I am also willing to bet that my onboard card did not play well with the DTS modifications needed
to add DTS Interactive as it wasn't passing the sound properly. This Sound Blaster bypasses all of that and just works.

I don't know excatly where the "magic" happens and let me explain it like this.
You have a Speakers selection which uses 3.5mm audio cables then you have the SPDIF setting which is optical.
The speaker settings show all 6 Channels. The SPDIF only show 2 Channels yet when I do a sound test it clearly knows what speaker
is what. I get to hear the audio cues of "Front Left, Front Right, Center, Rear Left, Rear Right & Sub.

Final thoughts, I like the card. Other than the issue of trying to get the card to handle sound properly and process it I had no other issues.
I believe this issue was fixed with driver updates from Creative. I paid a little more for this card as it was written on the box being able to process
DTS & Dolby Digital. It costs a little more probably due to them charging for the DTS & DD licensing that comes with the software.

Appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions to fix my issues with the on-board card but with the new card I am in a better place.

Same as the older X-FI, capture PCM from Speakers > encode to DTS > redirect to SPDIF > SPDIF out. You could have enabled 'Stereo Mix', then enabled 'listen to' then mute it for 'always on'.
When I had the X-FI there was an additional Creative service for the encoding and redirect, which used up to 10% CPU (at the time), think I had an 8 core CPU.

Another way to achieve Speaker to SPDIF redirect, is to install Virtual Audio Cable (VAC), then setup the playback as Speakers, and capture to 6 channels.
Then set the capture to 'listen to' SPDIF (where SPDIF has the encoder on it), it will redirect Speakers to SPDIF (6ch), then DTS out.

Apophis_

thank you so much Kraven and Ferather, finaly i can enjoy 5.1 surround again on my logitech z-5500
some months ago my speakers developed an groundloop hum on analoge inputs that i was unable to fix
sofar this is working just great in most games.

Apophis_

i tryed to google but cant find an answer, maybe someone here knows
if i would buy creative audio card with dts support, would doom eternal and cyberpunk 2077 have 5.1 or still stereo only?

i tryed to google but cant find an answer, maybe someone here knows
if i would buy creative audio card with dts support, would doom eternal and cyberpunk 2077 have 5.1 or still stereo only?
Yes it will work.

creative does it differently, you still output to the speakers (not spdif) but creative encode the dts from there to the spdif.

this was how i did it with a sound blaster Z.

obviously the game needs to have 5.1 analogue speaker output option.

Apophis_

oke thanks
guess then its better to buy soundcard and have all games in 5.1 dts

@Apophis_

Same as the older X-FI, capture PCM from Speakers > encode to DTS > redirect to SPDIF > SPDIF out. You could have enabled 'Stereo Mix', then enabled 'listen to' then mute it for 'always on'.
When I had the X-FI there was an additional Creative service for the encoding and redirect, which used up to 10% CPU (at the time), think I had an 8 core CPU.

Another way to achieve Speaker to SPDIF redirect, is to install Virtual Audio Cable (VAC), then setup the playback as Speakers, and capture to 6 channels.
Then set the capture to 'listen to' SPDIF (where SPDIF has the encoder on it), it will redirect Speakers to SPDIF (6ch), then DTS out.

If you get the full version of Virtual Audio Cable, you can set it up the same way as Creative. As above, if you need help let me know.
You can try this first for free (you can find the VAC full version for free), rather than spend money on a Creative.

Speakers (VAC, 5.1) > VAC Capture, listen to enabled (5.1) > SPDIF (DTS 5.1) > DTS 5.1

If you want to be a bit more advanced, you can remove the Microsoft APO's from VAC and go raw (unchanged) to SPDIF.

Last edited:

Apophis_

@Apophis_

If you get the full version of Virtual Audio Cable, you can set it up the same way as Creative. As above, if you need help let me know.
You can try this first for free (you can find the VAC full version for free), rather than spend money on a Creative.

Speakers (VAC, 5.1) > VAC Capture, listen to enabled (5.1) > SPDIF (DTS 5.1) > DTS 5.1

If you want to be a bit more advanced, you can remove the Microsoft APO's from VAC and go raw (unchanged) to SPDIF.
thanks i will try that , i thought using that would create delay, will let ya know if i get it working or not
cya

You will need to right click and run the config panel app as admin, and enable speaker pin (tick box). Speaker and capture should be max 6 channels 24bit, ideally 48k.
There should be no humanly obvious delay, even less so if you remove the APO's from VAC and go raw, the only delay should be APO processing.

Edit: I forgot about buffers, so there will be buffer time latency. Not 100% sure if you can set a driver buffer size with VAC.

Last edited:

Apophis_

got it all working :) i am not sure if there is a delay while gaming. movies are no delay
here is all my settings maybe you can check if all is correct in the vac control panel

control panel
Screenshot 2023-11-16 202849.png
Screenshot 2023-11-16 211924.png

wil post the rest for information and help someone else trying to set this up

Playback Device
Screenshot 2023-11-16 212748.pngScreenshot 2023-11-16 212843.png

Recording Device
Screenshot 2023-11-16 212931.pngScreenshot 2023-11-16 212952.pngScreenshot 2023-11-16 213023.png

dont know why it shows 8 channels

thanks again :)

I think the 'MS per' is the ms latency per instance, 3ms I would guess, that's perfectly fine. If you are happy with the results, else you will need to know how to remove the MS APO's.

I doubt they will be an issue though. Also try max NC 6, see if that makes it 6 (top left corner).
You can Google for the VAC full version, then scan it with VirusTotal.

Last edited:

Apophis_

all is fine now. nc 6 was the setting i overlooked
trying that full version now
thank you for helping me

Lifetime solution. I have attached a clean x64 version (4.70 Full). Enjoy!

----

@Apophis_ , I tried VAC yesterday, I noticed Microsoft is just as bad with VAC as it is with Realtek (and probably everything else).
Open 'Device Manager', enable show hidden, then remove the ghost entries you see in the audio sections.

There will be some MS device crap that will degrade your audio, another thing is Windows also screws up the registry.
Download 'DTS Settings' (from here), you only need 'Clean Listen.reg', delete the rest so you don't get muddled.

Edit and apply 'Clean Listen.reg' to SPDIF and VAC Speakers (nothing else), then restart.

If you disable-enable or swap devices, Windows will be a deek and add the registry code back, so reapply.

Side note, VAC 4.70 is already in raw mode, no APO's, although APO's can be added.

----

Attachments

• Virtual Audio Cable - 4.70 Full.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 368
  • VAC.png
    VAC.png
    288.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Show Hidden.png
    Show Hidden.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 55
  • No Ghosts.png
    No Ghosts.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Apophis_

hi i didnt notice you added more info to the post
i have some questions
i am not sure if i should uninstall all the hidden devices in software components
Screenshot 2023-11-20 152157.png
and do i only need to edit {DEVICE-ID} in clean listen.reg

i did the tweak and some ghost devices where still vissible in FX Configurator
like i uninstalled hidden "speakers (realtek usb audio)" device
but was still seen as unplugged so i resored the pc and wil startover
think i did something wrong

cya

Windows makes a mess of audio devices. Only edit {DEVICE-ID}, correct. In some cases you remove ghosts then restart.

If you still have ghost entries in the registry, you can try 'Rebuild all endpoints' (FX Config), this will reset all.
You will need to re-program the devices after the restart, as they all now have new GUIDS.

If you don't uninstall a device before you update drivers, you can get left over endpoints in the registry.
I have seen plenty of computers with residual endpoints and ghost device entries.

Last edited: