• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Guide on how to enable DTS 5.1 Connect/Interactive for Motherboard with onboard Realtek USB Audio

Did you know why DTSX for home theater is always a grayedout option in the application? Microsoft claims that it only works when using the XBox uwp app on windows!

unless you are connecting with HDMI to an AVR, it will be greyed out.

You need Windows 11, not supported in Win10, and also HDMI as the selected playback device.

You need Windows 11, not supported in Win10, and also HDMI as the selected playback device.
I think they claimed that for windows 10. Anyway.. What is your opinion in comparing tos link vs. HDMI, it is known that all new multimedia technology comes with HDMI support, while tos link is an old technology that is slowly disappearing. The question is, is HDMI really that much better?

No its worse. And SPDIF still gets updates, just OEMS don't update it. You can see some info and a design here.
Optical HDMI has more potential, but HDMI still uses TMDS, which is not so great.

PowerDAC is the future.

Any good AV person can tell you copper has 0% benefits and in fact goes into negative when compared to optical, and is more expensive than optical.
Comparing copper internet to optical internet is already enough, optical HDMI cables have more bandwidth than copper ones.

Guess how many OEMS failed with HDMI implementation, and the number of people complaining about lag.

Last edited:
Nice guide. You need to look for a job in some music industry..btw we have the same audio hardware in the pc
Really this guide is now superseded by Ferather's new process to install the DTS Ultra Pack on top of a virgin Realtek driver pack, and then using FXConfigurator to capture the GUID for the "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek USB Audio)" and then inserting it into the "../SETUP/HDA/Multichannel [Interactive].reg" file and importing into the registry, followed by a reboot.

You still need to repeat the steps each time Windows does a major update, as the GUID changes, which is a pain if you're on an Insider channel, but it works much better.

I would produce a guide, but I don't have a clean install to ensure that I could provide a fool proof method.

What would be fantastic is a driver pack which does all this in one go, as determining the GUID is a bit of a faff for the uninitiated. (hint hint)

I would need a generic Realtek only USB driver to mod, not one with additional apos. The bigger problem is some people will still want their original apos (Nahimic, or Sonic Studio for example).
BTW its now: .../SETUP/USB-PCI/Multichannel [Interactive].reg, and you add the encoder key to last position on EFX. The HDA version might cause some problems.

I created an easy read version of the thread, here. If you find a generic Realtek USB driver pack let me know.

----

@Kraven, on second thoughts, if you did indeed use the HDA .reg version, can you open 'Regedit' and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DTS\APO
Go through the device ID's and if you find one with data in it, can you compare the ID to the one in FX, and verify its USB.

APO4 Optical.png

If APO4 is working (DTS:X), that would be interesting.

Last edited:
I would need a generic Realtek only USB driver to mod, not one with additional apos. The bigger problem is some people will still want their original apos (Nahimic, or Sonic Studio for example).
BTW its now: .../SETUP/USB-PCI/Multichannel [Interactive].reg, and you add the encoder key to last position on EFX. The HDA version might cause some problems.

I created an easy read version of the thread, here. If you find a generic Realtek USB driver pack let me know.

----

@Kraven, on second thoughts, if you did indeed use the HDA .reg version, can you open 'Regedit' and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DTS\APO
Go through the device ID's and if you find one with data in it, can you compare the ID to the one in FX, and verify its USB.

View attachment 309200

If APO4 is working (DTS:X), that would be interesting.

If you mean the GUID of "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek USB Audio)" which from FXConfigurator is {275c033e-968a-4492-a8c8-21ff051f8609} for me.

When I check :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DTS\APO\​

I have data for :

• [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DTS\APO\{275C033E-968A-4492-A8C8-21FF051F8609}]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DTS\APO\{B36DAF84-AE26-4CDE-8572-E9E120CAB7CE}] - Might be my previous GUID before windows updated to build 25926, and does not match any GUID in FXConfigurator.

I have attached the reg extracts.

As for which file I am using, I am definitely using the HDA Interactive reg, if I use the PCI-USB, DTS does not activate.

All I would say is that there has been so much messing about for me to get this working, I cannot guarantee that there is not something else I have done which makes this work well for me.

I am also still having lots of trouble running FXConfigurator, and the only way I can run it was to rename FXConfigurator.ahk > AutoHotkey.ahk and then click on AutoHotkey.exe to run it, but it clearly does not have all of it's access rights, and I only use it to get the GUID's.

As it stands, playing any of the fraunhofer through Edge Chromium works correctly, with audio coming from the correct speakers. Plex Media Player doesn't work in 5.1 playing Tidal Atmos tracks, they are stereo only. Plex Media Player playing any DTS 5.1 sound tests work perfectly in 5.1, as do the Dolby Digital True HD 7.1 tests, which playback to the correct speakers in 5.1. I don't have a DD encoder, so I assume it's decoding the DDTHD 7.1 to PCM and then re-encoding to DTS 5.1 (or maybe DTS X if i'm lucky) and the Logitech z906 are playing the DTS Core over the Realtek USB SPDIF output.

Also ran a quick test with Forza Horizon 5 and that is definitely outputting 5.1, as when I disconnect FL & FR, I still get the centre and rear channels. Whereas MS Flight Simulator is 2.0 with Centre and Rear Channels dead, which is expected.

Attachments

• Audio-Reg-Data.zip
    8.7 KB · Views: 40
  • device-mgr.jpg
    device-mgr.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot 2023-08-15 222910.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-15 222910.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
It seems the HDA version is actually working for you, or at least mostly. I did not think it would, which is why I made the PCI-USB version, which you then add the DTS key.
Using the HDA version will indeed pre-add the key and all the data needed, but I thought that DTS:X would not work, it seems it does (partly).

As it stands now, it there any latency or is everything as normal?

====

Attachments

• SPDIF Formats.png
    SPDIF Formats.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Ok, for the sake of science.....

I have completely re-installed Windows 11 22H2.

Installed Asus Driver :
- Realtek USB Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS TRX40) :​
Drivers : 6.3.9600.2355 WHQL [09/03/2023]​
SS3-SSVM Extension Driver : 1.3.18.0 WHQL [13/07/2022]​
SS3-SSVM VAD Media Driver : 1.0.3.0 WHQL [07/06/2022]​
SS3 APO SoftwareComponent Driver : 3.5.6.0 WHQL [21/11/2022]​
DTS APO4x Legacy Extension Driver : 1.1.26.0 WHQL [04/05/2020]​
DTS APO4x Service SoftwareComponent Driver : 1.11.2.0 WHQL [15/02/2023]​
DTS APO4x Core SoftwareComponent|SoftwareDevice Driver : 1.11.6.0 WHQL [01/03/2023]​

Installed DTS Ultra Pack :
  1. Download DTS Ultra Pack
  2. Installed using Install shortcut
  3. Reboot
  4. From Setup folder, open FXConfigurator and got the GUID for REALTEK DIGITAL OUTPUT
  5. Inserted into PCI-USB reg file, reboot, and didn't work
  6. Inserted into HDA reg file, reboot, and it worked immediately after selecting DTS from the Sound Control Panel
Using various Boucning Ball Tests on Youtube, latency is fine.

Interestingly, the SPDIF audio control panel, shows 6 outputs under the Balance settings.

Ran a few Bouncing Ball Audio tests on youtube, and they all look good.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-16 175118.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-16 175118.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 89
You can also upgrade Windows native support for all formats on SPDIF, however the SPDIF device and receiver must support them over SPDIF.
My old 889, my new S1220A, and self modified HDMI to Optical converter all send the formats to my Z906 (R 2010).

Obviously Z906 does not support the newer formats, so I just get noise, it does detect a PCM stream though, as it should.

I guess we should work on a DTS driver for Realtek USB if that is the case.

----

Edit, forgot to mention, Windows does not have test tones for the extra formats (no test tones on HDMI either). Had to use existing ones.

----

Attachments

• Potplayer.png
    Potplayer.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I guess we should work on a DTS driver for Realtek USB if that is the case.

Did as you said, and tried with the basic "SPDIF Interface" on "Realtek USB2.0 Audio" driver ver 10.0.22621.1 from Microsoft installed with Windows 11, and it worked first time with the HDA reg file, so it is completely driver agnostic.

Under the SPDIF Interface Properties where you can select a Test for DTS Audio, it plays fine as well (5.1 and no breakup).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-16 191933.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-16 191933.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 65
I have read the Realtek USB driver can be issue prone. I also made sure the DTS Ultra pack can config without any added driver, just never tested it on a Realtek USB device.
You might need to disable windows automatic driver update, so no drivers get installed, then you should not need to re-program (hopefully).

If you do need to re-program at some point, then a Windows update pack updated the Microsoft driver.

Be aware that using the native Microsoft driver means you can not use the Realtek app or any of its driver based features.

====

@Kraven

If you want to add back the Microsoft APO, after setting up DTS from .reg, you can add back the SFX-MFX keys, second place 'composite', and property key.

Property Page (Tab): {5860E1C5-F95C-4A7A-8EC8-8AEF24F379A1}
SFX (2nd): {62DC1A93-AE24-464C-A43E-452F824C4250}
MFX (2nd): {637C490D-EEE3-4C0A-973F-371958802DA2}

With DTS Interactive, the result would be: [ SFX - DTS/MS | MFX - DTS/MS | EFX - DTS/DTS Encoder ] + MS Property Key.

====

@ Realtek, make use of USB, and put current standard SPDIF parts into it, not this silly legacy stuff.
ESS Sabre DAC's have had the 15 channel SPDIF for a while, you are using them.

Note that the 15 channel SPDIF transmitter listed in my DMAS design is programmable.
Up to 15 channels, with speaker (channel) config like HDMI or analogue.

====

@Kraven, Stereo (2.0) to 5.1 upmixer (SFX). You can skip the 'DTS Settings', bit, but do the rest.

Last edited:
It could be Windows auto driver updates, sometimes Windows Update will force install what it considers essential drivers, other.

Obviously Z906 does not support the newer formats, so I just get noise, it does detect a PCM stream though, as it should.
Yes that is correct ,what about Linear Pulse Code Modulation? Can`t pass trough?

It could be Windows auto driver updates, sometimes Windows Update will force install what it considers essential drivers, other.
But you can manage in Group Policy Editor option about windows update to not download drivers!. when win do updates.

Last edited:
It can be in multichannel to. But in mine case if I send unsupported file format from pc to receiver it will be converted to LPCM auto in natural source channel. 5.1 or stereo..

Annastasya

Kraven, you are an absolute angel! You have ended my hours of banging my head on my keyboard. I just upgraded my PC with an ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E motherboard and developed an eye twitch when I realized that I no longer had an option for 5.1 surround sound. I spent hours trying other fixes and old methods that worked on my Crosshair V Formula Z and was at my wits end when I found your divine wisdom. Without this fix (and I say fix because this is clearly broken...) DTS always plays in full surround but anything other than DTS downmixes to stereo since there is no option in the audio device properties (as you well know) but this quick and easy fix worked in under a minute! I didn't have to reboot at all. Install ASUS drivers, install FX APO, added the DTS Connect and switched default format to DTS Interactive as you stated and retested with the same audio tests I had moments before and miracles happened!

And for those that are wow'd by all the options that FX APO offers, DO NOT BE TEMPTED! As Kraven stated, only check the two options listed. If you add other things not only will they fail to work but it will make the fix not work AND broke my DTS:X license. (Thankfully a reinstall of software from ASUS fixed that.) Just follow the exact steps Kraven gave us and you will be in surround sound heaven within a minute.

P.S.: I feel obligated to name my first child Kraven at this point.

LOL, well i'm glad it worked for you, but i'm just standing on the shoulders of others on this.

One day, hopefully someone (proabably Ferather) will come up with a single install solution based on the "DTS:X [APO4] + DTS Interactive" solution without having to add the GUID to the registry files, as that solution is much simpler, but get's over written with a Windows build number update.

@Kraven

Let me know if this works, it should end up installing and setting up the APO's for you if the endpoint is re-installed but not the main driver:
Follow the images below, renaming 'wave' to 'topo' when searching 'DeviceClasses', here are the reg points:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceClasses

----

Attachments

• Get Point.png
    Get Point.png
    408.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Search.png
    Search.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Edit Me - 1.png
    Edit Me - 1.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Edit Me - 2.png
    Edit Me - 2.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DTS Settings.zip
    224.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

qzack

Installed DTS Ultra Pack :
  1. Download DTS Ultra Pack
  2. Installed using Install shortcut
  3. Reboot
Would you happen to have a link to the DTS Ultra Pack your talking about above?

Also, the one issue I have had after switch to DTS and doing the modifications needed to make it work is I can only select "DTS Interactive"
from my list of sound options. If I choose any other option like 2 Channel my sound will go dead and I don't hear anything. Is there a way to have multiple
options available? Will the DTS Pack allow this?

For example on some PC Games like Watch Dogs 1 & Prototype 1 I do not hear any sound until I change my format to "2 Channel"
It has something to do with the game and how it processes sound. On Watch Dogs the intro video plays but the menu is quiet until the sound is switched.

On my other motherboard with the custom realtek modded driver, I had the option to choose DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1 or basic 2 Channel.
With this I can only choose the one (DTS Interactive". Hope this makes sense and thanks for any input on a solution if one exist.