• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hello, World! :D - Robert B's PC builds - oogle away freely :) - OLD Hardware Emporium

Processor 7600x -- 8600k
Motherboard MSI B650 -- ASRock z370
Cooling TR PA120 -- CM212
Memory 2x16GB -- 2x8GB
Video Card(s) PNY 4080 -- Zotac 2080ti
Storage 4TB SN850x / 4TB 870evo / 2TB SN770 -- 512GB 970 / 2TB WDBlue / some HDDs
Display(s) Acer XB271HU -- Sony X950H (49)
Case Torrent Compact/Steel Panels -- Define R2
Audio Device(s) A few
Power Supply BeQuiet Darkpower 13 750w -- Seasonic X750
Software Win10 (both)
Loved browsing this thread, takes me back. Thanks!

Grew up using Macs [IIcx IIsi Quadra660 LC475/476 Powermac9500] (Dad was in design/marketing), but my brother and I pooled our money and built our first PC in the mid 90's:

200mhz Pentium Pro i think, in a massive super tower. Pretty sure it had a Hercules video card in it or similar? Then a Voodoo2. Also have a Matrox Millenium or something like that, it was in this build at some point.

Next was a 500mhz P3 with a first gen Geforce256 (non-ddr because I couldn't find any and was totally jones'n to play some action quake).

Third PC went completely different direction: Thunderbird 1GHZ (?) with an ATI Radeon 9800.

Switched back to Intel with a P4 2.8GHZ, then on to a C2D E8400. These two had a whole bunch of GPU's in them, can't even remember them all. In no particular order because I'll surely get it wrong:
Geforce 6800GT(?), HD 4870, HD 5870, 8800GTX, probably something else I'm forgetting atm.

I saw the 6000 series Geforce a couple pages back and totally recognized that mermaid... nostalgia tweaked, thanks again.

[EDIT: Just spent about two hours perusing thread and only got through a few pages. You are a madman, this stuff is insane.]

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
How is it going folks?

I miss the time when I had TIME to spare. :) I didn't post something for such a long time ...

I am still doing what I know to do best and that is finding and restoring relics of time gone by but never forgotten. :D

The number of parts that have entered my "collection" are too many to count and I also started offering complete systems that are made according with my client's requests. :D

The ATI episode is in the works.

More later.
I'm all jelly..... Wow man, you never disappoint whatsoever!! Anything less than 10's of thousands you shouldn't be parting with!! They look perfect!! :cool:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Hey Rob B, what do you do to restore the yellowed Beige cases? Ran into that myself and figured you'd have a strategy for it

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
That bloody card looks like the 750Ti i found where the backplate had started turning blue from heat or electrical current - was crazy to see
View attachment 309632

I got accused of faking it with a blowtorch on social media, that was interesting
View attachment 309633

I'm thoroughly impressed by your ability to clean blood out of DVI ports, i'll contact you if I ever need help removing evidence...
(And the repairs in general, few people can successfully achieve that sort of repair)
that's racing color :D :D :D
just, is it rust below the DVI?

Hey Rob B, what do you do to restore the yellowed Beige cases? Ran into that myself and figured you'd have a strategy for it

In regard to Retrobright I just did it on small stuff with cream peroxide products but as lex pointed out for big parts with intricate designs immersion in liquid on a bright summer sunny day is way better.

I do not use UV lamps or other means except sunlight.

With cream type products I got the dreaded marble stone effect on some mice.

Also, personally, I think that Retrobrighting is not a final answer to yellowing and it is better to accept it as a part of retro computing as in many cases after this procedure the yellowing might come back worse than before. YMMV.

I prefer painting or other methods like vinyl wrapping that are more reliable in the long term.

With cream type products I got the dreaded marble stone effect on some mice.
Sunlight or UV treatments will fix that.

Also, personally, I think that Retrobrighting is not a final answer to yellowing and it is better to accept it as a part of retro computing as in many cases after this procedure the yellowing might come back worse than before. YMMV.
On this point, I must respectfully disagree. To me, restoring yellowed items to as close to their originally intended color is essential to proper restoration efforts. That's just my perspective though, far be it for me to tell people what to do with their own property.

I have a couple of PC cases which were quite white. I stored them for about a year in a drawer and when I got them out guess what. They were so yellow I just could believe it. I didn't Retrobright them. This gave me food for thought and made me think twice about doing any Retrobtighting to a part that I do not intend to use regularly.

In other turn of events. The star of the next episode got a really nice bubble bath. :D

Attachments

• PRW-2023-073.jpg
    PRW-2023-073.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27