• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

Which one would you chose?

• Sleep Mode.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Hibernate Mode.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Hybrid sleep Mode.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I don't use them. / Other.

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But you cannot deny it's shortcomings , even though ultimately they are unavoidable.
Nothing is perfect. I am just saying because sleep mode might not work properly 1 time out of 1000s, that's no reason to disable it. That's particularly true on the newest version of Windows with the latest hardware.

in W7 the hiberfil.sys was 6GB and after i deleted on W10 i got 20GB free space:eek:, is it the hiberfil.sys file bigger on W10 than on W7:confused:
It depends on many factors, including what you have running in memory and how much RAM you have installed. But since W10 is designed to boot and come out of sleep mode much faster than W7, then it makes sense the file would be larger.

Let's also remember W7 is nearly 8 years old. The average size disk on new computers is much larger than 8 years ago too.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Sorry, but that makes no sense. First, hibernation was indeed developed for notebooks - so when you close the lid, you can resume exactly where you left off. Yes, you can use hibernation with a PC and you can use hybrid mode on a notebook But hybrid mode was developed for the PC.

Second, if a user suffers from frequent blackouts they should definitely be using a good UPS with AVR. Note I've lived in Tornado Alley for the last 28 years so I have some experience with that. But more importantly, if a user suffers from frequent blackouts and they don't use an UPS, they should be saving their work and "gracefully" shutdown the computer, not put it in sleep mode.

Lastly, hybrid mode is called hybrid mode because it is just that, a mixture of modes. In hybrid mode, data stays in RAM (in a low voltage state) for faster wake times. But in hybrid mode, a full hibernation file is also created in case the user (or Mother Nature) decides to remove power completely.

I'm starting to lose track of what we're disagreeing on. I can't say what was on the mind of whoever designed the technique in the past, but today it is a tool available to any supporting platform where the users need it. Hybrid sleep is functionally a suspension to disk without clearing the ram, at its core it is a hibernation. Arguing which method is for which platform is -with all due respect- a waste of time. I would agree to the argument that Hybrid sleep is more versatile than simple hibernation, though, but that doesn't make hibernation a non valid method of suspension on desktops. And if someone intended for long down-times or expected power loss, the differences between hibernation and hybrid sleep become inexistent.

For the frequent blackouts part, we have to consider the scope of the issue here: whoever opts to use any suspension method, hibernation, sleep or hybrid sleep, does so explicitly to avoid shutting down the computer (for whichever reason they wanted). Anecdotal example: I'm off to work in the morning, but I do not want to close all the software and web pages I have open (and they can be many) and restart them later, so I have the choice of either sleep or hibernate (or hybrid methods), but with any S state less than 4, I run the risk of a blackout forcing me to what I avoided shutting down for, so I elect to use hibernation (or hybrid sleep, of which the hibernation part is what's needed).

A UPS is indeed a must have, but alas, not all of us live in the first world!

Pretty sure your point is correct.
Anything written to volatile memory is wiped once the computer wakes afaik. I've seen threads before about users complaining of RAM usage increasing after a computer wakes from sleep mode and as far as I know it's entirely anecdotal.

VRAM isn't wiped post-wake up, per se. The only way to wipe the entire memory is relieving if of power. Hibernation does have that effect in the suspension process (going into hibernation), upon waking up it repopulates the memory with what was occupying it before turning off (though I don't know if it was actually this simple).
What was I referring to in my previous post is Windows' memory manager's functionality. When a process is closed (eg: Alt+F4ed the main window, killed in task manager, etc), all its memory heap is then freed up for other processes to use. So, any memory that is used when a computer wakes is for actually running processes, waking up won't reserve memory for anything else (other than hardware, I guess?)

Computers can be weird. I once had a recurring issue with Microsoft's Security Essential where it starts eating up all my ram after waking up from sleep. And I'm talking about 20GB of physical memory! Still don't know what caused that bug though. Couldn't reproduce it in later Windows installations on the same hardware either.
And don't get me even started on those cheap Chinese hardware!

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
It depends on many factors, including what you have running in memory and how much RAM you have installed. But since W10 is designed to boot and come out of sleep mode much faster than W7, then it makes sense the file would be larger.

Let's also remember W7 is nearly 8 years old. The average size disk on new computers is much larger than 8 years ago too.

Fair enough.

I have enabled the hiberfil.sys again.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
In the age of Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10, plus availability of SSDs and now NVMe drives, I shut down my PC.

Takes around 15 seconds from push of power button to a usable desktop on my home machine, so I shut it down when I'm not using it. And now that MS has added install updates and shutdown back into Windows 10, it's all as it should be.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
akes around 15 seconds from push of power button to a usable desktop on my home machine, so I shut it down when I'm not using it. And now that MS has added install updates and shutdown back into Windows 10, it's all as it should be.
Good points, for sure. I guess the laziness part of me sees tapping the space bar to wake up my computer is easier than reaching over to press a power button. :laugh:

That said, even though I am more or less retired now, and what work I do is out of the home, there are times when I am called away from my computer for a little while - even if to just sit on the pot! And then I do like to resume (or see) where I was when I return - even if hours later, or the next day.