• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to disable Admin Permission/Privileges In Win10?

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
It's bloody annoying when I have to make extra clicks to approve a task when I'm constantly shuffling files around, which feels like I'm extending my task. In some cases, I'm not even aloud to delete my own files cuz I require admin privileges. Like WTF dude!!! I'm not allowed to delete/modify/move my own files on my own computer where I am the sole user which should mean that I AM THE GOD DAMN admin here!!!
So... How do I disable such annoying admin permission/privileges request dialog?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Enable the default-installed, but disabled "Adminstrator" user, log in as that, and disable UAC

That will still not give you enough permissions to access some Windows App files/registry entries, but it's sufficient for every day usage.

Source: that's how I've been using Windows 10 for years

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Enable the default-installed, but disabled "Adminstrator" user, log in as that, and disable UAC

That will still not give you enough permissions to access some Windows App files/registry entries, but it's sufficient for every day usage.

Source: that's how I've been using Windows 10 for years
What do you mean "default-enstalled" & how do I do that & disable Administrator user?
In case this is helpful, I don't remember how but I have disabled/bypassed the user logon screen at startup, meaning that when I turn on the computer, Win10 would take me straight to desktop without having to input my username/password.
I have already disabled UAC on day 1 but apparently it does not give users total permission-free control of our OS.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Why not just move the slider down a notch or two in User Account Control Settings for your username?

FTR, I feel your pain and those warnings are sometimes a PITA - especially when you are the sole user of the computer and your account is an "Administrator" account as opposed to a "Standard" account. But those warnings are there for our own protection. For the inexperienced and naïve user, they keep them from haphazardly deleting or changing critical files or settings. For the advanced users they give us pause, time to think again for a second to make sure we don't rush things and accidentally make changes we will soon regret.

If users are going to be using an Admin account for their day-to-day use (which is not recommended, BTW), I typically recommend leaving UAC at the default settings. But if you insist on changing them, you better make sure you have a robust (multiple copies) backup plan, you backup frequently, and you know how restore from it.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Why not just move the slider down a notch or two in User Account Control Settings for your username?
Sorry, forgot to clarify that the slider is set to "never notify" in UAC.
FTR, I feel your pain and those warnings are sometimes a PITA - especially when you are the sole user of the computer and your account is an "Administrator" account as opposed to a "Standard" account. But those warnings are there for our own protection. For the inexperienced and naïve user, they keep them from haphazardly deleting or changing critical files or settings. For the advanced users they give us pause, time to think again for a second to make sure we don't rush things and accidentally make changes we will soon regret.

If users are going to be using an Admin account for their day-to-day use (which is not recommended, BTW), I typically recommend leaving UAC at the default settings. But if you insist on changing them, you better make sure you have a robust (multiple copies) backup plan, you backup frequently, and you know how restore from it.
I understand that such feature exist to protect users from tinkering with critical & system files/settings but I rarely do that. The one I mess around with is with user-generated files, videos, pictures, documents, etc. Those get asked a lot for permission & it's annoying to make extra click to approve every request.
Besides, I don't think (I think...) that I'm that inexperienced and/or naive enough of a user that I would change/delete/move/modify a critical and/or system files & settings & cause issue. I do that on a weekly basis on my 2 laptop & a nettop running WinXP & they have been performing better than ever. When I do have such issue, I could either undo or rollback the changes. The same for this case on Win10. I could just undo or rollback as well IF I were to make changes to critical files/settings.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I understand that such feature exist to protect users from tinkering with critical & system files/settings but I rarely do that. The one I mess around with is with user-generated files, videos, pictures, documents, etc. Those get asked a lot for permission & it's annoying to make extra click to approve every request.
Besides, I don't think (I think...) that I'm that inexperienced and/or naive enough of a user that I would change/delete/move/modify a critical and/or system files & settings & cause issue. I do that on a weekly basis on my 2 laptop & a nettop running WinXP & they have been performing better than ever. When I do have such issue, I could either undo or rollback the changes. The same for this case on Win10. I could just undo or rollback as well IF I were to make changes to critical files/settings.

The prompts are to protect from you modifying the files, they are to protect from the virus that runs under your account from modifying the files.

That said, it shouldn't be prompting you for files under Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Anything under C:\Users\<Username>\ you already have full access to. The only exception is when Windows thinks the file was downloaded from the internet.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
The prompts are to protect from you modifying the files, they are to protect from the virus that runs under your account from modifying the files.
Yes, I know... In fact, you quoted my acknowledgement of that info. Partially, anyway. I didn't go into detail that I also know that it's to protect from malware & such.
That said, it shouldn't be prompting you for files under Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Anything under C:\Users\<Username>\ you already have full access to. The only exception is when Windows thinks the file was downloaded from the internet.
I wouldn't know that since I never put any data files into the C:\ drive so the "My Documents" folder is empty. Any downloads I make is mostly from trusted source straight into another drive so this protection feature slows down my progress.

System Name Dell Precision Workstation T5820 XL Tower
Processor Intel Xeon W-2195 18 cores 36 threads 2,3 - 4,3GHz 25MB l3 cache 8GT/s QPI
Motherboard Dell 0TVW7J
Cooling Air
Memory 8x32GB (256GB) DDR4 ECC registered Samsung 2400MHz CL17
Video Card(s) Manli Gallardo RTX 3080 Ti
Storage 10TB
Display(s) HyperX Armada 25 240Hz
Case Dell Precision T5820 Tower XL
Audio Device(s) Jamo Cornet 145, Technics SU-VZ320, Yamaha YST-SW80
Power Supply Delta Electronics H950EF-00 950W
Mouse Asus ROG Chakram
Keyboard Asus ROG Claymore II
Software Window 11 Pro for Workstations x64 23H2
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark Time spy 16848
Here is simply way how to disable UAC on Windows 10. Just double click on it.

Attachments

• Disable_UAC.rar
    250 bytes · Views: 331

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Here is simply way how to disable UAC on Windows 10. Just double click on it.
Nope, doesn't work... I still get asked to approve permissions.

200913-001.jpg

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Nope, doesn't work... I still get asked to approve permissions.

View attachment 168585

I can't for the life of me figure out why this happens to you, but you may want to check the folders permissions, then. Mostly ensure you're not denied any permissions (Windows considers denied permissions have priority over allow permissions) and also that you have "full control" in your own folders.
20200913-143304.png

20200913-143550.png

• Love
Reactions: Rei

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
It's bloody annoying when I have to make extra clicks to approve a task when I'm constantly shuffling files around, which feels like I'm extending my task. In some cases, I'm not even aloud to delete my own files cuz I require admin privileges. Like WTF dude!!! I'm not allowed to delete/modify/move my own files on my own computer where I am the sole user which should mean that I AM THE GOD DAMN admin here!!!
So... How do I disable such annoying admin permission/privileges request dialog?
I’m finding the same thing in the last month. I download game to the download folder from GOG, install it, and then delete the installer. Only the exe will not let me delete it. Not at all! That is with me using the Administrator account. Something changed in Windows lately.

my way around it has been to use Unlocker, which I haven’t had to use in years. It’s quicker than going to Safe Mode to delete a non windows fike inshould already be able to delete.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
I can't for the life of me figure out why this happens to you, but you may want to check the folders permissions, then. Mostly ensure you're not denied any permissions (Windows considers denied permissions have priority over allow permissions) and also that you have "full control" in your own folders.
View attachment 168586
View attachment 168587
HOLY CRAP!!! THAT WORKS!!! Problem solved!!! Thanks for that... Now this will cut down alotta time on making me approve every dialog prompt Win10 shoves at me, in which there will be none. As it turns out, this happens to me cuz of lack of Full Control access.
I’m finding the same thing in the last month. I download game to the download folder from GOG, install it, and then delete the installer. Only the exe will not let me delete it. Not at all! That is with me using the Administrator account. Something changed in Windows lately.

my way around it has been to use Unlocker, which I haven’t had to use in years. It’s quicker than going to Safe Mode to delete a non windows fike inshould already be able to delete.
I also use Unlocker & Iobit's Unlocker but for only WinXP & for a different scenario when a file or folder cuz it was tied down by OS or I couldn't safely eject a drive which is being tied down by explorer.exe.

On an unrelated note, I dunno if this warrants a separate thread since I'm expecting a 1 comment answer but here goes.
What is that "take ownership" feature & what does it do?

System Name System V
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Case NZXT Source 210
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
HOLY CRAP!!! THAT WORKS!!! Problem solved!!!
Glad to hear read that! :)

On an unrelated note, I dunno if this warrants a separate thread since I'm expecting a 1 comment answer but here goes.
What is that "take ownership" feature & what does it do?

Exactly what it says. You become the owner of whatever it is. This means that you can modify the object or its permissions, even if the object permissions say that you're denied or not allowed to do any changes.

I imagine this is meant to be used in situations where the object has permissions set to "allow" for one specific user, with "deny" and/or no "allow" permissions set for everyone else or at least for the party interested in accessing that resource.

IIRC, Windows writes down a security identifier which uniquely identifies the users involved, so if you did that and later on reinstalled Windows, you could check the object permissions and find that there is an user identified with a "S-1-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" string, who has full control. Since there is no one else in that access control list, you'd normally be denied permission to do anything with the object, because you are not on the list. In that case, you use the Take Ownership option, becoming the owner and therefore acquiring the right to do whatever with the object.

This also goes along with one of the security policies (either Group Policies or Local Security Policies), which control who can use this option. It's usually set to Administrators only (and it's not a good idea to change it).

I looked up this issue in Feedback hub. There were two or three reports, recent ones at that, about it. If nothing else, at least it's not widespread.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I looked up this issue in Feedback hub. There were two or three reports, recent ones at that, about it. If nothing else, at least it's not widespread.
Well that sucks not being widespread. Deleting in safe mode or with Unlocker is all that works. Can’t upgrade the permissions either. Not a huge deal, just wanted OP to know he is not alone.

EDIT: taking ownership of the next folder higher fixed it.

Last edited:

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Exactly what it says. You become the owner of whatever it is. This means that you can modify the object or its permissions, even if the object permissions say that you're denied or not allowed to do any changes.

I imagine this is meant to be used in situations where the object has permissions set to "allow" for one specific user, with "deny" and/or no "allow" permissions set for everyone else or at least for the party interested in accessing that resource.

IIRC, Windows writes down a security identifier which uniquely identifies the users involved, so if you did that and later on reinstalled Windows, you could check the object permissions and find that there is an user identified with a "S-1-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" string, who has full control. Since there is no one else in that access control list, you'd normally be denied permission to do anything with the object, because you are not on the list. In that case, you use the Take Ownership option, becoming the owner and therefore acquiring the right to do whatever with the object.
I take it the take ownership function has been rendered unnecessary then, since I changed every permission to allow for full control?
EDIT: taking ownership of the next folder higher fixed it.
Glad that solved both our issues.

System Name System V
Case NZXT Source 210
I take it the take ownership function has been rendered unnecessary then, since I changed every permission to allow for full control?
To be frank, I don't really see much point in using it unless you have trouble setting up permissions to your liking. Outside of that possibility, I don't really find any use in it. I actually had to dig up a bit in Windows XP's help system (because searching over the Internet was not turning up anything useful) to see what was the point of it :laugh:

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
To be frank, I don't really see much point in using it unless you have trouble setting up permissions to your liking. Outside of that possibility, I don't really find any use in it. I actually had to dig up a bit in Windows XP's help system (because searching over the Internet was not turning up anything useful) to see what was the point of it :laugh:
As a life long user of WinXP (& I still use them on my 2 laptops & a nettop) I can tell you that it unlikely does anything since I have hardly encountered anything that requires permissions. I think Take Ownership started with Vista or Win7. I wouldn't know, since I made the jump from WinXP straight to Win10 on my desktop exactly a year ago. I straight up hate Win10 GUI. Not as comfortable nor as friendly nor as fast as WinXP GUI. I'm just forced to use Win10 on my desktop to support the latest standards.

Last edited:
System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
To change you Account type from Standard to Administrator you first need to open Control Panel (click Start scroll down to Windows System click Control Panel)
once you have Control Panel open in the top right you see User Accounts opent that then do what is shown in the pics below
admin account.jpg

change to admin.jpg

then reboot the PC now you're the admin

System Name "The black one in the dining room" / "The Latest One"
Processor Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 16c/32t / i7 14700K @5.8GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe / ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/4 Silverstone FM121 fans / Arctic LF II 280 w Silverstone FHP141's
Memory 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 (8x8) / 64G G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 1080 Ti FTW3 / Asus Tuff OC 4090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 1TB Samsung 860, 4 Western Digital 2TB / 1tb, SK hynix P41 Platinum 2tb
Display(s) 43" Samsung 8000 series 4K / 50" Vizio M-series 4K
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 500R / Modded Corsair Graphite 780 T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i / Seasonic Prime GX-1300
Mouse Logitech Performance MX, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 3.0
Keyboard Logitech K750 Solar, DiNovo Edge
Software Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 IoT / Win 11 Pro for Workstations 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=202122048229
First attempt take ownership. Second attempt Unlocker. If that doesn't work booting into Linux Mint on a DVD or flash drive always works for deleting or swapping files in Windows.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
To change you Account type from Standard to Administrator you first need to open Control Panel (click Start scroll down to Windows System click Control Panel)
once you have Control Panel open in the top right you see User Accounts opent that then do what is shown in the pics below
View attachment 168669

View attachment 168668

then reboot the PC now you're the admin
My account type is already set to Administrator from the start.
First attempt take ownership. Second attempt Unlocker. If that doesn't work booting into Linux Mint on a DVD or flash drive always works for deleting or swapping files in Windows.
Or I could've dual-booted Win10 with WinXP but I didn't do that cuz maintaining two OS on a single desktop would've been too tedious. I'm already working to maintain my two other laptop & nettop thats keeping me occupied.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
I take it this means that I don't have to use the "Run as administrator" function anymore?

System Name System V
Case NZXT Source 210
I take it this means that I don't have to use the "Run as administrator" function anymore?
Probably not. If whatever you do happens always in non-system folders, you could probably go just fine without admin rights enabled by default.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Probably not. If whatever you do happens always in non-system folders, you could probably go just fine without admin rights enabled by default.
Got it... Thank you...