• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to quickly & easily fix coil-whine(coil choke noise)

Also, sticking one's ear up against it can be reasonably definitive.

Today's Low Tech Solution(tm)
True. As a rule that's generally how one would do it. Yet for troublesome noises that defy easy identification the method mentioned by Bill works a fair treat.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Dont think its the PSU, its a new Seasonic Titanium 850W.
It may not be - but it CAN be. Keepan open mind, as PSU's and components age these things change over time and are not something to treat as a yes/no answer.

Even if the hardware is good, some combinations just resonate specific frequencies and have issues.

Even on my GTX 1080, if i ran specific things like heaven benchmark - when you quit you get an exit screen that could hit 1000+ FPS, and the GPU whined horribly
Testing it again on the fractal, that was totally gone - the PSU made the GPU whine. Extension cables can also make it a lot worse, same as using pigtail PCI-E power cables - spreading the load helps the PSU, which reduces whine.

qfg77

I tried the super glue approach on my custom water cooled 4090 Gigabyte OC. It was super whine-y beforehand. It’s now completely silent. Thanks so much to the OP for this suggestion. I used a low viscosity super glue like they suggested.

One thing to note is that it took a few days for the glue to harden completely and for the noise to go away. I also added fat thermal pads to my backplate as it was amplifying the noise like crazy. The combination of the two, or maybe just the super glue, made the system completely silent.

One snafu I had was that super glue spread on my PCI lane and the card wouldnt boot. Fortunately, the glue didn’t harden all the way and I was able to scrape the glue from the lanes. Otherwise, glue is a bit messy on my PCB but that didn’t affect anything really.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The problem is that one voids the warrantee if one superglues the coils.

Last edited:

qfg77

The warranty was voided the moment I removed my backplate: there was a screw there with a warranty sticker on it. So anyone installing a waterblock on a GPU voids the warranty.

The problem is that one voids the warrantee if one superglues the coils.
While true, most cards/motherboards/PSUs that develop coil-whine do so after the warranty are expired.

The warranty was voided the moment I removed my backplate: there was a screw there with a warranty sticker on it. So anyone installing a waterblock on a GPU voids the warranty.
Not in NA or EU. Both regions have adopted laws that make warranty exclusion for such reasons unlawful. Anywhere else, it'll depend on the local consumer protection laws.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Here in AU, they have to prove what you did caused the fault
Water damage from liquid cooling? no warranty
Custom water cooled but the issue was the nvidia supplied power cord melted? you'd be covered

And if you're confident the glue had nothing to do with a reason for needing an RMA in the future, i'd RMA it anyway and just not mention it

Also, super glad this fixed your coil whine... it's such an annoying problem

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Not in NA or EU. Both regions have adopted laws that make warranty exclusion for such reasons unlawful. Anywhere else, it'll depend on the local consumer protection laws.

Is that a new law? :confused: Over here, according to ComputerBase from their 2020 report only Asus, EVGA, KFA & MSI allowed to disassemble a card.
Sapphire & AsRock only with "goodwill", Zotac only the first 2 years.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Is that a new law? :confused: Over here, according to ComputerBase from their 2020 report only Asus, EVGA, KFA & MSI allowed to disassemble a card.
Sapphire & AsRock only with "goodwill", Zotac only the first 2 years.
In the US, our president issued Executive Order 14036, giving the Federal Trade Commission jurisdiction to enforce the right to repair. Whether that includes disassembling GPUs or not I do not know.

It is recent in the US. Canada, the UK and the EU have had something like it on the books for longer(not sure how much longer).

Yes, you're talking about the "Right to repair" legislation. :)

However, it isn't already baked out & they are still working things out. To my knowledge it's mostly about designing products repairable & providing replacement parts for a cetrain time frame and for prices that make repairs cheaper than throwing the product away and buying a new one. It's more about reducing e-waste. Not sure if it covers self repair, but replacement parts will have also provided to "non certified" repair shops, which will drive the prices of repairs quite down.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502

For EU can you quote a source for this. I'm not doubting i just wanted to have one.

However, it isn't already baked out & they are still working things out.
No, a federal agency ruled that removing a warranty sticker and disassembling a product can not be used as a reason to invalidate a warranty, especially on products that can reasonably be expected to need servicing. Technically, under that ruling, the fix described in this thread doesn't violate warranty either as it is only adding to the product it's being applied to and not specifically altering the construction design.

For EU can you quote a source for this. I'm not doubting i just wanted to have one.
I don't know where the specific EU statues are for that, sorry. I do know that it's a part of the consumer protections laws. Maybe someone from the EU can chime in?

Last edited:
No, a federal agency ruled that removing a warranty sticker and disassembling a product can not be used as a reason to invalidate a warranty, especially on products that can reasonably be expected to need servicing. Technically, under that ruling, the fix described in this thread doesn't violate warranty either as it is only adding to the product it's being applied to and not specifically altering the construction design.

Well, that's nice for you. :D The FTC has zero jurisdiction in Europe, so they can still get away with their warranty sticker shenanigans over here.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@lexluthermiester

going to try this on my mobo if all else fails in next couple days... thread below I made if you interested. i will be making a video to share the sound later today

@lexluthermiester

going to try this on my mobo if all else fails in next couple days... thread below I made if you interested. i will be making a video to share the sound later today

This method works just as well on motherboard & PSU coils as it does GPU coils. YouTube video?

Kazuaar

Hi guys, Thank god to found you with this super glue solution for cw. I just purchased an ASUS ROG Strix 4080 for my son to Christmas,
and I'm absolutely disgusted at this sound from such a crazy expensive hardware.
Do you have a picture what parts need to be superglued on the card?
That would be a huge help because I'm not really an electronic engineer... :D
Oh, and is this glue would be ok for the procedure?
Thanks a lot!

Hi guys, Thank god to found you with this super glue solution for cw. I just purchased an ASUS ROG Strix 4080 for my son to Christmas,
and I'm absolutely disgusted at this sound from such a crazy expensive hardware.
Do you have a picture what parts need to be superglued on the card?
That would be a huge help because I'm not really an electronic engineer... :D
Oh, and is this glue would be ok for the procedure?
Thanks a lot!
Hey there, Welcome to TPU!
First point, I would highly recommend you get in touch with ASUS about this as they are generally good about warrantying cards with noisy chokes. If you take the card apart and perform this kind of modification, they might claim the warranty is void. IF because of where you live in the world a warranty claim is not possible, then let's proceed, but please take extreme care.

The following photo is from that card's review by @W1zzard here at TPU.
Make sure this is your card. If not, please take a photo of the card you have and upload it and I'll direct you on which parts are the choke coils.
ASUS ROG Strix 4080 PCB Front Choke Coils.jpg

Shown above are the main coils of concern. The SAP2 coils are designed to be fill through coils and are unlikely to be the source of the noise. However, if you find that they are, the only thing you can do it is to apply glue to the bottom of the choke as there might be a vibrations being generated from between the coil and the PCB. Makes sure to use enough to wick all the way through the spacing between the coil and the PCB.

Kazuaar

I can't tank you enough! :respect:
Probably ASUS won't accept my ticket here in Hungary... :)
By the way is the linked glue good for the process or do you suggest another one?

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
By the way is the linked glue good for the process or do you suggest another one?
It's good. Any liquid cyanoacrylate glue will do. However, you need it to be as thin as possible, which means that you need fresh glue. Avoid buying it if it's nearly expired (the shelf life is supposed to be one year). Use it in a few weeks after opening.

The glue becomes thicker over time, it's still good for other purposes then but it won't get under the coils easily, or not at all.

Last edited:

Kazuaar

It's good. Any liquid cyanoacrylate glue will do. However, you need it to be as thin as possible, which means that you need fresh glue. Avoid buying it if it's nearly expired (the shelf life is supposed to be one year). Use it in a few weeks after opening.

The glue becomes thicker over time, it's still good for other purposes but won't get under the coils easily, or not at all.
Thank you very much! :respect: By the way do I need to turn the PCB upside down to help glue to flow everywhere or just spray it into the covering cap?

You're Welcome!
I wondered if that was going to be a thing.
Yup, that stuff will be perfect.

The glue becomes thicker over time, it's still good for other purposes then but it won't get under the coils easily, or not at all.
That only happens if the lid isn't sealed well. Otherwise it stays very liquid-like for years when stored properly.