• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need a complete new system, what CPU should I get first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Button
Processor Intel Core i5-9600K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-F
Cooling Corsair H100i PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz, CL15, (Red)
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX 570 4GB OC version
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 internal SSD
Display(s) BenQ GW2270 (1920x 1080) 60 MHz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB
Power Supply Corsair RMi 850i
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
I'm not suggesting anything like that... just looking at the big picture. Some people are screaming UPGRADE PATH UPGRADE PATH, but, we don't really know. If AMD continues their trend, I would guess X570 will work with Zen2+/Zen3 (or w/e they will call it), yes. It isn't a leap of faith to think that.

All I am suggesting is since he seems to keep the PC for a while, to get the best he wants to/can afford. This, to me, means building on the X570 platform and Ryzen 3 series CPU. This way he starts off on the curve and if he wants to upgrade using AMD in 3-5 years, he can do so with either Zen2 CPU or Zen2+/Zen3 (likely). But as I said earlier... who knows what the CPU landscape will look like then. I don't like to 'lock' myself in to any platform, personally as today (finally!) we have two good options to choose from. Price, performance, and value will all change in the coming years... which is why I don't really buy the benefit of an upgrade path for many users.

Why limit yourself because you want to play one specific game now (myopic thinking there, no)? What if he wants to play other games in the next 3-5 years?

... though, maybe I am mixing up another thread too... who knows. It's coffee time. :)
You're right. Originally, I played flight simulations games. But at some stage, the development of hardcore flight simulations staled and the quality requires extreme hardware to chase up, I finally gave it up. I never regret my doing so, even up to today. A 10 years old flight simulations, was running 29 FPS and everyone was saying that's already very good. Today, I ran it with my 3570K + RX 570, it finally gives me 60+ FPS but then my enthusiasm about flight sim has long gone.

Today I find Intel very good and for the last 10 years so. But maybe at some stage I 'll be fed up with it and change to AMD. You never know.

EarthDig is right. I am keeping the PC for at least 5 years just like I do to my current rig as it is so robust. In fact, recent generations of Intel CPU lack such perseverance as those produced 7 to 8 years ago. They are not improving very much and if they continue to do so, not only me but many will begin to shift to AMD. That said, AMD's effort in working together with board manufacturers are not very well coordinated. Their BIOS are hard to manage. They have heat dissipation issues with their Ryzen 3 CPUs. But nonetheless, X570 offers a future path for preserving the money you spend today. Imagine I start with 2700X / X570, given motherboard longevity, I can put a 3600X and remove the 2700X from the X570 next month. Then next year when Star Citizen comes out I may replace the 3600X with the 3950X on the same board! That is something Intel can't offer. Apart from that, M.2 drives can fit with the PCIe 4.0 on the X570 and Radeon 5500 is coming with PCIe 4.0, all that Intel can't do anything with their 9th gen motherboard.

But then when Intel announce 10th Gen in December, everything will be changed. What impact it will be on AMD is yet to be seen, but you never know, so like EarthDog I won't confine myself to one choice only.
I could build 2 PC if I want to.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I5-8400 or i5 9400 - $120 (used off eBay or open-box etc, these parts don't go bad, I typically see examples going $100 to $130)
ASRock B365M Phantom Gaming 4 LGA 1151 - $80
GSkill DDR4 3000CL15 2x8 16GB - $70.
MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 2TB NVMe - $220
GTX 1660TI - $280
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650 - $120
Fractal Design Focus G - $55
Arctic Freezer 34 - $30
Total: $975

Last edited:
System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
At least with Corsair you can be pretty sure they will provide you a decent unit (assuming you have the sense not to buy a CX for 3 way SLI or a w3175x) and that they generally honour their warranty. You definitely aren't guaranteed to be getting something significantly worse for the money, and you can expect them not to say "hey you can only run half the wattage through that unit" 5 years down the line because there was some flaw with it.

The main reason I can't at all seriously recommend intel right now is that I don't think we can reasonably expect there not to be any more major security flaws (with more performance eroding fixes). I don't really see how you can feel "safer" with their products any more...

I've stuck with intel until pretty recently because their parts were objectively significantly better than any of the Ryzen parts for one of my main uses (x-plane), but at some point you just can't keep living on misinformation or non non-logic and take a step back...

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
You couldn't be more wrong. New games crave CPU power, ESPECIALLY BF games. Also, i3 8100 is a terrible purchase. Only 4 core 4 threads for $125. You can get a Ryzen 2600 for that with 6 core 12 threads.
Have you ever used Intel system before? I have used Intel, then AMD and lastly back to Intel. Intel platforms are easy to manage and relatively trouble free.

That depends on the game. Many modern games are very CPU intensive. In fact, the gaming industry is a primary factor driving the ever increasing demand for 12 (and more) core processors.
I see the trend, so one has to fix his/her requirement or more precisely, expectations. If you play 1080 today and want to play 4K 3 months later after the whole rig is upgraded, then you are going to spend unlimited money. Honestly I don't have that money. I am happy with 1080 and 1440 doesn't move me at all. My desk doesn't support that much space either so, I feel being lucky about that.

I also generally prefer Intel CPU's over AMD. If I was upgrading right now I would go for the 9900K. If I couldnt afford it, I wouldnt consider an Intel CPU at all. The Ryzen CPU's are far better value long term IMO. The extra threads will surely come in handy a few years down the line. Honestly, I would go for a GPU first. You mentioned that you were surprised by your CPU doing 58FPS, im pretty sure that the RX570 or Ram was the bottleneck and that the CPU is capable of around 70FPS in that title without overclocking.

You're absolutely right about the 70FPS as I saw another video which has teh 3570 overlocked to 4.5! He must be using some sort of custom water cooling. IT really runs at 70+ FPS. Amazing.

In fact I am open to all options. I just happen to have read too many threads about temperature problems, BIOS issues and instability of the new 3000 CPUs which makes me very worried about building a system out of the AMD CPUs. I do not mind to spend $1000 to build a system which works just out of the box with the minimal post-sales effort because I am not a PC expert in any way. And I wish to have that overclock capability sort of a reserved features and it better be one-click only thingy to work with, don't ask me to check the timings, latency, speed of a RAM kit to accomplish a few hundred MHz boosts just for getting 5 to 6 additional FPS no matter that is a Intel or an AMD CPU.

If it works, I am more than willing to spend that sum of money and sure I will be happy with it for the next 3 to 4 years to come. But if it works like sh?t or trash, not even 1 pence I would like to throw into it. That's my objective and expectations.

I don't like others saying that this is a troll. And I like to say that I come here with no other intentions but to gather some opinions and suggestions as part of my research for my next build, either it be an Intel or AMD I really don't quite see which one is yet. But I would appreciate some respects from others and try not divide the community.

I did not read most of the replies. I did read all of your posts and concluded that what you stated is what you are leaning toward, and in part, that includes quality components, and the right components that will project your build to last 5 years or more.

I started working in the computer industry about 35 years ago and used computers prior to that. Over the decades I have enjoyed working with hardware and hardware diagnostics. I have also enjoyed fringe work from overclocking to delidding CPUs. I have found that no one person has all of the answers and that has lead me to a never ending quest for knowledge regarding computers from technical manuals to watching YouTube videos. I have diagnosed, repaired, designed or built everything from servers to HEDTs.

With that out of the way and with your gaming / compute needs in mind with an emphasis on gaming, I suggest you purchase the most expensive CPU that you can afford. Because you will not be tinkering with the BIOS very much, if any including no overclocking, I suggest you purchase an i9 9900, not the K version, you will not be overclocking so you can save some money there. You also should get a high quality motherboard. I am not going to get into the pros and cons of every board here, that would take a two hour video and I am not going to type a book. So, I suggest the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming Ultra, the reason is it has a great hardware to utilize four DIMMs or sticks of RAM, something that not all motherboards support, it also has very good VRMs and makes proper use of them to provide outstanding stability. You may prefer B die RAM however it is not needed with that CPU, just good 3000 to 4000 RAM with lower, tighter, timings, though the most expensive is not needed. CAS 16 for 3200 or CAS 18 3600 RAM is fine, here again I will not get into specifics as this comment will be long enough as it is. There are several good options here. I suggest you start with four sticks of 8GB Crucial Ballistix or G.Skill Flare X if you think you may switch to AMD in the future and want to carry over the RAM with absolute confidence it will work. Two generations from now AMD is supposed to support DDR5 however I suspect it and DDR-4 will be supported with Ryzen 4. I have used both Crucial and Flare X for years.

There are a number of good quality power supplies on the market. I suggest a 650 watt Corsair or 650/660 watt Seasonic silver or higher 80 PLUS rating for either PSU. Many people argue that the higher 80 PLUS rating is a waste of money because it may not pay for itself with lower power bills due to better efficiency. However, those people may not realize that a higher 80 PLUS rating requires higher quality components, and that is my reasoning, quality. It is that quality that ensures a cleaner supply of electricity to the computer and long life.

Storage. Intel 2TB 660p NVMe SSD. It is relatively inexpensive and fast.

Video card: MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X To game at high FPS expect to replace one component within five or six years of computer use, the video card. When the Nvidia 5080 or AMD counterpart becomes available it will probably be time to upgrade that single component.

CPU cooler: For an eight to 12 core CPU, Noctua U-12S or U12A, the latter cools a little better and clears sticks of RAM better, both rival or outperform 240mm water cooling, and water coolers come with the possibility of the impeller going bad or other possible problems.

Case: I suggest a high airflow mid tower that uses large fans and with the dimensions required to install a moderately large high quality CPU air cooler and a high quality large video card. Large coolers provide better cooling and yield longer life to the CPU and GPU.

A note about motherboards for AMD, get a high end X570. You do not need the most expensive, however lower end boards are fine for low to mid range Ryzen 3000 series CPUs, however, as you add more stress through a higher core count quality boards yield less headaches, in fact I expect $140 motherboards to not function properly or fail with a Ryzen 3900X. Always look to the future.

Regarding Intel motherboards. The 10000 series motherboards next year will have a higher pin count, which will necessitate a different MB and more importantly the silicon will be new which means teething problems. Expect to be a beta tester for Intel if you purchase a 10000 series CPU and motherboard early on. The higher pin count should facilitate higher clocks and more cores more effectively, just be careful about early adoption.

Why get a high end CPU? For future games. Some games use eight cores or threads currently with a few that can use more. If you want to make sure you are purchasing a computer that will last five years you need to look into the future of gaming.

It is true that four cores and eight threads are for the most part fine for today, however not for the future. It is highly likely next generation gaming consoles will use 64 bit eight core AMD CPUs. That means game creators will be writing code for those systems and many of those games will be ported over to PCs, which in turn, means utilization of more cores.

To some degree I face the same dilemma that you find yourself in regarding a CPU. I am currently using an i7 7700K overclocked to 4.8GHz, it will do 5.2GHz but found the extra MHz is not needed for gaming at the moment. For example, while playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare beta, with all graphics maxed out except shadows, I was averaging around 225 FPS with the 7700K and my MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X at 1080p. I have a 165Hz 1080p 32 inch monitor.

Finally, regarding a computer I am under the impression that you are not constrained by finances as you indicated in your above post, if so, please let me know. Also please take into consideration that I place great emphasis on high quality hardware.

You should be able to find information on much of the above through google searches or on YouTube. Please disregard any errors in grammar and spelling because I did not proof read this.
Your opinions and suggestions are the most constructive ones.
Since you've mentioned Gigabyte Motherboard which I see it being used in many many build YouTube videos. Which aspect is most recommendable about this model? How is ti compared with Asrock and Asus?
For PSU I have the same thought as you, and I intend to get 750W for a higher ceiling, playing safe.
I am surprised you didn't recommend 3000 MHz/CL 15, why?

About M.2, what do you think about the Sabrent?

As to the Gfx card, I have the following thinking, please comment. As you might agree with me that motherboards are relatively lasting compared to other components inside the PC. The second would be the CPU, RAM kit the third and M.2 the fourth. Now I like to say the Gfx is the hottest apart from the VRMs. Is that will die faster? So if I purchased the top model, and it doesn't last for say 2 years then it would be a big waste wouldn't it?

It's the cat mouse game bud.

No matter what you buy today, it's dated tomorrow. Literally (just about)....

So you've proven yourself, you don't need a big bad i 9900K Beast. Will you get higher frame rates, yes.
The question becomes budget. Lasting 5 years ect. Well to help realize that in 5 years, your hardware will likely be just fine and do it's job, but the video card will also then be a generation or two old. So again, you'll be in the same exact spot your in now.....

There are so many good configurations of hardware. You could litterally buy two mid ranged gaming cards, run SLI or Crossfire and make some good frame rates. This path of upgrade is getting what you can afford now, upgrade it cheaper a year later down the road, get higher frame rates at some less percentage of costs....

So a few titles can run 8 cores up on a load. So any 8 core cpu is going to suit your needs. In 5 years, it won't be likely that games will use 16 threads while both AMD and Intel support SMT and HT.

In reality, it's much easier to help you build with a solid number to work with... what's your true budget?
I see your point. As far as a graphics card goes, it will either fail due to persisting heat or outdated one way or the other. So I am pretty much prepared to get that replaced every two to two and a half years as part of the maintenance just like the case fans and the AIO LCS.

The best strategy seems to be dividing the budget into two parts. One for parts that comparatively have longer lifespan. The other is for shorten lifespan ones.

He prefers the stutterfest experience of high 50s FPS i guess (x

I remember my first laptop playing BF3 I did everything in my power to get stable 60+ FPS, but I guess some people think differently.
Actually in my test yesterday, the audio stutters. But I am sure a brand new system will have that removed.

I just had a similar conversation on another site about PSUs (Corsairs specifically). I said, brand loyalty is pretty much human nature. I think most of us are that way - going both ways. That is, we stick with brands that have served us well, but we also avoid brands that didn't.

But that's not always the best policy - especially in competitive markets where brands continually "leap-frog" over each other, taking turns being in the lead.

And of course, markets change, as do company leaderships and policies. Corsair is certainly not the only company that used to be untouchable, but sat on their laurels and either changed in a bad way, or didn't change and adjust then failed to keep up with the competition. Intel was king and thought they were invincible. Then AMD leap-frogged over it. It took over 10 years for Intel to leap-frog back into the lead and for sure, AMD is constantly nipping at their heels again - with some models leading in their class.

That, of course, is all good for promoting and creating incentives for competition. And competition is always good for us consumers.

I added, IMO, that holds true for CPUs too.

For some, I agree. But clearly some pick Company A's product just because they hate Company B.

Better "value"? I have a problem with statements like this. What does "value" really mean? I think it is different for everyone. Yes, most Intels cost more compared to the AMD in that class. But the CPU is just one component in the computer. Factor in the cost of the motherboard, RAM, case, PSU, drives, cooler, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, Windows and application licenses, then spread those costs over the 3 - 5 year (or longer) life expectancy of the computer, and is the "value" that much different?

You're right about the competition between AMD and Intel. Frankly, if it is not deem necessary, I will not purchase either of them. My GPU died this morning; checker pattern for 1 minute then blank screen not signals. PSU has been activating Anti-Surge 3 times in the last two weeks. out of the 6 USB ports at the back panel, one is sluggish I would pronounce it dying practically. But then give Reuben (I gave each of my build a name) a break, it has been keeping me a company for the last 5 years and 10 months now. Everything has a season.

I will miss my 3570K if one day it sudden dies. It is a great CPU. And I will miss this P8Z77 Deluxe too, it's a great board. I will keep the 3570K. And I don't really feel any 9th gen Intel CPU is my thing. Objectively speaking, AMD has real problems. Has AMD ever consider how many people are and will be building their own PC and use them on a daily basis for gaming? Make life easier for these people if that is possible because a certain percentage of them are not computer experts. And fix the thermal issues and the BIOS if she wants more Intel users to switch over to AMD. And if Intel is going to use that bl**dy sales strategy as if saying "If you don't choose Intel you really have no other choices", I will have no hesitation AT ALL, to switch to AMD in a heartbeat! I really will do that by building 2 systems and compare them.

There are really nothing worth buying right now.

At least with Corsair you can be pretty sure they will provide you a decent unit (assuming you have the sense not to buy a CX for 3 way SLI or a w3175x) and that they generally honour their warranty. You definitely aren't guaranteed to be getting something significantly worse for the money, and you can expect them not to say "hey you can only run half the wattage through that unit" 5 years down the line because there was some flaw with it.

The main reason I can't at all seriously recommend intel right now is that I don't think we can reasonably expect there not to be any more major security flaws (with more performance eroding fixes). I don't really see how you can feel "safer" with their products any more...

I've stuck with intel until pretty recently because their parts were objectively significantly better than any of the Ryzen parts for one of my main uses (x-plane), but at some point you just can't keep living on misinformation or non non-logic and take a step back...
Have you seen some back streets PSU possibly importd from China, they are ony 60% of their claimed wattage. So a 650W practically works like a 390W!!

The best thing to do is to keep exchanging information between AMD and Intel so we all know which one is better and which one has something the other doesn't. Above all, we vote by paying the cheque for either one or both to pressure them to make better products.

At the present moment, unless one has immediate needs to build a new system, otherwise neither AMD nor Intel worth the money!!!

Last edited:
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Have you seen some back streets PSU possibly importd from China, they are ony 60% of their claimed wattage. So a 650W practically works like a 390W!!
I have and I've disassembled a lot of them as well, though I've never heard of or seen one with a Corsair badge on it...

As for the rest, I don't see where you get the idea there are mass problems with BIOSes, temperatures, or instability... As I think I mentioned earlier in the thread there have been some *isolated* issues with a few boards on specific BIOSes, but from what I've seen a lot have also been resolved in the first few months after release.

I've run my 3600 with both the stock cooler and my U14s and have had way better temperatures than I've had on any recent intel parts... Nothing like the struggle that is cooling a 7700k at even a modest 1.31-1.35v or having to delid my 4790k to get 300MHz more...

As for stability, I haven't had a problem with *any* CPU from any side in ages... Beyond stuff like DoA parts I haven't heard of it either, so I don't know where you are getting that idea from...

System Name Ryzen 1
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB Patriot Viper 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) AMD RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage SSD's
Display(s) HP X32 32" 1440p 165Hz
Case Phanteks P400A
Power Supply Superflower Leadex III 750w
Intel platforms are easy to manage and relatively trouble free.
Can we just stop the thread now. Just lock it please before the stupidity gets out of hand.

System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
Originally I thought this was a troll post but after reading more of the Op comments a slight lack of knowledge about the current PC landscape seems more accurate.

What I would recommend if like you mentioned money is not an issue.

Screenshot (73).png

A 2080S would obviously make the most sense replacing the Titan Xp.

The 3900X gets my nod though if I had to recommend one of my CPU over the others for 3 reasons.

1. Run's much cooler than the 9900k with a similar cpu heatsink.
2. Much better overall platform. (pcie gen 4/16 core future upgrade compatibility)
3. Faster at everything but gaming but unless you also plan to buy the 2080 ti in the 3rd build of my screenshot that is irrelevant and the only scenario where the 9900k makes sense.

To a lesser degree this all applies to the 3700X vs the 9700k and the 3600 vs the 9600k your're getting substantially more general purpose cpu power at a typical less than 5% difference in gaming

like many I've used intel for over a decade in all my main PC but over the last 3 years nearly every PC I've done for people with limited budgets (800-$1200) have been ryzen because both in performance and predicted longevity they have been better than intel at below $300 since launch pretty much. Now with Ryzen 3000 intel has 2 mainstream cpu that make sense a 9700k or 9900k with the locked version not making a whole lot of sense to me unless they're $50-100 cheaper. I would worry about the 9700k longevity considering it only has 8 threads and therefore would not recommend it but in 3 years if it is still doing well awesome. To me even before the 3600 the 8600k/9600k was mostly dead as a recommendation due to the fact that in some game engines it really struggles with 1% lows and I expect that to only get worse with time. The 2600 is a much safer bet with all GPU up to a 2070S and lets be real most people buying a sub $200 CPU are not buying a $700+ gpu. The 3600 kills the i5 lineup although I expect intel to add hyperthreading on their next i5 although it's pretty sad that AMD is the only reason intel seems to be making any progress as of late with price/performance.

The 9900k is an awesome CPU on the other hand but like I mentioned before it really only makes sense paired with a 2080 ti because with a 2080 tier gpu or lower you're paying a lot for little to no gain over a 3700X.

Anyways that is my 2 cents.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
you can upgrade to i5 FK 9th gen, its on good cost deal, and for the gpu i afraid you need to spend alot for cyber punk high/ultra preset, even curent gpu is struggle to run 1080p/2k on ultra preset 60hz on highend videgame triple A rated, other optional think you best bet is running on 4k but in medium preset, anyway for a temporary used i would recommend rx5700xt/rtx series:)
He cant upgrade with his current motherboard, and cyberpunk is not even out yet, it wont come out until next year. Dont give out horrible advise.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
huh say what, read the title description before spat nonsense, however since when i give an advise...its not advise its litteraly sugestion, i dont say he must or indeed buy an intel 9th, end of story im out, this is just a waste of time
offtopc:i just realize theres few ingnorant or imbecile try to pull the string recently but worry not, im cool as always, bloop:)
I meant to say that he cant upgrade to 9th gen intel cpu with this current mobo, he would have to get a new mobo and ddr4 memory, his current memory is ddr3.
But I dont even think the OP knows what he wants.

System Name just ordinary potato system, but dont understimate potato..
Processor ryzen raven ridge 2200g, ryzen 2600 upgrade:)
Motherboard msi b350 pc mate, biostars a320, asrock ab350m micro
Cooling x2 cheap china handmade, i got plenty aigo/fantech rgb fans now heh
Memory klevv dual channel 8gb 3000mhz, trident 16gb 3600mhz, random ddr2 stick
Video Card(s) back to square, using vega 56 now:D
Storage wd green ssd 240gb, 3tb seagate expnasion, random laptop hdd x4, 1tb 3.5
Display(s) acer vgo 22inch fullhd 75hz
Case cheap segotep/dazumba mid atx, alcatroz mini atx
Audio Device(s) genius retro wood style, harman kardon stick iii
Power Supply be quite system power9, powerlogic standar, voltron 300fx, thermaltake smart 1200w
Mouse rexus, genius ps/2, powerlogic ps/2 ball tracking
Keyboard rexus, random china product x3
Software talking abt best software, autodesk/unity3d/notepad yes notepad!!
Benchmark Scores theres nothing to brag abt potato, but it can run decent 30fps fullhd with good setting:)
I meant to say that he cant upgrade to 9th gen intel cpu with this current mobo, he would have to get a new mobo and ddr4 memory, his current memory is ddr3.
But I dont even think the OP knows what he wants.
okey its good worry not cheers:toast:

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
okey its good worry not cheers:toast:
I thought your post said he can upgrade to 9th gen with his current mobo.
I dont even think he said his budget. I wont bother with this anymore.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Have you ever used Intel system before? I have used Intel, then AMD and lastly back to Intel. Intel platforms are easy to manage and relatively trouble free.
I think he is not saying Intel platforms are troublemakers but there are games that use more than 4c4t. Honestly I would never go 4c8t nowadays. 6c is absolute minimum and to be more on a secure side I'd go 6c12t that is why suggestions for the system go with 3600 Ryzen. Besides, you wont have any trouble with Ryzen. What you have to remember, it's a new platform so it's obvious there migh be some Bios updates for the boards and driver updates. For the past 10 years with Intel it was stable but also stagnation. New release bringing nothing new just a little bump in speed that's all.
My suggestion is simple. Look around what's in the market and pick your platform. I suggest 6c12t and with the GPU, 1080p 144FPS, 1660 nor rx 580 will push that much so depends how much cash you want to spend for the GPU. I suggest Ryzen cause it has better value and is cheaper from intel with what it offers in the same price range in general, offers more cores and maybe you will be able to buy better graphics. It is hard to say you are upgrading your platform and you go with 4c4t/8t CPU considering your current one.
Look at the price point for Intel and AMD platforms and pick one. I'd also wait till next year with the purchase of the platform. You can still buy GPU you want now unless you want to wait as well. But if 1660Ti or rx 580 suits your needs go and buy it now. It will work with your current platform well.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
I think he is not saying Intel platforms are troublemakers but there are games that use more than 4c4t. Honestly I would never go 4c8t nowadays. 6c is absolute minimum and to be more on a secure side I'd go 6c12t that is why suggestions for the system go with 3600 Ryzen. Besides, you wont have any trouble with Ryzen. What you have to remember, it's a new platform so it's obvious there migh be some Bios updates for the boards and driver updates. For the past 10 years with Intel it was stable but also stagnation. New release bringing nothing new just a little bump in speed that's all.
My suggestion is simple. Look around what's in the market and pick your platform. I suggest 6c12t and with the GPU, 1080p 144FPS, 1660 nor rx 580 will push that much so depends how much cash you want to spend for the GPU. I suggest Ryzen cause it has better value and is cheaper from intel with what it offers in the same price range in general, offers more cores and maybe you will be able to buy better graphics. It is hard to say you are upgrading your platform and you go with 4c4t/8t CPU considering your current one.
Look at the price point for Intel and AMD platforms and pick one. I'd also wait till next year with the purchase of the platform. You can still buy GPU you want now unless you want to wait as well. But if 1660Ti or rx 580 suits your needs go and buy it now. It will work with your current platform well.
Thanks for your advice. After this lengthy discussions with so many replies I'm getting somewhere now, I didn't have any idea what to get at the beginning that's true. Really appreciate all of your replies.

I can understand why you recommend Ryzen from a technical point of view. Price/Performance is really hard to justify somehow. Set aside non-technical factors, Intel has brought in some 4c/4t and 6c/6t chips which are less mentioned. For instance, you can o/c an i3-8350K to 5.0GHz sticking to 1.35V threshold. If you play LoL you won't actually find any difference between an i3 and i5 running the same clock speed. I think that's where Intel finds her edge, she invest in clock speed which is what delivers the horsepower.

Anyhow, thanks to all who have provided so much information and some insights.

Case FD Define 7
If you play LoL you won't actually find any difference between an i3 and i5 running the same clock speed.
You can give league of legends any hardware and it will tank like nothing else in teamfights...

The clock speeds mean nothing when the zen2 core has more throughput per cycle and completes many common operations in less cycles than the intel counterparts...

Just to give you an idea of the throughput of the cores

The top 7700k score was at 5GHz, the 3600 boosts to ~4075-4100 during cinebench. I get very close to 50% extra performance (same performance per core) on the zen 2 part...

Last edited:
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Thanks for your advice. After this lengthy discussions with so many replies I'm getting somewhere now, I didn't have any idea what to get at the beginning that's true. Really appreciate all of your replies.

I can understand why you recommend Ryzen from a technical point of view. Price/Performance is really hard to justify somehow. Set aside non-technical factors, Intel has brought in some 4c/4t and 6c/6t chips which are less mentioned. For instance, you can o/c an i3-8350K to 5.0GHz sticking to 1.35V threshold. If you play LoL you won't actually find any difference between an i3 and i5 running the same clock speed. I think that's where Intel finds her edge, she invest in clock speed which is what delivers the horsepower.

Remember the clock speed is done for now. It will not get any faster actually now you will see lower clocks with every new gen of processors. Perf/value the Ryzen is king in my opinion. Going with I3 now would be a downgrade for you. Don't look only for frequency. It's been 10 years since no improvement in core department so the frequency was valued more. Now the things are different. I wouldn't go for a CPU because the frequency is high. I'd rather look for the cores available. This is the future and believe me there are many people here, who bought I7 7700k and now they are saying it was a bad idea. Think about that. It may look like the I3 is fast enough now but think for how long these 2c/4c will be enough when there are games already using 6c. It is only matter of time when developers start utilizing more cores cause they wont be able to count on frequency boost cause this is not happening.

This is actually a good comparison. Watch the video. You have I3 8350K vs 7700K paired with GTX 1060.

Both CPUs are doing well but one of them is basically done for. I3 8350K's utilization is reaching 100%. It is becoming a bottleneck and these games are not the brand new ones which means the I3 is losing ground in games now. It can't keep-up with the 1060. If you get 1660 or 1660 Ti it will not be able to handle it. Imagine what will happen in like 3-6 months with new games? I know for a fact there are games the 7700K struggles. Since you want to play 1080p 144hz monitor, the I3 is the worst you can get. You will need more power with your CPU.

Here you have I5 9600k vs 3600 Ryzen paired with 2080. (Don't look at the first game cause it is crap and shows GPU utilization 50% on both and Hitman as well.) but you have BF 5 here.

I5 9600k 6c6t. Sooner or later it wont be enough. If you insist on Intel processor I'd go 9700k at least but as you know that comes with a price so you tell me which platform is better :)

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
As this is going to be predominantly a gaming rig with a realistic competitive lifespan of 3-5 years I personally see little point in going 3900X or even 9900K, I would probably suggest a CPU up to either a 3700X or a 9700K but it seems that the OP is swamped in the scope of what is on offer, if I was building a complete new build from pretty much scratch today, personally, despite my last 6 CPU's being intel I would likely opt for the 3700X solution, likely matched with a good B450 board, that way in my logic you get a balanced system in terms of both price and performance. If, like the OP (currently), I wanted to stay intel for whatever reason I would likely go 9700K with a mid ranged Z390 board but @andiey ……… here is the thing, you will pay more for likely no noticeable performance difference.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Over 90 posts in... dude has PLENTY of information to make an informed decision. It's up to him at this point really...

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I suggested a build above that would accomplish the budget gamer aspect.
i5 8400/9400 are quite cheap, you can get one for $100 to $130 off eBay if you time it right. Pair it with a B365M Phantom Gaming, which can be had for $80. I haven't felt the need for more cores or threads in the past 2 years. When I do feel that need for more cores or threads, I'd just do a new system at that time, might be a few more years at this rate. Buy for today, not for four years from now. Videocard is more important for gaming long term than the CPU, too much attention is being paid to a part that doesn't matter much for his needs. ~$120 cpu will give you the same performance in game as any of the $300 options people are spitting out in this thread. You can buy a B365 motherboard, 16GB ram, i5 6 core CPU, and a heatsink fan for the same price as a $300 CPU.

Last edited:
I moved from an 8 year old ivy bridge i7-3770 system to a Ryzen 5 3600 recently. However, I've always thought of Intel's system to be easier to use and their drivers are also dead simple to use, along with better driver support vs AMD. But my experience building the new Ryzen system was pretty good, I didn't OC, there were no issues after reinstalling Windows. All I did was go into BIOS to enable XMP and tweak my RAM speeds a bit.

Price/performance wise, AMD is the king right now. Both Intel and AMD give you really smooth and responsive systems. As people have said, AMD has really caught up to Intel, especially with Ryzen 3rd gen. But if you have the money and strongly prefer Intel, a new Intel 9th gen system will also give you a really smooth system that will last you 5 years at least. It's all up to your preference really, and how much money you are willing to spend.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar

Some of you are right.
Running 3570K at stock Turbo 3.6GHz, average FPS was 60
After o/c to 4.2GHz (just one click in the BIOS), average FPS was nearly 90 FPS, a delta of nearly 30 FPS.

30/600 = 5 FPS per 100 MHz gain.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim

Some of you are right.
Running 3570K at stock Turbo 3.6GHz, average FPS was 60
After o/c to 4.2GHz (just one click in the BIOS), average FPS was nearly 90 FPS, a delta of nearly 30 FPS.

30/600 = 5 FPS per 100 MHz gain.
Yep. No surprise here. When I had my 3770k and OC it, I did get a boost in FPS as well.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
Yep. No surprise here. When I had my 3770k and OC it, I did get a boost in FPS as well.
Would that apply to current Intel gen and Ryzen 3000 CPUs?

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Would that apply to current Intel gen and Ryzen 3000 CPUs?
Sure it would although that also depends on the game. 3000 series Ryzen do not OC well. It is better to leave the boosting to the processor but you can OC ram speed depending on what speed you will get with your build. Moving from 3000Mhz to 3600Mhz makes a difference. The sweet spot I think is still 3200Mhz 3444Mhz. For intel you need a processor with unlocked multiplier. On the other hand the Modern CPUs are powerful enough so the OC will not give you that much but that also depends on the processor you will get and the graphics card and resolution you will use. There's few variables in that equation.

System Name Button
Keyboard Cougar Vantar
Looks like Intel does better running this game: Star Citizen

Maybe a 6c6t will do

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Looks like Intel does better running this game: Star Citizen

Maybe a 6c6t will do

Sure. You know that this game has been in development for a long while now (8 years i think) and never been finished. There are games where Ryzen is faster than Intel. You should not be judging a processor with 1 game. It can be something you consider cause for instance you play the game the most but that's basically it. It is always your call which platform you will pick for yourself.
6c6t will do but remember that games will no longer depend on boosts frequency cause this is not happening. The performance must come from something else. Core and threads utilization is the next step in performance gain when the new, more powerful GPUs show up and would require more processing power. 6c6t may not be sufficient. For Certain games 6c is a bare minimum now. Utilization of more core is becoming an upward trend. Think about that when you pick the platform which you want to use for 2-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.