• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i5-8250u throttling only when running on battery?

Hi everyone,
I have a Mi notebook Pro with a i5-8250u on board.
I've been using throttlestop for a long time, and I've never been able to understand why the notebook throttles (PL2-EDP OTHER) only when running on battery, but just after plugging in it stops doingI've guessed it's a "feature" to limit power consumption, because it seems to throttle less when running on a fully charged battery.
It's not really a problem cause I use it plugged in when I need more performance, I'd just like to know if it's normal and why it happens.
Screenshots of my configuration are attached
Thanks everyone
Screenshot (65).pngScreenshot (66).pngScreenshot (67).pngScreenshot (68).pngScreenshot (69).png

Nobody has an idea?
I've attached the log file of a benchmark done while on battery.

Attachments

• Log.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 88

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Full load testing while on battery power is a good way to permanently damage your battery or shorten its lifespan. Battery power is more for light duty tasks.

Your laptop might be trying to force the PL2 power limit to protect the battery. Using ThrottleStop to try and go beyond this limit should be avoided. The 8250U has a 15W TDP rating. Trying to get 30W out of it while on battery power is going way beyond what the manufacturer intended.

Yeah I guessed so. I've never really full load tested when on battery, only for 10/15 sec to see if it kept throttling, I just couldn't confirm my assumptions. Anyway my battery is doing pretty well, 15% wear after more than 2 years, can't really complain about that. Thanks for your answer sir!