• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i9 12900hk (Dell XPS 15 9520)

Astrophobe

Hi,
I am fiddling with my i9 12900HK in a Dell XPS 9520. After disabling virtualisation etc. I am able to get a stable -110mV undervolt. Only issue is that the multipliers I set are not working. If I set them in XTU everything is okay and the CPU is running at 5.3Ghz. Putting this multipliers in Throttelstop won´t get the CPU beyond 5Ghz. I am in Dells Ultra Performance mode and High Performance power profile.
Another thing is that locking the mimo feature in the TPL settings works but if I restart, I had to do a hard reset as the screen will stay black.
Did I set something wrong?

TS main.pngTS TPL.pngTS Fivr.png

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The FIVR monitoring table shows that Speed Shift EPP is set to 128. This can interfere with maximum performance. You have the Windows Balanced power plan checked. If this power plan is setting EPP to 128 then I would look at modifying this power plan. The typical EPP value for Balanced is 84. The EPP setting is hidden within the power plan. Let me know if you are interested in adjusting this.

Check the Speed Shift box in the TPL window and adjust Speed Shift Max to 53. After you do that, run a 1 Thread TS Bench test to load the CPU. See what ThrottleStop reports for the maximum multiplier. Show me a screenshot of that test while the CPU is loaded. Press the Mod column header on the main screen so I can see the CPU ID information instead. If you want the 53 multiplier when lightly loaded, it is best to set the turbo ratio limits to 53 when 1, 2 or 3 cores are active. Windows background tasks tend to interfere with the maximum multiplier.

I prefer to set the Core and Cache IccMax to the maximum, 255.75.

I am not sure why the MMIO Lock feature would cause a black screen. Maybe your voltage settings are too aggressive. Try setting all of your offset voltages back to 0 mV, check the MMIO Lock box, sleep resume, and see if you still get a black screen.

When you have Windows, some Dell software and ThrottleStop all trying to control your CPU at the same time, it is possible that there could be some conflicts. I do not own a 12900HK so there is no way for me to do any hands on testing to see what parts of ThrottleStop work correctly and which ones don't. Another user with a 12900HK did some testing for me and he did not report any problems.

No need to check the Clock Mod box. Most recent CPUs no longer use this throttling method.

Astrophobe

Thank´s for your rapid answer! Your dedication to this app is unbeliveable.

Regarding Speed Shift and the multiplier I did what you suggested . I also raised to IccMax to 255.75A. Max multiplier was 49.84 to 49.9. I uninstalled the Dell Power manager but multiplier would stay at about 50. I played with EPP settings a lot and nothing changed the max multiplier. Funny thing is that XTU could change it.
It´s good to know that the 12900HK should work properly so the problem is on my side or some hidden Dell setting.

Regarding the mimo rebooting problem: I reset my undervolt and could reproduce the failure. If the box is checked, after rebooting the screen stays black. I havbe to hold down power button to reset and the laptop starts some "repair" mode for about 30seconds. Then it restarts and everything works as before.

I think I maybe have to wait a little longer to see if things will change as the laptop is quite new to the market...

TS Bench.png

unclewebb

Thanks for doing some more testing. This is starting to make some sense.

The MMIO Lock option also contains some code to unlock the maximum multiplier. This works correctly on 11th Gen and previous CPUs but might not work correctly on your 12th Gen mobile CPU. Without access to any documentation or 12th Gen hardware, it will probably be difficult or impossible to properly test this feature and get it working correctly on your 12900HK.

If you want to help with development, can you run Dump.exe

This program will create a file called Dump.txt which will contain the values of many of the important registers in your CPU. You can attach Dump.txt to your next post or send it to me in a message. I might get lucky and notice something different compared to previous gen CPUs. If you do not feel comfortable running a sketchy looking program like Dump then I understand. Even with this info, I am not sure if I will be able to solve this problem.

Astrophobe

I love running sketchy code from forums :) I attached the dump file to this post. If you like I could sent you my extracted BIOS with overclocking settings as I first tried it via EFI shell. I did that with my XPS 9560 with i7 7700HQ CPU but Alder Lake seems different...
Feel free for more information. Even if you don´t solve it, it may help you improving your app :)

Attachments

• Dump.txt
    167.5 KB · Views: 108

unclewebb

Dump is a sketchy looking program written by a guy named Dufus from Notebook Review. Without his infinite help, ThrottleStop would have died when Intel introduced their FIVR back when the 4th Gen was released. I have used and trusted his sketchy looking tools for many years. :)

I could send you my extracted BIOS
Thanks for the offer but for me that is "too much information". I am a smart guy but not that smart.

I had a quick look at the Dump file and nothing is jumping out at me yet. It will probably be a while before I get some new 12th Gen hardware so I can try and figure this out.

Thanks for helping me out.

Astrophobe

I have to thank you for trying everyone to get their stuff running! If you need anything in the future, just ask.

Dever

Hello Astrophobe, I have a Dell XPS 15 9520 i9 12900hk but I'm not able to unlock voltages control in Throttlestop, XTU or any other softwares. Could you please tell me how you managed to unlock it? My laptop is two days old and my CPU reaches 100 degrees and always activates thermal throttling. Please guys help me. Thank you!

unclewebb

@Dever
Post a screenshot of the FIVR window. Have you disabled the Windows 11 virtualization features?

Dever

Yes I've disabled virtualization following the preocedure online. Here are the screenshots. Thank you.
1655247459656.png

1655247492448.png

unclewebb

The basic procedure for unlocking CPU voltage control is explained here.

I have no idea if this procedure will work on your laptop. It is the BIOS that sets the lock bit. This cannot be unlocked after you boot up into Windows so ThrottleStop and XTU will not work as is. CPU voltage control can only be unlocked before Windows boots up.

Astrophobe

Hi,
have you disabled virtualisation in Bios? I have tried to set the bits in Bios but setting the variable for "overclocking feature" locks all cores to 400Mhz so I disabled it again.

I have tried to set the bits in Bios but setting the variable for "overclocking feature" locks all cores to 400Mhz so I disabled it again.
The proper way is to DISABLE "CFG Lock" and "Overclocking Lock" !!!! Pay attention,as the "overclocking feature"(which MUST remain disabled) is a compeltely different option then the "Overclocking Lock" !!!!!!

Dever

First of all thank you all for your answers. I have not disabled virtualization in Bios but I only
  1. Click Device security​
  2. Select the Core isolation details link to the right.​
  3. Move the Memory integrity toggle to the Off position.​
  4. Restart your computer.​
Isn't that the right way to disable virtualization?

Astrophobe I just want to ask you how did you manage to unlock the CPU voltage settings. We have the exact same laptop but everything is blocked from the Bios for mine.

Did you follow the procedure posted by unclewebb or maybe you did something else? CPU voltage settings are grayed out in Throttlestop, XTU or any other softwares most probably due to a Bios block.

Thank you all again for your help!

Astrophobe

Hi, I did play with Bios at first (that is what is described in the link.) This worked with my 9560 but not any longer so I put back everything I set (<-this is wrong! I didn't reset. See post #17)

To get Throttlestop working you have to disable virtualization in Bios too.

You have to enter Bios-setup during boot by hitting F2 (don´t forget the Fn-key ) rapidly after starting.

In Bios you have to disable the virtualization (VT-d etc.)

What you did is necessary in windows but you need the Bios settings as well.

This is all what I did and it works really well with undervolt and TDP settings. I could tell you mine, if you got it working but had to add that I repasted my laptop with Liquid Metal (yes, I was careful and have done this many times before).

Only thing missing is changing the multipliers. Don´t know why. It´s working via XTU.
I hope you get it working. Feel free to ask.

My Bios settings in "Virtualization Support" looks like this:

Bios.jpg

I attached my CB r23 result with 125mV undervolt, PL1 at 115W and PL2 at 120. I also use a little laptop stand in which I mounted a fan. The wattage in multi looks like a little wave :) as it went down at first because of the fans not kicking in at full speed at first and then went slightly up. The scores are pretty consistent and right now I'm quite satisfied...

Attachments

• Cinebench R23 Balanced Balanced -125 OC PL2120W.png
    Cinebench R23 Balanced Balanced -125 OC PL2120W.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 348
  • HwInfo CB r23 Multi.jpg
    HwInfo CB r23 Multi.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 189
  • HwInfo CB r23 Single.jpg
    HwInfo CB r23 Single.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

Dever

Hello Astrophobe, I have disabled virtualisation in bios as you did but the option to change the CPU voltage in throttlestop are still greyed out. Is there something else that I should do?

Astrophobe

Puh...I don't know. I will look if I did reset the OC Lock as I think to remember in Bios but otherwise I did what I wrote above. Did you try XTU after disabling virtualization? Maybe give it a shot to look if something changes...

Follow-up:

Okay, I got myself into Bios again: My "Overclocking Lock" was still disabled! My bad as I told you wrong. But maybe thats it: you don't only have to disable all virtualization but also mod Bios to get your unlocked CPU working...Time for Dell to get out a Bios for this CPU!

The register for the OC-Lock is:

0x10E (set to 0x0-> disabled).

Please refer to the link unclewebb posted to get it working. Please go through ALL steps mentioned carefully to verify the registers. It's no rocket science but you have to be careful and be prepared...

As I mentioned multipliers won't work with this and I will wait for Dell before messing around further.

Last edited:

Dever

Thank you for your time Astrophobe. I tried to run XTU after disabling virtualization but I’m still not able to change CPU voltage. I think I will proceed with unclewebb procedure and see what happens.

I just want to ask you guys if there is a possibility of a rolling back if something went wrong. Also do you know if this procedure could cause me to lose my warranty for future assistance from Dell?

I’m not an expert on this kind of stuff but I cannot accept that after buying such an expensive PC I have these problems. I’m getting frustrated for all of this, thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Astrophobe

Hi Dever, if you try the way using EFI shell to mod your Bios there is no easy way I know of to roll back if you mess it up. Because of this you have to be careful. Regarding the warranty I don't know...I think it will void it but you have to dig deep into a bricked laptop to see that someone set the wrong bit in Bios.

The description in the link is really step by step just for another machine. I attach my readable Bios file with the needed registers so you get an impression.
Most of the steps using the mentioned tools are to get the registers you need.
After that you use a USB stick with EFI shell, a command line boot environment, to "switch off" the overclocking lock.

For my machine , Dell 9520 with i9, 32Gb, Oled and Bios 1.2.0 the register is 0x10E so MY command was:

setup_var CpuSetup 0x10E 0x0

If you want to boot from your stick after disabling secure boot and setting a boot path I had to take out my stick and put it in right after to get it booting.

Attachments

• BIOS 1.2 Dell 9520.txt
    2.2 MB · Views: 427

madman404

Hey!
Sorry to join everyone in hijacking this thread, but I was having problems undervolting my i7 9520, and this seemed like the place to ask.
I did the procedure unclewebb posted as well as disabling all virtualization in windows and my BIOS - still no luck, it's greyed out.

Any ideas?

unclewebb

@madman404
What CPU do you have? The 12th Gen HK series support CPU voltage control but this useful feature was removed or completely disabled for the 12th Gen H series.

Core i7 1185G7
I originally thought that too but it appears to be a 12th Gen. I love playing these guessing games.

For the record, Intel also removed CPU voltage control from the 11th Gen G7 series.

1655520310153.png

When ThrottleStop shows Locked at the top, there is the possibility that voltage control can be unlocked. When it says Not Available, that means CPU voltage control is not available. There is no known magic way to enable this feature when it is listed as Not Available.

Last edited:

madman404

@madman404
What CPU do you have? The 12th Gen HK series support CPU voltage control but this useful feature was removed or completely disabled for the 12th Gen H series.

I originally thought that too but it appears to be a 12th Gen. I love playing these guessing games.

For the record, Intel also removed CPU voltage control from the 11th Gen G7 series.
It's only a 12700H. I had no idea they completely disabled voltage control for those. Thanks, Intel? Definitely wasn't using that or anything.
Thanks for the help anyway.