• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i9 12900hk (Dell XPS 15 9520)

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
That would have been my first guess.

Intel pulled a fast one. They are forcing users to dig deep. You have to pay extra for a 12th Gen HK processor to get the special feature of undervolting. If you do that, then all you have to worry about is if a manufacturer has decided to leave this feature unlocked or not. You cannot count on anything until you do some hands on testing. Even then, a week or a month later after your payment clears and the 30 day return period is up, you might get a forced update that locks things down. Not easy being a performance laptop consumer. Intel and manufacturers seem to forget whose money is actually paying for the laptop.

Dever

Hello everyone, just wanted to let you know that I will try unclewebb procedure in the next days for my i9 12900hk. I will keep you updated. Thank you!

Astrophobe

Hi Dever,
be careful and feel free to ask if you are unsure at any point. Remember to take out your USB when in boot menu. Put it back in after you have chosen the stick as a boot device. This has to be done for the stick to be recognized. It took me a few attemps before I tried this...

Once you set your value for disabling "OC-Lock" you leave Efi with "exit" :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi Dever, if you try the way using EFI shell to mod your Bios there is no easy way I know of to roll back if you mess it up. Because of this you have to be careful. Regarding the warranty I don't know...I think it will void it but you have to dig deep into a bricked laptop to see that someone set the wrong bit in Bios.

The description in the link is really step by step just for another machine. I attach my readable Bios file with the needed registers so you get an impression.
Most of the steps using the mentioned tools are to get the registers you need.
After that you use a USB stick with EFI shell, a command line boot environment, to "switch off" the overclocking lock.

For my machine , Dell 9520 with i9, 32Gb, Oled and Bios 1.2.0 the register is 0x10E so MY command was:

setup_var CpuSetup 0x10E 0x0

If you want to boot from your stick after disabling secure boot and setting a boot path I had to take out my stick and put it in right after to get it booting.
With this txt file from your BIOS , you can alter it and unlock extra futures ?
I have an HP Pavilion 15 (eg-0004nv) with i71165G7 and try to find a way to alter the BIOS
at the moment only childish options in BIOS , all the rest are invisible

TwistedAndy

With this txt file from your BIOS , you can alter it and unlock extra futures ?
I have an HP Pavilion 15 (eg-0004nv) with i71165G7 and try to find a way to alter the BIOS
at the moment only childish options in BIOS , all the rest are invisible
Yes, correct. It allows us to change settings in BIOS regardless if they are visible or not.

Yes, correct. It allows us to change settings in BIOS regardless if they are visible or not.
I don’t have the knowledge to do it. But is welcome to find a way around and increase performance (I assume an X.M.P profile maybe can unlocked , or to change BDPROCHOT or something else)
I get that on Cinebench R15, and you can’t tell it wouahhouuu for the CPU.
Only 1 time see it on 918Cb and that ambient room temp was 15C
Some ASUS models or other vendors get 940+ easy

Attachments

• 7467D963-E8FB-4FA7-913C-F4812B7888EC.jpeg
    7467D963-E8FB-4FA7-913C-F4812B7888EC.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 156
Your results look pretty decent. 1165G7 gets 850 points in CB R15 on average.
Believe me if I found someone help me to unlock the BIOS, and BDPROCHOT disabled complete and XMP memory profile enabled
They exist some pretty good memory kits with very low latency compare to 22-22-22-52 that will assist CPU and of course GPU
Unfortunately I run DRR4-3200 and the GPU runs slower from the same laptop with LPDDR4x-4267Mhz
I have also a suspicion that the onboard CPU fan is set to very quiet operation, and not spin up faster
“I repaste 1 time and try to give external power to the fan , and see that really blow air. HP and other vendors probably set them to quite and silently option”
850Cb for Cinebench R15 is not moderate enough.
the 1165G7 cpu should give close to 980Cb or 1000+
Is a pretty decent cpu (between 6700K and 7700K without Overclocking)

I forgot to mention…
If I let windows and HP bloat programs run, the performance drop to 700-720Cb
Don’t know why all vendors cut the wings on all laptops with silly childish option or locks between BIOS or background memory programs
But I understand the guy get a 12900HK or HX or H
For sure … don’t give a damn if battery drain fast enough or if some heat and moderate to hi fan noise produced by laptop

Last edited:

TwistedAndy

There are not so many options to significantly improve performance. Undervolting helps, but in your case, it is not available. You may try to adjust PL1 and PL2 (if they're not locked) and try a different paste. I've purchased Alphacool Apex 17W/mK some time ago and it shows better results than MX-5.

to Astrophobe

can you make me a favor ?

If yes, can you spend some time to format the system and install a full stripped Win10 ISO ? (I can send you a link if you want, for testing)

the only thing to install it will be the graphic card driver, nothing else and run some benchmarks.

On Device Manager inside Control Panel it will show multiple question marks , because it will be total stripped ISO, but it will let you to run FREE Unlocked from all the silly
Dell add on.

Astrophobe

to Astrophobe

can you make me a favor ?

If yes, can you spend some time to format the system and install a full stripped Win10 ISO ? (I can send you a link if you want, for testing)

the only thing to install it will be the graphic card driver, nothing else and run some benchmarks.

On Device Manager inside Control Panel it will show multiple question marks , because it will be total stripped ISO, but it will let you to run FREE Unlocked from all the silly
Dell add on.
Hi Flflfl,

right now I´m not planning to do a fresh install. I did format the new laptop to do a clean install of Win11 and it´s working pretty well after setting everything the way I want it (despite the lacking BIOS from Dell for the K-CPUs). Furthermore do I like Win11 and don´t want to go back to 10. So I have to say sorry...

Hi Flflfl,

right now I´m not planning to do a fresh install. I did format the new laptop to do a clean install of Win11 and it´s working pretty well after setting everything the way I want it (despite the lacking BIOS from Dell for the K-CPUs). Furthermore do I like Win11 and don´t want to go back to 10. So I have to say sorry...
I understand.

Now back to main, I always thought Dell keep some principles on full performance to the final user, I think a newer BIOS maybe Unlock this futures you want.

nama

The basic procedure for unlocking CPU voltage control is explained here.

I have no idea if this procedure will work on your laptop. It is the BIOS that sets the lock bit. This cannot be unlocked after you boot up into Windows so ThrottleStop and XTU will not work as is. CPU voltage control can only be unlocked before Windows boots up.
Thanks so much, i successed to use this method and unlock undervolt options in XTU for my XPS 17 9720 with 12900HK.

My bios version is 1.8.0 (lastest today) and using csme 16 version tool.

Finally i found the result is overclocking lock VarOffset 0x10E and CFG lock VarOffset 0x43

Very helpful and thanks again!!!

Hello Astrophobe, I have a Dell XPS 15 9520 i9 12900hk but I'm not able to unlock voltages control in Throttlestop, XTU or any other softwares. Could you please tell me how you managed to unlock it? My laptop is two days old and my CPU reaches 100 degrees and always activates thermal throttling. Please guys help me. Thank you!

My 12900hk xps 17 successed to unlock voltages control via unclewebb`s suggestion. just follow it.

Dionysus

Thanks so much, i successed to use this method and unlock undervolt options in XTU for my XPS 17 9720 with 12900HK.

My bios version is 1.8.0 (lastest today) and using csme 16 version tool.

Finally i found the result is overclocking lock VarOffset 0x10E and CFG lock VarOffset 0x43

Very helpful and thanks again!!!

My 12900hk xps 17 successed to unlock voltages control via unclewebb`s suggestion. just follow it.
Where did you get the tools for CSME version 16? I'm on the latest BIOS (v1.9.1) which puts me at CSME v16.1 and I can't seem to find the correct tools.

1672895310448.png

1672895268716.png

nama

Where did you get the tools for CSME version 16? I'm on the latest BIOS (v1.9.1) which puts me at CSME v16.1 and I can't seem to find the correct tools.

View attachment 277625
View attachment 277624
Use this GitHub - CE1CECL/IntelCSTools, i tried again, CSME System Tools v16.0 r8 works. u can have a try, good luck!

View attachment 277625
View attachment 277624
And if your laptop is xps 17 9720, then i believe it should have the same result, overclocking lock VarOffset 0x10E and CFG lock VarOffset 0x43

But please double check, i won`t take any responsibility for this result. LOL