• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Atom-based Puma 6 Modem Chipset has Severe Latency Issues, Many Cable Modems Affected

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Sometimes as a news reporter, a story drops right into your lap. That was the case with me and my latest experience with my ISP rented modem, which I recently upgraded to support higher speeds.

The modem I got was based on the Puma 6 chipset, which is an Atom based chipset from Intel. I immediately noticed a more sluggish web experience, despite the bandwidth nearly doubling (going from 8 downstream pipes to 24 will do that). I began to google this issue, and came up with a much-underreported issue from a thread on dslreports.com where the dedicated members there have extensively documented the issues with the Puma 6 chipset, and Intel's apparent inability to patch them.

The issue appears to be Intel's insistence on doing on the data processing of the mathematical channel separation (Full Spectrum Frequency Capture, which this modem utilizes, is a very mathematically intense operation) on a weak Atom CPU. The CPU bogs down under load, resulting in frequent latency spikes up to 250ms (that's like going around the globe twice, for reference). Intel for its part has put out firmware patches, but two fixes later and they are apparently unable to correct this issue beyond making ICMP work. TCP/UDP is still a mess, and guess what? That's what everyone uses.

One would hope they are still looking at firmware fixes, but the situation seems dire. There is talk of class-action lawsuits brewing all over the dslreports.com forums, and this does not seem to be idle chatter given the fact that a major modem manufacturer, Arris, has invested heavily in this chipset (Arris for its part, has already filed a lawsuit).

This chipset is a very widely used chipset in cable modems, so if you've been noticing latency in your connection, you'd best test if it uses the Puma 6 chipset. Ironically, the best way to test it is via a performance test cooked up at dslreports.com: It's performance is so consistently bad you can actually detect the chipset via its performance metrics. It is worth noting, nearly all >8 downstream pipe modems rented from comcast with voice function (something they push heavily), and many even without the voice function include the Puma 6 chipset.

As for my personal experience, I exchanged for a customer owned-modem: A Netgear CM600 (Broadcom Chipset). About darn time.

See the test at this link, and stay tuned for more on this developing story. Your local TPU-newsposter is on it.

UPDATE: It would seem the atom-core is not the issue, as the arm core does the packet processing as some users pointed out. Regardless, the chipset as a whole appears to be faulty, and it is all Intel IP.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name Titan
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2670v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II
Storage Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic X-750
Software Windows 10 Pro
Surprised to see this mentioned here to be honest. Being in Canada, most if not all of the DOCSIS 3.0 modems available from the major cable internet providers here use the Puma 6 chipset. In my case, I have the Hitron CDA3. Since we can only use approved modem models, there isn't really anything we can do here to avoid the issue.

With any luck hopefully we'll get a fix for this but after well over a year, we're not any closer to a solution. I'm not holding my breath.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Surprised to see this mentioned here to be honest.

I'm surprised at how little coverage this issue has frankly. It is appropriate for here anyways given it's strongest impact would be in online gaming, and we are largely a PC gaming hardware site.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
This is what they get for not using arm.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
I'm surprised at how little coverage this issue has frankly. It is appropriate for here anyways given it's strongest impact would be in online gaming, and we are largely a PC gaming hardware site.

Its Intel, they cover up as much as they can so they dont look bad. Nothing new really. But thanks for reporting this :)

System Name Titan
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2670v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II
Storage Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic X-750
Software Windows 10 Pro

I guess I'm more so surprised that any tech publications I frequent actually wrote anything about it. It's a pretty big problem but this is the first time I've seen anyone outside of DSLR mention it.

This is what they get for not using arm.

Actually, there is an ARM CPU in the Puma 6 architecture. There is both an ARM and Intel CPU. The ARM CPU is what is active for all modems. The Intel CPU appears to only be active on the gateway (combo modem/router) models. That said, the Puma 6 IP is entirely Intel's, and thus their responsibility to fix.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Actually, there is an ARM CPU in the Puma 6 architecture. There is both an ARM and Intel CPU. The ARM CPU is what is active for all modems. The Intel CPU appears to only be active on the gateway (combo modem/router) models. That said, the Puma 6 IP is entirely Intel's, and thus their responsibility to fix.

Which makes it even dumber. There was never a reason to use x86. Intel must have gave them away, literally.

Which makes it even dumber. There was never a reason to use x86. Intel must have gave them away, literally.

Being that the ARM is in control of the modem's interface, the Atom CPU would be in control of the router portion of a gateway. The reason the Atom is there in the non-gateway modems is because Intel chose to use a single SKU for both types of devices, but to shut down the Atom CPU on non-gateway devices. Also, the ARM CPU appears to have severe latency issues under heavy load and/or bonded to >24 channels. In the latter case, baseline latency doubles.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Being that the ARM is in control of the modem's interface, the Atom CPU would be in control of the router portion of a gateway. The reason the Atom is there in the non-gateway modems is because Intel chose to use a single SKU for both types of devices, but to shut down the Atom CPU on non-gateway devices. Also, the ARM CPU appears to have severe latency issues under heavy load and/or bonded to >24 channels. In the latter case, baseline latency doubles.

I used to hit 275 Mb without issue (many connections, too). But...custom firmware... :D
Higher was possible, but limited to 8 channels :(

I still don't know why anyone would let x86 in when EVERY router/AP I've seen is arm. Wait, they gave em away lol

I used to hit 275 Mb without issue (many connections, too). But...custom firmware... :D
Higher was possible, but limited to 8 channels :(

I still don't know why anyone would let x86 in when EVERY router/AP I've seen is arm. Wait, they gave em away lol

...sigh.

They left the Atoms in place in all devices so they had only one SKU to develop for. I guarantee they weren't given away.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
...sigh.

They left the Atoms in place in all devices so they had only one SKU to develop for. I guarantee they weren't given away.

Yes, but you're telling me there wasn't another solution available, so every modem manuf went with puma 6? They did for a reason and I suspect it was basically free chips. Hell, they couldn't give em away in phones. I guess it's time to cram them in something else.

This was a known issue for awhile IF you were paying attention to it. The solution is to find out which modems are compatible with your ISP. They usually have a certified list on their sites. If your renting it, return it for a Broadcom or Puma 5 chip based modem. If you bought your own and its a Puma 6 then buy a Broadcom or Puma 5 based modem from the compatibility list.

Make sure your replacement handles your speed tier.

Last edited:
Yes, but you're telling me there wasn't another solution available, so every modem manuf went with puma 6? They did for a reason and I suspect it was basically free chips. Hell, they couldn't give em away in phones. I guess it's time to cram them in something else.

If you knew anything about modems and gateways, there was only one 32 channel capable chipset when these came out. That would be Puma 6. Not until Puma 7 and the new Broadcom SoC used in the Netgear CM1000 and Arris SB8200 were there other 32 channel capable chipsets. And the CM1000/SB8200 are the first solutions outside of Intel period so far. Outside of the CM1000/SB8200, the only 32 channel capable devices are Puma based (6 and now 7). All Broadcom solutions max out at 24 channels prior to the CM1000/SB8200.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

Uhm, actually, most low cost routers use MIPS, not ARM...

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
System Name Custom Built
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME A520M-A
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 16GB 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1050Ti 4GB
Storage KINGSTON SNVS250G 256GB M.2 + 2 data disks
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic M12II-520 EVO
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
WOW between this and the Atom c2000 issues :slap:

What bad name will Atom get with all this

And seems like they have a costly class action lawsuit coming their way, at least the modem maker o_O

Intel's buggy Puma 6 chipset earns Arris a gigabit-modem lawsuit
Laggy silicon at heart of broadband boxes lands gateway maker in court

Cable modem maker Arris is facing a class-action suit over its handling of a lag-prone line of cable modems.

The complaint, filed in the Northern California District Court, accuses the vendor of violating four California state consumer protection laws and seeks relief for folks in the Golden State who purchased an Arris SURFboard SB6190 modem since its launch in late 2015.

According to the complaint, Arris violated state laws on misleading advertising and unfair competition, as well as consumer protection and warranty laws, when it advertised and sold the SURFboard cable modems as "gigabit" home internet boxes.

As covered in detail by El Reg in December, the Arris SB6190 was among home gateways using a buggy Intel Puma 6 chipset that was prone to high latency under certain circumstances. This chipset caused the SB6190 – and other DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems using Intel's silicon – to suffer from jittery connectivity that ruined online gaming and other latency-sensitive apps.

While Arris is the only company named in the complaint, it was not the sole vendor to fall victim to the design flaw. Branded boxes offered by Comcast and Virgin Media, as well as modems from Hitron and Compal and network gear from Cisco and Linksys, were all said to use the lag-prone Puma 6 chipset.
Attorneys for named plaintiff Carlos Reyna cited The Register's in-depth coverage in claiming that by failing to ship a fully working product and by not being able to coordinate with ISPs to provide an effective firmware update to remedy the issue, Arris had failed in its obligations to customers.

"By shipping modems with this defect, Arris sold consumer goods that were substantially below the quality generally available in the market, were not fit for the Internet connectivity for which they were generally used, and were not adequately packaged and labeled," the complaint reads.

"Arris also concealed the network latency problem with the Modem through its marketing, advertising, and packaging of the product."

The suit seeks a jury trial to decide damages for Reyna and all other Californians who purchased the SB6190.

Arris declined to comment, citing the matter as pending litigation. Separately, we're told a firmware update for the Puma 6 issue, developed by Intel and Arris, has been sent out to some customers, however it is not a full fix and is considered by affected punters to be incomplete.

Meanwhile, Arris opted for a chipset from Intel's rival Broadcom in its latest gigabit cable modem – the DOCSIS 3.1 SB8200 – that was announced earlier this year. This means Arris snubbed Intel's Puma 7, a DOCSIS 3.1 part and a successor to the buggy Puma 6, for its newest device and went with Broadcom's BCM3390 chip instead.

According to early reviews, it looks like it was a good decision to go with Broadcom. Reviewers online have given the SB8200 a thumbs up.

It is possible Arris switched from Intel's Puma 7 to the Broadcom BCM3390 at short notice for the SB8200 after the Puma 6 scandal blew up. However, due to manufacturing pipelines, it's more likely Arris had the BCM3390 lined up for the SB8200 months before the firmware debacle kicked off – and good thing, too.
WOW between this and the Atom c2000 issues :slap:

What bad name will Atom get with all this
Not much, if anything people don't even know what happened with the c2k & this is also a non news for most people who are unaffected, even among the users personally hit by these [insert politically correct euphemism for greedy corporations] they'll go to the hardware vendor. Intel goes scot free, like they always do. The AT front page doesn't even mention this, they didn't cover the precious Atom fiasco either, Intel still have have fans/followers/stooges even among the more reputed tech sites.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
... issue has been out since mid 2016 or so.. :)

Ive had the sb6190 for several months now (was unaware of this issue, lol) and noticed some severe latency issues. Ive been waiting for a patch, but none have come out. Im going to downgrade to the sb6183 which doesnt have the puma based chipset. ;)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I assume it's not because the CPU is slow as such, just that it's configured very badly. *Just.*

I assume it's not because the CPU is slow as such, just that it's configured very badly. *Just.*
correct...its not slow..

...but do you know what that will do with ln2? :p

Hope you are well Frick. :)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
... issue has been out since mid 2016 or so.. :)

Yes, but is severely undercovered by the media. I felt it my duty to bring some more attention to this issue as a reporter, especially as it's still an evolving issue.

Right... wasnt trying to take anything away, just add a point this has been an issue for nearly a year at this point. :)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Right... wasnt trying to take anything away, just add a point this has been an issue for nearly a year at this point. :)

It became a personal issue for me when I bought one, though. :laugh:

Seriously, it made me aware of the lack of coverage, which I found appalling.

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB