• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Confirms Z390 and X399 Chipsets in Official Documents

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
System Name 3950X Workstation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact
Cooling Cryorig C1 with Noctua NF-A12x15
Memory G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1650 LP OC
Storage 2 x Corsair MP510 1920GB M.2 SSD
Case Realan E-i7
Power Supply G-Unique 400W
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/the-saga-of-the-little-gem-continues.12877/
As much as I root for AMD, applaud them with the disruption they brought to the CPU market, and openly support them with my decision to build a Ryzen system, this chipset numbering is the most childish and fruitless thing I've come to see by any legitimate business. It reeks of pettiness, lack of self-esteem, and lack of character. It's laughable but not in a funny way; it's just ridiculous. I still cannot wrap my head around what all those executives were thinking.

I mean, sure, someone down the line may have suggested "you know what would be funny? what if we upend Intel with the chipset numbering scheme by using the same lettering but one larger number?". The thing is, the first manager to hear of this should've shut it down by saying "that's not even funny. what use would that have? we should come up with a new naming scheme to assert who we are"

Seriously, I wanna give a good smack on the back of the heads of those executives who went for this kindergarten level crap...

Yes, because Intel owns every name they could potentially ever use for their chipsets or CPUs....Oh wait they don't.

Saying that Intel has a right to X399 is like saying Apple is the only one how can have rounded corners on their phones (which they actually have a patent for!).

This is not even remotely close to what I said or meant. It's not an IP issue, and it has nothing to do with Intel. Intel name is just a placeholder.

I am talking about AMD resorting to childish and petty tactic of trying to piss a competitor off by using up their very apparent future version numbering. If I didn't know better, I'd say AMD did not have the balls to create their own scheme, but I know this is not true; look at "Ryzen", "Threadripper" and "EPYC", and their CPU numbering. I'm baffled and disappointed because I root for them and because their naming and numbering in the ZEN era shows braZEN (TM, lol, just kidding, you can use it AMD ;)) balls, while chipset naming is the stark opposite.

I can tell you want AMD where thinking: why don't we use nomenclatures that are already established so that our customers instantly know where are products stand.

Do you realize how long it would have taken to build up customer awareness if AMD didn't tier it's processors using R3 R5 R7 and didn't name it's chipset with A, B, and X? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This is funny, because all this "joke" ever achieved is to confuse both AMD and INTEL customers. So, in one fell swoop, AMD negatively impacted the whole market and created nothing but resentment (in varying degrees).

Intel has been using B, H, Q, X, and Z in the desktop market for long that it's part of their brand. Why get into that?? Lack of letters in the English alphabet?? The only answer is petty childishness.

AMD's chipset is called Promontory internally, why not use "P", for example? A series was used by AMD for APUs, so that's fine, for mainstream desktop they could use P, and high-end desktop they could use PX. What I mean is there was so many ways to name their chipset without creating this fuss...