• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intermittent BIOS freezes

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Motherboard MSI X370 Gaming Plus
Memory 16 GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC
Case Corsair Crystal 570X RGB
Power Supply 800 W Be Quiet
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: Graphics Score: 9676 CPU Score: 3824 Total Score: 7869 (outdated)
I was seeing some system crashes, likely due to an insufficiently tested RAM OC. Wanted to reset to XMP and noticed BIOS was freezing every couple seconds, delaying all mouse and keyboard inputs and making it very sluggish to use. Rebooting without XMP did not solve the issue. Updated BIOS to most recent release and tried without XMP, no success either. System continues to run flawlessly. Any suggestions?

Mainboard is a MSI x370 Gaming Plus, CPU is a R7 2700x.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Do a BIOS reset using the jumper on the mobo and see how it is then. You want everything at stock when troubleshooting something like this.

Note that merely loading BIOS defaults is not the same as a hardware BIOS reset.

It could also be your RAM or a RAM slot on the mobo. Try booting with one stick and see how it goes. I had 4 sticks in my PC, which had started to become quite unstable. By process of elimination I found out that one stick had become faulty. Replaced it and now works fine. In fact, I think that stick may have been slightly faulty from new, but it was extremely intermittent then. Also, see how hot your RAM is running. It could be a real heat trap there causing them to be too hot to the touch and that's no good.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Motherboard MSI X370 Gaming Plus
Memory 16 GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC
Case Corsair Crystal 570X RGB
Power Supply 800 W Be Quiet
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: Graphics Score: 9676 CPU Score: 3824 Total Score: 7869 (outdated)
Do a BIOS reset using the jumper on the mobo and see how it is then. You want everything at stock when troubleshooting something like this.

Note that merely loading BIOS defaults is not the same as a hardware BIOS reset.

It could also be your RAM or a RAM slot on the mobo. Try booting with one stick and see how it goes. I had 4 sticks in my PC, which had started to become quite unstable. By process of elimination I found out that one stick had become faulty. Replaced it and now works fine. In fact, I think that stick may have been slightly faulty from new, but it was extremely intermittent then. Also, see how hot your RAM is running. It could be a real heat trap there causing them to be too hot to the touch and that's no good.
Thank you for your answer. I feel silly now. I was under the impression that removing the battery from the mainboard equalled resetting the BIOS, or that an M-Flash would also result in a reset. I went through the manual of my mainboard again, set the according jumpers and my issue is resolved. Again, many thanks for your quick and helpful answer!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Wicked, glad to help. :toast: