• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

James Webb Space Telescope News

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000

This is so 4k. I can live here. Yummy :peace:

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE

Also, there seem to be some technical issues with the MIRI instrument:

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
But according to new reporting by Nature, the telescope hadn't been fully calibrated when the data was first released, which is now sending some astronomers scrambling to see if their calculations are now obsolete.
Clickbait at its worst. Unless they were the same people, it's not really scientists doing papers who screwed up here, but the folks responsible for calibration of telescope, who did that improperly...

Clickbait at its worst. Unless they were the same people, it's not really scientists doing papers who screwed up here, but the folks responsible for calibration of telescope, who did that improperly...
Either way, something was not done properly and as a result many of the images collected were improperly analyzed. The conclusions made as a result were flawed and need reassessment.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
For TPU readers in the USA, NOVA (PBS) is airing a new episode about the James Webb Space Telescope called "New Eye on the Universe" which includes imagery from the new telescope.

Check your local listings but the terrestrial broadcast is likely 9pm in your time zone.

For PBS subscribers, this episode will likely be available via stream from PBS Passport.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
For TPU readers in the USA, NOVA (PBS) is airing a new episode about the James Webb Space Telescope called "New Eye on the Universe" which includes imagery from the new telescope.

Check your local listings but the terrestrial broadcast is likely 9pm in your time zone.

For PBS subscribers, this episode will likely be available via stream from PBS Passport.

just fyi, I have no PBS Passport, and no login, and it is letting me watch the entire 52 minute first episode right now without issue streaming it from your link in your post.

:toast:

then after I watch this I

:rockout::rockout::rockout:

Pillars of Creation:

Hubble vs Webb:
View attachment 266271

Full image (155MB PNG).
I meant to comment about this last year but forgot to. I actually like the Hubble version better. While there is more detail in the JWST version, the Hubble version looks better, visually and makes for a much better and more striking photo. However, from purely scientific perspective, the JWST version is more useful.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I am 16 minutes into the New Eye on the Universe episode, I am watching at 1.5x speed, nice of PBS to give that option. So far it is pretty good, very good graphics in it, highly polished video. For only being streamable in 1080p it looks damn near 4k... they don't use YouTube, it's their own in house video thingy. Whoever is running that is top notch, cause it is excellent all around.

1677133215990.png

Sadly, this is geoblocked from RotW.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
I meant to comment about this last year but forgot to. I actually like the Hubble version better. While there is more detail in the JWST version, the Hubble version looks better, visually and make for a much better and more striking photo. However, from purely scientific perspective, the JWST version is more useful.
I doubt that astronomers even use false colour photos for scientific purposes. They use monochrome images individually or in sets for photogrammetry, and spectra of points/regions in the sky.

But they also have large polished false colour posters of galaxies in their hallways and offices, that's for sure.

Europe now has its first "International Dark Sky Sanctuary" - Ynys Enlli (Bardsey Island) in the Irish Sea, just off the tip of Wales' Llŷn Peninsula.
The nearest source of light pollution is Dublin, 70 miles across the sea.

I doubt that astronomers even use false colour photos for scientific purposes.
You'd be surprised how much science can be done with false colour photos. However...
They use monochrome images individually or in sets for photogrammetry, and spectra of points/regions in the sky.

But they also have large polished false colour posters of galaxies in their hallways and offices, that's for sure.
...you're spot on with these points.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You'd be surprised how much science can be done with false colour photos. However...

...you're spot on with these points.

in that PBS video they talk about the images from the JWST and then they interview the artist "who brings them into the visible spectrum" I was surprised by how much of it was left up to artistic interpretation. its very possible the images we see from the JWST aka the ones the public sees aren't what those areas look like at all - if we hypothetically were on a rocket ship closer to them and able to look out the window.

I find this to be the most troubling, because the artistic interpretation really should be more science based imo, but that PBS video showed a guy really just making it look anyway he wanted, and he even showed different versions and just picked which one was most beautiful to look at.

I don't know, I didn't realize this was how it was done and it kind of bums me out.

I don't know, I didn't realize this was how it was done and it kind of bums me out.
Don't let it burn you out. It's important to keep the proper context. The base science being done is not at all "artistic interpretation". The visual representations are where that comes into play. The raw data is ALWAYS taken at face value and is strictly based on merit and factual information.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I meant to comment about this last year but forgot to. I actually like the Hubble version better. While there is more detail in the JWST version, the Hubble version looks better, visually and makes for a much better and more striking photo. However, from purely scientific perspective, the JWST version is more useful.
Which makes sense since Hubble is the visible colour spectrum and not the infrared like Webb. Need infrared to cut through the dust and capture wavelengths that have increased over time/distance too look further back in time.

But ya a new Hubble in the visible spectrum would be nice for those true to life images.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
in that PBS video they talk about the images from the JWST and then they interview the artist "who brings them into the visible spectrum" I was surprised by how much of it was left up to artistic interpretation. its very possible the images we see from the JWST aka the ones the public sees aren't what those areas look like at all - if we hypothetically were on a rocket ship closer to them and able to look out the window.
Those stars and gas clouds and other things could be too faint to see at all (even if you were close!), too faint to see in colour (humans see all stars as white dots, which they aren't), too bright to look at, or bright enough to turn you into plasma. Even if we ignore the fact that visible light is not the entire observable radiation.
I find this to be the most troubling, because the artistic interpretation really should be more science based imo, but that PBS video showed a guy really just making it look anyway he wanted, and he even showed different versions and just picked which one was most beautiful to look at.

You needn't go that far into outer space. I've seen my dentist manipulate the (monochrome) X-ray image of my tooth so he could better see details he needed to see. Positive, negative, rainbow colour palette, contrast enhancement. Observing the negative image is a common technique used by both radiologists and astronomers.

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop

First of all, you can get a decent telescope and see the thing for yourself. They will be tiny and in monochrome (not bright enough to stimulate your color vision) and you'll need a dark sky site to make the most out of them, but they're visible in my light-polluted SoCal backyard on clearer nights.

The Hubble color palette is also false color so anything you see in the Hubble images is also color-shifted to make prettier pictures. They're not shifted as far in the spectrum as the Hubble works mostly in visible wavelengths, but the emission spectra they are detecting does not line up perfectly with your eyes' R G B. The Hubble color palette maps to those wavelengths for the best visibility in public pictures.

And as others mentioned, the JWST is an infrared telescope specifically because the IR spectrum penetrates dust better than visible and probably also because IR is absorbed by our atmosphere more than visible light so the best place for an IR scope is in space, above that water vapor. Since IR is invisible to your eyes, these pictures need to be color-shifted. Otherwise you'd be looking at a pretty much blank picture of visible light.

So, yes it's completely arbitrary how they want to map the JWST's colors to visible wavelengths as it's all false color, no color is "more false" than any other color.

None of this should bum you out, it's necessary. Instead find a local dark sky site in the summer where local amateur astronomers gather on new moon weekends and ask to look through the bigger scopes there at the Eagle Nebula (where the POC are) and gather all those photons with your own eyes. It's pretty awesome. And they love to share their views of the night skies.

Last edited:
System Name C30 w.2x E2650L v2; T5500 w.2x X5670;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
Better to watch these, then all those false claims on YouTube about JWST detecting aliens.

Don't people get bored with all those pseudo science?

But ya a new Hubble in the visible spectrum would be nice for those true to life images.
Agreed! We really do need an new version of Hubble that can use all of the modern tech we have created since it's last upgrade. JWST is an excellent tool for scientific advancement, but we need to continue the area of science Hubble started.

Better to watch these, then all those false claims on YouTube about JWST detecting aliens.

Don't people get bored with all those pseudo science?
Theories you mean. The idea that we're alone in the Universe, or even just our Galaxy, is silly and absurd almost beyond reason. The laws of numerical probabilities rule out the idea that we are alone. There's life out there and someday we'll find it, if it doesn't find us first.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Does anyone know if there are any plans to take JWST and point it at our solar system just to see what's "behind" us? Or would the sun be so bright it wouldn't work since its so "close" to the JWST?