1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Japanese Power Supply Manufacturers -- Anyone know about them?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Unknown Soldier, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Unknown Soldier New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm building a new system, and currently living in Japan. All of the PS brands that I know are much more expensive than they are back in North America, and I have a theory as to why--there seem to be a lot of Japanese manufacturers here (at least I think they're Japanese), with more reasonable prices (I'm thinking maybe the government is slapping an import tariff on foreign imports).

At any rate, I'd rather not pay a ridiculous amount of money for an imported PS if one of the Japanese brands are of decent quality--but I don't know anything about them.

Does anyone out there have any experience with KEIAN, Scythe, or any others?

2. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Well the specs on a psu might tell you what you need to know.
    some good things to look for.

A Heavy psu is normally good quality.
    Solid state components like capasitors.
    80-85% efficiency rating.
    Good amp rating on 12V rails 25A to 30A
    gold plated connectors if possible {Not essential but helps with powerloss}

Good ventilation.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    As far as i know Scythe make a good range of coolers so they do appear to be a good firm. I would go with them, although it does never hurt to try. If you speak Japanese then go and ask some Japanese people!

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Enermax power supplys are good they should be available locally made in Tokyo Japan / taiwan shipped worldwide.

Enermax Liberty series and galaxy series seems to be a good high end power supply.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    A little about Enermax

Enermax Technology Corporation was founded in 1990 by a group of young professional, enthusiastic, and high-tech oriented people in Taiwan . The Enermax founders left high-profile positions from prestigious computer firms, bringing over 10 years of professional experiences to our own firm.

The main products we carry are switching power supplies, PC cases, industrial PC cases, pedestal and tower server cases, CPU coolers, second fans, mobile racks and other peripherals. Enermax has its own design groups and production line. For convenience and better service to our customers worldwide, Enermax has established branch offices with warehouses in Los Angeles and Silicon Valley in United States, Paris in France, Milan in Italy, Tokyo in Japan, Hamburg in Germany, London in UK and has distributors providing service in nearly every major city around the world. Enermax is always looking for the latest cutting edge technology to offer our clients. Enermax's own designing engineers work around the clock to come up with the best solution and product to meet the demand of the market. Now, Enermax is engaged in developing more powerful types of products to serve customers in the future. To provide efficient coordination, after sales services and technical support to customers is our primary purpose. The Enermax R&D department is proud of its strong engineering background. We focus on developing new products for both potential and existing markets. We also emphasize on new product types, product functions, design and quality. Each year, we release an average of 4 new series of products. Our R&D equipments are sourced both locally and imported from Japan. Based on our product development procedure, we have developed a team of experts to ensure that our products are manufactured to the most rigorous and highest standards imposed by the industry.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Unknown Soldier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, they're available, but as I said they're priced higher than normal. An Enermax 630W Liberty (which is what I'd go with if I didn't buy one of these other brands) is about $180 US.

7. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i dunno m8 its the same over here theres 700watt+ psu's for as little as £30 somtimes less and then theres the quality psu's at 700watt+ anything from £60 - £100+

If you buy cheap you get cheap and thats it basically.
    Cheap power supplys are a gamble they might work ok they might break down within a week.
    Besides this they can damage components with powerspikes/surges.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Unknown Soldier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really? Because they're much cheaper in Canada. The same Enermax PS goes for about US$125 there.

9. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wouldnt it be cheaper to have one shipped then?

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Unknown Soldier New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't think of that, but I don't want to wait. I'm planning on building this thing in the next day or two. There seems to be one or two local brands that are well-stocked at most stores, with prices that I'd expect from a quality brand back home, so I might just take a gamble on one of them.

11. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are shopping in store m8 just ask if you can view it feel the weight etc...
    You will know a cheap psu cos when you try to fit it and titen the screws up the threads give way more often than not because of cheap meterials used good meterials tend to add more weight.

Unknown Soldier says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Unknown Soldier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

13. Unknown Soldier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so I'm looking at getting one of these.

I don't know much about PS specs, so if someone with more knowledge could give it a glance, it'd be much appreciated!

14. driver66

driver66

Thanks Received:
    Well the amperage on the 12v rails look good, it's hard to make a call on if it's good for you or not without more info on your system. :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Unknown Soldier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gonna go with:

Intel E6750
    4gb 800mhz (probably patriot or corsair)
    ASUS P5N-D (probably)
    Geforce 8800GT 512 (one to start, adding a second later on)
    Seagate 250gb 8mb SATA

so I guess that's not a LOT of power requirements, aside from the SLI...

16. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    In Japan the Scythe Kamakiris are the bomb!

17. Unknown Soldier New Member

Thanks Received:
    I looked at scythe but I haven't been able to find any 600W models.

18. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008