1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[LCD] LG vs Samsung

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Bokteelo, May 3, 2009.

1. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want a sony to match my sony desktop but sony no longer makes monitors. Which is why I'm stuck with a Sony SDM-HS94P. haha

2. ShogoXT

ShogoXT

Thanks Received:
    They are both still crappy TN Film panels. Samsung or LG, TN Film panels are equally sucky looking. If you must, look at response time and angles, that will tell you how well its made.

3. farlex85

farlex85

Thanks Received:
    Yes yes they aren't the holy grail of color and contrast, but they aren't as terrible as many make them out to be (anymore, always improving) and they don't cost an arm and a leg. If you want the best IQ for color reproduction and movies and such, get a professional screen or a large plasma TV and calibrate it professionally. If you just need a good gaming monitor for the computer, there's nothing wrong w/ TN.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Cool, i'd still get the sammy as mines been sweet which my wife loves using now.

Mine is :) :)... I was thinking of getting 2 more 204B's as some of my games can use triple monitor but got the 40" as the cockpit or if your holding a weapon looks life sized :p. Were it's not like that with 3 20" LCDS but has a wider FOV.

DCS BS and IL-2 looks ucking awsome not saying any other game dont but i use my trackir 4 which makes you feel in the plane \ helli.

h3llb3nd4 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder when SEDs and FEDs are gonna come out cheap...

6. farlex85

farlex85

Thanks Received:
    SEDs are likely not going to happen, Toshiba (the main developer) has given up apparently in favor of OLEDs. Although who knows, SED has been in development supposedly on the cusp of coming out for quite some time now, I wouldn't get my hopes up. What is FED?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    what bout the commercials bout LED tv from samsung? anyone ever had a LED tv?

8. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    FED is Field Emmission Display
    It is harder to develope because of the vacuum:(
    I thought Toshiba already developed a prototype?

farlex85 says thanks.
  9. farlex85

farlex85

Thanks Received:
    LEDs are nice, the Luxia series from Samsung (shown in the commercials) is pretty awesome to behold, probably the best LCDs made to date IMO (although the XBR8 and 950, both backlit LEDs are pretty awesome also, luxia is edge-lit). Very expensive too though atm, and I'll still take a Kuro (Pioneer plasma) over them any day of the week. The future of LCDs I would bet, it allows them to finally compare to a plasma in black levels.

hmm, yeah I'm not sure what's going on w/ those. LaserTVs and OLEDs are the more imminent arrivals I think, but those show promise for sure. Toshiba has unveiled a few SEDs at trade shows, or has been supposed to but at the last second pull out. I read something somewhere that said they aren't pursuing the technology anymore.

a_ump and h3llb3nd4 say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    ah, so they're still considered LCD tv's, just the LED's are better for display, and apparently cost mucho cash daughters.

11. farlex85

farlex85

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. ShogoXT

ShogoXT

Thanks Received:
    All im saying is dont pay extra for the brand, when you arnt getting the brands key feature out of it.

When your comparing LG vs Samsung, you arnt comparing THOSE monitors, your comparing their leading panel types.

LG S-IPS and Samsung S-PVA
    Both look very nice and LED has helped Samsung nicely, but color uniformity and and minimal bleeding has been why S-IPS has been ahead by a hair.

If your going to buy a TN film monitor, all im saying is dont buy for the sticker brand. My monitor says gateway on it, but you know what? They didnt make it, Samsung did. Its the same for all monitors you see out there, besides connectors, stands, and frame... All monitors are made usually by LG, Samsung, AU Optronics, and 2 or 3 others i cant remember.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049
    Is nice.

EDIT: Yea... LED is just for backlighting, maybe a bit brighter, less power, thinner, but not really different.

13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    LEDS last much longer though.. Well the typical LED do anyways.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. ShogoXT

ShogoXT

Thanks Received:
    Im sure it would be replaced in less than 6 years though, so that kind of longevity doesnt mean too much in the grand scheme of technology progression.

EDIT: Btw I dont have direct material about what I said about LED so dont quote me on it. I just know the foot notes about it.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  15. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    no way , in this case LG is better , and i see you sure play games , now best LCD is the faster one the LG is 2ns Response Time , the samsung have 5ns Response Time , sure samsung brand people like it and it is have more quality but if you see samsung LCD with same specification of this LG you see it more expensive . my advice LG is good and this one have very cool specification , go for LG

16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    My 204B is 5ms and NEVER seen a slightest sight of ghosting. And how is the LG's rated compared to the Sammy ?.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Bokteelo New Member

Thanks Received:
    The LG has more features such as HDMI support, A TOUCH ACTIVATED CONTROL CENTER!!, and 2ms response time. It's better than the Samsung in almost every way, just not sure about the actual size of the screen. The Samsung is 23.3'', whereas most 24'' are 23.6'', unsure about the LG.

18. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    you right no problem right now with 5ns even 7ns , but i still remember when i was have an 11ns LCD (i think it was 11ns) , when i was play soccer pro4 i see some shadows or missing view , im went upgrade everything in my pc cuz i was think it is graphic not enough or something , at last an CRT on test by chance solve my problem , so think about what is next why brand do high speed LCD maybe there is something next need it

19. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well 11ms is high lol... Even more so if it's GTG. i was looking see what the sammy was and how it was tested but no luck probably GTG BUT the LG is GTG which would lower the numbers some compared to Black to white or what ever.

Some people seem to forget to find out what tests were done to get what ever ms they say they can do.

Like your 11ms LCD would be realy bad if it was tested in GTG tests all though black to white and coming up as 11 ms would of made it much better.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    ok now im have new LG LCD with 5ns , so i want to say it is ok go for more speed LCD