• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Locked PP0 current limit in throttlestop?

System Name Nero Mini
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 4.7GHz-4.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte X570i Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S+3x Noctua IPPC 3K
Memory Team Dark 3800MHz CL16 2x16GB 55ns
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 2060 Super JS Shunt Mod 2130MHz/1925MHz + 2x Noctua 120mm IPPC 3K
Storage Adata XPG Gammix S50 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD68W
Case Lian-Li TU-150
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have an HP Prodesk 600 G1 DM which I put an overpowered 65W i5 4690S when the standard CPUs are the 35W T-series CPUs. For the most part it works fine, I undervolted it to -70mv on the core and cache and that lets it hit 3.4-3.5GHz on all cores which is right in line with the max boost speed. But it does hit EDP Current limits and drop a little bit sometimes, is there a way to unlock the locked PP0 current limit? Also sometimes it hits VR Thermal, which I am not sure if its the motherboard VRM or the FIVR temperatures, can anyone elaborate on this? Would like to modify it to alleviate this.

Capture.PNG

timmdur

I'm having the exact same problem. I put an i5-4690k into a Lenovo m93p tiny, and am running into a hard current limit. Hopefully someone knows a way to unlock pp0 current limit!

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
If the BIOS has set the lock bit on the Turbo Power Limits or on the PP0 Current Limit, there is no easy way to unlock this register after you boot up into Windows. You would need a modified BIOS or you would have to try and find these locks in the UEFI variables. That is beyond me.

VR THERMAL lighting up in red means your motherboard voltage regulators are too hot. When you swap to a more powerful CPU, these are some of the limitations that can hold you back from achieving maximum performance.

System Name Nero Mini
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 2060 Super JS Shunt Mod 2130MHz/1925MHz + 2x Noctua 120mm IPPC 3K
Display(s) LG 27UD68W
Case Lian-Li TU-150
Software Windows 10 Pro
If the BIOS has set the lock bit on the Turbo Power Limits or on the PP0 Current Limit, there is no easy way to unlock this register after you boot up into Windows. You would need a modified BIOS or you would have to try and find these locks in the UEFI variables. That is beyond me.

VR THERMAL lighting up in red means your motherboard voltage regulators are too hot. When you swap to a more powerful CPU, these are some of the limitations that can hold you back from achieving maximum performance.

Oh bummer, thanks for the reply! I guess if the motherboard VRMs are the ones overheating there's no point in increasing the current limit anyways. I'll see about cooling the VRM more but the thing still performs well, all its running is my minecraft server so it does not hit the limits that often except for when there's lots of players or rendering the dynamic map.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Those units are rated at 65W system power, so the power supply will also be struggling.

timmdur

My tiny is running off a Dell 240w adapter, and has a coolermaster mars poking through the lid. Needless to say, power supply and thermals are NOT the issue. I undervolted to I think around -120mv, but I don't remember the exact number off the dome. This allows me to sometimes hit the 3.8ghz turbo clock, but I still don't see the performance I'd like to. I've averaged in the low 500s on cinebench R15 (500-515ish), and if I could give the cpu a bit more power I think I could raise the scores a decent bit. So how would I go about getting a modified BIOS? Information on the topic is VERY scarce it seems. The tiny is just a dumb project pc, so I'm down to try anything reasonable! Thanks!

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@timmdur - With a 4th Gen CPU, you can try using the ThrottleStop PowerCut feature.

I am not sure if this works on desktop CPUs but I think it does. Even if this trick works, I do not think you will see a huge improvement in performance. Your overheating voltage regulators will continue to limit maximum performance.

System Name Nero Mini
Display(s) LG 27UD68W
Case Lian-Li TU-150
Software Windows 10 Pro
@timmdur - With a 4th Gen CPU, you can try using the ThrottleStop PowerCut feature.

I am not sure if this works on desktop CPUs but I think it does. Even if this trick works, I do not think you will see a huge improvement in performance. Your overheating voltage regulators will continue to limit maximum performance.

I tried this it does drop the power use reported but it does not drop the current reported since it still hits EDP Current limits...and then VR Thermal llol

timmdur

I'll have to give that a try. I'm hitting a current limit though, and not a power limit, so I have a feeling it won't do anything. I haven't hit a voltage reg temp limit yet though, so if the power cut trick works it'll probably net me a few points!