• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for low profile and affordable speaker

Processor Reasonably good Intel CPU
Motherboard Eh, the cheapest ATX that supports the processor
Cooling Big ass Noctua always a good thing to have
Memory Cheapest 32GB kit for my needs
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage NVME 2x, SSD 2x, HDD 1x
Display(s) Dual monitor 1080p for life!
Case NZXT Flow
Audio Device(s) ALC something-something
Power Supply Good ol' Corsair
Mouse Good ol' Corsair
Keyboard Cheap Logitech wireless keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm looking for a good sounding low profile speakers for my rig, I use a two monitor system, so my current speaker (Logitech z200) slightly obstruct the bottom part on both of the monitors. I'm not an expert in the audio department so I'm totally lost. I tried searching for "low profile speakers" but google searches always directs me to expensive list of solutions.

Anyone got a recommendation? For reference, I quite like the z200, the staging felt right, and the upper frequencies are clear. Not a fan of bass, so a 2.0 setup is perfect for me.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
My first thought would be something soundbar-ish. But that might be nice or horrible depending on how far the screen is away from you. Needs a certain minimum distance for proper stereo. Smaller (less wide) soundbars are going to work better than big ones. Soundbars do tend to be 2.1 or virtual surround.1 setups, but most of the time, you can adjust the amount of bass with a knob on the woofer. So its easy to reduce that. (Though I agree, it never has the same 'wholesomeness' (?) to the sound stage that you get from solid 2.0 setups)

Another option is putting bookshelf speakers on their sides instead of upright, did you consider something like that?

D

Deleted member 24505

I'm using a topping digital amp, with usb/optical and coax input, 30wpc and some nice little teac lsw-h01 speakers, which are small enough to go under my monitor. sound quality is very good.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
I have seen people with z200s laying on their sides and under monitors. I suppose you could try that before you replace them since you like them.

Processor Reasonably good Intel CPU
Motherboard Eh, the cheapest ATX that supports the processor
Cooling Big ass Noctua always a good thing to have
Memory Cheapest 32GB kit for my needs
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage NVME 2x, SSD 2x, HDD 1x
Display(s) Dual monitor 1080p for life!
Case NZXT Flow
Audio Device(s) ALC something-something
Power Supply Good ol' Corsair
Mouse Good ol' Corsair
Keyboard Cheap Logitech wireless keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro
I have seen people with z200s laying on their sides and under monitors. I suppose you could try that before you replace them since you like them.
Tried that, the sound stage went out the back door. Things just sound weird, with the normal upright position sound came out exactly at head/ear level, laying them on the sides gave this weird lower sound source... or something I don't know how to describe it except for the sound came out at lower position.

I'm using a topping digital amp, with usb/optical and coax input, 30wpc and some nice little teac lsw-h01 speakers, which are small enough to go under my monitor. sound quality is very good.
Just curious, how's the sound stage of a flat standing speaker like that? I used to own Altec Lansing 221 and almost all new Altec Langsing speakers are slightly tilted. Better sound stage?

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
I'm still using my ancient Cambridge Soundworks (Creative) 4.1 speakers set up. They're nice and small, but punch out some good sound.
speakers.jpg

Try Creative, here
https://us.creative.com/p/speakers

D

Deleted member 24505

Tried that, the sound stage went out the back door. Things just sound weird, with the normal upright position sound came out exactly at head/ear level, laying them on the sides gave this weird lower sound source... or something I don't know how to describe it except for the sound came out at lower position.

Just curious, how's the sound stage of a flat standing speaker like that? I used to own Altec Lansing 221 and almost all new Altec Langsing speakers are slightly tilted. Better sound stage?

They sound pretty fine to me, yes. also have a piano black finish on them, which looks nicer than any logitech plastic