• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

m2npv-vm problems?

Tomlo

Are you plugging in the 4-pin 12v line for the cpu, If your psus are older than they may not have one at all, you need that 4pin 12v for any new CPU's.

Without RAM and the CPU in the motherboard does it still shut off after a few seconds?

If it does then their is either something wrong with the PSU or motherboard, try the both PSU's just incase, if neither of them work (outside of the case) with nothing but the motherboard then just take the motherboard back, the lights should light and the fans should spin until YOU turn it off.

Make sure the PSU's work in other pc's also.

If it keeps spinning without the cpu and ram then buy a new psu and if it still doesnt work you could always take back the motherboard for another...

Anyway 400-450watts its what you will need, I would recomend 25A on the 12v line(s).

Do not buy that LC powersupply, they are known to use cheap parts.

Good Brands:
Fortron
Sparkle
Antec
Enermax
Zalman
Tagan
Seasonic
Zippy/Emacs
PC Power and Cooling

Remember watts does not really matter at all just how many amps are on the 12v line(s), you can tell a good psu from a cheap one usually just by lifting them up (Heavier = Better), also alot of companies like to trick you by having similar names.

Last edited:

luxonis

Hiho Tomlo,

- I'm right plugging in the 4-pin 12v line for the cpu. (it is an ATX 2.0 for the Bestec PSU, but the Enemax PSU is 1.2, so no 4-pin 12v line)
- Without the RAM and CPU the light of the mobo is lit, the fan's PSU spin and it's not shutting down after a few seconds.

- I've bought a new mobo (Abit NF-M2 nView) and I have a similar problem (not exactly the same), I explain myself :

> This time, I got a black screen but it doesn't shut down, but I can't do anything ... (no post)
My configuration is the same (excepted the mobo) :
- Abit NF-M2 nView (NForce 430)
- CPU: AMD A64 X2 3800+
- Case and PSU: ASUS TA-551 with PSU : Bestec ATX 2.0 300Watts 18Ampères on 12Volts (max total power 350 W)
- LCD : LCD Hyundai 19" (VGA & DVI)
- HD : Maxtor 250 Go SATA 2
- DVD : Pioneer DVR-111 (IDE)
- Memory: Corsair Value Select 2 x 512 Mb PC4200 (DDR2 533 Mhz)
- Video: 6150 - On-board (VGA & DVI)
- Sound: On-board (7.1)

I've checked the RAM (1 module plugged), the CPU (I test with 2 CPUs A64 X2 3800+), there "No Signal" message on the screen. I have no speaker on the mobo so I don't know more about beeps. The LCD screen have been tested on another PC, but is it possible that the LCD 19" is not supported by the mobo at the post, it is plugged on the VGA of the mobo to VGA of the screen.

I'm bored ... So I'm gonna buy a new PSU at least. I've read test about the LC PSU that shows good results, if you were me you should advice me to buy a PSU that trusts ?

Last edited:

Tomlo

Your Monitor should work with really any pc, just use the VGA until you can get the computer started and drivers and such before using the DVI.

Once again it is your PSU, you need one with the 12v line, that enermax without the 12v line would likely be stong enough but lacks the plug.

I dont know any european shops or even the currencys conversion rates so I cant pick a good psu for you in your buget. I have personally never tried LC psu's before so I cant say they are bad from experience but I have heard complaints.

Here is a very good guide for finding a good powersupply in your price range, it also contains a list of companys with poor products:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

Anyway I hope you didnt buy your parts online, I have been torrmented by restocking fees a few times too many myself...

luxonis

Hi Tomlo,

I've bought a good PSU (Xilence 550 W 31 A on 12 V) I plug it on the Asus and it doesn't change anything.

I plug the PSU on my ABIT NF-M2-NView Mobo and it works, I got bios, I got post, I got screen.

! Problem ! I wanted to mount the mobo (the abit) in the case and when I plugged the front Switch Power Boutton (2 pin) I made an error because I plug it on the Reset Boutton. I didn't see my mistake in a first time, I tried to start the PC and it make a "bzzzzzz" sound near the CPU, so I check my cables and I see that I have made error on the plugs. Now, I have no bios, no post, no screen. I tried a clear CMOS, but it doesn't work. On the manual it is written that "Please pay attention when connecting these headers. A wrong orientation will only cause the LED not lighting, but a wrong connection of the switches could cause system malfunction."

So, is my mobo dead ? (the ABIT one) :wtf:

Last edited:

Tomlo

wow, a button is a button it doesnt matter if you set the reset button as the power, I have never seen any major problems hooking the front panel connectors incorrectly before.

Im 99.9% certin your abit mobo is dead, that "bzzzz" sound from near the cpu is definately comming from one of the electrolytic capacitors near the cpu socket.

They look like these:
http://www.allproducts.com.tw/manufacture1/chinsan/rb.jpg

Look to see if any of yours are blown or leaking, If any of them are bad then its very likely that your motherboard is trash.

Companies like to stick those huge capacitors right next to the cpu socket, and very often people smack them when installing the heatsink/fan to the cpu causing damage it, either you smacked a capacitor when installing it into the case or your grounded your motherboard on the case causing damage.

Check all the rest of your components in something else, If a capacitor did blow then there is a very good chance that your processor and ram are shot also...

luxonis

It could be what is writtent on the manual ?

"Please pay attention when connecting these headers. A wrong orientation will only cause the LED not lighting, but a wrong connection of the switches could cause system malfunction."

I hope so, because I didn't break the capacitor, it's only since I switch power button on something else that power pin that it doesn't work anymore.

Tomlo

What exactly happens when you start your pc up, after attaching the switches/leds correctly?

luxonis

Hiho,

I bought the same mobo, and now it works ! (good revision of the bios, so support of the CPU)
But I can't install the audio drivers, can you help me ?

Tomlo

I cant read what the message says but usually drivers off cd's are old and outdated. Go to the asus website and look for the newest drivers for your operating system.