• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Making Audio Enhancers Work on Windows

HexedHavoc

Hi All!

New here, just found this forum from here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...dia-hdmi-sound-drivers-/post/5921475/#5921475

I use a samsung qled tv as my computer display (via hdmi) and just recently hooked up some 5.1 speakers to it the TV via optical cable. Seems to work fine but most sources from PC are just 2 channel... The above thread mentions some instructions (pasted below) that can enable/force? 5.1 dolby digital on the hdmi connection or something?

1. Go to https://puresoftapps.blogspot.com/2018/04/realtek-apo-driver.html and download the latest setup version.
2. Install Dolby Home Theater V4 / Dolby Advanced Audio V2.
3. Open FX Configurator.
4. Click Product Config Tool.
5. Select Dolby Home Theater V4.
6. Click Apply Product Settings to Selected Endpoints.
7. Open Sound Control Panel, go to the Advanced tab, and in the default format option, select Dolby Digital.
8. Go enjoy DDL. P.s. this also provide you with Dolby's upmixing solution, which is a direct precursor to the current Dolby surround upmixer, the upmixer used on modern Dolby Atmos receivers for their upmixing.

But it is a little confusing... when I run the APO Driver installation I'm met with this screen so I don't know what to select XD
downlsdfoad.jpg

Any help is appreciated! :) Thanks!!

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
Hi All!

New here, just found this forum from here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...dia-hdmi-sound-drivers-/post/5921475/#5921475

I use a samsung qled tv as my computer display (via hdmi) and just recently hooked up some 5.1 speakers to it the TV via optical cable. Seems to work fine but most sources from PC are just 2 channel... The above thread mentions some instructions (pasted below) that can enable/force? 5.1 dolby digital on the hdmi connection or something?

1. Go to https://puresoftapps.blogspot.com/2018/04/realtek-apo-driver.html and download the latest setup version.
3. Open FX Configurator.
7. Open Sound Control Panel, go to the Advanced tab, and in the default format option, select Dolby Digital.
8. Go enjoy DDL. P.s. this also provide you with Dolby's upmixing solution, which is a direct precursor to the current Dolby surround upmixer, the upmixer used on modern Dolby Atmos receivers for their upmixing.

But it is a little confusing... when I run the APO Driver installation I'm met with this screen so I don't know what to select XD
View attachment 114965

Any help is appreciated! :) Thanks!!
It is the PCEE4 one. The "Dolby Home Theater V4 / Dolby Advanced Audio V2" name was later changed.
Try the DS1 instead of PCEE4. It is Dolby Digital Plus software. It also can do DDP.
Install it.
P.s. I was the original poster there.

HexedHavoc

Sorry, I have some more questions :p First let me clarify how I've got my set up and what I'm trying to achieve...

I have my PC into TV (samsung 2018 qled) via HDMI cable and use hdmi audio in windows and disabled onboard sound.
I then have an Optical cable from the TV to my crappy old dvd home theatre receiver which then has 5.1 speakers connected.

If I play Dolby Digital files in VLC I notice it does pass through correctly... but If I watch youtube 5.1 test videos or even play some games, the 5.1 doesn't work. If I watch those same test videos using my TV browser it works... I assume because its a direct connection from TV to Receiver.

I've also changed Extension Blocks in CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) so that Speaker Setup has 5.1 and also set LPCM to 6 channels under Audio Formats. That allowed me to select 5.1 in windows but didn't seem to change anything :( Not sure if adding more Audio Formats would fix this?

Will the above APO method make it so everything will use Dolby Digital or something? Or am I confused :p

Sorry, I have some more questions :p First let me clarify how I've got my set up and what I'm trying to achieve...

I have my PC into TV (samsung 2018 qled) via HDMI cable and use hdmi audio in windows and disabled onboard sound.
I then have an Optical cable from the TV to my crappy old dvd home theatre receiver which then has 5.1 speakers connected.

If I play Dolby Digital files in VLC I notice it does pass through correctly... but If I watch youtube 5.1 test videos or even play some games, the 5.1 doesn't work. If I watch those same test videos using my TV browser it works... I assume because its a direct connection from TV to Receiver.

I've also changed Extension Blocks in CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) so that Speaker Setup has 5.1 and also set LPCM to 6 channels under Audio Formats. That allowed me to select 5.1 in windows but didn't seem to change anything :( Not sure if adding more Audio Formats would fix this?

Will the above APO method make it so everything will use Dolby Digital or something? Or am I confused :p

Desktop versions of Dolby Audio & Home Theater (DS1, PCEE3, PCEE4) does not support 5.1 & 7.1

Use UWP versions of Dolby Atmos in Windows 10, it supports 7.1, just edit it's xml file & set it to 7.1

First Install Realtek UAD, it's UWP version for windows 10, set to 7.1 in speaker properties

Then install APO Driver & install Dolby UWP app of your choice

HexedHavoc

This will then make 5.1 work with games/youtube etc? Where do I get the Realtek UAD from?

This will then make 5.1 work with games/youtube etc? Where do I get the Realtek UAD from?

Yes it works with every possible media type files & formats

Here is the link for Realtek UAD Driver - https://minhaskamal.github.io/DownGit/#/home?url=https://github.com/alanfox2000/realtek-universal-audio-driver/tree/master/UAD/Realtek

Link for Realtek Audio Control UWP App link - https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...ontrol/9p2b8mcsvpln&sa=D&ust=1548331952574000

================================================
Instructions
-----------------

NOTE: Uninstall all third party previous audio drivers & audio enhancers, except High Defination Audio Device

Enable Developer mode (requires Internet to fully enable it)' from - Settings/ Update & Security

Dolby UWP Apps enables 7.1, if Realtek UAD installed

Make sure Internet Connection is active

Install required UWP .NET Freameworks & Runtimes

You can also install Realtek UAD manually by following below instructions
==============================================================================================================================
1 - Open Realtek Folder, Open folder 'Codec_XXXX'

2 - Right click on 'HDXRT', click 'Install', if it prompts to reboot, then Reboot Windows

3 - Now open 'Realtek' folder, go to 'CodecExtOem_RTK_XXXX'

4 - Right click on 'HDX_GenericExt_RTK'

5 - Install 'Realtek Audio Control' UWP App, Open app to see if it is working properly or not

6 - Apply this method if Realtek UWP App shows RPC Error, Open folder 'RealtekService_XXX', right click on 'RealtekService', & select 'Install'

7 - To conform successful installation, '(Realtek(R) Audio)' should appear like this in speaker proporties

8 - Now install APO Driver, during installation, select - Dolby DAX API Service 3.20201.262.0, remember this 3.20201.262.0 versions changes with dolby driver updates, but choose this option only for dolby v3

9 - Run FX Configurator, make sure Endpoints is selected as '[Active]Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)'

10 - Click on 'Product Config Tool'

11 - Select which 'Dolby UWP Products' you want to install,

12 - Click on 'Apply Product Settings to Selected Endpoints'

13 - Now Click on 'Restart Windows Audio Service', close the app,

14 - Now copy 'Default' xml file based on which Dolby UWP App you installed - copy xml file ' to - C:\Windows\System32\dolbyaposvc

15 - Now install Dolby UWP App based on config selected in 'Product Config Tool', restart 'Dolby DAX API Service' from Task Manager

16 - Now open Your selected Dolby UWP App, if shows error, wait for sometime till folder'Dolby' is created itself in this location (C:\Program Files\Common Files)

17 - If still shows errors, uninstall everthing you installed, reboot & reinstall with same instructions with working active internet connection

Last edited:
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Desktop versions of Dolby Audio & Home Theater (DS1, PCEE3, PCEE4) does not support 5.1 & 7.1

Use UWP versions of Dolby Atmos in Windows 10, it supports 7.1, just edit it's xml file & set it to 7.1

First Install Realtek UAD, it's UWP version for windows 10, set to 7.1 in speaker properties

Then install APO Driver & install Dolby UWP app of your choice
DS1, PCEE4 fully support 5.1,7.1 They use what Dolby called the next generation surround decoder. Personally tested. Also does Stereo to 5.1,7.1.
PCEE3 does Dolby ProLogic 2x.
Your solution is no good for him, as he is using ARC. ARC output is the PC HDMI output.
HexedHavoc needs DDL over HDMI. He does not need onboard audio.
@HexedHavoc You need DDL for Youtube 5.1, as LPCM 6ch is not possible over SPDIF, which ARC is based upon.
Use my solution for 5.1 out.
OMER's solution requires you to use onboard realtek spdif.
If you have SPDIF on your board, then use OMER's method and hook your home theater to your motherboard SPDIF.

Last edited:
DS1, PCEE4 fully support 5.1,7.1 They use what Dolby called the next generation surround decoder. Personally tested. Also does Stereo to 5.1,7.1.
PCEE3 does Dolby ProLogic 2x.
Your solution is no good for him, as he is using ARC. ARC output is the PC HDMI output.
HexedHavoc needs DDL over HDMI. He does not need onboard audio.
@HexedHavoc You need DDL for Youtube 5.1, as LPCM 6ch is not possible over SPDIF, which ARC is based upon.
Use my solution for 5.1 out.
OMER's solution requires you to use onboard realtek spdif.
If you have SPDIF on your board, then use OMER's method and hook your home theater to your motherboard SPDIF.

I thought better to give him a better & newer version of dolby audio service which is widely implemented by oem's in laptops, pcee4 is old & used by small number of people

As you know UWP Dolby audio system is more improved version of dolby audio systems, that's the reason more OEM'S are implementing in their laptops more than any other audio technologies like dts

I'am just helping him out by giving him more improved version of dolby audio systems

Everyone wants latest things in market, only few people uses pcee4, i'am not criticizing your method, but latest is always is better & more improved

It's upto HexedHavoc to choose between old one or the latest improved one

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
I thought better to give him a better & newer version of dolby audio service which is widely implemented by oem's in laptops, pcee4 is old & used by small number of people

As you know UWP Dolby audio system is more improved version of dolby audio systems, that's the reason more OEM'S are implementing in their laptops more than any other audio technologies like dts

I'am just helping him out by giving him more improved version of dolby audio systems

Everyone wants latest things in market, only few people uses pcee4, i'am not criticizing your method, but latest is always is better & more improved

It's upto HexedHavoc to choose between old one or the latest improved one
You did say that the old software does not support stereo. That was wrong.
Even if improved, I rarely recommend users of APO driver to use anything later than DS1. That is because the effort and additional steps required is not that rewarding in audio quality for a newbie to perform. On my 5.1, I did not see any improvements in stereo upscaling with DS1 and DAX 3.2.*.
I personally use Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming. I love it, but to a new user installing that is more prone to mistakes. So I tell them to do it easy by using DS1.
Finally, that user requires DDL over HDMI (User is using HDMI ARC). Putting DDL with DAX 3.2.* is much more work.
You might do it, and troubleshoot any problems if the setup doesn't work. A newbie may not, and abandon the procedure completly.

You did say that the old software does not support stereo. That was wrong.
Even if improved, I rarely recommend users of APO driver to use anything later than DS1. That is because the effort and additional steps required is not that rewarding in audio quality for a newbie to perform. On my 5.1, I did not see any improvements in stereo upscaling with DS1 and DAX 3.2.*.
I personally use Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming. I love it, but to a new user installing that is more prone to mistakes. So I tell them to do it easy by using DS1.
Finally, that user requires DDL over HDMI (User is using HDMI ARC). Putting DDL with DAX 3.2.* is much more work.
You might do it, and troubleshoot any problems if the setup doesn't work. A newbie may not, and abandon the procedure completly.

Yes, that's the deliberate mistake i did to make him use new dolby

But i too use Dolby Atmos Speaker System for Gaming

I understand, did he asked you for help personally, if he did, help him with pcee4

HexedHavoc

*head explodes*
just so you guys know... I am not using the HDMI ARC port... my receiver is very old and doesn't support it :/ I am using optical cable from tv to receiver... does this matter?

Should I just get a 5.1 sound card that has optical? Something like .. Asus Xonar DG PCI 5.1 ?

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
*head explodes*
just so you guys know... I am not using the HDMI ARC port... my receiver is very old and doesn't support it :/ I am using optical cable from tv to receiver... does this matter?
Should I just get a 5.1 sound card that has optical? Something like .. Asus Xonar DG PCI 5.1 ?
Your setup is just like ARC.
ARC is SPDIF over HDMI from TV to receiver + remote control functionality. It was made to reduce cable clutter between DVD home theater who used two cables to connect to TV; HDMI from DVD to TV for video and SPDIF from TV to DVD, and made it only one.
Thus proceed as I described, or if your motherboard has SPDIF, use OMER's method.

Last edited:

HexedHavoc

Nah no SPDIF on mobo. To use ARC doesn't my receiver need to support it and then I also need to use a hdmi cable from said receiver to the TV's ARC port? Or am I mistaken?

At the moment I have PC to TV via HDMI 1 port.

Optical Cable to Receiver.

My TV does have an Arc Port which is HDMI 4.... but my receiver is from like 2008 and dont think it supports it?

My TV is Samsung Q6FN ... here is its input specs: http://prntscr.com/mbveco

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
ARC is a bundle of classic HDMI and SPDIF.
Don't mind all that; just do my steps, and DDL will be enabled on your system.

HexedHavoc

One thing I don't understand is how the Realtek stuff works... dont I need a realtek chipset or something?

what would be doing the processing?

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
One thing I don't understand is how the Realtek stuff works... dont I need a realtek chipset or something?

what would be doing the processing?
You absolutely do need a Realtek chipset and your receiver connected to it via SPDIF. If your motherboard does not have SPDIF, forget all of OMER's post.

HexedHavoc

So I should just do this?

3. Open FX Configurator.

Method disadvantages: This will most probably break protected audio transfer, or protected audio may not be encoded.

Do I need to worry about the possible audio protection breaking? XD

Last edited:
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
So I should just do this?

3. Open FX Configurator.

Method disadvantages: This will most probably break protected audio transfer, or protected audio may not be encoded.

Do I need to worry about the possible audio protection breaking? XD
Some updates:
2. Install PCEE4 7.***.
5. Select Dolby Home Theater V4 (HDMI).
7. Similar instructions, but if you do not find Dolby Digital available, redo step 5 with Dolby Home Theater V4 (Analog).

Protected Audio: HDCP protection for Blu-Ray/Netflix content.
This limitation has now been removed.

HexedHavoc

Ok so I've got the APO downloaded... and I just downloaded DolbyHomeTheater.msi and .reg and DolbyAdvancedAudio.msi and .reg...

thats all I need right?

I still don't understand what does the processing with this method XD

Last edited:
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Ok so I've got the APO downloaded... and I just downloaded DolbyHomeTheater.msi and .reg and DolbyAdvancedAudio.msi and .reg...

thats all I need right?

I still don't understand what does the processing with this method XD
No regfile needed, Advanced audio not needed.
Install APO Driver first.

HexedHavoc

Please add me on discord CityCultivator :)

I'm paranoid I'm gonna do something wrong, so would be nice to at least have live text via discord while I do it :p thanks

Alanfox2000 can you help me

I sometimes hear fluctuated audio, cracking sound with all dolby uwp apps, it is happening even with original xml's, do you know what's the cause of this, do we need any extra config for fully stable audio, audio problem is like sometimes audio distorted, crackling, fluctuating, please give me a solution

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Alanfox2000 can you help me

I sometimes hear fluctuated audio, cracking sound with all dolby uwp apps, it is happening even with original xml's, do you know what's the cause of this, do we need any extra config for fully stable audio, audio problem is like sometimes audio distorted, crackling, fluctuating, please give me a solution
Is your CPU running at 100% at any moment the cracking occurs?

Is your CPU running at 100% at any moment the cracking occurs?

No not at all, it normal, it's not just me,, another user JAYCE using dolby gaming uwp has same issue, sometimes audio stutters, everything is great, but while playing games this stuttering & lagging is frequent, in movies profile it is less frequent, but while gaming it increases, but stuttering is there

I think every user of dolby uwp apps has this issue, they just need to listen carefully, it's there, it's not flawless, it has audio stuttering issue in all dolby uwp apps, even with original untouched xmls

I tried with & without Realtek UAD, it's same, this is the issue of dolby drivers or xml's config, not sure which of these two actually making this audio stuttering

Alanfox seems uninterested, not at all replying, i asked personally & in main forums, he is not responding