• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Making Audio Enhancers Work on Windows

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
System Name Metal-Tom-PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme
Cooling Boxed
Memory Mushkin DDR4 16 GB
Video Card(s) ASUS RX560 4GB
Storage 1x M2-SSD @256GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @120GB/1x Intenso SATA-SSD @240GB/2x WD10EZRX @1TB/1,5 TB HDD
Display(s) 1x Samsung LE40F86BDX (TV)/1x Samsung SyncMaster T240
Case Thermaltake Kandalf LCS
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220A
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 80+ 750W
Mouse Logitech M210
Keyboard Logitech K260
Software Win 10 Pro x64 v20H2
It does help if you could translate the german parts into english, and post it here as text.

Here's a part of the DISM.log File attached, as the edited Batchfile too

Attachments

• DISM.zip
    3 KB · Views: 78
  • DISM_INSTALL.zip
    498 bytes · Views: 97
Last edited:

AC0Z03X553

I'm failing to make it work. Neither DTS, Sound Blaster or Dolby. My initial situation is

- HP Bang & Olufsen Audio​
- Realtek ALC3258 Codec​
- legacy driver version 6.0.1.8639 (tested both FF00 and FF04 and older version 8412)​
- APO driver 2.4.1​

Question: Can I mix legacy drivers with UWP audio enhancers? I guess not. Also not sure what the 'hardware specified' note means.

My non working example scenario for Dolby Atmos / Dolby Atmos Sound System on Desktop:
Listing equals order of installation.

1. HDA driver 6.0.1.8639 with HP audio control manager (can't get rid off it)
2. APO driver 2.4.1 with Dolby DAX3 v1.1.8.14
3. Dolby Atmos Windows SDK v1.1.7.23
4. Dolby Atmos Windows APP v1.1.7.22
5. Running 'Product Config Tool' with 'Dolby Atmos/Atmos Sound System Desktop App (Win10+)'
6. Final PC restart

Everything installs without error. Dolby Atmos app shows up in tray. But I cannot launch it nor can I enable Dolby Atmos from context menu.

What am I doing wrong?

Have anyone else besides @alanfox2000 got the puresoftapps's Apo driver 2.4.1 Dolby Atmos for gaming to work without Dolby Atmos driver error message when opening app up? If so let me know how, because it doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
I'm failing to make it work. Neither DTS, Sound Blaster or Dolby. My initial situation is

- HP Bang & Olufsen Audio​
- Realtek ALC3258 Codec​
- legacy driver version 6.0.1.8639 (tested both FF00 and FF04 and older version 8412)​
- APO driver 2.4.1​

Question: Can I mix legacy drivers with UWP audio enhancers? I guess not. Also not sure what the 'hardware specified' note means.

My non working example scenario for Dolby Atmos / Dolby Atmos Sound System on Desktop:
Listing equals order of installation.

1. HDA driver 6.0.1.8639 with HP audio control manager (can't get rid off it)
2. APO driver 2.4.1 with Dolby DAX3 v1.1.8.14
3. Dolby Atmos Windows SDK v1.1.7.23
4. Dolby Atmos Windows APP v1.1.7.22
5. Running 'Product Config Tool' with 'Dolby Atmos/Atmos Sound System Desktop App (Win10+)'
6. Final PC restart

Everything installs without error. Dolby Atmos app shows up in tray. But I cannot launch it nor can I enable Dolby Atmos from context menu.

What am I doing wrong?
Hardware Specified: Software usually must be licensed to hardware; may not work on all hardware.
Do product config tool before installing control applications.
If you want Atmos, try the UWP version.
I recommend you to split the outputs indepandent and apply audio effects on headphone channels, so as not to cause bugs on the internal speaker.

Have anyone else besides @alanfox2000 got the puresoftapps's Apo driver 2.4.1 Dolby Atmos for gaming to work without Dolby Atmos driver error message when opening app up? If so let me know how, because it doesn't work for me.

It has been working fine for me, I tested it quite a lot today. Used Avolute, Dolby, DTS, others with it on different drivers, no problems. I had been using dolby atmos ssfg for the past couple weeks with DDL on working great. I thought I was happy until an itch made me try DTSi with SS3 as the APO and I'm loving it atm. Despite my past gripes with the SS3 that came on my board, I only ever tied it with DDL, I don't know why, but to me it is 500x better with DTSi. Without knowing for sure it seems a lot more friendly with the sonic sound stage expander, and I love it. Just running around in ESO the way the environment sounds is nice.

It has been working fine for me, I tested it quite a lot today. Used Avolute, Dolby, DTS, others with it on different drivers, no problems. I had been using dolby atmos ssfg for the past couple weeks with DDL on working great. I thought I was happy until an itch made me try DTSi with SS3 as the APO and I'm loving it atm. Despite my past gripes with the SS3 that came on my board, I only ever tied it with DDL, I don't know why, but to me it is 500x better with DTSi. Without knowing for sure it seems a lot more friendly with the sonic sound stage expander, and I love it. Just running around in ESO the way the environment sounds is nice.
Was there anything you did differently to make Dolby work with 2.4.1 Apo driver? The reason why I am asking is because, i have the latest frameworks and Runtimes and also the latest Dolby Atmos gaming app version and presets and it still didn't work for me and gave me the error message about reinstalling Dolby drivers.
Even
@OMER had same issue as I did.

Was there anything you did to make Dolby work with 2.4.1 Apo driver. The reason why I am asking is because, i have the latest frameworks and Runtimes and also the latest Dolby Atmos gaming app version.

no nothing out of the ordinary, I made sure all the registry was cleaned of Dolby entries and I always clear the render and capture MMDEVICES part of the registry when i install a driver. Are you sure you haven't installed a driver that took control away from apo driver? I did that unknowingly once and its wouldn't work showing driver error bc I had APO driver to use 3.3 XML. Had the same version API and etc., it just wasn't the ones that APO installed and it messed it up. Are you using product config so its just Dolby on selected ep? No realtek.

no nothing out of the ordinary, I made sure all the registry was cleaned of Dolby entries and I always clear the render and capture MMDEVICES part of the registry when i install a driver. Are you sure you haven't installed a driver that took control away from apo driver? I did that unknowingly once and its wouldn't work showing driver error bc I had APO driver to use 3.3 XML. Had the same version API and etc., it just wasn't the ones that APO installed and it messed it up. Are you using product config so its just Dolby on selected ep? No realtek.
Well, for the time being, I have been using a Dolby atmos+Realtek Uad mod. But before didn't have anything installed, but It didn't work, so I clean installed Windows 10, still wasn't working. Also I did use product config to install then restart audio service and before 2.4.1. it worked fine.

Well, for the time being, I have been using a Dolby atmos+Realtek Uad mod. But before didn't have anything installed, but It didn't work, so I clean installed Windows 10, still not working.

https://dldolby.blogspot.com/ This one? He does a lot of things right, but I still had to tweak with FX config to get it right. Yes if you installed this it took control away form APO, this is the one that did it to me lol. Its how he moves the CLSI up from Composite SFX and EPFX to actual SFX and EPX like old legacy drivers. I don't know why he does it after all the work to turn the legacy to the UAD, just to use legacy configurations...Have to give him props on his SPDIF with Atmos. It was crossest I have see to out of box of everyone's. This driver is where I learned to use the analog version of PCEE3 CLSI to apply DDL, cool find by him I stole :/

https://dldolby.blogspot.com/ This one? He does a lot of things right, but I still had to tweak with FX config to get it right. Yes if you installed this it took control away form APO, this is the one that did it to me lol. Its how he moves the CLSI up from Composite SFX and EPFX to actual SFX and EPX like old legacy drivers. I don't know why he does it after all the work to turn the legacy to the UAD, just to use legacy configurations...Have to give him props on his SPDIF with Atmos. It was crossest I have see to out of box of everyone's. This driver is where I learned to use the analog version of PCEE3 CLSI to apply DDL, cool find by him I stole :/
Yeah, this is the website, the mod I have been using. Do you think I need to clean registries? if so can you let me know what registries to delete to make 2.4.1 Apo driver work if you don't mind?

Last edited:
Well, for the time being, I have been using a Dolby atmos+Realtek Uad mod. But before didn't have anything installed, but It didn't work, so I clean installed Windows 10, still wasn't working. Also I did use product config to install then restart audio service and before 2.4.1. it worked fine.

If you're doing it like you sound like you are don't do that. Clean and install drivers properly, uninstall, clean registry, boot into safe mode, use DDU, boot back in, registry clean again, make sure dolbyapo in system32 is deleted. Install factory driver, use product config on your ep, don't restart the service again after using product config, it does it already. After using product config I throw in the whatever .xml I have set up for dolby. Then reset the system and finally start driver. Should be fine with that.

Driver mods, then installing APO driver is not something I would not recommend. If you have a specific mod installed, make sure all of the APO drivers that APO driver has are not installed and running. You can use FX config still, just don't let APO driver handle the actual APO's. This program is best meant for factory drivers because then it knows where to go to grab what needed etc. Modded drivers already have set resources allocated which could throw everything off.

Yeah, this is the website, the mod I have been using. Do you think I need to clean registries? if so can you let me know what registries to delete to make 2.4.1 Apo driver work if you don't mind?

You can get away using CC cleaners registry clean if you restart and uninstall drivers properly. Its going to take a few restarts because they cannot get cleaned from reg until they are fully purged form the system. As I said, if you uninstall, the use cc cleaner, boot into safe mode, use DDU but don't restart from safe mode after using it, then use cc cleaner to clean reg again while in safe mode, boot back in use cc cleaner again, reboot then install drivers. You should be good. Deleting the render and capture in registry is not always needed.

If you're doing it like you sound like you are don't do that. Clean and install drivers properly, uninstall, clean registry, boot into safe mode, use DDU, boot back in, registry clean again, make sure dolbyapo in system32 is deleted. Install factory driver, use product config on your ep, don't restart the service again after using product config, it does it already. After using product config I throw in the whatever .xml I have set up for dolby. Then reset the system and finally start driver. Should be fine with that.

Driver mods, then installing APO driver is not something I would not recommend. If you have a specific mod installed, make sure all of the APO drivers that APO driver has are not installed and running. You can use FX config still, just don't let APO driver handle the actual APO's. This program is best meant for factory drivers because then it knows where to go to grab what needed etc. Modded drivers already have set resources allocated which could throw everything off.
What do you mean by don't let Apo driver handle the actual Apo's?

What do you mean by don't let Apo driver handle the actual Apo's?

when you install APO driver it ask what drivers to install, the ones that are picked are meant to be managed by APO driver. If you install a modded driver for atmos example, then install APO driver and tell it to install dolby services again, or vise versa, you're asking for confusion.

So if you install a modded driver the you should uninstall apo driver completely unless you don't check any of the apo driver services and just use FX config to tweak or modify the endpoints.

when you install APO driver it ask what drivers to install, the ones that are picked are meant to be managed by APO driver. If you install a modded driver for atmos example, then install APO driver and tell it to install dolby services again, or vise versa, you're asking for confusion.

So if you install a modded driver the you should uninstall apo driver completely unless you don't check any of the apo driver services and just use FX config to tweak or modify the endpoints.
Before I had the modded driver, I had Realtek Uad driver from @alanfox2000's github link https://github.com/alanfox2000/realtek-universal-audio-driver and then I installed Apo driver and used product config and it would usually work.

Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
I thought @alanfox2000 said not to use APO driver with UAD drivers? Isn't that right?

I'm pretty sure its because a lot of the configs he has in there aren't suited for UAD, i know how to make them work. I have been testing non stop for the past few weeks lol. Like I've said in other post its how I've learned that its Realtek's MFX that's messing up DDL and DTSi. I have it down to I can produce and reproduce it, its the problem.

I have been using UAD drivers and UAD enhancers this whole time. I was unaware he even said to not use it lol.

So I should just use regular Realtek with Apo driver?

use whql UAD for your motherboard

if you look how windows configures the two legacy and UAD after install now you can see there is no difference. Its how people make the hybrid drivers now. Legacy drivers use the same ID's just under SFX EFX MFX DHCU drivers have them under Composite SFX MFX EFX, and have the universal service starting so the appx can launch. You can config legacy .ini to do the same thing.

using FX config I can take control away from the appx control panel and give it to a legacy one still on the system, or vise versa. They are the same UAD is just much lighter because it doesn't install all the apo's with each package, just the specific ones you need.

use whql UAD for your motherboard

if you look how windows configures the two legacy and UAD after install now you can see there is no difference. Its how people make the hybrid drivers now. Legacy drivers use the same ID's just under SFX EFX MFX DHCU drivers have them under Composite SFX MFX EFX, and have the universal service starting so the appx can launch. You can config legacy .ini to do the same thing.

using FX config I can take control away from the appx control panel and give it to a legacy one still on the system, or vise versa. They are the same UAD is just much lighter because it doesn't install all the apo's with each package, just the specific ones you need.
do you know where is the best place for the latest whql UAD?

found some at station drivers.com but it's pretty outdated compared to @alanfox2000's https://github.com/alanfox2000/realtek-universal-audio-driver Realtek UAD Drivers. Like the one i found at station drivers.com is 8591 version compared to alanfox's 8614 version.

also i just got 2.4.1 apo driver to work.

Update: I'm using latest uad from alanfox's and it works totally fine.

Last edited:
do you know where is the best place for the latest whql UAD?

found some at station drivers.com but it's pretty outdated compared to @alanfox2000's https://github.com/alanfox2000/realtek-universal-audio-driver Realtek UAD Drivers. Like the one i found at station drivers.com is 8591 version compared to alanfox's 8614 version.

also i just got 2.4.1 apo driver to work.

Update: I'm using latest uad from alanfox's and it works totally fine.

yeah those should be most updated, they are not modded.

Finally I get the APO driver 2.4.1 to work with my b360G mobo, using UAD driver that alanfox make and wait until everything from that driver work fine, (I means SS3 and SR3 and Realtek Control works) because in my cases, if those things was interupt by switching the APO to Dolby or other audio enchancers and disables the nahimic services, audio get crash or the APO driver and enhancer is not working. After everythings finished downloaded and installed from the store and run properly then install the APO driver and the enhancers that you want.
BTW the upmixing from Creative 720 is very good, so I combine its with Dolby Speaker Sys Gaming. (in my cases must disable nahimic services because its seem contradict with UWP RPC services.)

AC0Z03X553

If you want Atmos, try the UWP version.
I did. But there were no audio effect changes. UWP runtimes are installed.

Edit: Will never work until HP provides DCHU drivers for my 2018 notebook.

Only APO that works so far on my legacy drivers is DTS Studio Sound / Headphone X.
The DTS Digital Enhancement APO on the other hand doesn't. Any idea?

Last edited: