• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Meltdown and Spectre Patched BIOS for X58 Motherboards

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I just tried the x58USB3 BIOS and sadly i can't get it to work.

My board was BIOS version F2 and I wasn't able to install any newer Bios than F3 because those newer BIOSes are 2MB and the flash is formatted to 1MB only.

Found the solution by using a deprecated version of Gigabyte @bios, see here for instructions: https://www.tweaktownforum.com/foru...abyte/45693-q-flash-error-incorrect-file-size
@bios seems to ignore if the filesize or checksum does not match.

I can flash the original F5C version from Gigabyte and it works sort of. The System does not POST anymore when its hot (reset, restart, ctrl+alt+delete), but still manages to post every time when it is cold booted. Strange behaviour, but at least the original F5C BIOS sort of works.
I always enabled CMOS Clear and delete DMI pool Data when flashing any new BIOS.

But the NVME version simply does not POST. The only way to flash it was @bios again. Neither a DOS Booitstick works nor the integrated Q-flash. Is there some kind of magic involved?

If i flash it with the included FLASHSPI.EXE, the exe says " !!! BAD BIOS FILE !!" and the Qflash utility says the BIOS file is corrupted and will not allow it. I re-downloaded it 3 times and also tried a different USB Stick and made a New DOS bootstick with rufus twice.

Any ideas guys?

Use the @ bios utility from the first post.

Maybe the original BIOS was 1MB, but the chip itself is capable of 8MB, and 2MB ROMs should work fine on it.

2MB ROM files are more sensitive to modifcations.

System Name The Blind Grim Reaper
Processor Xeon X5675 Westmere-EP B1 SLBYL 4.20ghz @ 1.256v
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Noctua CP12 SE14, Redux Noctua 1500rpm fan Arctic F14 x3 for intake and exhaust
Memory Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 x6
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Single Fan Model
Storage Crucial mx300 750gb main system + 1TB mx500 for games and music
Display(s) 22 inch samsung curved
Case NZXT Phantom 530 black
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI through HDMI adaptor for output sound for turtlebeach x12 headset
Power Supply Antec HCG 850 watt
Mouse no brand
Keyboard normal usb keyboard
Software Windows 10 22H2 v1 (main is) and Windows 11 22H2 v2 on WD 250gb 7200rpm (testing purposes os)
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 = 2046cb

My board was BIOS version F2 and I wasn't able to install any newer Bios than F3 because those newer BIOSes are 2MB and the flash is formatted to 1MB only.

Found the solution by using a deprecated version of Gigabyte @bios, see here for instructions: https://www.tweaktownforum.com/foru...abyte/45693-q-flash-error-incorrect-file-size

I can flash the original F5C version from Gigabyte and it works sort of. The System does not POST anymore when its hot (reset, restart, ctrl+alt+delete), but still manages to post every time when it is cold booted. Strange behaviour, but at least the original F5C BIOS sort of works.
I always enabled CMOS Clear and delete DMI pool Data when flashing any new BIOS.

But the NVME version simply does not POST. The only way to flash it was @bios again. Neither a DOS Booitstick works nor the integrated Q-flash. Is there some kind of magic involved?

If i flash it with the included FLASHSPI.EXE, the exe says " !!! BAD BIOS FILE !!" and the Qflash utility says the BIOS file is corrupted and will not allow it. I re-downloaded it 3 times and also tried a different USB Stick and made a New DOS bootstick with rufus twice.

Any ideas guys?
Seems like the file you downloaded is either corrupted already or the bios chip is failing due to bit rot only way to fix that is either replace the bios chip entirely or use a external bios flasher to try and format the bios to a blank state then reflash the bios that originally came with the board. Then again it might be a possible case where the cpu isn't mounted correctly or have sustained pins damage or misaligned in the socket therefore it semi working or failing to post. Seems like the bios is edited to a point where the board refused to flash the modified bios is telling me is a wrong version of bios file for the motherboard in question is what I thinking

Any ideas guys?

Maybe the original BIOS was 1MB, but the chip itself is capable of 8MB, and 2MB ROMs should work fine on it.

I don't have that Board I have the x58UD3R V2 and had similar Issues, and as Regeneration mentioned the only fix was to use @bios in Windows to get around the change in File Size , after that I was able to upgrade to the latest Bios with no issues using Flashspi or Qflash etc.

Also make sure you have the Correct Motherboard Rev. of the Bios , for example mine is a Rev.2 of the UD3R.

KB

MaksDampf

Guys, first of all, i have to apologize. I had two threads open an i posted in the wrong thread.

I actually didn't try to update the meltdown/spectre BIOSes of this thread but the NVME ones form Ismail Hastanesi: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ards-nvme-m-2-ssd-bios-mod-collection.299867/

Thats is what i used. It works for BIOS Version F3n and F5C(orig) which are both 2MB. But not for Ismails 2MB NVME BIOS version, it'll always fail to start and then use the recovery BIOS to flash back version F2 (1MB).
Actually according to @bios the board has 8Mbit which sounds like just 1Mbyte?
Hm, i didn't make any mods myself.
Seems like the file you downloaded is either corrupted already or the bios chip is failing due to bit rot only way to fix that is either replace the bios chip entirely or use a external bios flasher to try and format the bios to a blank state then reflash the bios that originally came with the board.
It works fine now once the recovery has reflashed Version F2, so i don't think it is the BIOSchips. I have like reflashed 10 times already from the backup BIOS.
Then again it might be a possible case where the cpu isn't mounted correctly or have sustained pins damage or misaligned in the socket therefore it semi working or failing to post. Seems like the bios is edited to a point where the board refused to flash the modified bios is telling me is a wrong version of bios file for the motherboard in question is what I thinking
I put in the old i7-960 again (instead of x5675) and also downgraded to one stick of Ram, but it doesn't change anything. Both work rock stable in version F2.
Btw, with cold boot and hot i don't mean the actual temperature but that the power has to be switched off. It is just with version 5C (Beta BIOS) where it fails to post on a reboot. It starts reproducible if i cut the power for 3 seconds and then start it via powerbutton again.
I don't have that Board I have the x58UD3R V2 and had similar Issues, and as Regeneration mentioned the only fix was to use @bios in Windows to get around the change in File Size , after that I was able to upgrade to the latest Bios with no issues using Flashspi or Qflash etc.
Yes, i used @bios. I was already past the 2MB barrier multiple times but after each failed flashs i am back to F2 (1MB) again.
Also make sure you have the Correct Motherboard Rev. of the Bios , for example mine is a Rev.2 of the UD3R.

KB
It is the X58USB3 Rev1.0 - i can't find any board revision number for the BIOS i downloaded, i suppose there is only 1.0 then.

Been a long time but I am not sure you can update the Backup Bios with a 2mb Bios, ( you have 2 x 16bit looking at support site) so that is something you might have to put up with, hopefully the maker of the NVME Bios can help you out, as it sounds like the bios has issues with it's checksum or something.

*** added ----- Tweaktown is another place for modded/old Bios's too , for this board they have F5f in post 10....... Post 1 for newer boards too....

KB

Last edited:
System Name The Blind Grim Reaper
Processor Xeon X5675 Westmere-EP B1 SLBYL 4.20ghz @ 1.256v
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
Cooling Noctua CP12 SE14, Redux Noctua 1500rpm fan Arctic F14 x3 for intake and exhaust
Memory Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 x6
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Single Fan Model
Storage Crucial mx300 750gb main system + 1TB mx500 for games and music
Display(s) 22 inch samsung curved
Case NZXT Phantom 530 black
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI through HDMI adaptor for output sound for turtlebeach x12 headset
Power Supply Antec HCG 850 watt
Mouse no brand
Keyboard normal usb keyboard
Software Windows 10 22H2 v1 (main is) and Windows 11 22H2 v2 on WD 250gb 7200rpm (testing purposes os)
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 = 2046cb
That the thing about revision difference in the motherboard you may have to dump the bios that is on the motherboard and edit it with the modified data then reflashing it back on the board as that what I did for the Asus P6x58d-e in order to update the Marvell controller using available editor that is compatible which I think is the MMTool possibly. I had to dig around the internet with a fine comb to find the latest file for the Marvell controller to update the bios revision since it was out of date by a long shot. Not too sure what editor is used for editing gigabyte bios.

MaksDampf

There is only one Revision for this board.

The GA X58-USB3 was a lower cost second wave X58 board that was launched along the Gulftown i7 CPUs (980X, 990X).
It went on the shelf the same time as sandybridge and Z68, P67 motherboards. I guess the tech was already pretty solid by then that they never released another revision.
It is clearly based on the UD3R but they saved on the marvell SATA controller and used a cheaper 6phase VRM instead of the 24Phase one.

losada12

Hi friend could you help me with my bios my asus P6x58D-E motherboard

ID SSD M2

PCI\VEN_126F&DEV_2263&SUBSYS_2263126F&REV_03

PCI\VEN_126F&DEV_2263&SUBSYS_2263126F

PCI\VEN_126F&DEV_2263&CC_010802

PCI\VEN_126F&DEV_2263&CC_0108

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys! Please someone tell me where can i ask to add CPU microcode to my motherboard?
I have an Asrock X58 Extreme 6 Board and im currently waiting for a Xeon L5640 Cpu from Aliexpress...

I dont find in the cpu support list that CPU.

Please please

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Hi guys! Please someone tell me where can i ask to add CPU microcode to my motherboard?
I have an Asrock X58 Extreme 6 Board and im currently waiting for a Xeon L5640 Cpu from Aliexpress...

I dont find in the cpu support list that CPU.

Please please

Xeon L5640 shares same CPUID with the other Westmere series and there is no need to add microcode.

Just make sure the motherboard is flashed with the latest BIOS.

Xeon L5640 shares same CPUID with the other Westmere series and there is no need to add microcode.

Just make sure the motherboard is flashed with the latest BIOS.
Thank you for your time!
Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

Bumbapa

Hi!

I just could not make it work, I tried the modded bios but no success.

It is about a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 rev2, Intel Xeon x5675 CPU and Samsung 980 nvme.

What's wrong?

Attachments

• nvme.jpg
    nvme.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • nvmeid.jpg
    nvmeid.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 18
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
:( Please understand that tech support forums are places to learn AND to share what we have learned so others may benefit from our learning experiences. Simply saying “Done!”, “never mind” or “I fixed it” helps no one!

How did you fix it? If you discovered it was a newbie mistake or simple user error, join the club. We’ve all been there. That’s just part of the learning experience for newbies and experienced pros alike.

What did you do to resolve your issue?

Bumbapa

:( Please understand that tech support forums are places to learn AND to share what we have learned so others may benefit from our learning experiences. Simply saying “Done!”, “never mind” or “I fixed it” helps no one!

How did you fix it? If you discovered it was a newbie mistake or simple user error, join the club. We’ve all been there. That’s just part of the learning experience for newbies and experienced pros alike.

What did you do to resolve your issue?
Ohhh, sorry...
I was almost giving it up, sad that couldn't make the nvme Samsung 980 work on x58a-ud5/2r// & Yes, I'm a newbie..
I did look/search/read again and again on Win-Raid and here to find a Bios file updated with my ssd's data, but this wasn't enough, another important step was the way how to flash the bios(with all of the disks deattached), not in Windows but Dos + the settings within the integrated peripherials, and..... boom! it worked!

Sorry for my english.. it is not my mother language but I try to make it clear/understandable.

Thanks for everyone who made this thing possible!!! Hat off! It's magnific!
All the best..!

Greetings from Hungary,
N.Sándor

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Thanks! :) And your English is much better than many where English is their mother language. ;)